“rudeness of the staff”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Kefalos
Bedford, United Kingdom
“rudeness of the staff”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I agree with the previous review posted. I got back home today, although I cannot fault the cleanness of my room, the staff were so miserable. I am not sure I ever saw one smile. The grumpy old man that people have described was more than grumpy he was rude. I walked past him on the stairs smiled and said good morning-nothing not even an acknowledgment. Yesterday afternoon I was the one and only person at one point in the pool area. I had lunch once, food was okay but the attitude and service of the staff made me take my money down to one of the sea front tavernas every day after that. If you want a very quiet hotel where that staff are miserable and nothing goes on - book here. They told me on Monday that I would be able to keep my room on the day I was leaving right up until my bus arrived at 10.30pm - I thought great can almost have another day and have a shower before travelling home.I was surprised and grateful! They said no was going to be needing my room as they were not fully booked. This was short lived next morning at breakfast I was told I could keep it but it would cost me 25 Euros. Breakfast was three slices of dry bread, marg and jam and if you got lucky and they could be bothered you were offered two slices of cheese and some ham. Such a shame lovely hotel good location but the staff need to get some personality. I don't normally write reviews but I feel that we all work so hard to go on holiday and the last thing I wanted was to surrounded by grumpy greeks! Also no TV in room - perhaps of been nice to be able to at least see world news. The family did sit in the main bar area every morning and evening.I never saw guests in the bar in the evening.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 469vanessa

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We have been to Kefalos 3 times and twice have stayed at Hotel Athinoula. It was lovely to meet all the family again, and everything was just as I remembered. We had no complaints, in fact, they put themselves out for us. The BBQ was excellent value where we had an opportunity to meet other guests. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline G
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just to put some perspective on the last review. Greek tax laws are very very strict and if they get caught with people who have food/drinks and do not have a receipt, they get fined a lot of money, this is why you would have received that sort of response - Zak does not speak great English and therefore comes over the way he does but he really is a nice guy.

This is a constant problem for all Greek islands where people do not understand this legal rule - it's very serious if they are caught so they do not tolerate it very well. You can take drinks to your room but not the pool or bar area

you need to understand this before you go to any greek island and then this scenario can be avoided. What a pity it spoiled your holiday. Cant wait to go again, it's becoming a second home now!!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but all rooms on third floor have metal shutters so you get total blackout for a...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank geniusfthelamps
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2012

This was my 2nd visit to the Athinoula.... i stayed here not too long ago and found the hotel incredibly friendly and welcoming that i decided to pay another visit for this years holiday...
i was incredibly exited to come back but was rather troubled by our late night/early morning check in ,in the dark with the elderly man in charge... he does not speak to you but in fact grunts and stares... ( i had actually encountered him in my first visit but very briefly) unfortunately this time around the members of the family who i had been treat so well by before were no where to be seen... the elderly gentlman is very abrupt. So we checked in and got a couple of cokes and left the elderly gentleman with a generous tip and off to our room we went.
The next day my fiance and i went to walk along the beach and we got a can of coke on the beach as it was hot. we walked back to the hotel, my fiance with an empty can and me with a little left in mine and i suggested we sit in the hotel lounge for a while to relax. We hadnt even gotten the whole way into the lounge when the elderly gentleman came over and started shouting at us... we are not used to this behaviour and were both frozen in shock at how rude he was being to his paying guests.... he said we could not have drinks in his bar which were purchased outside... my partner replied with "sorry, we had just strolled along the beach and hadnt quite finished them" the old man yelled " well then stay on the beach" and started ranting in greek and walked away, needless to say we felt ridiculed and belittled and like naughty school children and it completely spoiled what had been a lovely first day.
After this we of course avoided the hotel like a plague unless to sleep... we never spent another penny in the hotel out of pride.
The hotel can not be faulted for its location.... right on the beach (only across a road) and on the main strip where all the restaurants and bars are.... the pool is clean and large....the rooms are clean and kept fairly modern. All in all i am a little sad that the place i made out to be soooo friendly turned out to be in fact just the opposite... its a shame.... and unfortunately i think the elderly gentleman in question (whom there are a few nagative comments on here, other than mine) really ought to leave it to the younger members of the family who are more welcoming and less likely to shout at you like a naughty child.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank AmyLL11

Travellers are raving about these Kefalos hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Ok, so my friend and I had booked a low cost, budget sunshine holiday at last minute. This was the accommodation included for about £50 bed and breakfast each (the flights were the expensive bit). With no previous experience of Greece we didn't expect a great deal, but found the place to be spotlessly clean, run by a charming family who couldn't do enough for us. Aircon was an extra 5 euro a day and there is no way we could have gone without it. We woke to a stunning view over the pool to the coast line and sea close by. My friend, big into swimming declared the pool the perfect size for her to get some lengths in while I sat on one of the sun loungers and dipped my foot in occasionally. The hotel has a poolside cafe which does good,very reasonably priced food and we were so well looked after, we didn't actually move away from the hotel much in the first few days. The rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels except sun and we were allowed to keep our room late for a small fee on the last day as we weren't flying until the evening. We didn't experience any of the negative comments reflected below. We were made to feel very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. It's true, you get what you pay for, but in this case, I feel it should have cost far more! The hotel itself is easy walking distance from the beach and numerous restaurants. We even took part in the local BBQ and quiz night which was good fun, even though we were a bit younger than most of the others.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Clean, basic rooms, older gentleman who is owner is vey scary and unwelcoming, just grunts at you. His daughter is very friendly though. You can not bring any water or soft drinks into hotel from outside and they will stop you if they see this. Breakfast is 2 pieces of ham, cheese and bread and you can have 1 cup coffee, if you want juice as well that is extra, infact everything else is extra. As I was not flying until late evening I asked to pay to keep my room for few hours, they wanted to charge me Euro25 but as I only paid 18 per night I decided not to as to exensive. I then left my suitcase in a freinds room - next thing as I was sat by the pool the older gentleman came and demanded I took it out as this was not allowed! I asked was it that I had not paid the Euro25 and he started shouting at me in front of everyone. I was travelling on my own, this was both upsetting and threatening. He then frog marched me to the room and removed the suitecase, leaving it at the front of the hotel - perhaps this is local custom, I dont know, but very rude and unwelcoming. I tried to reason in calm way but he just wanted to rant about it being this way for 12 years - not for me and not the warm family environment indicated by some reviews.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Diane2309
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed in Athinoula in June with my sister. Although the rooms are basic, it is definitely the cleanest hotel in the resort. The maid cleaned our room every day! The owner was very helpful and friendly, so cannot say a bad thing about the place. The Paradise beach is 2min away, 2 shops just around the corner and plenty of nice restaurants just a stroll away. Bare in mind though, that it is not a very busy resort, but it does have decent amount of bars and restaurants and there are a few trips you can take - I would recommend a trip to Nissyros island to see the volcanoes and the monastery - really worth it! So if you are looking for a relaxing holidays, with beautiful scenery - this is it ;-)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends