“The ultimate relaxing beach resort for families”

Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We returned home yesterday from 11 relaxing nights/days at the Blue Lagoon Village. I'm not going to dwell on the 'joys' of Kos airport, it's horrendous and you just have to deal with that and accept that it's not going to be a pleasure. Our rep greeted us and dramatically told us to "look at the most perfect view of your holiday" as we descended down the hilly road into the resort. The sight of the Blue Lagoon beautifully lit up at night time was a fantastic introduction to the resort.

We were taken with our luggage on the golf buggy to our room (5205) and was really pleased with our location. We were near to the main restaurant, overlooked all the private suites with their own pools and had a sea view. We were in a double room with a sofa bed for our 8 and 10 year old to share. The room was cool, spacious, the beds were really comfortable and furnishing a high spec.

Blue Lagoon Village is well designed but do expect lots of steps. We had to descend 99 steps from our room to the activity pool. Whilst I can see this would be a problem for the infirm, disabled or families with young children, there were always golf buggys driving through the resort more than happy to take you to where you needed to get to. I also saw the step climbing as an opportunity to burn off some calories consumed at the buffet or waffle house. The staff at the resort were all really welcoming and always greeted us regardless of whether we had seen them before or not. There is always some sort of cleaning going on and we even saw maintainance re-painting walls despite them only opening in May! The towel animals left on the beds were greeted with delight by our children and our room cleaners really did make our room immaculate on a daily basis.

Food was wonderful. Heartily recommend the Adventure BBQ for their lunchtime gyros! We ate at the chinese restaurant too and the food was good quality. Can't fault the main restaurant, always something to please on the buffet - especially the Greek doughnuts! The house wine was 'ok' and choice of all inclusive drinks ensured we never needed to dip into our pockets. Try the nuttela waffles and crepes at the ice cream house at your peril, seriously addictive and most likely the main reason I have returned 9lb heavier!

There is a constant breeze at this resort which for us was great as it made the 38 degree heat bearable. I found I needed something to cover my arms in the evenings but that's because I feel the cold, most people were fine.

If I'm going to be completely honest we did have a couple of gripes with the hotel. Our room was very high up and exposed and our room's front door had a crack along a seal in it so that the wind did tend to howl through it throughout the day and night. We did complain to the hotel but was told that 'they couldn't stop the wind!' so nothing was done about it. We got used to it but my 8 year old son used to get a bit freaked out by what he said sounded like a ghost! We were also quite close to the entertainment stage where the music is very loud until 11am. This wasn't really a problem for us but families with very young children might want to request they are away from that area.

The hotel is remotely situated so can feel a little insular at time (for the want of a better word). I would imagine you tend to get out of this resort what you're prepared to put into it. If you have children who love kids clubs, joining in, and trying new watersports then they'll be happy. If you hire a car or do a couple of trips that would break up the holiday a little. We hired a car for 75 euros halfway through our holiday and drove all over the island in one day. You do miss however just being able to leave the complex and stroll 20 minutes into a nearby town for a change of scenery. I guess this is one of the factors of booking an all inclusive holiday though, you do tend to spend more time in the resort because you know it's all been paid for already.

What started off as "oh my goodness this entertainment is so babyish and cheesy" became "let's go and watch Jessie J, Smily Kylie and Boogie Baz and have a game of Bingo". It's a family resort and they've got to appeal to all ages and those three work tirelessly to ensure everyone has a good time. Ok, it's not sophisticated and at times was cringeworthy but hey no one knew us, we were on holiday and if I want to get up and dance the super hero song then so be it! lol

I suggest that before you go you think about what you want to get from the holiday, go to the welcome meeting if only to get aquainted with what's on offer and where everything is, let your hair down, try something new and enjoy the sunshine!

1  Thank westsussexgirl

Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed at the BLV with my family, (2 Adults & 2 Kids, 5 & 9). I wil keep this brief.

The complex itself was absolutely fantastic, lots of pools, great range of food and mostly really friendly staff.

We were upgraded to a JUnior Suite as ours wasnt ready, impecably clean with a superb maid service, tidied up our mess daily.

My son got an ear infection and the 24/hr call out service was superb. The Doctor was at our room within the half hour and delivered the antibiotics 3 hours later.

I would recommend the Scuba trip, I have never dived before and did two with my family on a full day out, the only one who couldnt was my son as he was obviously too young.

I would also recommend the Volcano trip. Nice boat ride over to the Island opposite, lunch in a taverna followed by

Now come the badpoints:

Location - You are literally miles from anywhere with a 40 Euro round trip cab ride to the nearest town.

Entertainment - OMG I cannot belive Thomson palmed us off with, Bingo, stupid songs and the worst singers and Dancers I think I have ever seen.

I knew it was going to be poor when Smiley Lylie the host, dragged out the certificate presentation for best effort in the activity pool for the ridiculous games for 25 mins.

It went from the sublime to the ridiculous, they even rolled out MR & MRS with three willing participants. We only went three times in two weeks as it was so dire.

The kids Clubs - Fine for the five year old, ish he only attended once and didnt want to go back. The nine year old thought it was ridiculous and childish and didnt go back.

Its not rocket science Thomson, just some live bands a few discos and a few professional acts.

Tips -

If you want peace and quiet, ask to be in any block other than 7000 as that faces the main stage.

Use the Pool over by the GYM/ Block 1000 as it has a swim up bar and background music and no stupid games unlike the activity pool or Benidorm pool as we labelled it.

Book all the alternative restaurants the day you arrive, as they get booked up very quickly.

Summary -

Would I go back, I couldnt really fault the Village/Hotel. However If the location was better yes and if Thomson get there act together on the entertainment. But because of those two reasons I wouldnt return.

Room Tip: Go for Block 1000
2  Thank chuckle1973
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Gorgeous hotel great staff we had a wonderfull time ! But i must say the foood and drink at this hotel is not 5 star .The food i found was very nice but they really need to turn up the heating lamps or whatever they use .One morning i got my bacon an eggs returned to the table they were cold so they were left this is a small matter that i think should be sorted out ! Drinks in my opinion were poor quality we stayed at a 4 star last year a nd cocktails came in cocktail glasses ! This may seem minor but i like my drink to look good !Also no beer mats so the tables were soaking wet these small things do make a difference ! But apart from that Blue lagoon is a fantastic place clean an friendly ! An michael Jackson tribute is a must its so bad its hilarious ! Im sure you will enjoy this place !

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We just returned from BLV, where we stayed for a week. As other reviewers also noted, the resort is beautiful, immaculately clean, staff very attentive, and everything is new and of great quality.

The beach is absolutely stunning!

It could have the perfect resort for families...but unfortunately, the resort is located in a pretty windy location, and two out of the seven days of our stay were disrupted by the strong wind, which made it very cold to swim in the pool/sea and completely impossible to use the water slides. Also, even the non-windiest days ended up in pretty cool evenings. So, beware!

2  Thank Mirch
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We spent 2 days in this hotel due to overbooking at the far far superior Pallazzo del Mare hotel on the same island. (This latter hotel is, unbelievably part of the same group!) It would more accurately be named Blue Lagoon Suburb or Blue Lagoon Modern University Campus. It was a large and soulless complex of bland beige buildings. The reception is more like that of a corporate business - something financial, or regional development related perhaps - not a hotel. The staff were all good (although not as warmly friendly as those at the Pallazzo), in fact, with the air of Westworld that hung about the place I wondered if some of them would turn out to be robots! The food in the main buffet was good, but this dining room was very large with 3 centres, giving lots of variety, but much walking between the food consoles, leading to the feel of a canteen - generally the quality of fittings in the hotel is not good - with a distinctly budget Ikea quality. The red wine was just about ok (not suprisingly given that it is an all-inclusive hotel), and the coffee, in the breakfast buffet, was good, but order coffee from any of the bars and you will get instant.

Apart from the lack of atmosphere my biggest problem with this hotel is with the noise levels in the evening. The outdoor animation stage faces an amphitheatre of hotel rooms, so that, if you are in one of these rooms, as we were, you are subjected to considerable noise until 11pm every night. This might not be a problem, but should you wish to retire early (after a night flight for instance) you won't be able to sleep! Room sound proofing is meagre - I did complain to reception about the noise at 10.30 and it seemed as if the noise of the disco music did decrease. Of the four large pools we used the quiet one with the swim up bar, but found the availablity of sun loungers to be a problem. My kids liked the water park, but I don't know if they would have spent much more time there if we hadn't escaped so quickly. The beach seemed fine and quite extensive - 2km I was told.

This is a very functional hotel, with little atmosphere. It will appeal to some people but I have to say that even my children much preferred the Pallazo del Mare which is an exceptional hotel that does not expressly cater for children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the animation stage as possible.
1  Thank liberalquilt
Reviewed 29 August 2011

I've just been reading some of the reviews on here and was really suprised at some of them being negative so felt that I would leave my positive review as I feel that not enough are left.
We absolutely loved this place. It was the first time that we have booked and AI and did have some reservations. We didn't have to battle for sunbeds always plenty around the pools except for the activity pool which wouldn't be our choice of pool anyway (and some days we wasn't at a pool until 11am). The food was of a good quality and plenty of choice aswell. I don't think we would've have to eat the same thing twice if we didn't choose too. It wasn't piping hot as some have mentioned but if certainly wasn't cold or luke warm either. It was all very pleasant. We never experienced a dodgy tummy and to our knowledge neither did other people we spoke to when we were there. We also never had to wait for tables either which was another concern that we had for AI hotel. The hotel was very clean, there always people busying around cleaning and tending to the grounds. We were very pleased with our room. We had a swim up room. In our party there were 2 adults and 2 children age 6 and 8 in one room and it was plenty big enough and and we didn't feel like we were tripping up over each other. The beds were very comfortable and the sofa bed that our children shared was too. There was plenty of space for clothes for us all and i'm definately not a light packer!!! The staff were very friendly and all worked very hard to make you feel very welcome. Every night we witnessed the pool areas being hosed down and cleaned aswell as the pools. The entertainment was ok. The Thompson entertainment was a tad cheesey but kept us entertained. Again these people work so hard. Some evenings we chose to sit in one of the cocktail bars and play games with our children, something that we don't get alot of chance to do at home with busy family life. One day we were there we decided to hire a car from the car rental at the hotel. We chose one in the higher price bracket. We hired a wrangler jeep which cost us 99 euros for the day. We went off investigating the island and had a great day. We never felt confined at this hotel as there was so much variety of pools/adventure land/beach etc, which again was another concern being AI. It is all spread out so a stroll after a big dinner was all very welcome. There were lots of steps and slopes and although I am due to have surgery on my knee I never found a problem getting around and if I did feel uncomfortable at any time we would just flag down a golf buggy to drop me off. There are also lifts around although these arn't particulary well sign posted so just ask at reception. My husband made use of the gym facilities and he said that this was of a good standard and were all very clean. So all in all we loved this place. We would love to go again and would definately recommend it. Happy holidays to those waiting to go

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Karolyn S
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Fabulous hotel for families looking for high quality accomodation and food within luxurious surroundings!

FOOD - Something for everyone you could eat all day even the cocktail bar has a fridge with snacks in! We preferred the barbeque for lunch and the main buffet for dinner as there was so much variety and choice, a la carte (chinese and italian) are both ok but nothing to rave about...

POOLS - Huge, so huge that some days especially the windy ones they could be really cold still even in August when the temperature was mid 30's, but they were beautiful really clean and never got too busy. I know this has been said before but should really have made the pools smaller and provided more sunbeds. We loved Adventure Land it was never too crowded and brilliant for the kids to play for a couple of hours.

BEACH - We loved the beach the sand is a bit pebbly and the sea rocky but it is so quiet and loads of sunbeds, the wooden huts were great too you could spend the whole day here quite happily.

THOMSON REPS - Fantastic they really made the holiday the kids clubs are just brilliant and our son (age 6) went to everything! He loved the drop in sessions 10.30 - 12.30 and then TEAM 1 - 3 and he insisted on going to both every day and if we had let him he would have gone to all the evening parties as well !

Overall we had an amazing holiday, the hotel is spotless the staff are so polite and willing to help with anything and the resort is huge so there is lots of room to accomodate everyone, we went mid August and expected it to be heaving but it wasn't and that really made the holiday for us.

We would definitely return and would recommend it to anyone especially to families with children under 10.

3  Thank Brumrobo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Zeus Hotel
Zeus Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kefalos

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!