“Fabulous hotel but food and drink not 5 star” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Kos, Greece
“Fabulous hotel but food and drink not 5 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

Gorgeous hotel great staff we had a wonderfull time ! But i must say the foood and drink at this hotel is not 5 star .The food i found was very nice but they really need to turn up the heating lamps or whatever they use .One morning i got my bacon an eggs returned to the table they were cold so they were left this is a small matter that i think should be sorted out ! Drinks in my opinion were poor quality we stayed at a 4 star last year a nd cocktails came in cocktail glasses ! This may seem minor but i like my drink to look good !Also no beer mats so the tables were soaking wet these small things do make a difference ! But apart from that Blue lagoon is a fantastic place clean an friendly ! An michael Jackson tribute is a must its so bad its hilarious ! Im sure you will enjoy this place !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We just returned from BLV, where we stayed for a week. As other reviewers also noted, the resort is beautiful, immaculately clean, staff very attentive, and everything is new and of great quality.

The beach is absolutely stunning!

It could have the perfect resort for families...but unfortunately, the resort is located in a pretty windy location, and two out of the seven days of our stay were disrupted by the strong wind, which made it very cold to swim in the pool/sea and completely impossible to use the water slides. Also, even the non-windiest days ended up in pretty cool evenings. So, beware!

2 Thank Mirch
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We spent 2 days in this hotel due to overbooking at the far far superior Pallazzo del Mare hotel on the same island. (This latter hotel is, unbelievably part of the same group!) It would more accurately be named Blue Lagoon Suburb or Blue Lagoon Modern University Campus. It was a large and soulless complex of bland beige buildings. The reception is more like that of a corporate business - something financial, or regional development related perhaps - not a hotel. The staff were all good (although not as warmly friendly as those at the Pallazzo), in fact, with the air of Westworld that hung about the place I wondered if some of them would turn out to be robots! The food in the main buffet was good, but this dining room was very large with 3 centres, giving lots of variety, but much walking between the food consoles, leading to the feel of a canteen - generally the quality of fittings in the hotel is not good - with a distinctly budget Ikea quality. The red wine was just about ok (not suprisingly given that it is an all-inclusive hotel), and the coffee, in the breakfast buffet, was good, but order coffee from any of the bars and you will get instant.

Apart from the lack of atmosphere my biggest problem with this hotel is with the noise levels in the evening. The outdoor animation stage faces an amphitheatre of hotel rooms, so that, if you are in one of these rooms, as we were, you are subjected to considerable noise until 11pm every night. This might not be a problem, but should you wish to retire early (after a night flight for instance) you won't be able to sleep! Room sound proofing is meagre - I did complain to reception about the noise at 10.30 and it seemed as if the noise of the disco music did decrease. Of the four large pools we used the quiet one with the swim up bar, but found the availablity of sun loungers to be a problem. My kids liked the water park, but I don't know if they would have spent much more time there if we hadn't escaped so quickly. The beach seemed fine and quite extensive - 2km I was told.

This is a very functional hotel, with little atmosphere. It will appeal to some people but I have to say that even my children much preferred the Pallazo del Mare which is an exceptional hotel that does not expressly cater for children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the animation stage as possible.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank liberalquilt
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

I've just been reading some of the reviews on here and was really suprised at some of them being negative so felt that I would leave my positive review as I feel that not enough are left.
We absolutely loved this place. It was the first time that we have booked and AI and did have some reservations. We didn't have to battle for sunbeds always plenty around the pools except for the activity pool which wouldn't be our choice of pool anyway (and some days we wasn't at a pool until 11am). The food was of a good quality and plenty of choice aswell. I don't think we would've have to eat the same thing twice if we didn't choose too. It wasn't piping hot as some have mentioned but if certainly wasn't cold or luke warm either. It was all very pleasant. We never experienced a dodgy tummy and to our knowledge neither did other people we spoke to when we were there. We also never had to wait for tables either which was another concern that we had for AI hotel. The hotel was very clean, there always people busying around cleaning and tending to the grounds. We were very pleased with our room. We had a swim up room. In our party there were 2 adults and 2 children age 6 and 8 in one room and it was plenty big enough and and we didn't feel like we were tripping up over each other. The beds were very comfortable and the sofa bed that our children shared was too. There was plenty of space for clothes for us all and i'm definately not a light packer!!! The staff were very friendly and all worked very hard to make you feel very welcome. Every night we witnessed the pool areas being hosed down and cleaned aswell as the pools. The entertainment was ok. The Thompson entertainment was a tad cheesey but kept us entertained. Again these people work so hard. Some evenings we chose to sit in one of the cocktail bars and play games with our children, something that we don't get alot of chance to do at home with busy family life. One day we were there we decided to hire a car from the car rental at the hotel. We chose one in the higher price bracket. We hired a wrangler jeep which cost us 99 euros for the day. We went off investigating the island and had a great day. We never felt confined at this hotel as there was so much variety of pools/adventure land/beach etc, which again was another concern being AI. It is all spread out so a stroll after a big dinner was all very welcome. There were lots of steps and slopes and although I am due to have surgery on my knee I never found a problem getting around and if I did feel uncomfortable at any time we would just flag down a golf buggy to drop me off. There are also lifts around although these arn't particulary well sign posted so just ask at reception. My husband made use of the gym facilities and he said that this was of a good standard and were all very clean. So all in all we loved this place. We would love to go again and would definately recommend it. Happy holidays to those waiting to go

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Karolyn S
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Fabulous hotel for families looking for high quality accomodation and food within luxurious surroundings!

FOOD - Something for everyone you could eat all day even the cocktail bar has a fridge with snacks in! We preferred the barbeque for lunch and the main buffet for dinner as there was so much variety and choice, a la carte (chinese and italian) are both ok but nothing to rave about...

POOLS - Huge, so huge that some days especially the windy ones they could be really cold still even in August when the temperature was mid 30's, but they were beautiful really clean and never got too busy. I know this has been said before but should really have made the pools smaller and provided more sunbeds. We loved Adventure Land it was never too crowded and brilliant for the kids to play for a couple of hours.

BEACH - We loved the beach the sand is a bit pebbly and the sea rocky but it is so quiet and loads of sunbeds, the wooden huts were great too you could spend the whole day here quite happily.

THOMSON REPS - Fantastic they really made the holiday the kids clubs are just brilliant and our son (age 6) went to everything! He loved the drop in sessions 10.30 - 12.30 and then TEAM 1 - 3 and he insisted on going to both every day and if we had let him he would have gone to all the evening parties as well !

Overall we had an amazing holiday, the hotel is spotless the staff are so polite and willing to help with anything and the resort is huge so there is lots of room to accomodate everyone, we went mid August and expected it to be heaving but it wasn't and that really made the holiday for us.

We would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone especially to families with children under 10.

3 Thank Brumrobo
She3ffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Just got back from 2 weeks at the BLV, family main holiday with 2 kids 5 and 7. Flew from Birmingham and flight was excellent arrived early and set up the holiday well, Kos airport I bit slow and seriously needs to change to cope with amount of air traffic. transfer was about 10 mins.
Check in was very quick and then straight on a golf buggy with all the luggage to the room, up quite a few stairs and the driver insisted he would do all the carrying as we were on holiday!
We were in block 6000, family room with sea view, lovely view and great room, plenty of storage space, 2 bedrooms great size and nicely decored out, 2 flat screen TV's and comfy beds, air con lovely, bathroom good size with nice large headed shower. Had a few problems in here with water leaking from roof in toilet and shower head being broken, but within the same day all sorted. Room could be a bit noisy from the entertainment but always finished at 11 on the dot so not really that much of a problem.
Entertainment was mixed, good start for the kids at 8 with 30 mins of dancing and generally messing about, kids loved it, then bit of presentation from Thomson related activities and bingo (yes I know it sounds bad but only for 10 mins and prizes were good up to 150 euros for a house!) Followed by entertainment usually of a dancing/singing nature, sometimes a little uncomfortable but you can dip in and out during the week if not your cup of tea, plenty of drinks areas if not.
Pools were good, though crowded on the activity pool which did remind me a bit of butlins! The main pool however was amazing, very big and never crowded. Beach lovely as well, lovely huts if you get there early, sea crystal clear. In terms of reserving sunbeds, people do it, if you want somewhere to sit round the pool you have to do it I'm afraid, I was down for 8 and got a good set of 4 beds on the large pool, on the activity pool you need to be earlier than that. Across the 2 weeks, there was never any towels removed for reserving.
Food in our opinion was good and not always the same, good choice and the italian and chinese were of a good quality, especially the chinese, usual feedback would be to have a little warmer but was always just warm enough.
Thought the price was expensive for the holiday but for what we got out of it worth the money. Would we go back more than likely!

Room Tip: We were in block 6000, very centrally located good view
1 Thank Andy R
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

First, I suspect there would be more reviews if the Thomson website actually linked its Blue Lagoon Village page to the right Trip Advisor reviews - it currently links to the Blue Lagoon Resort (its sister hotel) which is at the other end of Kos!

Anyway, on to the Village. I don't recognise the majority of bad points raised by the reviewer who appears to have stayed at the same time as we did (we're a family of 3 including our 6 year old daughter). One that I did recognise was the room booking issue. On arrival (very quick from the airport, less than 15 mins on the transfer coach), we were told the room we had booked wouldn't be available for 2 days. Initially, this was irritating but they made up for it by upgrading us to a larger Family Room, albeit with a garden view instead of the sea view we had booked. They also gave us the choice of staying in that room or moving to the one we had originally booked, even giving us the opportunity to compare them before making our choice. We chose to stay and forego the sea view as the room was great.

That was the only problem with the Village and, given a few others had this, I'd put it down as teething trouble for a hotel that's only been open for a few months. So, the good things:

1. Location - excellent if you're looking to get away from it all, which we were. Yes, it looks like a large area of cliffs was excavated to make way for the Village but no problem with that! The coach trips in and out provided some stunning views, given the ascent/descent required.

2. Weather - unbelievably good - we saw clouds on just one day out of eleven. Otherwise blue skies and hot sun (low to mid 30s Celsius) every day.

3. Room - immaculately clean, so I don't understand the 'dirty' remark in the other review. The room make-up service was excellent. We were advised in the room 'book' not to drink the tap water, so bottled water is a must. However, it's available at all the bars and we regularly got 4 or 5 half litre bottles at a time. There's a mini-fridge in the room but it only had the water in it on arrival. You'll need to keep it stocked yourself but that's easy enough and the one time we rang for it, it turned up in about 5 minutes.

4. Food - great selection in the Aegean main restaurant (buffet) which changed regularly. A huge variety and good quality - no upset tummies here. The magazine article I read while I was there said around 11% of people get some tummy trouble in Greece but it compared pretty favourably with 54% for India. Australia came in at 10%, which was a bit surprising! We also tried the Adventure Barbecue and the Italian which were equally good. We skipped the Thalassa as it wasn't part of the all-inclusive.

5. Drink - plenty available on the all-inclusive and we stuck to that. If you choose the other drinks, it can be a bit pricey.

6. Facilities - top notch. My wife and I both received a complementary 30 minute head, shoulders and back massage (after the room booking problem) in the spa. Superb. I had a look at the spa menu and while it's not cheap, it looks comprehensive and if you want to be pampered, plenty to choose from.

7. Pools/beach - we used the main pool, which is huge, and the activities pool which is also large but shallower. The water was cold but when it's 35 degrees c. air temperature, it's just what you need. The beach is very long and has plenty of sun loungers, more than enough and useful when the pool areas are full. The wind was surprisingly strong, given there wasn't a cloud in sight, which did kick the sand up occasionally but was also useful for cooling down. It's a bit rocky until you're about 5 or 6 metres into the water but no big deal there.

8. Kids - when we asked our daughter what she enjoyed the most, it was Kids Club! It also gave us 2 hours a day (except Wednesdays) to ourselves.

Overall, we had a great time. The staff, who appear to be from all over Europe, were very professional and we only had friendly, polite service throughout. OK, the evening entertainment was largely amateur and put on by the Thomson people but enjoyable, even when they forgot their lines! There were 2 or 3 more professional shows, including a fakir, who was very good on our last night. I'm happy to recommend the Village and I'm sure the teething trouble will get sorted out - it didn't spoil our holiday and just caused a bit of irritation at the start.

One final thing, beware of Kos airport! Nothing to do with the resort but it was chaotic on departure and far too small to deal with the numbers of people who show up during the summer. We had to go through 3 long queues over about 1.5 hours, 1 each for checking in, baggage drop and security.

Room Tip: Family Rooms have a separate room for the kids with large TV - highly recommended
2 Thank Davverke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!