“Excellent staff”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Sligo, Ireland
“Excellent staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I go regularly to this hotel mostly for dancing, it is always a good esperience. All the staff are lovely and always a good atmosphere. There is always a buzz in this hotel, the food is generally good in the restaurant but I personally dont like carvery..so try to give that a miss.....The rooms are fine but there are pictures on the walls of certain rooms, esp 135, and are of a very disturbing nature....I have to take them down...wonder if anyone else thinks so too! In general it is the staff who make this hotel so pleasant....from reception to the bar to the restaurant...they are all brilliant!

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are noisy traffic wise but rooms at the back can be over a boiler which can be no...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
County Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Despite the fact that was a very good hotel in many ways, I would have to say that I didn't get the best welcome / treatment on arrival. I booked a single room through booking.com which stated that the room was suitable for one adult with a cot /child's bed, which was ideal as I staying alone with my 21 month old. I requested a cot on booking. On arrival I spoke to a lady at the front desk who told me that I had not mentioned a baby on my booking. When I said I had, she replied "oh well you didn't book directly with us". Does this mean that I am not as important of a customer to them??? When I went to show her my booking confirmation, she produced her copy and said it was not written on theirs. I was then able to show her that it was clearly written on her page 'Baby cot required please'. She told me that housekeeping would sort it out when they arrived at 7pm which they promptly did. Not the best welcome I have received in a hotel though.

In saying that, the hotel is nice, my room was very spacious with a double bed, a couch area and still plenty of room for the cot. Everything was very clean and the bathroom was well maintained and spotless. Wifi was free in the rooms and was really efficient. I had no problem using Skype to call my husband abroad and connecting was really straightforward.

As a very family friendly hotel, they had activities for children scheduled in their kids club. However the hotel was also really noisy especially on my first night. I would imagine it is quite a popular Wedding venue and would host receptions every week. The Wedding music was muffled and not a problem as were sounds from the communal areas of the hotel. At around 1:30am though people seemed to spill outdoors from the Wedding reception and congregated below the windows of the rooms at the front of the hotel. They were loud with lots of singing and shouting for over 40 minutes. I would imagine this is a regular occurrence and it was highly disruptive to my night's sleep. It is a very bustling hotel in general with lots of families so really not to be recommended to anyone staying as a couple or looking for a romantic evening.

Room service was really good and extremely helpful. The food was very good and I requested warm milk for my daughter which was brought promptly and at no extra cost. The staff were in general very helpful to me with my daughter. Breakfast was good and I was happy with the fact that hot breakfast was served to order and therefore freshly made and very nice. Lots of teas and toast and more if requested. Breakfast brought for my daughter on a cold plate which showed their attention to the needs of families. A good decent breakfast.

All in all a good hotel for an overnight stay but not if you plan to stay for more than a night or two as I could imagine being a little sleep deprived with all the noise.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the central area and at the back. I would imagine it would be quieter there.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Just back from a break in this hotel.

It is a very busy hotel. The rooms were nice and basic - but could have been a little cleaner. I don't think our carpet had been hoovered or the wooden floor washed on the day we arrived but the cleaning staff cleaned it the next day and left it spotless, so maybe it was just overlooked on arrival.

We ate in the restaurant one night and the food was nice and fresh and plenty of choice even on the package. The supplement of €3 or €5 is not excessive. The waiting staff in the restaurant were lovely. The hostess in the restaurant for the mornings is not the friendliest of people and lets down the waiters and waitresses who are doing a very hard job.

The hot breakfast is ordered from a menu which means that service can be a little slow but the breakfast is hot and fresh. Tea and toast can be in short supply as they come a long time before the hot breakfast and it can be difficult to catch someone to get more but once you grab someone's attention the extra tea/toast is brought straight away.

The Jacuzzi was out of service on the last 2 days of our trip and there didn't appear to be much urgency to fix it.

There was music in the bar on a couple of the evenings and Bingo one of the nights. It is a busy hotel but there isn't much to do in Claremorris so it is really a base to travel to Castlebar, Westport etc.... The hotel can be a little loud, with children banging doors but that seems to die down after 10 so not too bad.

The wifi in the hotel is excellent and very fast. The staff in reception were lovely and very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rover79
Ireland
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 4 adults 3 kids. Hotel was full huge crowds -there was bingo and live band. Food was grand we ate in bar nothing special but nice. Staff very good. Read fast was fine buffet breakfast was better than hot breakfast. We were happy here N staff good. I would not stay here for a romantic break more so family and group events.

• Stayed August 2014
Yelverton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Looks fairly nice from the outside and on first impressions. There are some very nice features of this hotel. The staff are very friendly, courteous and semi good service. The pool area is good with a nice sauna, steam room and jacuzzi area. The bar area is really lovely with a good atmosphere, nice homely furnishings and a brilliant ambience about the place. The restaurant food is OK but certainly nothing special. Very very busy hotel which can be very noisy at times. There was a wedding on the Friday and the Saturday. Social dancing and an Irish entertainer Bank Holiday Monday. This is all very well and good but if you want a good night's sleep it is virtually impossible. It is extremely noisy and people were racing up and down the corridors of the bedrooms having normal conversations at 4.30 in the morning. Another major problem we found is that smoking is allowed immediately outside the front doors, which most of the time are left wide open for smoke to waft in the large reception area. The bedrooms are off a gallery landing from the reception area. We found the fire doors were left open and the smoke then just permeates the building. I actually found it quite unacceptable and would actually make me consider hard whether I would return. Lots of children running around doing whatever they liked whilst their parents carried out doing whatever and ignoring their kids. I maybe running this hotel down but it is certainly the best there is in Claremorris and as I said there were some really nice parts about the hotel. It felt a little more like a holiday camp than an hotel. I'm not against kids going on holiday or being in hotels but please parents, make them behave with a little decorum. I can't say enough how friendly the staff are and how eager they are to please and it is not put on to make a good tip - it really is genuine and the Irish are such naturals.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the farthest end of the hotel to avoid noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue T
lake worht
Reviewed 6 August 2014

It was a lovely hotel, the restaurant also great in the Hotel. The bathtub was a bit high for me, but it was a great hotel. It had a homey atmosphere. The entire staff was helpful, professional and cheerful.

Room Tip: I was on a tour and chose a private room. It was perfect for me. Our Lady of Knock shrine was nearb...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Galway
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Would highly recommend this restaurant. This was our second time here service excellent and good variety on menu.
We felt that it would have been nice if the lounge area of the bar was opened fully afterwards as there was some really good music by bar was full and we ended up seated in the hotel foyer!
We didn't stay but met a few guests who spoke highly of the accommodation and would recommend it - maybe will stay another time.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
The Western Hotel
#1 of 1 in Knock
The Gateway Hotel
The Gateway Hotel
#1 of 1 in Swinford

Been to McWilliam Park Hotel? Share your experiences!