“Perfect Getaway for a Young Couple”
Review of Westwind Inn

Westwind Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Buckhorn
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westwind Inn for two days and two nights. We absolutely fell in love with it! Upon arrival, we could automatically feel the relaxation start to sink in as we approached the wooden lodge with the lake view in the distance. The rooms were cute and cozy with a cottage atmosphere. The air conditioning in our room was not working so the staff automatically upgraded our room to one with a jacuzzi and a working air conditioner. The balcony overlooking the lake was a perfect place to have tea in the morning and listen to the water lapping on the rocks before starting our day.
The amenities on site were wonderful. We had free use of the boats and canoes at any time. The pool was clean and perfect for a refreshing dip after a hike. The hiking trail was gorgeous and led us to an unexpected marsh where we were surrounded with nothing but nature. The grounds had a small driving range, mini putt, campfire pits, badminton nets and hammocks. We were so active during our stay (most of the time right on-site) that we didn't even have time to find and spend the day lying on the beach!
We didn't have dinner at the Inn, however the breakfasts were delicious. A perfect country breakfast with cute wooden tables overlooking the vast lake was exactly what we needed after a good nights rest.
In conclusion, we would most definitely return to the Westwind Inn. Even for a young 20-something couple, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. The location is indescribable, the staff friendly and accommodating, the food delectable and the amenities always entertaining.
This trip was perfect in every which way and we will definitely recommend the Westwind!
So sad to leave! Such a romantic destination."

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BeckySoly116
There are newer reviews for Westwind Inn

Reviewed 5 September 2013

A warm and welcoming retreat before you with visiting the Westwind Inn on the Lake twice now seasonally (Winter and Summer) for business purpose.
The Inn presented the escape from the city and busy life to a quiet, back to nature adult atmosphere.
Both seasons offered just the right amount of activities with walking trails, boat tour, dining, friendly and obliging staff, nearby art gallery & winery, hot tub/indoor and outdoor swimming pools, fire-pits and a large patio overlooking the lake.
I look forward to returning with my ever-so-busy spouse....
Yes .... Tranquil Moments!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sandie K
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We went to the Westwind Inn this April with friends. The Inn is located in a beautiful natural setting, be sure to make time to just sit and enjoy the lake. Our visit began with an absolutely fantastic meal: great food, great wine and knowledgeable staff. We were pleased that the Westwind is pet friendly, our Golden Retriever certainly enjoyed his visit! We slept very comfortably both nights and left feeling recharged and rested.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

The last comment makes me wonder what planet these people are living on. Initially I chose WW to film but fell in love with the place personally. I have received no incentives to place this comment and have visited WW several times on my own as a paying customer. Westwind is exactly what it says it is----a cottage environment at a first class hotel level. The food by Chef Bryen is truly unique and amazing. The servings are excellent and the quality superb. The staff very attentive and approachable. The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. I cannot understand the "very worn and tired" for me and my sanity Westwind is what the doctor ordered.
I have stayed there four times now and plan to go back again and again. I suggest that the previous commentators try a five star Hilton or Mariott-----they will probably find something wrong with them. I will take Westwind over the above any time and YES! I travel a great deal and have stayed at Five Star hotels! WW is tops!

Room Tip: I have never used the Fitness Centre since I do not think they have one but the full scale sports fa...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank CabernetWhitby
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We really appreciate it and I am sorry I took so long to post it. We hope to see you here again!

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I returned here this August after two previous stays many years ago. Our fond memories are now tainted.

Everything outside is still fantastic.

Everything inside is clean but very worn and tired. We were very unimpressed by the food and found it way over-priced.

The service was satisfactory but it seems to have lost some of its customer-first approach. We were admittedly soured in this regards when reading the inn's replies to some of the negative reviews.

Overall, we do not feel the inn is good value even under a Travelzoo deal.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank JPP511
kristi j, Owner at Westwind Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

It is always very hurtful to our family to read a negative review that we feel is totally unwarranted. Fortunately there are very few negative reviews. 3 generations live here and the inn is more than our livelihood, it is our home. We work very hard to make everyone’s visit a pleasant one. We do not claim to be a luxury hotel. We are warm, welcoming, cozy, homey or cottage like. If things wear out we repair or replace as necessary. Your eyes see the inn as worn and tired. Some people do not appreciate or understand antiques the way we do. We love old hand knotted Persian carpets with character. Wear is a sign of beauty and these types of carpets can be enjoyed for over 100 years as can most of our single board Canadiana pine antiques handcrafted over 100 years ago. They may be “worn” but they are not tired. They are still full of life and will be here 50 years from now when new cookie cutter hotel furniture will be at landfill site. We have 70 guests here on a busy night.. do the math.. that is thousands and thousands of people over the years. Most are happy, most do not post on TA. I am puzzled why someone would take the time to write this negative review especially when they received a huge discount on their room.

We are proud to have earned 4 stars on TA. 60 reviews rate us at EXCELLENT and 35 as VERY GOOD. = 95 great reviews. Most are from guests who selected the all inclusive package with 3 course dinner and hot country breakfast daily so no thought to price in the dining room. You purchased a very low cost travel discount basic “room only” without meals. While we can discount a room that would otherwise be vacant we cannot offer similar discounts in the dining room. I find that many of those on the deep discount “room only” rate also expect low cafeteria prices. We serve chef prepared steak, seafood, duck breast in a lovely dining room with a breathtaking view. It would not be practical to have two different menus, one with burger and fries or chicken wings. I am truly sorry that even with our $40 coupon to use towards dining you found the food WAY OVER PRICED. Do some rate comparisons. Ours are very competitive. Again, we do not proclaim to be luxury. We prefer to furnish with antiques rather than new modern cookie cutter. We strive for the Rocky Mountain Lodge look and feel. Have a look at this video on YouTube and also on our website. It is recent taken just a few weeks ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3lK0qUbY08

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Recently spent seven days at Westwind Inn and as it has been several years since I sang its praises I am indulging in doing so now. Writing this review is my chance—at least for the moment—to re-experience the delightful days we had at Westwind.

There are so many reasons we return to Westwind every year it is hard to fit them all into a review. At the top of the list is the personal service. As a person with some special dietary needs the inn owners and the kitchen staff at Westwind takes excellent care of me. Breakfast and dinner were all very good—at times scrumptious. I cannot thank the staff enough for the beautifully prepared food. The servings were generous as well and it will take a bit of time to take off the extras pound I put on from the lovely pastas, the entirely unique catfish dinner and the Crème Brule—I had it three times. Let me mention too the best home fries in Canada as well as these lovely power muffin filled with nuts and fruit.

The staff of this family owned inn go out of their way to make sure the needs of guests are met in so many ways—everything from offering suggestions for a day’s outings to reminding you of the great ice-cream stand on a particular road. I watched one inn staff member patiently draw maps for other guests looking for a route to a particular place.

At the same time, I never even want to leave the grounds at Westwind. Everything we want is there. Waking in our room at Westwind means waking up to clean sheets, beautiful pine walls and soft sounds of the lake. It means quiet and peace as guest tiptoe down the halls to make coffee and sit in the great room sharing stories. I have met some wonderful people at Westwind and look forward to seeing them the next year—we all seem to return again and again. And it is no wonder. You can lounge by the lake watching the boats or sit by the most beautiful, flawlessly clean pool in a lovely scenic setting. The only thing more delightful that an afternoon by the pool is the quiet after dinner dip made all the more lovely by cicada singing and the pool’s soft lighting. Since water is the theme so to speak at Westwind, don’t miss the experience of the lake made possible by the marvelous boat ride offered several days a week by the inn’s “captain in residence” whose long time knowledge of the lake, it flora and fauna will help give meaning to an exquisitely beautiful place.

Overall the natural beauty of the place is endless. Start your morning with a walk along the little beach and boardwalk in the fog or slip into a kayak or canoe and float with the loons. On a good day the beaver and otter will show up. And when you get to breakfast the good folks in the dining room will tell you more stories about the creatures they have seen. Half the fun is visiting with the staff. I have never met better trained college students working a summer job. They will do anything they can to make your stay better—from getting the extras lemon for your tea to find a slightly warmer extra blanket.
As I said, I cannot fit it all into one review. I would never miss a summer at Westwind. Come see for yourself.

Room Tip: Lakeside rooms are our favorites.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Poet28
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This was our fourth year visiting Westwind Inn. As always, I had a wonderful, relaxing vacation. It was everything I had hoped for: beautiful view of the lake, a clean, comfortable room, excellent food beautifully served, and friendly accomodating staff. I appreciate particularly that the chef and serving staff are very conscientious about food allergies. My daughter has severe allergies and they go to great lengths to ensure that her food is properly prepared.

We enjoyed playing games in the evening in the large, comfortable lounge
We swam in the beautiful, clean pool, took boats out on the lake and visited around a campfire at night.
There is lots to do and see in the area.
Best of all, this is a quiet resort that focuses on providing a relaxing atmosphere for adults, and there are not many of these available at reasonable rates.

Room Tip: We prefer the second floor since it seems to be quieter. However, there is no elevator so anyone wh...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Buckhorn
Village Inn of Lakefield
#1 of 2 in Keene
Beachwood Resort
Beachwood Resort
#1 of 10 in Lakefield

Been to Westwind Inn? Share your experiences!