My wife and I with our two children aged 3 and 7 travelled to the Blue lagoon Village for a week from the 15th June. We have said it has to be the best holiday we have been on and hope all enjoy it as much as we did; we only wish we were there longer.
First impressions were WOW after a decline down a steep hill you get to see the great size of the hotel complex. Check in was easy as we had pre done the form online before we left and the front of house staff very friendly and welcoming. We arrived dead on 10pm (just as all the restaurants were closing) but one phone call from reception and we were whisked off by golf cart to the Italian Restaurant and provided with dinner. We then checked into our room and WOW again not only was the room first class but we had also been upgraded to a family room with twin beds for the children and a Queen Size bed (with memory foam mattress) in separate room for us.
General – Brand new and in first class order throughout, regular cleaning going on and constant monitoring of high usage areas. This is a Thomson Family Resort BUT due to the various swimming pools and the separate Adult area you really would not know all the activities were going on if you didn’t want to.
Rooms – Very modern loads of wardrobe space and hangers, free safe, bath robes and slippers, fruit and water in room on arrival, 32 inch TV in each room (USB I could not get to work). Bathrooms first class again with separate shower, bath and toilet cubicle, Hairdryer, shaver points and light up mirror and lots of toiletries provided. The room was cleaned daily to a high standard, Towels changed daily if required and sheets every other day. All patio doors have a separate insect screen on them so if you like the air you can still get it with out the bugs getting in! Both rooms also had separate Aircon units that will automatically cut out if the door is left open.
Food – Book early if you don’t want to miss out on the speciality restaurants.
Main dinning area loads of choice for breakfast and dinner but beware that it is split into 3 sections 2 ends doing slightly different show dishes and the centre section always providing Pizza and pasta dishes. If like in general life you go for 1 meal you would never get bored of choice but if when presented with many different dishes you have a bit of each then you would soon feel that it is always the same.
Italian is very nice and if you cannot get booked in (book able since the 20th June) then just visit at lunchtime as the pizzas are great.
First Date – did not get booked as its adults only but heard nice things.
Adventure BBQ was fully booked so missed out which was disappointing but my own fault for leaving it that extra day.
Chinese (Golden Sun) - We found the food good but the way it is served strange as unlike in the UK where you order several dishes and then share it out, you are presented with a dish each and then have to do some juggling with plates.
Did not visit the restaurants that you have to pay extra for so cannot comment.
Lunch – take your pick really we would alternate between the Italian and the pool side restaurant which served a scaled down version of the main restaurant but you could also get hotdogs and Crepes from the beach bar.
Snacks – all day long if wanted included Waffles, Crepes, biscuits, cakes, soft and hard ice creams.
Swimming Pools (all now nice and warm) – along with the small swim up room pools there are 3/4 larger pools, in the adult area you have the swim up bar this pool can be used by children but they must be accompanied by an adult. The main pool seemed to be quieter with the waterfalls and jets flowing into it and the beach on one side. The Activity pool was the busiest but never a problem finding beds at about 10.30 in the morning, from 11am there was music and games and really good fun for all. One of the great advantages of the activity pool was it was 1.10cm all round so our 7 year old was always safely above water. The baby pool was right next to the activity pool and only 40cm in depth with netting over the top to protect the little ones from the sun. Another great touch which was a first for me to see was special toilets just for little ones (under 5’s). There was also a good little room for parents with babies to use with cots and play things in. No need for towels as these are all provided and you just change them daily (just don’t lose your towel cards).
Beach – Nicely located with good sand, over 200 sun shades all with 2 beds under them so never a problem finding spare beds as well as them there are some great wooden stands (some used for on beach massage), Water sports available all day although not sure on the pricing but it did say there were happy hours at certain times. The first 3 foot of water is fine with sand into the water but after that it is very rocky, sand bag walk ways have been put down so you can safely walk into deeper water to swim without the rocks. The Sea is warming up nicely and crystal clear. Be warned the dark sand gets very hot so have your flip flops ready.
Adventureland – A nice 5 minute stroll along the wooden beach walkway or a 2 minute ride in a golf cart and you can enjoy the lazy river while the kids enjoy the pirate ship or slides, rules have been relaxed on the use of the large slides but the water at the bottom of the slides is quite deep so keep an eye on the kids. Water and towels are freely available so you don’t need to lug all your gear over there. The ropes course looks fun if you can stomach 9 metre heights also there is the multi national kids club, 2 tennis courts, basketball court, 3G five-a-side football pitch and kids play area with big sun shades over them.
Staff – All extremely polite and helpful, working round the clock in extreme conditions at times 38 degrees +, waiter service never stopped and you were never without a drink for long.
Kids Clubs – Thomson run clubs were very good, do not know the details on the crèche but Tots 3-5 year olds sessions every day 10-12, Team 6-8 years 1-3pm and Tribe 9-12 years 3-5pm, also running are drop in sessions for all age groups 10.30 – 12.30 and 1.30 – 3.30pm every day, evening sessions also run from 7.30pm for all ages. At the welcome meeting all kids when signed up get hats, t-shirts and water bottles. If you are British but not with Thomson’s then you can go to the clubs for 4 euros a session but for other nationalities it the kids club in adventureland they can attend. Within the kids club area there is also a soft play area for the under 3’s.
Entertainment - There are 15 members of the Thomson team on site at the Blue Lagoon Village and all extremely hard working and very entertaining, daily activities around the pool include Water games, quiz’s, aqua aerobics, and poolside/beach games. The evening entertainment starts from 8pm in the big open stage area and consists of Kids disco, awards presentation, bingo, game show and at 9.30pm a show. The shows were either done by the entertainments team (sometimes involving audience participation) or a more professional act of which we saw 3, a comedy magician, singer and Lord of the dance – all typical of holiday hotel entertainment. The evening ended around 10.30pm with the Holiday dances of ‘I want to be a super hero’ and ‘Barbra Streisand’.
Bars and Drinks – If the evening entertainment was not you cup of tea or you just preferred a quieter evening you could relax above the activity pool in the cocktail bar or in the relaxed bar by reception with the keyboard player and singer. The AI option is available until 12 midnight but the bars stay open until 1am at which time you can pay for drinks. There is plenty of choice for all drinks with cocktails galore (although the AI ones are partly pre-mixed). On tap beer is Zorbas and tasted great.
Other General bits – Weather is getting hotter by the day and the breeze is needed to make the day more comfortable, by 9pm however some may find it gets nippy on the shoulders if sitting outside. All restaurants (except the Adventure BBQ) require Men to wear long trousers and Men in shorts at dinner were being turned away to go and change. Mosquitoes were around but few and far between, in a whole week I saw about 5 and never saw or heard of anyone saying they had been bitten. The complex is very hilly so if to struggle to walk up slopes and steps it may not be for you but in saying that a golf buggy for a lift is never far away.
Overall a great hotel and complex of which was well run and everyone extremely helpful, Cannot comment on the Spa or fitness centre as we did not use it except for getting changed before leaving but all seemed modern and very smart. It is without doubt a 5 Star hotel but although not Michelin star food (of which I would never expect) it is extremely well done, regularly changed and very hot when it first comes out. I’m sure I could nit pick at a few bits and pieces but they to me are so minor it really isn’t worth a mention and at the end of the day a holiday is what you make it. We as a family had a fantastic time and will look to return next year which is something I never do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Lagoon Village is a newly built luxurious village style complex with 366 guestrooms. This all inclusive hotel is in direct contact with the sandy beach offering magnificent views. It is located only 10 km from the centre of Kefalos, near Paradise Beach one of the most beautiful beaches of Kos, only 5 km from the airport and 30 km from Kos town, the capital of the island. The Blue Lagoon Village offers a vast variety of facilities like the Aegean Main restaurant with indoor and outdoor sections, the First Date restaurant with its romantic atmosphere (only for adults), the Thalassa Fish tavern, the Susshimi sushi restaurant and the Golden Sun Chinese restaurant offering you different tastes from all over the world. The Grill House is offering traditional Greek dishes, the Piazza Italian Restaurant is for traditional Italian meals, the Adventure Barbecue, where for grilling your own combination of different meats and finally the Gelateria where you can enjoy pancakes, waffles, sweets and ice-cream.You will have a hard job choosing where to have your drink: at the Shake & Mix Cocktail bar any time of the day, the Wet Pool bar, an impressive swim-up bar, at the Pool bar, at the Piazza Cocktail bar in the afternoon or at the Beach and Snack bar during the day. Our guests from all over the world will have the choice of a 3000 sq meters swimming pool with Jacuzzi and water jets, a 1000 sq meters activity pool with a section for children, a children’s splash pool, a 1000 sq meters leisure Pool and an “Adults-Only” pool area. There is also the choice of the long, sandy beach with a variety of water sports. For children and adults, that still feel like children, we recommend the Adventure Land with ropes course, waterslides and water games.The fully equipped Vida Fit health club with its’ heated pools, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam bath is available to all our guests over 16 years of age. For those who wish to pamper themselves, the PURArelax Spa offers a wide range of treatments. For a unique shopping experience visit our various shops, ranging from a minimarket and a liquor shop to boutiques and gift shops.In order to provide the best possible accommodation to all of our valuable guests, we have created standard rooms with sea view and swim up pool (also in the “Adults-Only” area), family rooms as well as Junior suites and Executive suites with private pools. All rooms are provided with satellite TV, mini-fridge, and coffee/tea making facilities, internet access, telephone, safety deposit box free of charge, individual air conditioning units, hairdryer and amenities. The Blue Lagoon Village in total harmony with the picturesque landscape, open from May to October, provides comfort and warm hospitality that attracts tourists from all over the world. The abundance of natural beauties and the crystal clear waters make the hotel a paradise of tranquility, ideal for families and couples. For those who wish to enjoy all these and more Blue Lagoon Village is the answer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK), Cancelon and HRS so you can book your Blue Lagoon Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Village Hotel Kefalos
- Blue Lagoon Village Kefalos, Kos