Unfortunately this hotel is playing the numbers game. It's also a case of one mans meat is another's poison.
We had asked for a quiet room. We were given a room in 6000 facing the activity pool on the highest level. It was great until we realised that activity pool meant Butlins type games from 11 everyday especially around 2 - 3 pm when we want to take a siesta. We also had noise from the rehearsal of the night show then the night shows until 11, although we tend to stay up late (if we have a siesta!!). Asked to move but soon realised that if we did it meant the kids had to share a sofa bed. The other offer was a room literally across from ours facing away from the activity pool but would still have had the noise! Its worth noting the hotel place a big premium on family rooms in 4000 block which is away from the noise of my fellow country people as they go about their strange activities of throwing bean bags and playing water polo in the heat of the day. I was also saddened to see a lot of children suffering sun burn around said pool -please mums and dads there is no need!!! Kids club is 1 - 3 so completely useless if you want to get the kids into a Mediterranean lifestyle and sleep in the afternoon to stay up late at night.
More specific we are a family who unfortunately have several food allergies. We alerted the hotel 2 weeks before. We sat down with guest relations on arrival, we even went to the trouble of translation in Greek in case they didn't quite understand. Result nothing except a trip around the first dinner and breakfast to show us what we could and couldn't have several of which we then pointed out actually it was not suitable. In most cases they didn't even know what was in the food, their excuse being we buy it in. Worse after my son fell ill we discovered that a theoretical safe food was actually not. My wife actually had to become guinea pig as she has the same allergies to try and find something to eat.
In honesty this is the worst place we have ever been in terms of assistance or understanding. In one case we went to the adventure BBQ for my sons 8th birthday. We had been the week before and they had been fairly helpful in getting plain meat. Second time round I went hoping for the same. I tried explaining to the waiter what we had on our first visit who then suggested I should go somewhere else as he was not prepared to offer us any help. This was after the hotel had kindly delivered a birthday cake to my son covered in strawberry sauce (one of his allergy foods!) was only on the 10th day did the hotel finally deliver a breakfast plate for my kid, who until then had been only eating fruit and a piece of bread for breakfast.
I can eat everything, for me Food quality in general is poor and way below standard that I would consider acceptable in any 4 or 5 star hotel; ingredients are cheap and flavour lacking. Bacon is processed ham slice with water and salt, FYI other hotels in blue lagoon on half board serve proper bacon or at least did in 2012. Puddings were a complete waste of time all show and no taste or difference. Also worth noting the later you go the more reduced the offering. They quickly run out of good stuff so if you want to eat late you are penalised. Also we often had to wait for a table outside and then cafeteria (it certainly was not a restaurant) was big so food was always cold by the time you got back to the table (after running the gauntlet of kids darting in your way and Guests deciding they don't queue like the rest of us.
Drink options were awful beer I have never tasted worse, hotel knows it because they like to show you the good stuff on every bar asking for 4 euro a small bottle. Wine was headache in a glass, spirits came from unknown and bottled / produced specifically for blue lagoon. The only branded we found was Pimms.
Final concern and it seems its a general was sun beds. As of first week July we quickly found that by 10am all sunbeds by the activity and beach pool were "reserved" by people. We talked to the lifeguards who like the hotel say its the guests but clearly many like us suddenly realised that we either had to plan our day around being by a pool for 9.30, be prepared to use the beach instead (ok but difficult with sea being hard to access for the kids) or as we finally did on day 9 simply "reserve" our own. I would however point out we took 2 unlike others who seemed to think that each one of their children need their own, many cases we saw sunbeds not being occupied for several hours. It is incredibly frustrating to feel that you have paid for a 5 star resort where you cannot truly relax into your own routine and freedom of choice is not an option. Its the hotels fault although their sign clearly shows 1. They are aware of the problem, 2. Know their is no solution, 3. Look to divert the true cause of the issue back at the guest who is simply trying to find their piece of hard earned rest. For me it sums up totally the theme and management philosophy of the place.
Soon as you walk in you are simply a room number and a statistic to keep a good rating. I spend a lot of time travelling for business around 50% I stay in all sorts of hotels across the world. So I'm not your typical once a year hotel guest. We as a family also like each other company and don't need others to entertain us. So if you simply want a Butlins english brash noisy with the ability to drink and eat rubbish for the duration with lots of queuing and want to get up to get your space by the pool and eat your dinner early then get booking!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Blue Lagoon Village is a newly built luxurious village style complex with 366 guestrooms. This all inclusive hotel is in direct contact with the sandy beach offering magnificent views. It is located only 10 km from the centre of Kefalos, near Paradise Beach one of the most beautiful beaches of Kos, only 5 km from the airport and 30 km from Kos town, the capital of the island. The Blue Lagoon Village offers a vast variety of facilities like the Aegean Main restaurant with indoor and outdoor sections, the First Date restaurant with its romantic atmosphere (only for adults), the Thalassa Fish tavern, the Susshimi sushi restaurant and the Golden Sun Chinese restaurant offering you different tastes from all over the world. The Grill House is offering traditional Greek dishes, the Piazza Italian Restaurant is for traditional Italian meals, the Adventure Barbecue, where for grilling your own combination of different meats and finally the Gelateria where you can enjoy pancakes, waffles, sweets and ice-cream.You will have a hard job choosing where to have your drink: at the Shake & Mix Cocktail bar any time of the day, the Wet Pool bar, an impressive swim-up bar, at the Pool bar, at the Piazza Cocktail bar in the afternoon or at the Beach and Snack bar during the day. Our guests from all over the world will have the choice of a 3000 sq meters swimming pool with Jacuzzi and water jets, a 1000 sq meters activity pool with a section for children, a children’s splash pool, a 1000 sq meters leisure Pool and an “Adults-Only” pool area. There is also the choice of the long, sandy beach with a variety of water sports. For children and adults, that still feel like children, we recommend the Adventure Land with ropes course, waterslides and water games.The fully equipped Vida Fit health club with its’ heated pools, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam bath is available to all our guests over 16 years of age. For those who wish to pamper themselves, the PURArelax Spa offers a wide range of treatments. For a unique shopping experience visit our various shops, ranging from a minimarket and a liquor shop to boutiques and gift shops.In order to provide the best possible accommodation to all of our valuable guests, we have created standard rooms with sea view and swim up pool (also in the “Adults-Only” area), family rooms as well as Junior suites and Executive suites with private pools. All rooms are provided with satellite TV, mini-fridge, and coffee/tea making facilities, internet access, telephone, safety deposit box free of charge, individual air conditioning units, hairdryer and amenities. The Blue Lagoon Village in total harmony with the picturesque landscape, open from May to October, provides comfort and warm hospitality that attracts tourists from all over the world. The abundance of natural beauties and the crystal clear waters make the hotel a paradise of tranquility, ideal for families and couples. For those who wish to enjoy all these and more Blue Lagoon Village is the answer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Travel Republic (UK) and Cancelon so you can book your Blue Lagoon Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Village Hotel Kefalos
- Blue Lagoon Village Kefalos, Kos