“Hmmm... Try's, but could be better”

McWilliam Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Right, to start it's fairly well located although being placed alongside a busy road does tend to add to the noise levels so that's why I requested a room to the rear although all you get for your view is a car park. The room itself was okay, the carpets could do with a good shampooing plus there were a few stains on the wall alongside the bed of what I don't know. The door to the room comes with a "deadbolt" for extra security... Ours was missing.... Looks like somebody managed to get through it at some stage!!.. We ate in the bar the first night, the food was pretty okay. On both mornings we had breakfast is the dining room (they claim its stylish.. I didn't see it!!)... Nothing on the buffet was labelled, no stickers or labels were there to tell you the difference between the types of breads, cereals or juices. Also, on the menu it shows a picture of a croissant... Not one to be found on the buffet... The cooked breakfasts were pretty good although the scrambled eggs were fairly oily too. The question I'd have to ask myself, "would I stay at the McWilliam again".. Sadly my answer would be know

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cmfoley21
mcwilliamparkhotel, Manager at McWilliam Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Hi there
Thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the McWilliam Park Hotel.

We agree that we been located next to a main road can lead to some rooms been nosier than others.
However we try to accommodate guests as much as possible with quieter rooms at the sides and rear of the hotel.

We are committed to ensuring all our guest bedrooms are of a 4* standard with regular programme of maintenance.

I have raised your points with our Accommodation & Maintenance departments as your room on this visit does not meet those standards.

Our Dining Room is currently undergoing a period of refurbishment and we are confident it will be meeting with all tastes and expectations.

Our Breakfast Buffet as a standard supplies croissants so I apologize on this instance they were not provided.

We hope that you will reconsider and visit us again at a future date.
If so please do not hesitate to contact me on my personal email and I am delighted to make the arrangements.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

We have stayed at the mcwilliam on numerous occasions. It is perfectly situated as a stop point close to galway sligo knock castlebar etc. Makes a great central point for a shopping weekend. The hotel itself is second to none. Rooms are spotless clean spacious and modern with really comfy beds. Foor in the bar and restaurant are really lovely and the menu in the restaurant changes nightly so you dont get bored. The staff are very friendly and quick to supply extra towels etc when asked. If I was to pick one negative it would be to have bigger tvs in the bedroom but this is a nitpick. They supply dvd player in each room which it a nice extra. All in all I love this hotel and cant wait to get back again

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank jackkiss1

Hi Jack
Thanks again for your comments.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with you and look forward to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Recently spent the weekend here, it was really brilliant. The hotel offers a bit of everything, great service, good food, a lovely leisure centre and a great spa. So if you want a good all round hotel, try this one. I went for a hot stone back massage while staying here and the experience was brilliant. Such a relaxing weekend. We ate in the hotel both nights and the variety and standard of the food was excellent. Also there was entertainment in the bar both nights which was very good and added an atmosphere to the bar area.Would recommend a stay here to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi Tracy
Thanks a million for your lovely comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Operations Manager.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Arrived at this hotel with great expectation's. Check in was quick and no problem's. Got to our room which looked tired and in need of a renovation. Had dinner in the bar. The staff here in this hotel are a disaster. It reminded me of Falty Towers. Our dinner was delivered to our table and the waitresss left our dinner plate down to us and tumbled the tray to the ground with all the cuttlery and vegetables aswell. That night we went to the dance hall to hear the music. It was like a lonely heart's club. All over 50s looking for a man or woman. Got to bed and was awoke my 4 or 5 people in a nearby room screaming and shouting at one another. This went on for about 20 minutes. At the breakfast the next morning we were sat at our table and then had to wait about 20 minutes to get served. When the breakfast finally arrived the waitress scalded me on the leg with boiling water from the teapot. I nearly lost the plot but said nothing. I will never never never stay in this dump again. The owner's should rename it Falty Towers - very appropiate i think.

Room Tip: Stay away and dont stay here. Travel the extra mile and get a better hotel which shouldent be hard
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fjenn

Hi there
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the McWilliam Park Hotel.

We are in the process of upgrading all our bedrooms ensuring that they remain what you would expect from a 4* Hotel.

We are disappointed that your dining experience in the bar was not a pleasant one.
Our staff are subject to ongoing training so that they can deliver the service you would expect from a 4* Hotel.
It appears on this occasion to be lacking for which we can only apologize and assure you we will work harder to ensure this does not happen in future.

With our entertainment we cater to a wide audience but appreciate that the music is not to everybody’s taste.
Therefore we have alternative music in Kavanaghs Bar.

We have our night staff trained to deal with any disturbances that should stop you from getting good nights sleep so I can only apologize if this was not dealt with at the time.

I do hope that you can stay with us again in the near future as we would like you to have an experience that is more in line with our ethos.

Please contact me on my personal email (alan@mcwilliamparkhotel.ie)and I will be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stopped for lunch on way back from west, decor like every other newish hotel outside dublin, two people poring over a computer in reception being watched by two bewildered old people, a tableau not encouraging interruption. By wandering around we found bar-carvery, the carvery from hell. Again there were about four people standing around not being served by 3 people behind counter; who all seemed to have specialised tasks that precluded them from offering service. awful overcooked veg and slop potatoes, disgusting sloggy chips. How do they stay in business ? Ten minutes to get some one "qualified" to take our money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mukdennnis
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I was shopping in Galway when i noticed a stand for this hotel. Overnight stay with a four course meal for 2 was just 99 euro so i got it as one of my gifts for my wife for christmas. The hotel looked great. Our room which was on the second floor was spaciour and clean, but the noise from the reception area at 3.00am was very bad and my wife had to get out of bed and tell them to keep it the noise down. The male changing room for the swimming pool, the floor was extremely wet, a wooden bench was situated in the middle of the floor, lockers seemed to have key locks (unsure if you could obtain one from reception area), but when changing my clothes got wet from the floor. The pool was nice. The food in the evening was very good and the service was excellent. Other than that we enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room that is any way near reception area as all night parties goes on and you will h...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Arrived at 15.00 room was not ready booked for €99 bed breakfast evening meal told to wait in bar . Ordered a coffee and scone which when arrived was more like a stone .
Staff did not seemed to interested in serving us
But once we got our room very spacious and bright
Went to the pool area which was of a high standard clean wArm friendly
Evening meal was fantastic so were the waiters very helpful and friendly
Only draw back was woken at 7.30 by a banging could not work out we're it was coming from until we went to breakfast
The door to the kitchen every time someone went through it

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank quo1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
The Western Hotel
#11 of 14 in Westport
Knock House Hotel
Knock House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knock

Been to McWilliam Park Hotel? Share your experiences!