“Lovely complex and relaxing holiday”

Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Myself and husband and two sons aged 19 and 17 years have just returned from this hotel / village concept. We had originally booked a swim up room and Jacuzzi room and when we got there we had been given a free upgrade to an Executive Deluxe Suite. In the suite on our arrival was a chilled bottle of champagne, fruit basket and pastries which was a nice surprise. The suite had a free mini bar stocked daily with soft drinks and water. Tea and coffee was provided and an espresso coffee machine. There was a mini high fi but remember to take an auxiliary input lead to be able to play your IPod etc, as you will have to go into town to purchase one if you don’t.
The suite had a lovely sea view and daily maid service kept it clean and the private pool was lovely. The only downside to the suite we had (3411) was that there was an air con chilling unit for someone else’s suite near the patio and it was noisy. We did complain and the maintenance men did try to make it quieter and could not. We did ask to be moved but there were no swim up rooms available which is what we had booked originally. The noise did not ruin our holiday but was an annoyance at times but if I had of paid for this suite I would not have been happy and if you have booked a suite it might be worth bearing this in mind. Another advantage of the suites is the executive lounge that can be used. It has an inside and outside space and free use of the internet on laptops, soft drinks and red and white wine. Coffee etc and beer and cocktails can be ordered via the telephone from the bar and this is then brought to you. Although this was a lovely idea and one we enjoyed, it is not fully used and a bit of wasted space. The space available could have been made into a games room which this complex lacked. My sons were a bit bored at night and a pool table etc could have been the answer for them and other teenagers.
My sons had the Jacuzzi room and complementary water was in the room on our arrival at 01.30 am as we were not given the option of any food or drinks on our late arrival. If I am honest and I don’t know what the price difference is to a normal room compared to a Jacuzzi room, as this is what was available when we booked. Unless you want a Jacuzzi every day I don’t see the benefits of this room other than being a nice idea or good for couples. Tea and coffee was provided but 2 sachets of coffee and no more and the room was nice but as a novelty we used the Jacuzzi twice. Twice because the second time we had fathomed out how to turn up the temperature as no instructions are provided.

Food: Breakfast and evening dinner is in the main Aegean restaurant and not 5 star quality and cold if not luke warm at best and fussy eaters like me will struggle, however breakfast is good. We also ate at the adventure BBQ twice. This is were you cook your own food and I have to say this was probably the nicest but book for 7pm if you don’t want salmonella or e coli poisoning or if you know about food hygiene (although the area is clean) as watching people handling raw meat and not washing their hands and then touching everything was very off putting. Luckily we cooked our food first and left.
We also ate in the Chinese restaurant which was good and the Italian were the service was poor but the food ok, but if you sit outside in any of the restaurants people can smoke and this is wrong, as there should be outside smoking areas and non smoking areas because I like to sit outside but I don’t want to breath in cigarette smoke and the hotel should do something about this. In all the restaurants except the BBQ men have to wear long trousers at night, which is strange as long trousers can be jeans which to me is not a 5 star dress code and therefore a bit stupid but men will be turned away without long trousers, however there is no dress code for women.
Entertainment we can’t comment on as we never went and when we did venture to the pool it was to the leisure pool which was quieter and were you could always get a sun bed.
I did enjoy this village concept but if you are a lazy bones like me be prepared to have to walk up lots of steps or inclines and this should be made clear by Thomson’s. This is a family friendly resort but unless families with buggies knew something we did not, then I think you would struggle with small children and a buggy. The complex does provide transport around the resort if you need to get about.
On the whole we had a good holiday and certain aspects of the complex were 5 star but on the whole 4 star as I have been to better.

3  Thank lfcfanCheshire

Reviewed 4 September 2011

The Blue Lagoon Village was an excellent choice for a family with two children 10 and 5. For those who care about such things, the hotel is sensitively built, and although large it blends into the surrounding hillside; it is built in stone and painted in earth and sky tones and is spread out up the hill from the sea. There is a lot of greenery. The only real blot on the landscape are the slides, we must hope the trees grow a bit more. This would also be useful to shield the area from the wind. In general, the breeze is a bonus, but it is much stronger at the slides complex, so take something to wear. Regarding the slides, they suit pretty much every age, from two to fifty. The high ropes are excellent value, a challenging course which took the average person well over an hour, €10 for children, €15 for adults.

The sea is great for swimming. There is a fine view of the Kefalos headland and a small island (Gyali?). The location is quite remote, which I like, but would not suit some.

Regarding meals, the food was fine. I can only imagine that previous reviewers who complained about repetitive choices at the main restaurant somehow managed to eat everything at each meal. I am a vegetarian and ate something different each evening of five. The children loved it (pizza and pasta available at all times, plus a children’s section with things like chicken nuggets and sweetcorn). The other restaurants were fine, not haute cuisine (though we saw the chef from the fish restaurant – where we did not eat – picking rosemary from the bushes). Our family room was generous, two large rooms (two TVs) and a bathroom with a shower and a bath.

The swimming pools are excellent, clean and relatively uncrowded with the exception of the activity pool which is full of people doing activities. The pictures of the hotel don’t really do the largest pool justice. The very thin looking ribbon at the bottom of the standard picture is, in fact, a huge pool, perhaps 120m long, and at least 10m wide at its narrowest point. It was never crowded.

My children didn’t want to go to the kids clubs, but I heard they were excellent. BLV might not be the best choice if you want nightclubs, shopping or you don’t like swimming. Otherwise I could not recommend it more. The children loved it and I had the most relaxing holiday I have had since having the kids. Need I say more?

Room Tip: 4000s have good sea view, some 5000s good sea view
1  Thank Happy F
Reviewed 3 September 2011

First of all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the BLV. Maybe we are easily pleased! The hotel is very new and smart and has the ambition to be a five star resort. For some there may be a conflict between this ambition and the Thomson led entertainment which may not appeal to everyone although it is easily avoided.
Don't get me wrong because we loved Smiley Kylie, Jessie J and Boogie Baz (the main leaders of the daily activities) and they made our holiday both at the pool and at the evening entertainment which is definitely aimed at families like ours. However there is very little additional adult entertainment in the main theatre but we understand this is down to the Hotel rather than the Thomson team. The acts were cancelled a few times leaving the Thomson Team to provide an alternative.

As mentioned in other reviews the food in the complex is generally excellent and the specialty restaurants are quite good - the Chinese passes for a chinese and the First Date (couples only) has a relaxing by the sea atmosphere. We liked the do-it-yourself Adventure Barbecue although we made sure the chicken was cooked through. The only night-time themed restaurant which really did not pass muster was the Italian - no garlic bread and Spam in the salad. The Italian has got to be improved although during the day it is very good for pizza,pasta and salads.

The Thomson team were excellent - full marks for the kids clubs - wel run and disciplined. The Swim Academy girls were very dedicated and the Razzmatazz team were highly motivating. As always these activites make the holiday special for children.

The BLV is isolated although Kefalos itself did not appear to have much to offer other than the nearest place where the ardent footie fan could seek refuge there being currently absolutely no pay tv channels available in the hotel. Kos Town is compact with a good selection of shops although as always with slightly inflated euro prices.

While the BLV is isolated it is in a very nice location with an excellent beach only yards from the main pool area. There are three main pools in the complex plus various swim up pools. There is a quieter large swim up pool with no daytime activities on the cliff side of the complex and an activities pool and so called main pool on the seaside facing side. The activities pool seemed to have the Brits in the majority as this was the focus of the daily entertainment/music. The larger main pool which is at the front of the complex facing the sea seemed much under used by comparison. There were ample sunbeds throughout the complex and on the beach although we were there as things were just starting to run down i.e.last two weeks of August.

Overall we cannot fault the BLV for the holiday it provided the proof of this being that our daughter cried when we left! You have to judge for yourself whether the cost is absolute value for money but our experience was good. Would we go there again - no because we don't go to the same place again but we would not say no if anyone else would like to pay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 7756 (the highest numerically and literally) and had an excellent seaview
3  Thank PedroandSkippy
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We arrived at Kos Airport late at night and the transfer was smooth and quick (10 mins). The BLV looked excellent lit up in the dark and we were looking forward to our week. At reception we were told to sit on sofas and fill in our arrival cards while everyone else filled theirs in at reception receiving champagne etc (not a good start from Thomson). Our bags were transferred down on a buggy and our room was immaculate and nicely chilled. The first morning was spent at the very dreary Thomsom Welcome Meeting which went on for far too long with far too much information to take in. The Village was large but very bland looking, built into a mountain with (only) sea views and was quite windy although that was welcome sometimes. The beach was terrible, stony sand and pebbles waking into the sea, generally unpleasant but on the positive side, plenty of beds. Nothing to do for kids (ours 10 & 17) during the day except trips or pools (pools were excellent quality but beds/space around the pools in short supply). Entertainent consisted of bingo every night and a Thomson show otherwise there were no facilities. Staff weren't sure how to go on at 5* resort and came across as either just unpleasant or unfriendly, we didn't get to see the friendly welcoming side of Greek hospitality as expected. The food was plentiful and not too bad but do book the restaurants asap after arrival. This is not a British only facility (70% European / 30% British), TV is in German. The resort is a smoking resort but there are not too many people lighting up and my personal preference would have been non-smoking. I also think they need to decide whether they want kids here or to make it adults only, far more facilities for kids are needed!!!!! Trips we booked were Greek night (2 hours there, 1 1/2 hours back, not fantastic nor was food aplenty nor of great quality - avoid and Volcano (very long day but goes quickly, lots of time spent on bus and end result not worth it for me personally. We needed a late checkout (11pm flight) But the Hotel couldn't confirm this until 8pm the night before which left us unsettled. Finally, I was glad to be leaving and will be spending my £3500 for a week (2 adults, 2 kids) elsewhere next year.

Room Tip: room 7308 had no balcony view except of apartments in front, request upper rooms which have a sea vi...
6  Thank ShaunyJJ
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We returned home yesterday from 11 relaxing nights/days at the Blue Lagoon Village. I'm not going to dwell on the 'joys' of Kos airport, it's horrendous and you just have to deal with that and accept that it's not going to be a pleasure. Our rep greeted us and dramatically told us to "look at the most perfect view of your holiday" as we descended down the hilly road into the resort. The sight of the Blue Lagoon beautifully lit up at night time was a fantastic introduction to the resort.

We were taken with our luggage on the golf buggy to our room (5205) and was really pleased with our location. We were near to the main restaurant, overlooked all the private suites with their own pools and had a sea view. We were in a double room with a sofa bed for our 8 and 10 year old to share. The room was cool, spacious, the beds were really comfortable and furnishing a high spec.

Blue Lagoon Village is well designed but do expect lots of steps. We had to descend 99 steps from our room to the activity pool. Whilst I can see this would be a problem for the infirm, disabled or families with young children, there were always golf buggys driving through the resort more than happy to take you to where you needed to get to. I also saw the step climbing as an opportunity to burn off some calories consumed at the buffet or waffle house. The staff at the resort were all really welcoming and always greeted us regardless of whether we had seen them before or not. There is always some sort of cleaning going on and we even saw maintainance re-painting walls despite them only opening in May! The towel animals left on the beds were greeted with delight by our children and our room cleaners really did make our room immaculate on a daily basis.

Food was wonderful. Heartily recommend the Adventure BBQ for their lunchtime gyros! We ate at the chinese restaurant too and the food was good quality. Can't fault the main restaurant, always something to please on the buffet - especially the Greek doughnuts! The house wine was 'ok' and choice of all inclusive drinks ensured we never needed to dip into our pockets. Try the nuttela waffles and crepes at the ice cream house at your peril, seriously addictive and most likely the main reason I have returned 9lb heavier!

There is a constant breeze at this resort which for us was great as it made the 38 degree heat bearable. I found I needed something to cover my arms in the evenings but that's because I feel the cold, most people were fine.

If I'm going to be completely honest we did have a couple of gripes with the hotel. Our room was very high up and exposed and our room's front door had a crack along a seal in it so that the wind did tend to howl through it throughout the day and night. We did complain to the hotel but was told that 'they couldn't stop the wind!' so nothing was done about it. We got used to it but my 8 year old son used to get a bit freaked out by what he said sounded like a ghost! We were also quite close to the entertainment stage where the music is very loud until 11am. This wasn't really a problem for us but families with very young children might want to request they are away from that area.

The hotel is remotely situated so can feel a little insular at time (for the want of a better word). I would imagine you tend to get out of this resort what you're prepared to put into it. If you have children who love kids clubs, joining in, and trying new watersports then they'll be happy. If you hire a car or do a couple of trips that would break up the holiday a little. We hired a car for 75 euros halfway through our holiday and drove all over the island in one day. You do miss however just being able to leave the complex and stroll 20 minutes into a nearby town for a change of scenery. I guess this is one of the factors of booking an all inclusive holiday though, you do tend to spend more time in the resort because you know it's all been paid for already.

What started off as "oh my goodness this entertainment is so babyish and cheesy" became "let's go and watch Jessie J, Smily Kylie and Boogie Baz and have a game of Bingo". It's a family resort and they've got to appeal to all ages and those three work tirelessly to ensure everyone has a good time. Ok, it's not sophisticated and at times was cringeworthy but hey no one knew us, we were on holiday and if I want to get up and dance the super hero song then so be it! lol

I suggest that before you go you think about what you want to get from the holiday, go to the welcome meeting if only to get aquainted with what's on offer and where everything is, let your hair down, try something new and enjoy the sunshine!

1  Thank westsussexgirl
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed at the BLV with my family, (2 Adults & 2 Kids, 5 & 9). I wil keep this brief.

The complex itself was absolutely fantastic, lots of pools, great range of food and mostly really friendly staff.

We were upgraded to a JUnior Suite as ours wasnt ready, impecably clean with a superb maid service, tidied up our mess daily.

My son got an ear infection and the 24/hr call out service was superb. The Doctor was at our room within the half hour and delivered the antibiotics 3 hours later.

I would recommend the Scuba trip, I have never dived before and did two with my family on a full day out, the only one who couldnt was my son as he was obviously too young.

I would also recommend the Volcano trip. Nice boat ride over to the Island opposite, lunch in a taverna followed by

Now come the badpoints:

Location - You are literally miles from anywhere with a 40 Euro round trip cab ride to the nearest town.

Entertainment - OMG I cannot belive Thomson palmed us off with, Bingo, stupid songs and the worst singers and Dancers I think I have ever seen.

I knew it was going to be poor when Smiley Lylie the host, dragged out the certificate presentation for best effort in the activity pool for the ridiculous games for 25 mins.

It went from the sublime to the ridiculous, they even rolled out MR & MRS with three willing participants. We only went three times in two weeks as it was so dire.

The kids Clubs - Fine for the five year old, ish he only attended once and didnt want to go back. The nine year old thought it was ridiculous and childish and didnt go back.

Its not rocket science Thomson, just some live bands a few discos and a few professional acts.

Tips -

If you want peace and quiet, ask to be in any block other than 7000 as that faces the main stage.

Use the Pool over by the GYM/ Block 1000 as it has a swim up bar and background music and no stupid games unlike the activity pool or Benidorm pool as we labelled it.

Book all the alternative restaurants the day you arrive, as they get booked up very quickly.

Summary -

Would I go back, I couldnt really fault the Village/Hotel. However If the location was better yes and if Thomson get there act together on the entertainment. But because of those two reasons I wouldnt return.

Room Tip: Go for Block 1000
2  Thank chuckle1973
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Gorgeous hotel great staff we had a wonderfull time ! But i must say the foood and drink at this hotel is not 5 star .The food i found was very nice but they really need to turn up the heating lamps or whatever they use .One morning i got my bacon an eggs returned to the table they were cold so they were left this is a small matter that i think should be sorted out ! Drinks in my opinion were poor quality we stayed at a 4 star last year a nd cocktails came in cocktail glasses ! This may seem minor but i like my drink to look good !Also no beer mats so the tables were soaking wet these small things do make a difference ! But apart from that Blue lagoon is a fantastic place clean an friendly ! An michael Jackson tribute is a must its so bad its hilarious ! Im sure you will enjoy this place !

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Zeus Hotel
Zeus Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kefalos

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!