“Pretty poor to be honest”
Review of Dalton Inn Hotel

Dalton Inn Hotel
Dalton Inn Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Claremorris
Ireland
“Pretty poor to be honest”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Good points:
Breakfast was nice and service was friendly in the restaurant.
Hotel looks quite nice from outside as well as the bar and restaurant.
Location is good in the centre of Claremorris.

Bad points:
The room I stayed in is very old and worn, smells very 'fusty' and is in urgent need of a revamp. The carpets were filthy. The bathroom is tiny with the sink next to the bed. It is very noisy on the corner of a busy junction, made worse by the window needing to be open due to the smell and stuffy room. I don't think it's a great sign when there is an electric heater and de-humidifier in a hotel room

Upon checking out I paid with a credit card and requested to be charged in Euros as my provider does not charge a foreign transaction fee. A sterling amount then came up on the machine and when I said that I wanted it changed to Euros I was told it would definitely be charged in Euros and my card provider would carry out the conversion. On getting home and checking my credit card bill I was as charged in sterling at the hotel merchant’s rate. This cost me approximately €5 based on the rate I was getting on transactions the same day. Not a huge amount but very annoying considering I specifically requested to be charged Euros. People with non-euro credit cards should be aware of this.

Overall while the room was cheaper than some other hotels it is not good value considering the poor state of the hotel and I am convinced that there are a lot of fake reviews as a lot of the positive reviews I have read are misleading.

I feel this is a fair and honest review of the hotel and think it would be hard for any genuine guest to disagree with what I have wrote.

Room Tip: Room on the corner of the busy junction was extremely loud.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mac037

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed end July 2014. Avoid rooms in front of hotel, we were in room 5. On the crossroad of 2 busy streets. If you have the window open for fresh air - extremely noisy. Close the window and the room is stuffy and smells. Lose lose situation. Although the staff are friendly, they are, unfortunately, very inefficient. Food - breakfast OK. Evening meals very average. (For a decent meal go to Maxwell's down the road). Also parking is not free - 30c per half hour.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from front.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Brenda G

Travellers are raving about these Claremorris hotels

County Mayo, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I went to The Dalton for Sunday lunch on 29 June. It however proved to be an incredibly busy day for the hospitality industry, due to end-of-academic-year, school and sporting events taking place. The Dalton took it all in their stride and coped admirably with a steady flow of diners throughout the morning and afternoon. They managed to keep copious amounts of hot fresh food coming - without fuss or bother - accompanied by pleasant and efficient service from all concerned. They are to be congratulated for the running of a first-class carvery.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary Maureen H
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

While on our way to a family wedding we stopped off at The Dalton to have something to eat and get changed (a party of 8). To speed things up I got changed in the toilets while the rest of the group used the bedroom my parents were booked into. For the journey to Mayo I put on a brand new pair of navy linen trousers. While using the toilet my trousers got what I can describe as a big bleach circle on them. I have emailed the hotel NO reply. Also in my parents room the bedside lamp plug a bit of cover was missing wires exposed and stook together with tape mum told them about this and they didn't seem very bothered

Room Tip: Ask for a bedroom with decent view. My parents room looked onto roof
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Mary P
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Didn't stay here because stayed with family but we ate here. The food was lovely, great family atmosphere and a lovely coal fire for the cold rainy days. The Beef dinner was beautiful home from home. the Guinness wasn't too bad either

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

i stayed here for many weeks on a busmans holiday,every single member of the staff made me feel as if i was one of their very own,i enjoyed every minute spent in this hotel.the bed and bedroom was superb,lovely and warm and hot water a constant.the food was presented beautifully and delicious to eat (try the fish it's euphoria).
my thanks to,lovely ann,and every single barstaff,kitchen staff and reception and everyone involved.
what a mighty place!
john.p.martin. painter enniskillen.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jon4937
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Fantastic value for the room, breakfast and lunch. The staff were very nice and went out of their way to accommodate us. The evening menu is a little more expensive than the lunch but is well worth the price and wait. I had a perfectly cooked steak while my girlfriend had, what she insisted to be, the nicest fish and chips she has ever had. The lady that runs the place is a pleasure to deal with and you can tell she loves her job. I can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LukeWaldron
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claremorris
McWilliam Park Hotel
Ashford Castle
Ashford Castle
#1 of 3 in Cong
The Lodge at Ashford Castle

Been to Dalton Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!