“ good overall”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
london
“ good overall”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Spent a week in the blue lagoon village in october and i must say it was one of the nicest resort we've been to.

The good:

Great service and friendly staff
Food was pretty good
Cleanest resort i've seen
Lovely atmosphere
Great rooms
15minutes transfer to the resort

The not so good:

Pools are definitely on the cold side, didnt see many people in them
In october!
Indoor pool is for over 16's only
Paying for extras such as wifi, iced tea, cocktails etc...
Evening entertainment was ok but sooo repetitive and and as you would expect very cheesy

The ugly:

Adventure land waterpark is a joke
It is isolated from the rest of the resort and we went there once and didnt bother again, very windy and definitely not welcoming.

Kos airport!! We had to queue outside! And it is extremely dirty

If it wasnt for the waterpark and the airport we would probably go back, i would definitely not pay top dollar in high season for it though

Stayed October 2013
3 Thank baboushka24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Everything was great from the coach to the hotel to the return journey, I won't include Kos airport as this place is terrible, very lucky to find somewhere to sit for 2 hours unlike some many who were sitting on floors, needs a vast improvement, maybe turning the one main shop 'Victoria's Secret' into a seated waiting area.

Anyhow we arrived at BLV and I jumped off the coach I didn't want to be waiting around in reception checking in. Thankfully I had filled in the online check in and so the process was done in minutes and away we went to our room. We had a booked a double family room as our boys are 12 & 3 and preferred separate beds. Arrived by golf buggy with 'Boris' and shown to our room, being dark we had no idea really where we were on resort, only to open the patio doors an discover we had been given a swim up suite (room 1616)......absolute bonus for us and made the holiday, looking into the pool we saw about 10 inflatables and so knew there were kids in the other rooms. They had very kindly given my eldest a double sofa bed and the youngest a single sofa bed with two guard rails as requested in the living room, leaving me and my husband with a spacious bedroom. I had originally asked for this room but was told there was none available for the two beds in living room.
So the holiday started at 9.30pm down to the restaurant for food, there wasn't much available but enough to fill the gap, then a wonder around to the entertainment which the boys really like.
Our holiday for the first time ever consisted of games, swimming, eating etc etc we didn't leave the resort, this was a first for us but we didn't feel the need.
We were located by the quite pool which was lovely for us as walking to the activity pool we quickly realised that wasn't for us, far to hectic and would have had no chance of keeping an eye on the 3 year old! so we stayed mainly in the quiet area and swim up pool. We met many wonderful people along the row and swim ups, watched people come and go and everyone was very friendly.
The people at the swim up bar were fantastic, very friendly people, couldn't do enough for you, and with added waiter service by the swim up and around the quiet pool it was wonderful.

Now for the hotel itself.

I'm pretty fussy but I found something each night and so did my husband and boys. Italian restaurant we wasn't really impressed , food wasn't great at all. Now the Chinese was wonderful and we dined there twice during our stay of 11 nights, the menu is a little limited however you can choose as many dishes as you like, so by the 2nd visit we had eaten all off the menu, lovely staff also. Make sure on the day you arrive you make your reservations for restaurants they get booked up quick. Thankfully when we booked there was much of a queue but at times it was extremely long. To be honest it would be far easier to have a machine where you swipe your room card and could make reservations from instead of having to sit and wait for the lady at the desk!

Entertainment
My youngest went into kids club several times, this was his first time in a kids club and he loved it. The evening entertainment wasn't for everyone but for us and the children it was lovely, funny, entertaining and they all work very hard.

Pools
The pools are chilly even in August, but after a minute or so very very refreshing, I couldn't go at any other time of the year as they would be far to cold! The waterpark is a quick buggy ride along the path or a 5 minute walk along the beach, its very windy down there and most people didn't seem to last longer than an hour, but it was a nice hour away from it all. Towels can be collected from two places, first is near the Italian restaurant and second is from the desk at the indoor pool. The indoor pool is lovely, rarely did we see anyone was great for a quiet swim.

Gym
My husband went to the gym and also one of their classes. He said it was extremely hot inside, and felt that no air con was on, he couldn't stay for to long for this reason. The classes were taught by a german lady who decided to mostly talk in German and so he had very little idea of what he was supposed to be doing at his first spinning class.

Whilst there we also did Parasending, again lovely people and would highly recommend a visit to them on the beach.

The high ropes was great, I did this with my eldest boy and we completed all levels, make sure if you do this to book for around 4pm when it gets cooler.

I went to the spa after seeing a leaflet for a special offer and was so glad I did from booking to the treatment it was amazing, the best full body massage ive ever had. You must make a visit to here. You can pay cash or have the service charged to your room.

Not so good!

Whilst there a maid stole two handbags from a neighbour and returned one bag saying she was going to throw it into the bin......PLEASE PLEASE use the safe where possible to hide any valuables.

We talked to many families who had been given the wrong rooms, most downgraded and majority of them were havin to move rooms mid holiday to the room they had paid for. The hotel had stated they were over booked, but when you pay thousands for a five star hotel, this should not be happening.

We paid £5k for this holiday, and yes it was lovely and relaxing and enjoyed by all but did I believe we had my monies worth....not really it is very expensive for an isolated resort. We won't be returning for two reasons, firstly ive never returned anywhere twice as it's just not that special and makes us want to go back and secondly as my son is 13 next year they (Thomsons) want us to pay for him as an adult, an extra £1500 and wont allow us the spacious swim up suite as this doesn't allow 3 adults and 1 child, and they loved the swim up. He doesn't get anything extra for this money and isn't allowed to use the adult facilities.

There is very little for teenagers to do, there is a very large room underneath the entertainment which could be better used, they have the odd computer game, pool table and computers for internet, although only 1 worked out of 8 or so.

All in all a good holiday :)

Room Tip: Take your own inflatables, and use the air line at the back of the shop, will save you a lot of euro...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Marie C
Tamworth
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We spent a wonderful 2 weeks at the Blue Lagoon Village. We travelled as a family of 4 ( 2 adults and kids age 8 & 4). We stayed in a standard room with sea view in block 7000. This was close to everything and we had a good view of the theatre if we wanted to watch the shows from our balcony. The rooms were good with comfy beds but not really enough storage for a family of four for a fortnight. I would go for a family room if we returned.
The things we liked;
Lovely, friendly, helpful staff members - in particular Bogdan, Vasko, Tsveta & Jovanka in the bars, Eduard & George in the Gelateria, Stella in the beach snack bar and Maria in the Italian restaurant. The restaurant managers don't seen to smile much though!
Kids clubs were fantastic. Our children were in different sessions which they attended some days but there was a drop in session for 2 hours a day, 6 days a week that they could attend together. The kids club reps were superb - Disco Dani, Robo Rob and the rest of the Thomson kids club staff- you made our kids holiday special - THANK YOU!
The food is good. I can't understand why anyone would complain. There is so much variation in the buffets(breakfast, lunch and dinner) that you don't have to have the same meal twice in 2 weeks. It's all quality stuff too - some of the best beef dishes I have ever had. In addition to the Aegean buffet we also tried the Italian, Chinese, First Date & BBQ restaurants. We enjoyed them all but the Chinese was by far our favourite - We recommend the Mongolian beef! Kids don't really like Chinese food so they made chicken nuggets specially for them!
Good choice of drinks, really enjoyed the cocktails - ask for a list as they only advertised the chargeable specials! Beer was OK. Kids loved the all inclusive kids cocktails & slush puppies.
Gelateria is great - waffles, pancakes, ice creams & slush puppies. Missing the waffles already!
Beach snack bar is great too - savoury crepes, toasties & hot dogs.
The entertainment team are superb. Davey B & Natalia you are fantastic and along with the kids club reps you made our holiday a great one!
The things we didn't like ;
The pools were really cold. I didn't go in any of them during the 2 weeks I was there. The kids didn't seem to care but their lips were blue when they got out some days! The indoor pool is heated but it would be nice to get a least one of the outdoor pools heated.
There are no English channels on the TV apart from a couple of European new channels. There should be at least a kids TV channel in English!
There needs to be some form of snack bar at the waterpark. There are only sandwiches available. You could spend a whole day there if there was somewhere to eat but we didn't bother to go there after the first few days as it was easier to stay by the activity pool.
There is nowhere to eat after 10pm. A snack bar at the theatre would be a great idea - chips, hot dogs etc
Would we return ? Yes if they get a pool heated!
You can easily spend 2 weeks here without getting bored.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JoPeteF
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Family of four (wife, myself, son aged 8 and daughter aged 5) holidayed at the Blue Lagoon Village with a family we are friends with (whom also have a son aged 8 and daughter aged 5) from 12th to 19th October. Kids have been friends since aged one through nursery and all play great together - girls and boys interchange whom they play with, so recipe for great holiday.

This review is in my normal war and peace style but I've split it into the areas which are important to us, which will hopefully help readers quickly find items of interest.

All in all, we actually had a good time but that was more to do with the friends we were with than anything else. Don't get me wrong, it has the potential to be great resort if it was well run, but it missed the mark for us. Sensatori Crete wins hand down when compared to this place.

Resort General
It is remote, but is lovely. Breath-taking view on the way in, especially at night when it's lit up (as it was when we arrived. Spotlessly clean - it is the cleanest hotel we've been to either at home or abroad.

Suggest talking a walk around the whole resort on your first day or you may miss something, for example, we didn't do this until our 3rd day so weren't aware there was a play park near the reception.

Many of the swim up rooms, share what is effectively a private pool, separate from the main pool areas.

Accommodation
Lovely, well proportioned rooms and also spot-less, We were in room 5104, which is a double family room (2 bedrooms) and is very close to everything (Reception, all the restaurants, the kids pool, beach snack bar, evening entertainment) except Adventure Land, but then nothing is close to Adventure Land.

Ample storage (large safety deposit box in wardrobe) and lovely bathroom - bath with flexi-hose shower over it, separate double shower with watering can head and flexi-hose shower head, vanity unit style sink with large mirror - all looks the part.

Bed's are all memory foam and comfy.

The room is supposed to be a sea view - whilst I admit you could see the sea looking over the road, wall and junior suite with private pool opposite, it's not what I have experienced of a sea view at other hotels anywhere I've travelled.

Flat screen LG TV in both bedrooms, with and HDMI and USB port. The TV channels were poor - 2 English speaking channels (BBC World News and Sky News). Tip - take an HDMI lead and connect your phone, tablet or I-Pad up to the TV to get something decent. I know you don't go on holiday to watch TV but when you have young kids and go back to your room early, you need something to keep you entertained.

Serious issue on day 1 of the holiday. My wife was first to use the shower in the morning and when she turned on the shower, the flexi-hose shower head jumped our the holder and whacked her on the eyebrow above her left eye cutting it, causing it bruise and leaving her with a splitting headache for 3 days. To be fair, she is s woos but it really was a sore one - more to come about that under service!

Pools
All look the part. Adventure Land is long way away and not feasible for us to walk as my son also has joint problems which means he suffers pain walking long distances. You can get a buggy but on certain days, they are few and far between.

No food of any substance is served at Adventure Land so you have to go back to the main hotel, or beach bar to get lunch. Far from ideal.

Also at Adventure Land, the lazy river looks great in the pictures on the web-site and the Thomson's brochure - this is misleading to say the least. It shows about 16 double-ring inflatable for use - utter nonsense, the were 4 (yes 4) single ring inflatables. Even though it was quiet, this wasn't even enough for our party!

Other thing to note at Adventure Land is that there are age and height restrictions for all the slides. The larger slides, for example are supposed to be for over 10's but the life guards enforce a strict policy based on height. My 8 year old passed by a couple if inches to spare and, even though he's a poor swimmer, was allowed to go on. Our friends 8 year old didn't pass the height test so could go on and he's a very strong swimmer - didn't seem right or fair but just one to be aware of.

My son picked up and eye infection on day 2, which could only have come from the kids pool.

Also, the slightest bit of wind and the staff bar you from putting up the umbrella's!

Beach
Mixture of sand, stoney shingley stuff and then under the water line there were what I can best describe as flat, slippery rocks and watch out for the spikey seaweed stuff on the beach - that can give you a nasty sting and leaves spikes in your foot.

Kids have to be very, very careful on this stuff - suggest going in the sea no higher than knee high and even so, we had 2 minor injuries in our party. Aqua shoes really are a must for the kids.

We, the 2 male adults in our party, ventured out to do some snorkelling. There is a very large drop off at the end of the rocks, it's probably about 3 feet or so but you go from being waste to chest high I water to being fully submerged in one step - a definite no, no for kids.

Strongly recommend hiring the beach gazebo's. They cost 25 Euro's a day but are great - decked out with comfy loungers, table and chairs with regular waiter service. We used this as our base every day, setting up camp there and pottering about between the beach, the pools and Adventure Land.

The walk to Adventure Land is more direct and noticeably shorter along the beach that it is through the resort.

We only ate in the Aegean for breakfast and dinner and either the Beach Snack Bar or the Italian for lunch.

The Aegean breakfast was the same every day - breads, croissant's, cereal's, eggs, bacon etc. Dinner at the Aegean was also pretty much the same every night with variations on a theme, i.e. it always had a red meat dish, a chicken dish, pizza, pasta, rice and a chicken kebab type dish (at least I think it was chicken). Not all dishes are labelled and there were a few time I asked the staff what a dish was but, when I tried it, it wasn't what they said it was - not ideal for people with food allergies!

Incredibly, they only had chips on one night in the Aegean restaurant during our whole stay, which meant we really struggled to get the kids to eat. They didn't like any of the food but chips are normally a banker, so there were a few nights we could only get them to eat bread and butter.

Everybody steered clear of the meat dishes except for my friend, who was eating chicken in the main. It proved to be his downfall - he was sick overnight on the last night, all day the last day, bus to the airport and at the airport. It really had to be the chicken.

Now get this - the resort ran out of butter and spread for 3 days. 3 whole days - how can you have a continental breakfast with no spread? This is a 5 start resort remember!

Italian lunch was the same every day - pasta and pizza but they almost always had chips!

Soft drinks were drinkable, the wine was actually OK as was the beer (or lager to you and me) but I suspect this was either watered down or of the low alcohol variety! I'm not a drinker and back home, I'm drunk on 3 pints. I had a lot more than that on an evening in the Blue Lagoon Village and was never the slightest bit tipsy!

Entertainment
This was good. We didn't go every night but when we did go it was always good. Kids stuff from around 8pm to 9pm and then the grown-up's show which the kids liked too.

Favourite show was the reps and entertainment staff's show on the last night. Special mention for Dave from the entertainment staff - that boy works his socks off all day and night. He could easily be in the dance act if he wanted to.

This is where we felt the resort was let down. Kind of started badly when we arrived - we were first off the bus and handed the check-in form by a member of staff, who directed us to the seated area at reception to fill it in - everybody else was directed straight to the reception by the same member of staff. They were all checked in and off to their rooms, whilst we were still filling in the form - turns out, you only need to provide basic information and not the whole form.

Already mentioned on the first day that my wife sustained an injury in the shower. When she reported it to reception, they tried to fob her off but she insisted the complete an incident form, mainly in case the cut became infected and she had to get medical treatment. They didn't have a form at the time she reported so she had to return later to complete it. The said then that maintenance had been round and fixed the problem, which was utter tosh as I ended up fixing it the following morning - the rubber washer around the base of the shower head had slipped down around the hose and the holder was up-side down, which meant that the shower head didn't sit right in the holder and, when turned on, the water pressure was sufficient to unseat it.

Now, the customer relations lady said the manager would be shown the incident form that day, he would have to sign off on it and a copy would then be passed to my wife. This didn't happen until she insisted that she be given a copy of the incident form before we left. The customer relations lady said it would be sent to our room before we checked out at 6pm - that didn't happen either. She didn't manage to get it until just before we stepped on the bus to go back to the airport.

When my wife mentioned the shower incident to the rep at our welcome meeting, she just said "that's shame" - to be honest, I expected more.

Next thing was the kids club, they are split in age groups 3 to 5, 6 to 8 and 9 to 12. Our kids span the 3 to 5 and 6 to 8 age groups, and there was no chance they would go in if they were being split up. This is always the case but on previous Thomson's and First Choice holiday's, they've allowed them to go in the older age group. We loosely approached the subject at the welcome meeting, at which we were told they wouldn't let younger kids go up the way. However, we somehow managed to mistakenly put the two younger kids ages down wrong on the registration form, which meant they would be in the 6 to 8 age group but, unbelievably, the reps checked their ages with reception and refused them entry on the ground of health and safety - that would be the same health and safety the demonstrated such concern for when my wife injured her eye!

Kids were extremely disappointed and all except one of the four of them wouldn't go in to any of the kids club sessions.

They did however go to the chocolate party on the 2nd night as this had no age restrictions. Even so, the rep wasn't keen to let my son into this when I said I had to return later to put in anti-biotic eye cream for his eye infection. She was concerned it was contagious and would be spread to other children. Yeah very good, he got it from the pool - I didn't see them refusing kids entry to that!

The butter situation - when I discussed this initially with the customer relation's lady, she told me I should have gone for breakfast earlier. Oh right so it's my fault then! She did speak to the catering staff after I persisted and she came off the phone to say that it was the first she had been made aware of it but the supplier had let them down. Further she said it had NEVER happened before.

On day 3 without butter, we spoke to one of the Thomson's rep's, who said that they're always running out of basics in Greece, butter, bread, cola etc. My wife challenged this as we've been to Greece several times and never experienced that, to which the rep said "well it happens on the Greek islands", to which my wife retorted that we've been to several Greek islands and never experienced that, to which the rep replied "well it happens in Kos". Hardly and good advert for Kos or this 5 star resort.

Next issue my wife had was with a member of staff in the Aegean restaurant at breakfast. Having not learned our lesson of breakfasting late, we went down at around 10:15. I was straggling a bit behind the wife and kids and just heard her arguing with the member of staff from a distance - the chap was waving his arms about in a fairly aggressive manner. She then stormed off through to the Greek side of the restaurant where I caught up with her - she wouldn't tell me what happened over breakfast, probably for fear that I would go after the guy. What had happened was that when she went to sit down near the first buffet station, the member of staff told her that station was closed, she then moved to the next buffet station when the guy ran over and shouted at her "I told you, this area is closed", she set him straight that that wasn't what he had said, which is when he started waving his arms around. Now, my wife's looks can kill and 10 yards, trust me the guy's lucky he only got a minor tongue lashing. I have never been is a so called 5 star resort where staff see it fit to speak to guest's in that way - completely unacceptable behaviour.

Last thing on this front is provision of services - they pick and chose when they'll let you have certain items. For example, depending on the member of staff, they wouldn't let my eldest have a slush before 12:30 or after around 22:00. No idea why, expect they just couldn't be bothered. Another is that the Aegean is supposed to be open for dinner from 18:00, some evening's it didn't open until 18:30. Not a big deal but not what the advertise.

Kos airport
Absolutely horrible place. Small, dingy, smelly and security leaves an awful lot to be desired - I won't say any more on that front for obvious reasons.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank steve-l-edin
Marseille, France
Reviewed 26 October 2013

nice big rooms with amazing views of the sparkling sea, good food -with a special mention for the Chinese place, just great, nice animation. What more do you want? the people who criticize did not do their homework: sure, the tv is mostly German... because sadly the Germans are the only ones in Europe with a big satellite broadcast. the French ones don't do it, neither the British. So, you get 2 BBC channels as annoying as a rainy day, TV5 Europe in French (not much better), a couple Italian ones and a scatter of international tv, Polish, Russian, Greek, Spanish, etc... Well, the hotel cannot create tv channels to please guests, alas!
The resort is huge, with lots of stairways, and lots of golf carts you call from your room or from any bar or restaurant to pick you up and drop you off - so, you only use the stairs if you want to! As to wifi, they have free wired internet in all the rooms, you just need a cable they will lend you if you forgot yours where is the difference? you don't really want your tablet by the pool, do you?
And of course, like in all the all in, you are in your own little world, and you won't see much of Greece unless you book a car or an ATV. Kos is the perfect spot for a quad, only 45 kms long and 15 wide, you can easily tour it in a day, from Kefalos at the southwest to Kos, north east, without forgetting Gia, the highest point with nice tavernas.
Plenty of different rooms, some with jacuzzis, some with a private small pool, suites if you wish, etc.
The service is quick and efficient, always with a smile.
We enjoyed the two weeks there and most people seemed to be sad to leave. That is the best compliment for a holiday resort!

Room Tip: pick up the cheapest and if you don't get a good one, upgraade at the hotel. It seems to be chea...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Anne M
Borders, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We arrived at this hotel on recommendation and first impressions were good, fast efficient check in and taken to our rooms which were spacious, clean and had a fabulous view. Very comfortable beds.
The food was good, and the Chinese restuarant deserves a particular mention.
All staff and waiters, in particular Zoran, provide excellent service. The hotel and grounds are immaculately clean.
Entertainment was very good - hard work put in by Natalia and Dave - well done!
Overall a pleasant stay and well worth recommendation.
Only downside - location - no real places to walk beach difficult on the feet.

Room Tip: rooms in block 7000 have great views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 18 October 2013

this was our second time in this hotel. The first time last year,was perfect.We asked for specific rooms ( not far away at 1000/2000 area) and didn't get them. The hotel has a lot of stairs and it is very big - a problem with small kids. We felt it was not the same service as last year.It felt like the hotel is very populer so they don't go that extra mile as they used to. For example, you have to take a small car to the water park since it is 800 meters away. In one week we had a car only once and every time we got a different answer - today a lot are leaving; today a lot of arrivels, you wait and call and no one comes!!! This hotel has great facilities, fantastic beach and great rooms but the attitude had changed.
We will not return again

Room Tip: not close to the theatre but close to the pools, 6000 7000 are the best
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lib0ss11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kefalos
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel

Been to Blue Lagoon Village? Share your experiences!