“Off the beaten track.”

The Wheatsheaf
Ranked #1 of 1 Combe Hay B&B and Inns
“Off the beaten track.”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was looking for somewhere comfortable and cosy to meet my sister for lunch, half way between Bristol and Bath. The wheatsheaf was a perfect choice. Very relaxed, attentive service and varied menu at a reasonable price all set in beautiful unspoilt countryside but still only 20 minutes from Bristol. We even had the lovely working cocker spaniel snuggle up with us on the sofa, hope she delivers her puppies safely!
We enjoyed a very pleasant couple of hours and will hopefully return!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vickijw

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
the lake district
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We stayed here as overnight stop on way to Cornwall, delightful pub in a lovely location, warm welcome, shown our room, went for a good walk in the lovely countryside surrounding the pub. Came back to the pub for early tea, they catered well for our 1 year old, very friendly staff, good food, good wine and good selection of beers. Breakfast in the morning was delish. Would recommend it the only thing I would say is that the floor of our room could have benefited from a good Hoover, but apart from that, very good.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kittenmagic
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I ummed and ahhed about writing this review. Not because I felt I couldn't lavish praise on the Wheatsheaf, far from it, but because I fear the more people who know about it, the less likely I am to get a room when I want.

There are some places where you can rave about the food, some you rave about the service, others about the setting. The Wheatsheaf ticks every box with aplomb. It offers a service you'd expect from a 5 or 6 star hotel, but at a fraction of the cost.

We were blessed over the weekend we stayed with fine weather and whilst looking out over the vista, I had to pinch myself just to remind me that we weren't in the foothills of Tuscany. Family run, the Wheatsheaf was friendly beyond reproach, polite, good natured and exceptional in all aspects.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend staying or eating here, just please leave room for us at the inn.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank nikgarston
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2013

Yesterday we were lucky enough to eat lunch sitting outside the inn in glorious sunshine looking over the beautiful valley. The food was delicious, with very fresh whole lemon soles with crayfish and caper butter, followed by excellent banoffi pie semifreddo. Friendly service from the owner's son,

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank anthonya2
United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Sunday lunch here was a treat, with a limited menu but excellently prepared food. Beef done rare is a delight as was poached sea bream. Eating here is a pleasure, with a family atmosphere and dogs in abundance all well behaved and playing there part in constructing a classic English country pub atmosphere.

Well worth "le detour".

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ozzertjie
Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My boyfriend and I visited The Wheatsheaf for dinner to celebrate my Birthday, we live around a 40 minute drive away from it but it was definitely worth the effort and I would go back again and again!

The food was sublime - in my opinion on a par with The Michelin starred Pony & Trap in Chew Magna.

The selection of bread with butter, oils & vinegar was delicious and we both had three courses - Me: Scallops with black pudding, granny smith apple pieces and apple puree, Confit Pork Belly with crayfish & butternut squash, Clementine jelly with lemon curd and dark chocolate sorbet.
Him: Rabbit and tarragon risotto with golden sultanas, Seabass with truffle mash, treacle tart with ice cream.

All of the courses were excellent, perfectly seasoned and just the right size to squeeze in 3 courses!

The wine list was impressive, although I was left a little disappointed that the local wine was not available (it had been a small vintage).

As with one of the reviews below my only small gripe would be the slow service. We were seated quickly, but then a table seated after us had their order taken first... not a huge problem as we still had orders taken, bread, starters & mains served within the first hour - however from plates being cleared it then took a further 20 mins to get a dessert menu and another 10 mins to order . they did come quickly after ordering but then it took another 20 minutes to ask for the bill.

Three courses each, 2 glasses of wine and a beer came to £40 a head - great value for the quality.

It seems the service slows down towards the end of the evening but this would not stop me going back as the food was divine!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank F00die30
london
Reviewed 8 January 2013

stayed here for one night on our way to devon and were pleasantly surprised to find a fabulous meun and wine list and a brilliant matire 'd who caught all the fish himself that morning! Lovley little atmosphere in the pub , very cosy, obviously huge loyal local following,we will definitely make a detour again to re visit. The rooms are in a converted cow shed which sounds awful but they are fine, and clean and although our tv didn't work that night ,the staff did their utmost to fix it , and knocked something off the bill to make up for it.

Room Tip: all the same i think!