“Another wonderful stay at BLV”

Blue Lagoon Village
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Having exceeded our expectations last year we returned to BLV. Yet again they continue to deliver over and above. This is a superbly run hotel with a team that go out of their way to ensure everyone's needs are met. Nothing is too much trouble. Spotlessly clean and well presented throughout, it would be very hard to better this, hence why we have already booked for 2013. Thank you BLV for another fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Blue Lagoon Village

Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed there in June 2012 and found this to be a great hotel with plenty of pools and great kids clubs (provided you book with Thomsons). Hotel staff very friendly and eager to help. Cleanliness was excellent and you can see they make repairs immediately as necessary.
Couple of small negatives - only two lunch time restaurants - food sameish every day, if you didn't get to activity pool early enough then no chance of getting loungers and they don't enforce the no placement of towels rule, mini bar in room doesn't get replenished.
Loved the cabanas on the beach (25 euros for day), availability of snacks at pool (great pancakes) and water park short walk along beach.
Hotel very remote but everything you need for a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi and swim up rooms are good value for money. Don't worry if sea or garden view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank denzil16
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Just spent the middle two weeks of August (2012) at the Blue Lagoon Village

All-inclusive via Thomsons, whose English and German customers (TUI) accounts for about 80%+ of the occupancy. Thomsons provide all of the entertainment, leisure and child care staff I noted.

We enjoyed our break, but I did kind of fall out of love with the place as the fortnight progressed

(Perhaps the first thing to say is, we're talking about Greece where 5* always equals 4* in my experience)

The Blue Lagoon Village Hotel is vast, set in a valley by the sea in the southwest of Kos towards Kefalos.

A cautionary note, it's a complex designed for guests to stay there throughout. It is in the middle of nowhere (even the access road down the hill is purpose made) there are no local bars etc.. After 10 days I was going a little crazy but we took trips to the volcanic island of Nisoros, walked the 4 km down the beach to Paradise Beach and hired a car for a day.

We did find the colossal size of the place a bit of a grind after a while, particularly with young kids. Depending on what pool you chose, you had a hike for towels, lunch, adventure land etc. (which I guess is why the more centrally located lower pools were always so busy)

To be fair, they also lay on golf buggy taxis though out the day which I did hop on a few times

Lots of people are just happy to stay put and there is lots to keep you entertained depending on your tastes

The hotel is spread across both sides of the valley. The architecture is very sleek surrounded by maturing gardens.

He rooms are big and nicely / contemporarily decorated.

The whole place is immaculate and constantly being cleaned by an army of cleaners and groundsmen - there is a team who simply go around washing all of the countless panes of glass (all of the balconies are glazed)

We did have to complain on a couple of occasions about not getting enough bath towels or replenished shampoos which all seemed a bit hit and miss.

The hotel is built around 5 pools, an upper leisure pool, where we went most days as it was quieter, 2 lower pools down by the beach, one being a noisy activity pool - reminded me of an upscale Butlins some days!

The only problem with the top pool, whilst quieter, was there was no food (only drinks) - hence my later comments about having to shlack around a lot of eat etc..

I would recommend management put a shack up there (theres room by the pool bar) like they have at the beach bar, serving hot dogs, croque monsieurs, crepes etc.

There is then a adult pool (adjacent to the adult only block) as well as an indoor and outdoor pool within the gym complex.

The quality of water, beds and towels were great. Our life guard at the top pool was lovely also (Vivi).

In fact, in most instances all of the staff and the service they provided was great. Particularly liked Stella in the beach bar (she served a mean hotdog!) and Mickeala, the pool waitress at the top pool, was lovely too.

I dont agree with the previous review about the service being terrible - not at all

We were spoilt a little last year in terms of the buffet dining as we went to Thomsons Sensatori in Tenerife, which will always take some beating. That being said, I thought the quality was OK, the actual dining experience, less so. The restaurant is vast, busy and noisy.

The food is spread over three stations which means a lot of walking around to choose what you want - helps burns calories I suppose!

I did find the food very repetitive after a while, which was one of the main problems I had.

The Blue Lagoon Village has a number of all inclusive ala carte restaurants, an Italian, a Chinese and an adventure BBQ. The latter being a cook it yourself BBQ restaurant, which we figured was to absolve the hotel of any liability if you ate undercooked BBQ meat (I joke - I think)

We really enjoyed the BBQ - the Italian and chinese ala carte were ok.

That being said, the Italian buffet at lunch was very very good. One dish, a roasted chicken dish in a white wine sauce with gnocchi was amazing - I told the chef so too.

The hotel also had a couple of ala carte restaurants which you had to pay for - a couples venue and a sushi joint, never saw the latter open, a bit niche and why pay for something when all of the other catering is so good?

You were allowed entry to each ala carte once a week, you booked in advance via guest services for your whole stay which I thought worked well, unlike the afore mentioned Sensatoris where you booked 48 hours in advance and turned into a scrum / pot luck

The all inclusive drinks were plentiful and good and potent!!

I used the leisure facilities a lot, aimed to burn 1500 calories a day so as to not go back home ginormous!

The gym was reasonably equipped, although it needs a rowing machine and a few pieces needed a little TLC, like one of the bikes.

I did spinning a couple of times which was ok, although I've had tougher instructors.

I also ran quite a bit and developed a mean circuit taking in the local hills and beach - be warned, it's very hot in August though! (40C plus)

One thing we did love was the adventure land within the hotel complex, this was further along the beach, within the expansive hotel grounds and comprised water slides, a football pitch, tennis courts and a wicked high ropes set up. You had to pay for this (10 euros for kids and 15 for adults) but it was 2 hours of awesome fun.

Played 5 aside a couple of times too which was fun, albeit some take it more serious than others, there was one Russian guy who I thought was gonna have a heart attack!

The hotels clientele was very diverse (despite the Thomson monopoly) - including Brits, Germans, Dutch, French, Austrians, Danes, Russians and a lot of Israelis (which is only an hour or so from Kos). We really enjoyed the mix - eastern Europeans with their new money are hilarious and we had some interesting chats with a number of Israeli families.

That being said, different cultures have different views on manners, talking to staff and queuing....

Evening entertainment consisted of a mediocre 2 piece in the main bar or the Thomson nightly Caberet show at the outside stage, which was impressive. Some show nights were better than others, but you couldn't fault them for effort.

Apart from the food getting a bit samey, the only other real gripe I had was I expect wifi in a "5 star" to be free they wanted to charge 20 euros a day, over 200 pounds for the fortnight, actually used 3G for emails, it was cheaper! They need to look at this.

All in all I would rate our time at the Blue Lagoon as above average, we've been to better and some a lot worse

To sum up:

The place is spotless, the staff generally very attentive, quality of drinks, food and entertainment is fine, but, like I said, I'd had enough after 12 days or so, on the basis of the place being so massive & isolated, the food being repetitive and the cost of wifi (I know some of these won't sound like reasons not to go, but there you are!)

Room Tip: Go for one of the larger family suites with either hot tub or swim up pool
9  Thank MJH1
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed for 1 week at the BLV, and had the most amazing time, only wish we could of stayed there longer! The resort was very comfortable and safe, which was important to us as we have a 7month and 5yr old. the rooms were great (standard twin with pull out and cot, in block 7000) even though we could hear the noise from the stage, it never bothered us as this was always finished by 11pm.
Food was brilliant and plenty of choice - like others have already said make sure you go around the corner in the main restaurant where there was another food station. Also highly recommend the chinese restaurant. You could never get bored with the variety of restaurants on offer.
However we never saw anyone remove towels and therefore made sure we were always at the activity pool before 10am in order to get a spot near to the baby pool.
Facilities were great - in particular I found the parent and baby room very helpful (2 cots, toys, steriliser, bottle warmer, and even stocked with nappies!) They could really do with more lifts going down to the main restaurant - we had 2 buggies in our party and we often had to wait awhile for it.
All staff worked extremely hard, considering most of the staff would not be having a day off until the end of Oct! Great service everywhere - only one small criticism being the waiters were very keen to remove drinks even with half a drink left in them!
My daughter loved the Thomson entertainment in the eve and dancing with the reps, who also worked so hard all week.
By far the best All inclusive I have ever been too, looking forward to going back sometime soon!

6  Thank cmcw37
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Nice looking hotel and good facilities but bad service.. many of the staff make you feel like a complete inconvenience and are very patronising when you request anything. What a pity - this could be a great place but actually has no soul and no friendly atmosphere and certainly not 5 star service. Some serious staff training needs to take place and the management need to be on hand and customer focused. Really regret paying good money to spend a frustrating 2 weeks here!

9  Thank SamS410
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed in a 2 bedroom family suite with seaview for a week in August. Transfer from the airport was quick (10-15 minutes) and as we'd checked in online prior to our arrival, we were able to be taken straight to our room by club car. Our family suite consisted of two large bedrooms and a bathroom complete with separate shower cubicle. The fridge was stocked with 4 bottles of water (would have been a nice touch if this was replenished throughout our stay). We had a welcome plate of fruit and also a bottle of sparkling wine as we had let the hotel know in advance that we were celebrating our anniversary during our stay. The rooms were kept very clean throughout our stay, as were all areas of the complex; the staff clearly work incredibly hard to keep the BLV immaculate. We never heard a sound from any other guests whilst in our room, and had beautiful views of the Aegean from both rooms.

We were impressed by the huge swimming pools at the village. We spent most of our time by the Activity pool, as although our children can swim, they have only recently learned to do so, and this was the only pool shallow enough for them to stand up in. This was convenient for the Gelateria which serves delicious pancakes, waffles, ice-cream and cakes, as well as for the beach bar which serves savoury snacks too. The hotel policy of removing towels before 10am stopped the issue of ridiculous sunbed wars in the early hours of the morning, which was great, although it could be tricky to get a parasol during busy times. Although a busy area, the pool itself was never overcrowded. Had the other pools not been so deep, we'd have taken the children to them instead for a change, as there were always plenty of beds and parasols, particularly up at the leisure pool. Our children made use of the kids club a couple of times, so we relaxed by this pool and it was almost deserted which was lovely! We also used the waterpark at Adventureland a few times, which was great, and we never had any trouble getting a seat in this area as people tended to stay for a couple of hours then moved on. The weather was really hot, but the constant breeze cooled things off slightly and was pleasant, although the lifeguards are very safety conscious and do politely request that parasols are put down if the wind gets too strong. Pools are cold!!! It was lovely to get waiter service for drinks around the pool and staff worked hard to keep the areas clean and tidy. There are some activities available at the Activity pool although they were a little repetitive! With all these fantastic pools, it would have been great to see some more variety; having previously been to Holiday Villages, our children were hoping to be involved in raft building, snorkelling or zorbing, but pool-based activities were more limited at the BLV. The village does have some great facilities, including the multi-use sports area at Adventureland, but is so underused - both my husband and son would have loved to participate in football, but this is only available a couple of times a week with Puravida.

The food quality at the BLV was excellent and we looked forward to every meal. Breakfast in the main Aegean restaurant was lovely, with plenty of choice. For lunch, we used either the Italian or the Grill restaurant; although outside seating was available, we sat indoors for a little break from the heat. The pizzas in the Italian were lovely! A good range of hot options are available, and plenty of salads for a healthier choice, although this was soon cancelled out with the delicious desserts! We used the Aegean restaurant most evenings, and sitting outside was a nice experience. A huge variety was available each evening, and we soon learned to use all three buffet stations to make the most of the choice. Desserts were lovely, although sometimes the portions were a bit too generous! Waiter service for drinks was efficient and friendly, and the wine was better than we've had at other AI hotels. Tables were cleared quickly and despite the huge scale of the operation in this restaurant, there was always plenty of food, no queuing and cleanliness was clearly of huge importance to the staff. We thoroughly enjoyed every meal. However, this experience was topped by our visit to the a la carte Chinese restaurant, which was the best I've ever been to. The food was delicious, and beautifully presented. If you only book one of the a la carte restaurants, make this the one!

Entertainment is available around the main stage after 8pm. This consisted of the standard mini-disco/games for young children, and was followed up by a game show involving some of the adult members of the audience. The entertainment team then put on a show, which usually involved singing and dancing. Ok, this isn't slick professional entertainment, but these staff work incredibly hard, genuinely do their best and above all they look as though they are really enjoying themselves; it would just be nice to see a few more outside acts to add some variety. The waiter service was fast and friendly and I enjoyed sampling the cocktail menu each night. For more relaxed evening drinks, the shake n mix cocktail bar or the piazza are lovely.

Overall, we had a great holiday. A beautiful, modern hotel, spotlessly clean and in stunning surroundings. Although a large complex, with clearly many guests, we never felt that it was overly busy, despite having visited during the height of the summer season. Food was fantastic, pools are huge and well-supervised. Nice, clean beach with tons of sunloungers available. Generously proportioned rooms, no problems with noise! Great for a relaxing break in the sun. We do like to go somewhere different each year, so won't be going back, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the BLV to others.

Room Tip: We stayed in 4000 block - sea view, lovely and quiet yet well located for the main pools and beach...
10  Thank happyholidays2008Uk
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My wife and I (50s) visited first week of August. We have experienced 4/5 star A/I resorts in Sharm, Maldives other Greek islands etc. so have plenty to compare with.
The resort is well designed and very nicely maintained - grounds and buildings. The rooms, pools and communal areas are kept spotless by the hard working and friendly staff.

The food was of a good quality and there was always plenty of choice. There are several different places to eat and the "A La Carte" restaurants were very good. Our favourite was the "First Night" restaurant where they try hard to make it a very romantic setting - it worked. There are plenty of places to relax during the day, a large pool with loads of kids which looked ideal for families and a nice quieter pool which was used mainly for adults.
The entertainment was about what you would expect on holiday of this price.
We were very fortunate to be upgraded to a room with a "swim-up" pool, BUT.......

I could write reams about the many good things about the resort but would only be replicating what so many others have said. I will therefore just add our only two moans abut the place. Firstly, we were in a room where the Air Con would not work properly. We complained every day, sometimes twice a day and had several visits from the Maintenence Team and outside contractors from Kos Town. I even complained twice to the Thompson rep who made sympathetic noises but did nothing.
After 5 sleepless nights in very hot temperatures, we were eventually moved to a similar room and the Air Con was great. Very disappointed after paying that much money that the Customer Service in this respect was so poor.

The general staff really are excellent - I hope the management appreciate them and take a leaf out of thier book when people have a problem.

Room Tip: Ours was in 2 block - excellent.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikehoare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
#4 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!