“Small, quiet and lovely. Not for rowdy, party animals or fussy eaters”

and 1 more site!
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I loved Don Lino. I was there from April 15 - 22, 2014 and had the best vacation ever. It was exactly the right size and environment, just what I had hoped form and expected after reading all the reviews. Small, quaint, comfortable. If you're looking for luxury, pampering and all the comforts of home then skip Don Lino and head to a 5 star instead. If you're looking for lovely staff, clean rooms and a relaxing holiday then Don Lino will not disappoint.

There isn't a Bank to convert your money at Don Lino so be sure to go to Bank located in the Departures terminal of the airport before heading to the resort. Be sure to take enough money so that you can take a taxi (15 - 20 CUC) into Santa Lucia for a meal at El Tulipa one evening. The food is excellent. Entrees range from between 12 - 17 CUC. You need a reservation, which the front desk staff at Don Lino should be able to help with.

The property is well laid out and easy to get around. The pool is small and could be bigger and/or deeper but still very lovely and clean (except for on the very, very rare occasions...read further). I laid by the pool and read my book every day. Some days it was tough to get a lounger, because people would save them and then wander off but most of the time it wasn't a problem.

The first part of my week there I met a lot of lovely people and it was great to meet guests that were Cuban too. They were all so friendly and kind. The second part of the week was slightly different. A new group of Cuban guests arrived and they were very different from the first group. This second group took over and made quite a mess in and out of the pool. Food and drink everywhere, cigarette butts and garbage strewn about, even in the pool. It was a poor representation of Cubans because everyone else I ever met was not like these people. It was heartbreaking to the poor manners and destruction because the staff at Don Lino work so very hard to keep things nice. Omar, who takes care of the pool, takes great pride in caring for it, so seeing it disrespected in such a vulgar manner was upsetting. He worked very hard every day and always made sure people were comfortable and had what they needed. Be sure to say hi to him and help him practice his English, which is good but could be better. :)

I didn't go on any excursions or participate in any entertainment/activities, though the staff were wonderful. Dani and Manuel are wonderful. Manuel's English is perfect and he is always willing to help answer your questions. I did go into Santa Lucia on two occasions, having a beautiful meal at El Tulipa and enjoying a local "cantina" (patio bar). Those were definitely highlights of my holiday.

The food at Don Lino was ok, some days it was better than others. There was not a lot of variety, and often the food was "recycled", for example, if it was served at breakfast, you likely saw it incorporated into lunch, etc. So if this is your first time south, you will probably be disappointed. To be honest, for me, I eat less in warmer climates so it didn't make much difference to me. There was always a few things I could eat (and I have food allergies to worry about) but if I didn't fancy what was offered at the buffet, I would just get a grilled ham and cheese sandwich from the snack bar later. It was always delicious. Saying all of that breakfast was always delicious and the only thing I can really say is I missed butter! They only had a mayo available for your toast. If you are a snacker, take snacks or buy them at the shop in reception.

Things everyone should know:
- bring toilet paper, it is often not available in the public washrooms.
- If you lose your beach towel the cost is $20 to replace it.
- the new 2-story bungalows are lovely but if you have noisy neighbours it makes your stay a little less enjoyable. Not all people are considerate. Sad but true.
- there will not be any bottled water in your room - you can buy that from the little shop in reception. And there won't be a bottle of rum either, as advertised by some tour operators. That was fine by me but other guests commented they were disappointed by this.
- take a really good bug repellant if you plan to spend time on the beach in the morning or evening. Some people had terrible reactions that got infected. So be sure to also take some sort of allergy meds, Benadryl and definitely some Afterbite and calamine lotion. You won't regret it. Better safe than sorryl
- if the snack bar has hours posted and it should be open but there is no one behind the counter, nip into the kitchen to find a chef.
- if you're a fussy eater though, you will just have to suck it up or stay home.

All in the all, the Don Lino ticked all the boxes for me. It was the friendly, unassuming staff that really made my vacation. Everyone was friendly but no one was pushy. By the end of the week the Don Lino felt like home and it was so nice to be greeted with warm smiles and friendly "holas!" wherever I went. I'm planning on returning in October or November for two weeks and I can't wait.

Room Tip: The 2 story wooden bungalows have bathtubs, fridges and safes.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank Tamara Q

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our SunWing flight, was an hour plus, delayed in Halifax, and longer than expected due to headwinds so we arrived much later than the 10:30 PM we had planned for. (On our return, the flight out was delayed over 2 hours, though the airport ETA/ETD TV annoyingly said it was "on time".)
We knew what to expect in Cuba, but even by 2.5 star expectations, the food was a big disappointment. Never saw ketchup until the final day, and then only at the beach bar/snack bar. Butter was also absent, with a jar of unrefrigerated mayo left next to the bread table. At least two meals had nothing I would eat, and I was in the Marines so I can eat most things called food. You want to get to the buffet early, as buffet-table refills seem to be a maybe/maybe not proposition. Our one trip, to the one ala carte restaurant was very disappointing. The vegetables were one of the worst tasting things I ever put into my mouth. Zucchini and tomatoes with onion was the content. Not sure how they made it taste as bad as it did.
The lobby staff were useless even by Cuban standards, with some not able to understand ANY English. They invariably gave bad or wrong information if you could get any info at all. The bar and wait staff were excellent and friendly any time I dealt with them, and I did often.
We took a trip by cab into the local town just to get off the resort. Pedro, who spoke excellent English was our guide while his uncle drove the bright yellow Lada anywhere we wanted to go for 20 Pesos return fare. We planned to go to a restaurant with him the following day but my wife came down with a cold so we had to cancel. A week later, I still have the cold, and most people on the return flight seemed to have it as well with much coughing and hacking. Like flying in a Petri dish.
So, we liked our room, after having to change from the first room, as the shower/tub had a drop of 1-2 inches when you stepped into it. I fell the first night and broke a rib when I caught the tub edge under my arm as I went down. The sides of the tub were VERY high too so older folks should be aware of this. We were in the "bungalows" which are newer, so not sure if the cottages are similar. All in all, I could barely have stayed at home for the cost of this all-inclusive trip, and I would go back on the price alone. I would just take a carry-on of non-perishable food with me. We met wonderful people, as the 2.5 star resorts garner a different crew than the 5 star resorts. Very little pomposity I found. Never ate alone, though I did sit without much food on occasion.

Room Tip: No noise issues, as the resort is quite remote from any traffic. If you want and ocean view second s...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank James T
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I did a lot of research on Don Lino and the surrounding area before I decided to book this resort. I perused about 100 of the latest reviews to get a general feel of what to expect and came to the consensus that it was a 2.5 star resort just as advertised. I had been to Blau Costa Verde which is only about 30 kms from Don Lino only 4 months prior so was acquainted with the general area of Playa Pesquero, Playa Esmeralda and Guardalavaca. I have been to Cuba well over a dozen times in the last 5 years and have been to resorts from Havana to Santiago so I have a general understanding of Cuban resorts and expectations. Don Lino had been on my radar as a possible resort destination for about two years now and quite frankly it was because of the awesome prices that were available from time to time. I paid $860 (all in) for two weeks, staying from April 8th through April 22nd. At this price I was not expecting to be pampered like I would have, had I been staying at PRDO (royal service) for 3-4 times the price. Flew out of Toronto via Sunwing on a packed plane that was over an hour late in departing and which also took a full four hours to arrive due to dodging some turbulence on the way. Airport security and luggage retrieval was quick. TIP --- I exited the arrivals terminal and entered the departure terminal so I could exchange Canadian currency for Cuban CUC. The exchange rate at the Cadeca was about 85 CUC for $100 Canadian. Don Lino does not have anywhere to exchange currency so doing this at the airport is a good idea. There are a few workers at the resort that may exchange money for you but you will pay a premium to do it if you can find them. TIP --- buying beer for your transfer to the resort is cheaper in the departures terminal than it is from the guy in the parking lot. Transfer from airport to resort was about 1 hour or ( 4 Cristal) and the time went quickly. Only 7 people were on the bus so check-in upon arrival at Don Lino only took minutes and a worker took luggage to room immediately. For the first two nights I stayed in room 11 which is part of the old section. The rooms are quaint but clean and acceptable. These older rooms do not have fridges and since I brought tons of food like kielbasa, cheese, chocolate bars and other food items that needed to be refrigerated a fridge was necessary. TIP --- Bring snacks. Inquired at the front desk if I could obtain a fridge, even if I had to pay, and was informed that only the new sections rooms had them. I next asked how much to upgrade to a new room and after crunching numbers on a calculator they came up with a price of $480 for the next two weeks. This was laughable as I could have upgraded when booking for about $60. Returned to the front desk the next day to discuss fridge dilemma again and new girl on desk upgraded me to new section for the rest of my stay at no extra charge. The old rooms are close to the pool/lobby/buffet/bar and the old rooms by the Sea have great views. The new rooms are nicer and have fridges, safes and a bathtub and nice balconies but as other have mentioned not very much sound-proofing. Fortunately I was not bothered by noisy neighbours probably because I was the noisiest and couldn’t hear them over my own music. The beach is fine and I did walk it barefoot several times but did have to watch my step. Do use footwear while swimming as there are rocks after entering the water. Several days the water did have waves but to me that made swimming all the more fun. The other days the water was calm and lots of families with kids were swimming. As others have already stated there is the option of going to Playa Blanca which is about 1 km away and can be accesses by walking either trails or on the road. There are also taxis and horse and carriages always right out front of the resort and the trip can be done for a few pesos. Playa Blanca beach is always calm and you can walk the beach or swim without water shoes. Pizza and beer can be purchased here but there are no chairs or palapas available. TIP --- bring your towel. A new restaurant (paladar) has opened on the road to Playa Blanca within the last two months. It is a safe 10 minute walk just down the road from Don Lino as soon as you turn right onto the road to Playa Blanca. The name of it is El Marlin Azul and I highly recommend it as the food and prices and ambience are great. Very close proximity to resort and a very nice change of pace for a good dinner, without paying for transportation. TIP --- bring a flashlight if returning after dark. This brings us to food at the resort. I will not go into great detail on this but will state some days/meals are better than others. You will not go hungry. I did not do the al a carte but this is booked through Adrian who is the food manager. I did talk with several guests who enjoyed it and apparently the lobster for an extra $10 pesos was delicious. Both bars did run out of ice on several occasions but this only latest an hour or two. The beach bar did run out of vodka once but restocked by the next day. TIP --- I bought vodka in Santa Lucia/Rafael Freyre (same town) that is 8km from Don Lino. Three pesos for a 26er!! I also bought cartons of real orange juice while there since the bars oj is more like Tang. You can get a taxi/horse & carriage into Rafael Freyre for $15 pesos return and they will wait for you while you shop/eat/drink. You can also rent nice new scooters to do this trip or others for $30 pesos for 24 hours. I took a scooter into a town called Fray Benito (about 20 kms) and had ice-cream (1 peso) from a vendor on the side of the road. Nice ride and scenery as well as a good dose of real Cuban life. Back to Rafael Freyre/Santa Lucia. Going to this town is a must for dinner. I went to El Tulipan twice for lunch/dinner and it was delicious. Had shrimp the first time (about 100 for 12 CUC) and had chicken cordon bleu the second time. The breaded chicken stuffed with ham and cheese was the best I have ever eaten in any country hands down. I also ate at EL Bambu which was also delicious and a must if you go into town several times. Drinking 1 peso Cristal and 1.25 peso Coronas with locals in one of the many outdoor bars was a pleasure and great experience. The city of Gibara is a one hour trip from Don Lino and is a fishing village on a bay. It is the second oldest city in all of Cuba and is a great place to visit and mingle. Fishermen were out in the bay catching shrimp and lobster floating on old inner-tubes from tires. There is a great lookout on top of the hill overlooking the city and bay with stairs (lots of them) leading all the way down to the water. I had lunch in Gibara at Las Terrazas. I ordered lobster (probably caught that morning) and it was very good and a very large portion that I could only eat half of. I gave the other half to my driver to take home. I also tried my drivers Marlin (something I have never tried) which was also excellent. The price of this excursion that took about 6 hours was 70 pesos. Manuel (part of the animation team) is the guy to see and he speaks perfect English and is knowledgeable about the areas around Holguin. Manuel also took me into Rafael Freyre for a new tattoo. I got a Cuban flag done (very nice) for 25 pesos. Being an “inked guy” already I can state the same tattoo in Canada would have cost $150-$200. Needles are brand new opened out of a package right in front of you so no need to worry. Even Manuel got a little ink added to his. The staff at Don Lino, are great, and all you need to do is ask if you need something. You do not have to tip to get good service. Nightly shows do not always happen at Don Lino but the show not to miss is the water-show on Friday nights. The first Friday they did the whole show to Queen Songs and I was in awe of it. The following Friday show was just as spectacular. A local band plays stage/beach bar/buffet some nights and are also very good. TIP --- tip them as they are not paid by the resort. Small pool and was very clean until local Cubans showed up with their families over Easter weekend and ate/smoked in the pool. They left food plates and plastic glasses and cigarette butts all around the pool area that eventually blew into the pool. I freaked out one day calling them all “pigs” and walked around picking up garbage yelling “this is where you put your garbage” as I threw it all in the garbage bins situated around the pool area. Even the Cuban staff was disgusted. Air-conditioning in room worked fine as did the flat screen TV. Always had hot water for a shower no matter the time of day. I never had to wait more than 2 minutes for a drink at the bar. As stated by previous reviewers it could be a problem for early risers to get a coffee sometimes. TIP --- go right to the kitchen and ask when lobby bar not open early. Espresso machine broke several times but always seemed to get fixed within an hour or two. This is a small resort and you will end up making good friends. You can walk from one end to the other in 5 minutes which is nice. TIP --- bring toilet paper whenever you leave resort or even when you want to use resort washrooms. Lobby washrooms are clean but beach bar washroom leaves a lot to be desired and has no running water in the sink to wash hands --- not good. A special shout out to Dani on the animation team and to my new friend Manuel also on the animation team. I met some very nice guests and we had many laughs. It was great finally meeting Coral Queen (Santiago Destination Expert) and her King. I met several other Trip Advisor peeps that made my vacation that much better. In summation (I know finally ---10,321 characters later) I had a great 2 weeks at Don Lino and will definitely return. I had more fun here than at any higher star rated resorts I have been to in Cuba. This is not the resort for Princes and Princesses; this is a resort for common folk that are usually more fun. Know what to expect and do your research --- as you should for any resort --- and you will not be disappointed. If anyone has any questions as I am sure I missed lots even though this review was long winded --- you can pm me and I will try to answer/help. If you found this review helpful please give me a helpful vote. Until next time --- Happy travels no matter when you go.
KELLY.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
73  Thank travelb4idieguy

Mayonnaise is NOT a suitable butter substitute for toast!!! LOL

Having been to Cuba at least a dozen times, and after reading reviews and doing research on Don Lino, it sounded like a great place to vacation at despite it being a 2 star with a rocky beach and limited buffet.

Convert your money at the airport - no on-site currency exchange and a cab or buggy into Santa Lucia can be time consuming and costly.

Check in was a disorganized mess… 10 people arrived in the middle of the day, 1 girl at reception and she was having a hard time matching up names with rooms with room keys and safe keys. We were a group of 4, we had requested and were told we would have 3 rooms close together. That didn’t happen. We ended up in one of the old rooms facing the water and while the view was lovely, it took a few days for me to get used to the “rustic charm” of the room. Always had lots of hot water and pressure and a few gecko visitors. Nice to have beach towels waiting in the room and I was pleasantly surprised at how new they appeared. I was also pleasantly surprised at how clearly marked the outlets were - several were 110V in the old rooms. And I really appreciated our room and its location in the afternoons when the force of the wind on the beach forced us to take loungers up to the grass outside our room - gave us shelter from the wind while still only steps from the beach.

Stating that the ocean floor was rocky and you needed water shoes was putting it mildly. There are a few spots at the far end of the beach that you could enter without shoes, but once in the water the current was strong enough to knock you over and you certainly didn’t want to take the chance of landing on your bum in a bed of sea urchins - quite a few people inadvertently put their hands down on them. However, once past the obstacles of urchins and rocks it was quite nice. Just beyond the resort is the military beach where you really didn’t need water shoes, but there were no loungers or bathrooms so not a beach you could spend any time on. Another option was Playa Blanca and while beautiful, again, a local beach, no bathrooms, no loungers, and you either spent 3 CUC each way on a horse and buggy or walked the 2km each way in the Cuban heat.

It would have been nice to see a drink menu at either bar. It would have been nice to see some kind of menu at the snack bar. The only thing that seemed to be available at the snack bar were hamburgers that they deep fried and french fries… croquettes were available later in the week. And for the life of me I don’t understand why the only coffee machine is located at the lobby bar instead of the central 24 hr snack bar bar. Coffee wasn’t available in the lobby bar til one of the bartenders came in - sometime after 7am - and then the pressure would have to build before coffee could be made, and the bar closed at 10 pm so no midnight Spanish coffees.

As others have mentioned, the bathrooms by the snack bar should be condemned - no running water or soap but always flooded and always a sewer smell… staff used those bathrooms and I’m surprised no one has come down with some kind of botulism or something. As for the buffet itself, what they offered was tasty but very limited. No butter for toast, instead, a big bowl of mayonnaise that sat out in the heat for hours. Bring your own jam and/or peanut butter. Cereal only offered 1 morning that I could see, Surprised not to see more fresh fruit like bananas or guava - lots of papaya, pineapple, and some days some not very ripe watermelon. The “salad” bar was cabbage, cucumbers, and tomatoes. That’s it. And no red wine for the first few days neither. There is, however, a new restaurant on the road to Playa Blanca called El Marlin Azul that we checked out. The food and the prices were fabulous and highly recommend you try it - easy 10 min walk from the resort. We also went to El Bambu in Santa Lucia one night which was quite tasty too. And I bought some wonderful little bananas at a roadside stand on the way to Playa Blanca.

We did enjoy the evening entertainment - the house band played through dinner service 4 nights and they brought in a young Cuban rock band that we really enjoyed. The ballet/water troupe they brought in on Friday night was phenomenal!! Very impressed!

What we didn’t know when we booked the trip is that the week we were there was also a Cuban holiday - within a couple of days busloads of Cubans arrived and literally took over the place. The bars were constantly running out of ice because the ice makers couldn’t keep up with supply and demand. Same with the coffee maker - kept losing pressure and sometimes would take an hour to build up again. So no ice for your drinks at either bar and no coffee or beer in the lobby bar. One morning I counted 22 children in the pool at 9am - we never spent any time by the pool because it was so crowded and busy. And the mess left behind was really sad.

We met some great fellow Canadians - some there for the first time, some were repeaters. I loved the location of Don Lino, the size, the peace and the tranquility. The staff for the most part were fantastic (one bartender would spend more time on his cell and another was more concerned with her hair and makeup) but sadly, for the price we paid, we expected a wee bit more. Even though it’s a 2 star, the annoyances and inconveniences we experienced will prevent us from going back or recommending it. For a few dollars more we could have gone back to one of our favourite 3 star resorts and gotten a lot more bang for our buck.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank salsamama
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We spent a week at Don Lino in the Spring of 2009.
The resort had been hit hard by a hurricane in the fall of 2008, but they had done a good job at re-building.

The resort was tiny. About 30 bungalow rooms laid out along the beach, and the road behind.
We had a room on the beach. It was incredible to walk out the door, and 3 steps later our feet were in the sand.

The staff was fantastic, they really made everyone feel like family. Since the resort was so small, it really did feel like one big family.

The entertainment was low key, but enjoyable nonetheless. A local band came each evening to play music. We all sat around in chairs and sipped our drinks and soaked up the music.

The food was "as expected" for Cuban standards. The selection was minimal, but not a surprise since there were so few people there. The omelets were fantastic. However, I did eat a ton of bread and butter that week. There is a grill by the beach - they serve up hotdogs, hamburgers and french fries. We made a point of eating there for lunch each day.

The beach is tiny and very rocky - make sure to bring good water shoes! That being said, the beach was very quiet, and not busy at all. At times, my husband and I had the entire beach to ourselves.

The room was spacious - a front "sitting room" with the bedroom in the back. We had a window a/c unit, but often just opened up the windows and the door and let the breeze cool things down.

In the evenings we'd wander up the road and see the locals. We handed out candy to the kids - they loved it!

Don Lino was definitely a unique resort. It's great if you're looking for a quiet, private getaway. It's not where you wan to be if you're looking for night life and activities.

Room Tip: Get a room on the beach! If you get a room on the road - you'll be facing the back of the rooms...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JWow2014
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Although it isn't for everyone, we really liked it.
The cabins on the water had a great view and a nice breeze blowing off the water much of the time. The snorkelling wasn't bad although the water is rough quite a lot of the time.
The Aquatic show was very good but in general it was nice to be somewhere that was so tranquil.
I wasn't looking for somewhere noisy and crowded and don't care too much about the nightly entertainment.
Keeping in mind the star rating, the food could use some improvement in variety.
I never good sick from anything I ate over 2 weeks which put's it way ahead of Playa Turquesa.
The Spanish coffee's at the Lobby bar are excellent and the rest of the beverages about the same as most other places.
I would go back - Great Price!

Only complaint would be to Sunwing who charged us the price of a return flight to change our return date

Room Tip: Loved the ocean view cabins (although they need some electrical work for saftey)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Russelltim
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Upon arrival we took about 45 minutes to get checked in. There were only 10 arrivals in total but there was so much confusion and disarray at the reception. These rooms should have been allocated before we got there to avoid such confusion. Trying to find rooms and keys that went with the rooms was disastrous. The rooms were outdated but very clean. I was in the new bungalows upstairs, no bugs of any kind. The beach I found was not that good, even though we wore water shoes it was very difficult to walk easily. The first part of the week the food was poor but I will say that after the many Cubans arrived mid week surprisingly it got better. Go figure. ( I will add now that I have never seen so much food and drinks wasted by these people.They left plate after plate of food on the tables.). The ice machines both in the Lobby Bar and the 24 hour bar broke down frequently and unable to get ice for mixed drinks not good. You can't run a bar without ice. The coffee machines broke down frequently as well apparently something to do with pressure so no Coffee or Spanish Coffee during that time.Had to wait for the pressure to build back up before you could order. A major problem also was there was no running water in the bathrooms by the bars....hygiene problem....The entertainment was not good either. Outside of the house band thee were no Cuban little skits on stage, no Cuban dancers, no Cuban musicals which I have seen many times.at these resorts. I will say the bartenders were very good and very friendly. Also the girls in the buffet were very good too.
I have been to Cuba a few times and have always stayed at 3 stars so kinda know what to expect. Just too many issues for me.
Would I recommend this resort to someone else....No
Would I go back to this resort myself.......No

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank jakatak2016
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rafael Freyre
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
Villa Islazur Mirador de Mayabe
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
#9 of 64 in Varadero
Bravo Caracol
Bravo Caracol
#4 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia

Been to Islazul Villa Don Lino? Share your experiences!