“Excellent value in a very nice beachfront location”
Review of Karlos Arguinano

Karlos Arguinano
Ranked #4 of 75 Restaurants in Zarautz
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Madrid
“Excellent value in a very nice beachfront location”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stopped in Zarautz while on our way to San Sebastián specifically because we wanted to visit this restaurant: we were really curious to have a launch at Karlos Arguiñano's restaurant. I guess the popularity and the sympathy of this cook played a significant part in our decision. I discovered his television cooking show when I moved to Spain 7 years ago and I always appreciated his fun personality and recipes targeted to "normal people" cooking at home. His restaurant reflects Karlos' personality: just enter the restaurant and have look and the drawing hung in the bar. If you know something about Karlos' sense of humour, you'll understand. On the food side, the restaurant is not a gourmet restaurant aspiring to a niche popularity among affluent people or foodies. Quite the contrary: the recipes are simple and meant to exalt excellent raw materials and the prices are balanced. Overall, I'd say the quality/price ratio is good.

The restaurant is very nice and never pretentious. The personnel is amazingly friendly and attentive. The restaurant is located in a privileged position almost in the middle of Zarautz's windy beach and, if the weather allows, taking a coffee and some dessert in the outdoor terrace is a very nice experience. I found it particularly relaxing.

Here you are in the Basque Country: in my opinion the part of Spain offering the finest cuisine and the best fish you can find. So, even though I'm not particularly fond of fish, I had the tasting menu with no hesitation: it features an Albacore tuna salad, vegetable ravioli with Basque "Porrusalada" (a traditional Basque leek soup), hake, Iberian pork sirloin and sponge cake with infusion of red berries. This menu was a nice introduction to the Basque cuisine made with first quality raw materials. I agree with another reviewer's opinion about the Txakoli (a Basque very dry, slightly sparkling, white wine): it guess it's not for everybody's tastes, especially if it's the first time you try it.

Some days after having this meal, going back to Madrid from San Sebastian, we decided to stop in Zarautz once again to enjoy some of pintxos on the restaurant's terrace. The pintxos were very good but the real surprise were the desserts: excellent and unexpected. I loved the deep fried croissant filled with crème pâtissière and the torrija.

I gave this restaurant 5 stars because nothing fell short of expectations: the meal was very good, the raw materials were excellent, the staff friendly, attentive and unobtrusive and the location very nice. Could it be better? Of course, pretty much like everything, but that's not the point. The point here is the overall quality/price ratio: excellent.

• Visited April 2013

• Polish first
Westport, Ireland
“hit and miss”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend in Sep 2013. The hotel is in a fantastic location, with a raised terrace overlooking the beach in Zarautz, a seaside resort outside of San Sebastian (20 min drive to San Sebastian, €35 taxi, 45 mins on a bus for about €2.30). Our room was large with a view of the ocean, and we really enjoyed that. The staff are friendly and overall we really liked it. Its quite casual for a 4 star hotel, and the place isn't as fancy as I thought it would be-some parts of it seem slightly in need of an update. Also, we had a few nice lunches there, but our meal in the restaurant was very disappointing. My fish was overcooked, the sauce flavourless & when I didnt eat it & explained why, the waitress was polite but no explanation/recompense was given-if I spoke fluent Spanish I would have sent it back but wasnt sure if I would be understood so left it instead. We had a much nicer meal in San Sebastian for less. I definitely would stay there again though, because of the beautiful location.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank sorchaspud
Barquisimeto
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

It is a nice restaurant on the Hotel Arguinano in Zarautz, on the beach with beautiful view to the beach and excellent food to very reasonable price , the best value for money I ever tried.
It is in Zarautz not in San Sebastián it is 20 min from San Sebastián by car

• Visited July 2013
Paris, France
“Excellent food and service ....with a view”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Excellent menu de dégustation with interesting sauces. Some were right on the money (tuna steak on salad, creme on red fruit dessert) others, a bit off (gazpacho almost like a hint of vomit, vegetable ravioli a bit bland). An address to keep.

• Visited July 2013
Villereal, France
“Good food right on the beach!”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We opted for the 5 course tasting menu - fresh tuna salad, vegetable ravioli, hake, pork and dessert. Efficient service - too quick perhaps with each course, not much time for reflection. Food was well presented, thoughtfully prepared and well seasoned. Local very dry white wine is probably not to everyone's taste and I would not choose it again. Magnificent view of the sunset over the sea. Would definitely return.

• Visited June 2013