“Totally relaxing, loved it!”

Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Bournemouth
“Totally relaxing, loved it!”
Reviewed 2 November 2011

My boyfriend and I spent a week in the resort mid September, it was our first proper holiday together and I am pretty fussy too, so I had high expectations! The transfer from Kos Airport is super quick (you can see the resort as you come into land) which was great and so even though we didn't land till 21:45 we managed to try out three of the bars as soon as we arrived at the hotel!

Rooms
Our room was fab, we upgraded to a Jacuzzi with a sea view and it was well worth it as we used it every evening. Only negative about the room really was the bed, as we had twin beds pushed together which didn't stay together as they weren't fixed in place. A bit annoying. There was water in the minibar on arrival which doesn't get re-stocked, but you can ask for bottles of water from any of the bars and take them back to the room to keep in the fridge, as well as taking wine or cocktails back to the room if you want in room drinks. The hairdryer (ladies!) was bit rubbish, and took ages, so bring your won if you can fit it in your baggage allowance.

Really yummy food and a great variety of choice. The Sushi Bar still wasn't opened, but it had an extra charge anyway, so we probably would have used it. The Italian is open for buffet lunch self service in the day, but its waiter service at night, and really tasty. We went to the First Date restaurant twice, and both ate different things for each course every time, so a good enough selection to go more than once on the menu. The Chinese was really tasty, and the staff were great. Amazing pancakes and waffles at the pool, the staff there are a little bit grumpy, but ignore that as the taste is worth it! We really liked doing the Adventure BBQ, is very relaxed (the only place men can wear shorts at dinner) and there is a big selection of meats, salads, dips etc. We hardly ate in the Aegean buffet at all except for breakfast, but the choices are huge, and its worth knowing that the food is different in each of the three sections, so its worth a wander round before you pick.

Drinks
It is only locally branded spirits, and a few of the cocktails are made from a ready mix, so nothing to get too excited about there, and they only had a limited menu to choose from. But the beer is fine, and the wine with dinner is actually surprisingly drinkable, in the past at all inclusives the house wine has been a real no no, but we had the red, white & rose and it went down fine!

Entertainment
This was really for us, we heard it from a distance, but never went. However I didn't go expecting to spend time at the entertainment, so I wasn't disappointed. The main pool where they do the entertainment is the busiest, and the nosiest, and again we weren't really interested in the entertainment supplied there so we just chose not to go there. There are so many places to sit/lie both in the day and evening that you really can please yourself and do as much or as little as you like. The water park on site was great fun and only a little stroll away. We didn't get round to the high ropes course (didn't really have appropriate footwear with me!) but that looked like good fun.

Adults/Children
I understand people's comments about the resort needing to decide who it’s for, is it a five star couples resort, or a family resort with loud entertainment and pool games? But actually for us, it didn't really matter. There are adult only areas, and quieter areas, so if you don't want to be around families/children you don't have to, and likewise if you have kids then the facilities are great and it all feels very clean and safe.

Weather/Temperature
There's much said on reviews on here about the wind and the pools being cold. Yes, the pools are cold. I didn't swim, but I probably wouldn't even if they weren't that cold! It didn't seem to stop people (adults and children) swimming and my boyfriend went in every day. I would also agree that it’s breezy, but when it’s really hot, a breeze is very welcome, and it was no where near as windy/cool as other review has implied. We may have been lucky with the weather, but I don't like being cold, and I only had to put a cardigan on on one occasion, so it must have been warm!

To sum up, we had a wonderful relaxing holiday, with helpful staff, a fab variety of places to eat and drink, lovely weather and beautiful views.

Two very happy customers!

Room Tip: We loved having the Jacuzzi room, would reccomend it!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CarlaHolibobs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We spent half term at the BLV in a family suite. As many reviews have said the size, cleanliness and quality of the rooms was amazing. It is so hard to find a hotel which gives us a separate room to our boys but as they are only 12 and 8 still have them in a 'room within the room'. Very relaxing balcony with sea view. Best shower I've used too.

The whole place was spotlessly clean and food and drink was available every minute you are awake! Gardens etc were really well maintained.

We ate at the Agean, the Italian and the Chinese. All food served was very tasty and all waiting staff could not have done more for us.

It is such a refreshing change to receive good customer service. I really hope Thomson recognise what a difference this makes.

My younger son still can't believe he was allowed pancakes and ice creams whenever he wanted!

The pools were lovely but only my younger son braved the cold water. That is only to be expected this time of year. To compensate, the hotel allowed the children to use the indoor heated pool for a few hours in the afternoon which is normally an adult only pool.

We were informed of the limited restaurants but in 7 nights we ate in three different restaurants so we couldn't really complain. There were only 170 or so guests and it made sense to reduce the choice.

If I did have an issue, however, it was on the last day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all only available in the Italian restaurant. Most of the food for dinner was the same as that at lunch and my husband recognised some of the food from the previous day. This could have been forgiven for the last day until we sat in the cocktail bar that evening and watched 800 guests pass through on their way to their banquet in the main restaurant - what about us?!

My younger son enjoyed the evening entertainment but I thought it was very poor. The Thomson entertainment staff were really great and seemed to work endlessly morning noon and night. I think the evening entertainment was made up as they went along which may mean the planned events were cancelled. I dont mind cheesy entertainment as it is a family hotel. However, the stage shows at Butlins for example are actually very good and Thomson really need to go back to the drawing board on this one.

My younger son did not want to use the kids club. These were only organised for up to 11 years so there was nothing for my 12 year old to do. He joined in with poolside activities and watersports but a room with an xbox or pool table etc would have been great for evenings.

I had a really relaxing week and my husband and the boys had a great time too. The area around the Village was barron but the Village itself was brilliant.

If you just want to unpack and be spoilt for a week this is definately the place to go.

• Stayed October 2011
4 Thank greenjacranger
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We arrived at this hotel just before midnight on the 22nd October. Our first impressions were good and the reception area was immaculate. The staff were very efficient and the check in was quick. We were shown to our room by one of the staff on a buggy. The room initially seemed fine, but we could not find the jacuzzi! We had booked a jacuzzi room and we were really excited about using this during the holiday. I rang reception and they stated that they had given us an "upgrade", which was basically a 2 bedroomed room, rather than the one bedroomed jacuzzi room. My daughter will not sleep in a room by herself in a hotel, so this was absolutely no use to us. We booked this holiday partly because of the appeal of the jacuzzi. The hotel staff told me that the room we had booked was not available and they could not do anything that evening. It transpired the next day, when the Rep was involved, that the jacuzzi room block had been closed down. When we were shown the room, the maid was filling the jacuzzi and putting the curtains back up! Although this spoilt the beginning of the holiday, I thought that things would get better. How wrong I was!!
From the second day of the holiday everything started to close down. They started to run out of food and drinks. The draught lager ran out on the Monday, which just left cans of "Fix" lager. The diet coke was being served out of old Sprite bottles and was not carbonated! The cocktails were not even made out of the local spirits, but pre prepared cocktail flavoured drinks. The food was lovely for the first 3 nights, but this deteriorated over the week. The official entertainment ended on the Tues night, which left the Thomsons reps trying their best to entertain us all.
One of the bars never opened during our stay and the others closed one by one. The beach bar and snack bar closed on Thursday night, even though the majority of the holiday makers were on the beach. We could not use the main restaurant for the last 3 nights of our stay, as the hotel were preparing for a large Greek wedding, with apparently 800 guests. The wedding looked fantastic, with lovely food and brilliant entertainment. This was being held in the restaurant that we should have been able to use, whilst the hotel crammed all of the guests into the very small Italian restaurant and one bar (because everything else was closed). The food was absolutely appauling, with flies crawling all over it. We did not even have proper glasses, just plastic cups from the beach bar. My daughter only ate a piece of bread, as there was nothing she liked. I ate very little as the sight of the flies just turned my stomach. This was all bad enough, without having to watch this lavish wedding taking place in front of us all. The hotel also managed to keep all of the shops open, but could not keep the other facilities (which we had paid for) open.
The Thomson reps tried their best, but did not seem to get anywhere with the management. I tried to speak to the Manager, but he did not seem interested and dismissed everything I said. I will never return to this hotel, or to any other Blue Lagoon hotel.

Room Tip: The jacuzzi rooms are good fun!
12 Thank JANE B
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I booked a last minute 1 week stay in the last week of October 2011 at the blue lagoon village kos.  Overall we had an enjoyable and relaxing time.  The hotel opening in May 2011 so as you would expect everything was brand new. They have fitted out the facility to a high standard and the place definitely has a luxurious feel to it. The setting is superb, with 180 degree vista of the sea and mountains.   Great choice of water sports and the water park is great for adults and kids alike.  Evening entertainment for adults was non existent though this could be due to the last week of the season.  Though there was plenty of entertainment for the kids. The gym and spa facilities are good and all the staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you.  The only grumble about the hotel was that it had the feel of a place closing down for winter into about the third day of our holiday. A number of bars and restaurants closed, they should have waited until the last guest left before closing the resort around paying guests.  The only other warning is to be very wary of the on site doctor, ensure you have insurance.  We had an unfortunate need to call a doctor who's objective was to maximise the amount of money he could extract from us.  All in all I would recommend this place to family and friends.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Chrisprees
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Ditto to all the reviews of the last week. If you want a cold, souless futuristic looking resort with a high percentage of rude staff and being made to feel you are an inconvenience which they are quite happy to take money from without providing much of a service this is the place for you!!Worst food I have encountered but being cold at the same time as being constantly covered with flies. I hooe they will make more of an effort in future due to so many bad reviews but Im afraid that if this is the attitude of management, and hence their staff, after only being open six months, then be prepared for an ongoing lack of concern for standards from here on in. Really wouldn't return even if I was offered a discount holiday.

Room Tip: Adult only section is nicest
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Wales14
London
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Not what I had expected from a 5* Hotel/Resort, The location is perfect and the Hotel itself is very well presented and maintained to a high standard, however there were many disappoinments to follow during our stay.

As already mentioned in previous reviews, the hotel decided to start shutting down facilities from the monday (we arrived on Saturday at about 9pm), bars started closing, and then the main shop run out of stock (kiddies - crisps, snacks etc) we were told this was due to the strikes in mainland Greece only then to be told on the Thursday that they would not be restocking as the Villiage (BLV) was to close on the Sunday after we had all left; very disappointing.

We paid for a 5* service and I could honestly say it was probably no more than a 3* - however this can only be due to the fact it was the end of the season.

I would recommend to visit there during peak season (though could prove to be costly) but certainly not at the end of season (last week of Oct)

There was a lot of disappointed and disgruntled customers and the complaints list was very long (got a sneak preview at the recption desk) i'm sure who ever asked recieved a late check out for free.

Food - Not bad, however a lot of flies hovering around and not a sign of any efforts being made to reduce - not much of a choice during the later part of the week due to all but one place still open for breakfast, lunch & dinner.

Beach - Not the best i've seen as it was certainly not up to standard, there were a lot of rocks/large concret slabs beneath a layer of 3 inch sand.

Wouldn't return to the BLV.

Room Tip: Family Rooms, facing the main pool and over looking the beach, are fantastic
Wales
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Got there early hours of the morning and very pleased with the room upgrade to a swim up room (1614). Room was very nice with tea and cofee supplied and water and fruit although the teal and coffee was not replaced when used and the mini bar was never restocked with anything. The surroundings are excellent and the resort has the potential to be 5 star. For my visit I would say it just scrapped 3 star. So what went wrong I hear you ask.

The food was very mediocre and got worse through the week. Bacon only available on 2 days out of 7. Grapefruit juice for 3 days out of 7. The toasters dissappeared on one day and I had to ask for them to be brought back. The eggs were usually under cooked and the risotto at the italian restaurant on one occasion would pass for wallpaper paste. The food was never hot enough but at least there was plenty of it and there was reasonable variety,

By the 3rd day the management decided to start shutting the hotel down. First to go was the wet bar, so now we had a 200 Mtr walk each way to get a drink, if you wanted drinks for 4 then 2 trips needed because no trays available! Next to go was the BBQ that I had booked as they ran out of gas apparently. Then the beach bar closed and finally all the restaurants except the italian closed. At this restaurant there was beer wine or water, not even any soft drinks and waiters were not interested in going to get some. We really felt that we were in the way of the hotel shut down and the preparations for the wedding party for 800 guests.

The reception staff, would happily lie both to us and to the Thomson reps about the reasons for facilities closing.

The hotel had so many complaints this week that they agreed to allow a free late checkout to anyone who asked for it providing they signed to say that you would not make any further claim on the hotel for any problems.

I had a long talk with the manager and he did say that service was not as high as usual due mainly to the strikes in Greece and hence the offer of compensation of late checkout. He also agreed that Thomson were only told of the facilities being shut down on the Tuesday (the day after the wet bar was closed).

To add insult to injury a sum of money was stolen from my wifes purse which was in her handbag in the room on the last day.

So, if you dont go to the hotel on the last week of opening and with the expectation of 4star service you will probalby come away pleased. I will not return.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms are not connected to the main pool so not really worth bothering with.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
#2 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!