“Great Holiday With Friends” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Playa Costa Verde

Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rafael Freyre
kent
“Great Holiday With Friends”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

We stayed at Playa Costa Verde in April this year ( bit late doing our review ) After we checked in at Gatwick we were told our 10am Flight was delayed until 6pm that day so it didn’t get off to a good start. We were told we could have Lunch at The Hilton at Gatwick we took one look at the Food and declined. The Hours seemed to pass quickly as we were joined by friends who booked the same Holiday as us to surprise to us.

When we finally arrived at Playa Costa Verde check in was quick and we were soon in our Room. We were very impressed by our Room which over looked the Jacuzzi area. The Room was very spacious with a very large Wardrobe. We had a Safe in the room along with an Ironing Board and Iron. The Wash area where the Sink was is separate from the Bathroom where we had a Bath and Shower along with the Toilet. Shower Gel, Shampoo and Soap were provided along with bath Towels and Beach Towels. Also in the Room was Satellite TV but the only time we put the TV on was to watch part of The Royal Wedding. Air Con Unit worked well and was very quiet.

Restaurants, we used the Buffet one most days and could always find something nice to eat, lots of variety. We ate in the Steakhouse Restaurant twice and both times had fantastic meals and service. The Japanese Restaurant was great especially when they cook your dinner right in front of you. We tried the Italian Restaurant and regretted it as soon as we sat down. The Staff were so miserable and one waitress was really snappy in the way she spoke. We ate at The Cuban Restaurant one lunch time and had a lovely meal there.

The Beach was lovely and clean, pure white sand and turquoise sea. There was a Bar on the beach for refreshing drinks and it also served snacks at lunch time. The Beach did get very noisy at times which was mainly young Canadians who couldn’t talk without shouting, all walking around with their huge and I mean massive huge Thermos Tankards which could easily hold 3-4 Pints. This also was the reason why we never sat around the Pool as it was over run by loud Canadians.... (I must add not all Canadians are loud)

We weren’t impressed with our Rep as he was only really interested in the sound of his own voice. And yes Mr Thomson / First Choice Rep I mean YOU... !!!

We found the Reception Staff were rude 99% of the time (mainly the women) the male staff were ok. On one occasion we asked at Reception about organising a Birthday Cake, the lady sent us across to the Restaurant Reservation Lady , who then sent us to a different lady, who then sent us back to Reception who then decided it was her job to organise it.... I get the feeling Reception Staff really don’t know what they’re doing and really don’t know how to smile or how to treat guests.

We did have a great time with our friends and made the most of the 2 weeks we had with them. We had fantastic weather and all came home with great tans. We would all go back to Cuba but we wouldn’t go back to The Playa Costa Verde....

Room Tip: Request a Room near Jacuzzi as its quite central for everything.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank SnorkelQueen7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (850)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2011

Just got back from 2 fabulous weeks at the PCV. I flew from London with Thomas Cook. When I arrived at the resort at about 2.30 pm the room was not ready, but I was given a drink and asked to take a seat, not a problem, after about half an hour I was taken to my room by golf buggy. It was at the far end of the resort, facing the Blau. I had emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a second floor room in a quite spot and this was what I got, in any case it only took about 5 mins to get to the lobby bar, restaurants, beach, etc. The room was huge, I had a king size bed, a good sized bathroom and sink area, hairdrier, safe and iron in my room.

The hotel was full, so service can be a little slow, again, this isn't a problem for me, I am on holiday after all. The only issue I had was one day in the snack bar, I had been sitting at a table waiting to order for about 10 mins and one particular waitress kept walking passed me, so eventually I went to the counter where another member of staff was wrapping cultary and asked to order and was told to sit down and someone would come. When I asked if I could have a drink, he told me to go and order it from the waiter at the drinks station, I then joined the cue there and ordered some coffee, but felt a bit cross at having to do this. I went back to my seat, and another waitress, who is fantastic, then took my order and when the food came it was fresh and delicious. I used the snack bar several times and was served by this same waitress , who like I said is very pleasant and accommodating, but can't say the same for the other female waitress in there, who never attempted to serve me once, during my two week stay there. The lobby bar is excellent, a couple of times I had to ask them for a bottle of water, as there was none in my room and they gave me a bottle without a problem. The cocktails are great and the staff were very pleasant and always greeted me with a smile each day. I can highly recommned the Spanish coffee. The buffet restaurant can be a little busy at peak times, but I always found a table, you may have to wait for a drink, but never too long. My only issue there was some of the food on the buffet was cold, but I used to go the cooking stations and the lady chefs there were great, the food was always delicious. The cuban restaurant is near the beach, which I used most days for lunch, the food and service was always excellent. I went a couple of times at night and they do fresh lobster which was good. My favourite a la carte was the Japanese, the chef put on a great show and the food is delicious.

I mostly spent my days at the beach, there is bar there and you can get snacks at lunchtime, the sevice there was good also. There are plenty of loungers, if you asked the attendants, they would take one to where you wanted it. You will always get some people who go down early and reserve loungers, which are then left empty for the day, but there is no need to do this, as there was always loungers available whatever time I got to the beach.

I didn't use the pool much, but from what I could see the anamation staff work very hard. I had a massage with Tony and can honestly say it is the best I've had.

Overall I would highly recommend this resort and would go back if I return to Cuba. The hotel was mostly full of Canadians, which I found to be very sociable and I must mention the gardener, who greated me most days with a flower for my room.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Angie13
liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

This was our first trip to Cuba and after reading some of the reviews on here we where abit optimistic but went there with an open mind, we only paid £1500, so for 2 weeks all inclusive in the caribbean, Playa Costa Virdi in Cuba, how bad could it be?
Well it was very good and well worth the money but there is room for improvement at the resort.
The Airport
the airport is only small and is not air conditioned so after waiting over an hour for our luggage ( our plane was the only one to land so why it took so long is beyond me!) we couldn't wait to get on the coach to cool off.
Checking in on the way back was very slow too, the Cubans only have one pace, Slow! you've got more chance of seeing a snowman than you have a Cuban working at a fast pace.

Hotel check in
The hotel check-in was very quick which was good, we where then driven to our room on a golf buggie and our luggage taken up to our room,

The room
We requested an upstairs room which we got, after reading about the wild life that tend to share the downstairs apartments, we thought better of it,
The rooms are big and spacious, the beds are massive, not the comfiest I've ever slept on but ok, the bathroom was nice, bath and shower where clean and well presented.
The safe is free which was a bonus, couldn't figure out how to use it at first, but you type in 4 digits and press * to lock it, then the same 4 digits to open it,
There's a CD player with a USB for your mp3 or iphone which is good.
There's no milk for your coffee but you can get some from the buffet and put it in the fridge.
The rooms has air-con which is refreshing after spending all day in the sun.

The food
We tried some of the cuban food but not all, it was ok but not really to our taste, you have to remember your in cuba and there are plenty of Cubans there as well, There are a few cook stations which will cook your food fresh, chicken, chops, fish which we used quite alot, and there's one that does pasta dishes and pizzas,
At breakfast, you can get a nice omlette or pancakes cooked fresh for you, there's plenty of fresh fruit but not alot else to choose from, well nothing that appealing for breakfast anyway, we had fried eggs on toast most days.
The restaurants where good, well all except the Italian, we'd read the reviews on here about it
and thought that it couldn't be that bad, we ordered lasagne, after all, it an easy dish to make and how could you go wrong with it? It was terrible! I ended up eating mine out of embarrisment because my girlfriend hadn't even touched hers, we where in and out in 40 mins, not a good experience
The Japanese was excellent, we went there twice and the steak house was good too.

The Bars
The lobby bar is open 24/7 and is really good, the staff are very friendly and there make a lovely coffee.
Alot of people on here said the service is very slow and the cubans always got served before them, we never experienced any of that, you have to remember that everyone's on holiday and they're all drinking cocktails and some take longer to make than others so a little patience is all that's needed, there's always plenty of staff behind the bar so you will get served, The disco wasn't up to much but it was air conditioned, the problem was, all they play is cuban music, even when there's only english people in there, I don't mind abit of cuban music but you got it in the buffet for all your meals, around the pool all day and in the disco all night, they do play some chart stuff but not alot.

Creature feature
There's plenty of wild life around, there's crabs which tend to get everywhere, even the bar at night, the was even one in the toilets one morning, The mosquitoes are a nightmare, don't bother bringing your plug-ins for the room or repellents cos they don't work, they're immune to them I think, nothing worked when we where there, I was told to drink plenty of vodka cos they don't like that apparently ( any excuse hey) but I don't like vodka, so I got a shot from the bar and dabbed it on my skin, it did the trick, it also works as an after bite, don't buy any after bite from the shop, its 6 pesos and its just water in a tiny spray bottle, waste of money, use vodka, it works, check your room before you go to sleep as the cleaners leave the door open when they are cleaning and let in the mozzies, they'll just feed on you if you don't kill them.
The Pool & beach
The pools ok and the swim up bar is sound too but I was abit concerned about the amount of people drinking in the pool, the thing is, the nearest toilets are in the lobby bar which is quite far away, there where many people getting out to go the toilet so I'll let you work that one out yourself.
The beach was lovely, the water is clear and is great for snorkling , I'd take a pair of crocs or beach shoes as there's bits of coral as you first go in but its fine after that, its hot down there too but there is a bar down there, everything is free to use down there, from peddloes to wind surfing and the catermirans too

Overall, it was a good holiday for what we paid, the people are lovely and cant do enough for you, the resort was good but needs a bit of improvement in some departments, food was ok, beach was lovely, would I return? maybe but not in the near furture

Room Tip: an upstairs room is a must unless you like living with wild life
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank funkyjunky63
Sunderland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I read lots of good reviews on this hotel before booking, people have been going there time and time again so i thought it must be ok. All i can say is some people are very easily pleased. The brochure does say it has air con but fails to mention its only in the smokey cigar lounge or the nightclub. Not even ceiling fans in the main lobby bar where all of the entertainment is, unbearable. The restaurant does have ceiling fans but is wide open, buffet scattered with cockroaches on many occasions, birds pecking at the bread and wild cats roaming free around the tables. The only positive thing to say about this hotel is the staff, very friendly and helpfull. I hope this review will make anyone thinking of booking think twice. Never have i been so desperate to get home from a holiday.

Room Tip: ask for a room close to main area or you could be walking 10mins each time you want to go to your ro...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 811catherine
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Me and my boyfriend went for 2weeks at the end of August.
We paid £950 for the holiday, it was pretty cheap for them sort of countries however i wish i did the research before we booked.
We turnt up and our room wasnt even ready so after a long flight and trasfer we couldnt even relax and the first night, we went to go to bed there were stains on the bed sheets, we pulled the curtains and there were 2 big lizards behind, i know they are used to it and i dont mind about them being outside but not when they can crawl in to bed with you!
We had really good service on the reception and they changed our room straight away, as we wanted a top floor we were given a bottom floor however the next day went back and got a top floor room which was good, lizard free and actually clean sheets!!
We felt that the food was very limitied, so if your a fussy eater they DONT GO if you dont want to live off chickem, rice, pizza, burgers and COLD chips! We would go to dinner later about 9ish and ask for prawns or chips and they would say that they have finished when the buffet closes at 10 or half10.. how does this work?
Our rep didnt tell us about booking the extra resturants as soon as you get there, therefore we couldnt make it as they get booked up very fast OR arent even open on sunday and monday.. WHY?
The ice cream just melts :/ i know its a hot country but if you go to dinner late they you wont have any ice cream just mush!
There was the cigar man and ohhh he was the best!! nicest man, scooby the entertainment throughout the day :) but the rest of the staff werent as friendly, the cubans ALWAYS got served at the bar first even though you'd wait for ages!
The entertainment at night wasnt what we were told, there wasnt much to do, the night club was EMPTY! The entertainment was just a band but the swimming/dancers were GREAT!
We went of 4trips and we felt that the reps/tour guides just wanted tips all the time, we have spent money on the HOLIDAY and the TRIPS just because we are from england doesnt mean we are made of money!!

After all this, the beach was a bit rocky and the pool need re-tiling.. apart from that it was a lovely place BUT i will NEVER go back! Jamaicaaa next year!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Top rooms so that you can dry your swim stuff or they will probly be pinched
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Zoe T
montreal , canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Hola ! Just came back from Playa Costa Verde in Holguin , Cuba , September 11 to 18 . Spent a great week with friends ( 12 of us ) and had great weather all week . Had a good flight both ways with Sunwing . Landed at Frank Pais airport . The 1 hour bus ride to the hotel seemed short as the Cuban contryside was quite interesting . Reception at the hotel was slow and some of us did not get get what we asked for ( second floor was not available for everyone ) but it turned out o.k. A bus boy drove us to our room and showed us how everything worked . A/C and hot water worked great all week . The rooms were kept clean and were a good size . The hotel offers 440 standard rooms equipped with hair dryers , iron , ironing board , in room safety deposit box, telephone , t.v. , mini fridge with bottled water and soft drinks . The hotel has wheelchair accessibility and has 4 rooms designed for handycapped guests . POOL = The pool is very large and most of the activities are there , salsa and Spanish lessons , pool games , water polo , etc.....They have a KIDS club supervised by a staff member . RESTAURANTS = They have 3 specialty restaurants ( where men have to wear long pants ) .Japanese " Kyoto " , Cuban " El Conoco " , Italian " Venecia " . All very good but our favorite was the Japanese . Th Buffet opens at 7.30am. for breakfast , lunch and supper . You can have Champagne and Vodka & orange juice at breakfast . The snackbar " Los Coneyes " is open 24hrs. and serves meals 24hrs. You can have a steak supper for $ 10 pesos extra . Lobby bar is also open 24hrs. Th disco opens at 11.00pm. and the cigar lounge , near the reception desk , at 6.30pm. The night shows were so-so when we were there , probably because they were doing renovations to the main stage and the shows were in the main lobby . They had a couple of great bands tho . They have 2 jaccuzzis on the premises and a flea market every day with new vendors . BEACH = Lots of shade ( umbrellas ) , beach bar and noon snack bar . Paddle boats and catamarans are free . There are lots of rocks when you enter the water but after the rocks , the ocean floor is very sandy . You can snorkel on a small reef very close by . To the right is the Blau hotel and to the left is the Pescaro . You can walk the whole beach and back in less than 1 hour . We had no jellyfish or moskitos all week . When we re there , there was no activity at the beach at all by the Animation team . On the last day , we asked to play Bocci and had a few good games . A good size gym opens early for fitness people and for those not fit , the beer corner is near the ice cream bar . Blocks 2600 to 3600 are nearer to the beach . TIPS = bring Immodium , face cloths , bug repellent and vinegar for jelly fish . Last two items is just in case . Make sure you put aside $25 pesos for the airport departure tax . You need your passport to change your Canadian currency to Cuban convertable pesos . When phoning home , you have to pay " on the spot ". Do no give Canadian coins as tips as they cannot exchange them . Hope this helps a bit , If more info is needed , e-mail Sheila & Don at = sheilaboucher@sympatico.ca Ciao !

Room Tip: Rooms in blocks 2600 to 3600 are nearer to the beach .
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Prescot
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Just returned this morning from Playa Costa Verdi. Had a fab time. The hotel is a little tired and could benefit from a bit of a face lift but was great value for money. The staff were the main asset to this hotel, always happy always smiling and very helpful. Top man at the hotel was Ricado, he sold the cigars around to pool area and worked at he lobby and pool bars he knew everything about cigars, really good at his job. The entertainment staff were really good keeping the guests involved in activities. Got to mention Dixie at the beer corner - ice cold beer at the end of a day on the beach or by the pool tasted so good. All the staff work so hard even the gardeners speak English and are really nice people.Patricia in the lobby bar makes the best coffee and has a big smile for everyone.The japanese restaurant was awesome we visited it twice during our stay and the food was amazing. The steakhouse was very good, biggest fillet steak I have ever seen. The cuban restaurant was also excellent the creole pork was gorgeous. The lobby bar got very hot and would benefit from having some fans to cool it down a little to make it more comfortable for the guests. We had a bit of a problem with the first room we were allocated on the day we arrived but this was sorted the following day and we were move to a much nicer room. The first week we were eaten alive by the mosquitos but by the second week the situation was under control. We spent two weeks at this resort, the weather was fantastic, very,very hot. As the hotel was not full the guests mixed really well. If you are looking for 5 star accomodation then Playa Costa Verdi is not for you - you should find another hotel and pay 5 star prices. However if you are looking for good value for money a good time and a warm friendly place to stay then this is the hotel for you. We are already looking at going back next year as we enjoyed it so much.

Room Tip: Always ask for a second floor room unless you are not bothered by unwelcome visitors of the insect v...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill
Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas Resort

Been to Hotel Playa Costa Verde? Share your experiences!