“5 Star all inclusive resort - yes. 5 Star hotel per se - no. Great holiday - definitely”

Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
UK
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is a great hotel - some of the reviews on here are a bit odd (and some of them are for the wrong hotel as they have been written for the Blue Lagoon Resort but posted on the Lagoon, idiots!)

This is a 5 star all inclusive hotel but as an experienced traveller I can say its not a 5 star hotel and there is a difference. The main difference being the overall level of service and food quality is not 5 star hotel quality but I've stayed in some great 4 and 5 star all inclusive places and it is easily on a par with those.

If your dumb enough to expect a 5star hotel - get off at the next bus stop and grab a brain! Obviously chavs with a weird view of life post on this site! I paid £5k and felt I got a £5k 2 week break. Obviously some people think that for £5k you get the Ritz for 2 weeks...

I loved this hotel and so did my family (me, my wife and my 2 kids aged 2 and 5). It has a great family feel and the room standard and overall build quality is very good. The activities for kids are fabulous - good kids club if you want to use that is run by Thomson and not the hotel (big difference there!)

The entertainment is ok - not great at night but the table service is welcome. Some of the shows are great but when its Greek night, take a walk on the beach or go back to your room. The drinks available are good and if you want to pay for international brands you can pay as you go for these.

Some FACTS:

- you do not have to pay for coffee, of any form, at ANY time of the day as some idiots have said on here
- you do not have to pay for sun beds on the beach either!
- interestingly, wireless is expensive by the hour at 5 euros but if you pay 20 euros you get 24 hours use (which I made last me the whole holiday as you use it as time spent)
- on the wireless internet, you can also use this in your room by ethernet cable if you take one to hook up your laptop (and its pretty fast - I'd say 10mb easy)

Parents:

- the shop on site has nappies, baby food
- there are baby changing rooms round pool and in bars
- you can get home comforts here like crisps, choc and some Robinsons juices if you really need to also
- the bars all day stock all kinds of juices for kids
- the snack bars do sandwiches, hot dogs, ice creams and waffles and crepes most of the day
- food at night has good selection of kids food and other "plain" foods
- microwave in restaurants to warm bottles and food if needed

Mobility:

- the hotel, due to its geography, is on several "tiers" which either involves walking up and down a few slopes / hills or taking a few stairs. If you have a pushchair you can easily find a slope but it may take you a little further to access. We had 2 young kids and it was easy
- some of the rooms are on the 2nd floor, requiring a pushchair lift if small children inside but its not really a problem
- if you really want to move around you can call a "taxi" golf cart buggy to transport you around easily. The club style layout makes this work really well. Including "thumbing" a lift to the Water Park (which is fun)

Location:

- This hotel is in a bay area and there is only one road in - a "top gear" style winding road dropping a couple of hundred feet.
- This means you cannot really leave the resort (this is good because its private and safe but bad as its 10km from anything! Unless you rent a car on site, you definitely cannot go anywhere except walk along the beach
- the beach itself is 100% private and very good

Food:

- very good. TIP: when in main restaurant just make sure you go to both "wings" as food different in evening in both!
- breakfast has good selection
- lunch takes place in a couple of locations and very good
- snack bars (mentioned above) are great for kids
- Italian, Chinese and BBQ good. The BBQ is cook your own which is nice
- even picky eaters will do ok here (Chips on full supply!)

Rooms:

- coffee making facilities
- fridge in room
- FREE safe (again not what other's have said!)
- good showers, beds etc
- TV's welcome but don't expect English channels past BBC Worldwide! (typical really)

KOS Airport

- joke!
- smallest building in world (I have a shed in my garden bigger!)
- don't expect luggage trollies without a fight and expect to queue outside

SUMMARY:

Great, you'll love it. A holiday is what you make it!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
20 Thank Serious_Webmaster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Berkshire
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We have just returned from 2 weeks at BLV- we went with some friends. We booked very early before it was built-risky, but we got good value for money. Here is what you really really need to know before you book; the resort is isolated, about 10km from anywhere worth going and getting out and about pricey- car hire is best. The resort is also, as previous reviewers have said, windy- a cooling breeze is great but expect a bad hair day every day!! The pools are all cold which means they are mostly empty. The 'activity pool' will remind you of Benidorm on a bad day, but if you like constant mindless entertainment and an array of tattoo's, fine. The leisure pool is more refined. I sound like a snob! And I am. Food- very good, although Italian at night poor and we thought the pizza's were awful. Drink-great, wine usually very decent. Watersports- good but quite expensive. Other things to do; tennis, football, rope course, Adventure land, which our kids loved but don't expect your kids to be able to use the larger slides if they are under 140cm tall, Ridiculous rule which upset my petite children a lot, especially as they are daredevils. Evening entertainment a bit tacky and amateurish, although my son loved the 'club dances'- which are played at least twice a night. It's a bit of a laugh but wouldn't go watch it every night. Plus avoid rooms around the auditorium if you want any peace in an evening. Kids entertainment- ours tried drop in club and claimed it 'babyish' (they are 7 and 9) but they went to couple of good evening kids parties which they enjoyed. I loved the windswept beach- great rockpools if you walk towards Kefalos. The sea is warmer than the pools. Visits- Kos Town is nice as is Zia in the hills, but my view is that Kos is not the place to go if you are a sightseer. All in all we had a good holiday- a bit like 'groundhog day' at times but if you are after relaxation in a contemporary setting, BLV is very pleasant indeed. And the hard-working staff were great. But if you prefer a bit more variety and less of a 'family' atmosphere, I would go for a much smaller hotel in a pretty resort, as BLV can feel a bit charmless and soulless as many reviewers here have said.

3 Thank SalAliceD
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

We returned last week after spending 11 days at this lovely hotel. We were a party of 5, with ages ranging from 6-60 and all had a fantastic time. The staff all worked tirelessly to meet your every need, from bar staff, room maids to waiters; they were truly amazing. The entertainment was as good as you wanted it to be. Boogie Baz and his team went out of their way to include everyone, but also were respectful to those that chose not to join in. We will remember the end of our evenings for a long time!The food was good, freshly cooked, although could be a little more variation. Stella at the beach hut always had a smile, no matter how busy she was. We tired to find a dirty area but failed miserably! Spotlessly clean everywhere. Would recommend this hotel and definitely plan to return

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Happyheb
Cheshire
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Myself and husband and two sons aged 19 and 17 years have just returned from this hotel / village concept. We had originally booked a swim up room and Jacuzzi room and when we got there we had been given a free upgrade to an Executive Deluxe Suite. In the suite on our arrival was a chilled bottle of champagne, fruit basket and pastries which was a nice surprise. The suite had a free mini bar stocked daily with soft drinks and water. Tea and coffee was provided and an espresso coffee machine. There was a mini high fi but remember to take an auxiliary input lead to be able to play your IPod etc, as you will have to go into town to purchase one if you don’t.
The suite had a lovely sea view and daily maid service kept it clean and the private pool was lovely. The only downside to the suite we had (3411) was that there was an air con chilling unit for someone else’s suite near the patio and it was noisy. We did complain and the maintenance men did try to make it quieter and could not. We did ask to be moved but there were no swim up rooms available which is what we had booked originally. The noise did not ruin our holiday but was an annoyance at times but if I had of paid for this suite I would not have been happy and if you have booked a suite it might be worth bearing this in mind. Another advantage of the suites is the executive lounge that can be used. It has an inside and outside space and free use of the internet on laptops, soft drinks and red and white wine. Coffee etc and beer and cocktails can be ordered via the telephone from the bar and this is then brought to you. Although this was a lovely idea and one we enjoyed, it is not fully used and a bit of wasted space. The space available could have been made into a games room which this complex lacked. My sons were a bit bored at night and a pool table etc could have been the answer for them and other teenagers.
My sons had the Jacuzzi room and complementary water was in the room on our arrival at 01.30 am as we were not given the option of any food or drinks on our late arrival. If I am honest and I don’t know what the price difference is to a normal room compared to a Jacuzzi room, as this is what was available when we booked. Unless you want a Jacuzzi every day I don’t see the benefits of this room other than being a nice idea or good for couples. Tea and coffee was provided but 2 sachets of coffee and no more and the room was nice but as a novelty we used the Jacuzzi twice. Twice because the second time we had fathomed out how to turn up the temperature as no instructions are provided.

Food: Breakfast and evening dinner is in the main Aegean restaurant and not 5 star quality and cold if not luke warm at best and fussy eaters like me will struggle, however breakfast is good. We also ate at the adventure BBQ twice. This is were you cook your own food and I have to say this was probably the nicest but book for 7pm if you don’t want salmonella or e coli poisoning or if you know about food hygiene (although the area is clean) as watching people handling raw meat and not washing their hands and then touching everything was very off putting. Luckily we cooked our food first and left.
We also ate in the Chinese restaurant which was good and the Italian were the service was poor but the food ok, but if you sit outside in any of the restaurants people can smoke and this is wrong, as there should be outside smoking areas and non smoking areas because I like to sit outside but I don’t want to breath in cigarette smoke and the hotel should do something about this. In all the restaurants except the BBQ men have to wear long trousers at night, which is strange as long trousers can be jeans which to me is not a 5 star dress code and therefore a bit stupid but men will be turned away without long trousers, however there is no dress code for women.
Entertainment we can’t comment on as we never went and when we did venture to the pool it was to the leisure pool which was quieter and were you could always get a sun bed.
I did enjoy this village concept but if you are a lazy bones like me be prepared to have to walk up lots of steps or inclines and this should be made clear by Thomson’s. This is a family friendly resort but unless families with buggies knew something we did not, then I think you would struggle with small children and a buggy. The complex does provide transport around the resort if you need to get about.
On the whole we had a good holiday and certain aspects of the complex were 5 star but on the whole 4 star as I have been to better.

3 Thank lfcfanCheshire
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The Blue Lagoon Village was an excellent choice for a family with two children 10 and 5. For those who care about such things, the hotel is sensitively built, and although large it blends into the surrounding hillside; it is built in stone and painted in earth and sky tones and is spread out up the hill from the sea. There is a lot of greenery. The only real blot on the landscape are the slides, we must hope the trees grow a bit more. This would also be useful to shield the area from the wind. In general, the breeze is a bonus, but it is much stronger at the slides complex, so take something to wear. Regarding the slides, they suit pretty much every age, from two to fifty. The high ropes are excellent value, a challenging course which took the average person well over an hour, €10 for children, €15 for adults.

The sea is great for swimming. There is a fine view of the Kefalos headland and a small island (Gyali?). The location is quite remote, which I like, but would not suit some.

Regarding meals, the food was fine. I can only imagine that previous reviewers who complained about repetitive choices at the main restaurant somehow managed to eat everything at each meal. I am a vegetarian and ate something different each evening of five. The children loved it (pizza and pasta available at all times, plus a children’s section with things like chicken nuggets and sweetcorn). The other restaurants were fine, not haute cuisine (though we saw the chef from the fish restaurant – where we did not eat – picking rosemary from the bushes). Our family room was generous, two large rooms (two TVs) and a bathroom with a shower and a bath.

The swimming pools are excellent, clean and relatively uncrowded with the exception of the activity pool which is full of people doing activities. The pictures of the hotel don’t really do the largest pool justice. The very thin looking ribbon at the bottom of the standard picture is, in fact, a huge pool, perhaps 120m long, and at least 10m wide at its narrowest point. It was never crowded.

My children didn’t want to go to the kids clubs, but I heard they were excellent. BLV might not be the best choice if you want nightclubs, shopping or you don’t like swimming. Otherwise I could not recommend it more. The children loved it and I had the most relaxing holiday I have had since having the kids. Need I say more?

Room Tip: 4000s have good sea view, some 5000s good sea view
1 Thank Happy F
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 3 September 2011

First of all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the BLV. Maybe we are easily pleased! The hotel is very new and smart and has the ambition to be a five star resort. For some there may be a conflict between this ambition and the Thomson led entertainment which may not appeal to everyone although it is easily avoided.
Don't get me wrong because we loved Smiley Kylie, Jessie J and Boogie Baz (the main leaders of the daily activities) and they made our holiday both at the pool and at the evening entertainment which is definitely aimed at families like ours. However there is very little additional adult entertainment in the main theatre but we understand this is down to the Hotel rather than the Thomson team. The acts were cancelled a few times leaving the Thomson Team to provide an alternative.

As mentioned in other reviews the food in the complex is generally excellent and the specialty restaurants are quite good - the Chinese passes for a chinese and the First Date (couples only) has a relaxing by the sea atmosphere. We liked the do-it-yourself Adventure Barbecue although we made sure the chicken was cooked through. The only night-time themed restaurant which really did not pass muster was the Italian - no garlic bread and Spam in the salad. The Italian has got to be improved although during the day it is very good for pizza,pasta and salads.

The Thomson team were excellent - full marks for the kids clubs - wel run and disciplined. The Swim Academy girls were very dedicated and the Razzmatazz team were highly motivating. As always these activites make the holiday special for children.

The BLV is isolated although Kefalos itself did not appear to have much to offer other than the nearest place where the ardent footie fan could seek refuge there being currently absolutely no pay tv channels available in the hotel. Kos Town is compact with a good selection of shops although as always with slightly inflated euro prices.

While the BLV is isolated it is in a very nice location with an excellent beach only yards from the main pool area. There are three main pools in the complex plus various swim up pools. There is a quieter large swim up pool with no daytime activities on the cliff side of the complex and an activities pool and so called main pool on the seaside facing side. The activities pool seemed to have the Brits in the majority as this was the focus of the daily entertainment/music. The larger main pool which is at the front of the complex facing the sea seemed much under used by comparison. There were ample sunbeds throughout the complex and on the beach although we were there as things were just starting to run down i.e.last two weeks of August.

Overall we cannot fault the BLV for the holiday it provided the proof of this being that our daughter cried when we left! You have to judge for yourself whether the cost is absolute value for money but our experience was good. Would we go there again - no because we don't go to the same place again but we would not say no if anyone else would like to pay.

Room Tip: We stayed in 7756 (the highest numerically and literally) and had an excellent seaview
3 Thank PedroandSkippy
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We arrived at Kos Airport late at night and the transfer was smooth and quick (10 mins). The BLV looked excellent lit up in the dark and we were looking forward to our week. At reception we were told to sit on sofas and fill in our arrival cards while everyone else filled theirs in at reception receiving champagne etc (not a good start from Thomson). Our bags were transferred down on a buggy and our room was immaculate and nicely chilled. The first morning was spent at the very dreary Thomsom Welcome Meeting which went on for far too long with far too much information to take in. The Village was large but very bland looking, built into a mountain with (only) sea views and was quite windy although that was welcome sometimes. The beach was terrible, stony sand and pebbles waking into the sea, generally unpleasant but on the positive side, plenty of beds. Nothing to do for kids (ours 10 & 17) during the day except trips or pools (pools were excellent quality but beds/space around the pools in short supply). Entertainent consisted of bingo every night and a Thomson show otherwise there were no facilities. Staff weren't sure how to go on at 5* resort and came across as either just unpleasant or unfriendly, we didn't get to see the friendly welcoming side of Greek hospitality as expected. The food was plentiful and not too bad but do book the restaurants asap after arrival. This is not a British only facility (70% European / 30% British), TV is in German. The resort is a smoking resort but there are not too many people lighting up and my personal preference would have been non-smoking. I also think they need to decide whether they want kids here or to make it adults only, far more facilities for kids are needed!!!!! Trips we booked were Greek night (2 hours there, 1 1/2 hours back, not fantastic nor was food aplenty nor of great quality - avoid and Volcano (very long day but goes quickly, lots of time spent on bus and end result not worth it for me personally. We needed a late checkout (11pm flight) But the Hotel couldn't confirm this until 8pm the night before which left us unsettled. Finally, I was glad to be leaving and will be spending my £3500 for a week (2 adults, 2 kids) elsewhere next year.

Room Tip: room 7308 had no balcony view except of apartments in front, request upper rooms which have a sea vi...
6 Thank ShaunyJJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!