“You must "eat-here" restaurant”
Review of Aiten Etxe

Aiten Etxe
Ranked #17 of 76 Restaurants in Zarautz
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
San Francisco, California
“You must "eat-here" restaurant”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

I spent a week in September in this part of Northern Spain with my girlfriend and family members - parents, sister+hubby - and we came to eat at this restaurant on our last day. My galpal Linda found us this restaurant which was recommended to us by our Spanish friend Ernesto (who lives here in San Francisco). My elderly father (he's over 21) and my brother-in-law Paul shared a fantastic, large dish of varied local seafood - shellfish mainly - and I was surprised to see them meet in the middle at the end - my Dad definitely ate his part - showing how fresh and tasty the food was. For me I choose a more conventional main course - a steak covered in Foie Gras - which is banned in California sadly. The steak was perfectly cooked "rare" - not easy to do as it can be stringy or chewy - and the Foie Gras was spread thickly on the steak - it looked like mash potato there was so much of it. The Foie Gras was as delightful as I was hoping for - and the dish was truly memorable - hence this review. The starters and wines were excellent, but for me over-shadowed by my main course. The restaurant was wonderfully situated on the headland overlooking the large beach of Zarautz - at a very picturesque spot. The staff was friendly, the interior classy and comfortable - but I would recommend you make the trip there for the food.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank NickHayman

Sydney, Australia
“Very nice Lunch here”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

It was a hot Monday lunchtime approaching 40 degrees. We found ourselves at Zarautz, 20 min south of San Sebastian. Had a swim on the beach, then wandered up along the promenade to this quaint red and white restaurant on the hill above the harbour.
What a find! and 2 star michellin at that! Made to feel very welcome, though the restaurant was quiet,we sat out on one of the patios with great beach views. The food was lovely! White asparagus as an entree and langoustine salad for my main. Delish!!! Fresh and simple....perfect. Great service and a great lunch! A little pricey....but well worth it.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank sydney_0013
Rome, Italy
“Great restaurant with beach view and fantastic food”
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

Very good seafood and great service in this restaurant overlooking the beach in Zarautz. The Parillada de Marisco is extremely good and as a desert the souffle is a must try. Highly recommended.

“Serious Fish!”
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This is more of a traditional Basque restaurant than many of the more high-profile restaurants in the region. But if you're in Zarautz, it's a must! Fabulous fresh seafood, simply prepared. You won't find molecular gastronomy here, but you will have an amazing meal. Order the seafood platter for 2. Lovely view. Nice town. Great beach. What more do you need?

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank acmes
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Best Bonito!!!”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Is not a long drive from San Sebastian, this restaurant is located in Zarautz, and has a really nice view of the beach. Place is simple but clean, best fish (Bonito) ever. Service #1!! Great place and not expensive.

• Visited July 2012