“9ice place” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kwara Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ilorin
Kwara Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ilorin
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“9ice place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

K H as its fondly call is located in the heart of town, painted white , the front view is very attracting as well as the coffee bar , there is a standard swimming pool, well I really enjoy the rosted fish (point and kill).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013 via mobile

We had some issues on check-in with some confusion having been caused by a third-party agent at bookings.ng claiming to represent the hotel. The staff advised us that it's always best to book direct with the hotel reception. This took some considerable time to sort out and we did have to hold our ground. But once we'd asked for the manager, she was very polite and helpful and demonstrated great customer service.

Our executive rooms were generally well appointed. There were a few issues with some of the finishing but relatively speaking (compared with other hotels I've used in Africa) this was of a high standard. There was hot water whenever I needed it, back-up power when the local supply failed and good air conditioning. Bedding and towels were clean.

The restaurant was fairly basic but the service was good and much faster than in some places I've stayed.

The place felt secure and well managed.

I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Stor-Elvdal Municipality, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Having read up on what other reviewers had to say about this hotel, I had my doubts. I don't know whether the trick was that I asked for a room in the new wing, or that the management had continued their efforts to improve, but I found it a surprisingly pleasant place to stay.

The inside smokers bar wasn't the coziest place, ok, and the staff misinterpreted this Oga's arrival as a green light to turn the disco torture up to max (for exactly 34 seconds), but I found the staff very friendly and service minded. Great!

Then, what a delight to discover semi-crisp bacon at the otherwise very Nigerian breakfast buffet. Since I'm no fan of palm oil chicken or cow leg in the mornings, this was a very pleasant surprise. Not very many hotels North of Lagos have bacon, as far as I've experienced, but Kwara even had it semi-crisp. Another 'great'!

I didn't have time to use the pool, and in the garden bar and restaurant at the back, I only had an eye for a Champions League match, so I can't really say much about these luxuries.

Finally, when I didn't have the cash in Naira as required upon arrival, the reception staff was kind enough to let me slide by until next morning. I've been to many a hotel which such a kind gesture would've been sneered at.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Geir F
Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

I have just come back from Ilorin, on my 2nd visit I stayed in the newer room, this is the one with the "red walls"...overall it was much better than the first room I got which was in the old wing. Nevertheless, the hotel still needs to work on improving its standards of room maintenance, cleanliness and services. The restaurant still keeps on running out of food/dishes which show up on the menu but cannot be prepared, the reception is yet to get the credit card facility and the power is still unpredictable. As this is the only "passable" place to stay in Ilorin, aim low, ask for a new wing room and spend most of your time in the bar...at least time will pass quickly.

Room Tip: ask for new rooms and directions to the nearest atm machine. this is a cash only place.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank traveller_au97

Travellers are raving about these Ilorin hotels

New York City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

Unless you're in a major city, such as Lagos, Abuja, or Port Harcourt, the rest of Nigeria has not really caught up with basic standards of hotel living. This is considered one of the best hotels in Kwara state, which by many city folk, is considered to be the American version of Montana; country or as they call it "village". The only hotel better is Royal Shekinah Grand Suites, which the rooms are nicer but amenities are not as nice. This is also where all the local big shots bring their mistresses (hehehe!).

When you stay here, don't stay for the room. You stay for the amenities, the lobby, hotel bar, hotel restaurant, hotel gym (almost unheard of in Ilorin!!) and pool are all excellent. The restaurant offers a great buffet which is a mix of American food (pizza, fries), Chinese food and local specialties. They also have a decent range of liquor and beer, which is really hard to find because Ilorin is a largely Muslim town.

The service is also really good. If you live in Nigeria, you'll consider the prices exorbitant but if you converting Dollars or better yet Pounds or Euros, the price is very reasonable.

The hotel management is fantastic!! If you complain your room will be cleaned right away. Stay in one of the bar areas, outdoor night club, or pool area restaurant as late as you can, get drunk then go to the your not so nice room .

Room Tip: Check into your room, it's not clean, just call down and ask for the manager he'll take care...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank HonoluluPrincess
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

I have given this hotel a terrible rating simply because it was just that. The standard room we stayed in was old and worn out, the bed was horrible, bathroom just as bad. My bedside table was broken, the aircon noisy, the TV...I could go on and on....the hotel does not accept credit cards or debit card payments, cash only.

Coming on a flight to Ilorin the plane magazine said such wonderful things about this place and I have to disgaree with each one of them.

However...at the end of the day, there is really no where else to stay, I avoided the room like the plague and spent most time at the bar or restaurant. I survived.

The service was actually impressive.

Room Tip: My advice...don't worry about the room, just close your eyes and go to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank traveller_au97
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I spent 1 night there. The beddings were so dirty that I had to put my towel over them to sleep. There were a lot of spiders and cockroaches in the room. The sad thing is that it's still the best hotel in Ilorin because I spent the next 5 nights in 5 different hotels and they were hotels from hell.

• Stayed November 2010