Sol Rio de Luna y Mares
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Guardalavaca
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Islazul Villa Don Lino(Rafael Freyre)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Hotel Pernik(Holguin)
6,130 results
All reviewsfrench restaurantcolon buffetla ninafishwhite nighta la carte restaurantssnack barwater balletbeach restaurantcd playerbeach discohorse ridingcalamarithomas cookbeautiful beachtwo weeksgreat holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I just got back from the Sol Luna Mares for a two weeks vacations. It wasn't my first time at this hotel (my 6 or 7 times and 21 in Cuba), and once again, I had a very nice vacations. The weather was very nice. I come back with a lot of beautiful memories. I traveled by myself and at this hotel, i'm not bored at all. The staff are very nice and professionnel. The room, the meal, and the beach was perfect (for me). I love doing catamaran and I enjoyed it everyday. The guys are very professionnel. I went to Baracoa for overnight with a private guide. It was an amazing experience and Baracoa is a beautiful small city with good chocolate. I also did the excursion Super Campina, I recommend highly this one because it is very interesting and also there's time to swim with dolphins. Also, I discovered near the hotel, there is a very good restaurant. There'a also a lot of activities that the hotel offers. I want to thank the staff at the reception for the professionalisme care when I had my big allergy. They took care quickly to send me to the doctor at Guardalavaca (because it was 11h00 at night). The doctor was very good. I knew that I was in a very good hands. I really recommend this beautiful hotel. You will not be dissapointed. I have been a few places in Cuba and this one is the best. Muchas Gracias Sol Luna Mares. See you next December.

Room Tip: I really liked the side of Luna bloc 5 (5315-5317) for his beautiful view also near from the beach, more calm.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
8  Thank Sylvie C
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear sylviac33 from Chambly,
We hope to see you again for a 8th visit !

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I spent 2 weeks with my husband son and daughter in law at sol luna we went on 2 june and it was all we expected and more. Stayed luna side room 5316 and the veiws were just stunning straight over the fab beach woke each morning to birds and the sound of the sea.
The rep was a very kind guy when we got on the coach at airport we were greated with huge smiles and a great welcome given our all inclusive bands on coach and room numbers so already the hols started.
The weather was stormy for two days but very little rain it got a bit humid towards the end of our stay but the pool and sea were very impressive and welcomed relief.
Food was good plenty of everything didn't enjoy Italian restaurant otherwise no problems at all.
My father died whilst we were on holiday but the staff were very caring towards us all and I would like to thank them again through this review.

Room Tip: Go high to get veiws luna is much more quite. They are working on some of the roomsmeet some people who had a family room and it was massive.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank luckyhoneypoppy

Dear luckyhoneypoppy from Warrington,
We thank you as well for having the kindness to post your review and recommend the hotel,
Hoping to see you again,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our 7th time to Cuba but our 1st to the Sol Rio. We travelled as a family of 4 adults and 2 children aged 4 years and 20 months with Thomas Cook via Low Cost Sunshine Holidays from 24th June to 8th July. Flights were on time from Gatwick but the usual slow progress through passport control in Holguin. Transfer to the Sol Rio was about 1hour 10 minutes and our rep Erly was very good. Check in was very quick with "all inclusive wrist band" room keys cards and welcome pack given to us as we got on the coach. A welcome drink at reception and a copy of our passports taken then straight to the rooms. I emailed a few weeks before hand asking if we could have 2 adjacent ground floor rooms in the Luna side. We were delighted with what we were given in the Luna, close to the swimming pool, 24 hour bar / snack bar (quiet) and close to the beach with a great sea view. The hotel is well laid out and covers a fairly large area, with very well maintained gardens.

Main Points:

Rooms
Rooms were large with basic furniture(normal in most hotels in Cuba)
2 large double beds plus cot
It was cleaned very well every day by our maid.
There is a digital "safe" provided at no extra charge,
Ironing board plus iron
Fridge with water provided daily
Air con
Bath/shower/twin sinks and bidet
TV
outside veranda
Beach towels provided at no extra cost and these can be changed daily if required

Luna Side:
Reception area
TV lounge bar
One main pool with depths from 1 to 1.6m
One small kid's pool about 0.2m deep
Lots of sunbeds....never a problem getting some
both were very warm and very clean
24 hour bar/snack bar.....also does breakfast in morning in case you get up late and don't want a 5 minute walk to the main restaurant at the Mares.....it was quiet during our visit. We found the staff here to be very friendly and helpful. Quality of drinks were good but t's best to take your own insulated mugs because there is often a shortage of glasses and plastic cups. Quality of the snacks was also good, pizzas, burgers, hot dogs, fries , icecream etc.
The French and Italian Restaurants were close by...the French was our favourite....great steak!
There is Mediterranean Beach bar close by the entrance to the beach that serves drinks and food during the day. We only ate here once because it was very busy at lunch times.
There is a wedding chapel at the end of the path leading to the beach.
There are a few steps to the amazing beach which has soft white sand. The sea is warm and shallow for several metres out but watch out for some areas of coral in places.Good for snorkling and lots of fish. Lots of sunbeds here as well.....never had a problem getting any.

Mares side:

Main reception area
lounge bar
reps desks
shops
bank (exchange rate was 1.68 CUC/sterling during our stay)
large pool with swim up bar....not sure if there was a kid's pool because we used the Luna pool.
amazing views across the beach from by the pool....but about 40 steps or a long walk down to the beach....another beach bar here as well.
The main restaurant is at the Mares....mainly buffet style....but chefs will prepare meats/fish/pastas as requested. We thought the choice and quality of the food was very good
but we did hear a few people moaning about it. I'm not sure what their expectations of Cuba are but people should remember they cannot source things from the US due to the continuing embargo.
The entertainment during the day and night is all at the Mares side.There is a large theatre area and some of the shows and groups were excellent.
There was also a very good Aqua Show.

General Comments:
Most nights there was additional entertainment from Cuban groups, opera singers, pianists, violinists, saxophonists around the bar areas.....all extremely good.

We took a pony and cart ride to Guardalavaca market 30 pesos....made a pleasant few hours. You can arrange this at the front of the hotel. Taxis are also available at about 20 pesos.
The dolphin trip is worth doing (we've done it twice before at Holguin and Varadero)
There is a nature trail at 3 pesos each to the right hand side of the Mares car park near the small bar (beers are 1 peso!)
Also if you like fishing there is a small concrete jetty just to left of this small bar down the pathway. We didn't catch any big ones but we had plenty of small snappers and flat fish. We did see some medium size baracudas but they weren't hungry. Shrimps were the best bait ( ask the chefs nicely and if they are available they will give you some) otherwise calamari also works.
We also caught from both sides of the beach.
You can walk to a large lagoon if you exit the Luna and keep going left. You will come to a path that leads to a long blue wooden bridge. There you can see white egrets, cormorants and terapins......we didn't catch any fish here although we were told there were some Talapia in there.

Overall this was a great family holiday, fantastic weather (only one thunderstorm about 3am on our 1st day)
All staff were very friendly and helpful...and the gardeners keep the grounds looking really good!
There are a few mosquitos about but most of my bites I'm sure came from some of the extremely small ants and other midges that are around. Also there are some small land crabs that seem to find their way into to most unlikely of places.....my grand son thought these were great.

The manager and his senior team greeted us at our reps meeting and waved us goodbye when we left.....a nice end to our holiday'

Plus as a bonus our home flight was early!

Would we recommend the Sol Rio ???? YES

Room Tip: The Luna side is quieter than the Mares but still has it's own main pool and kid's pool. Also has easier access to the beach. The Mares has about 40 steps from the pool area to the beach but there is also a longer walkway you can use if you've got kid's buggies.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank BazzaSwindon

Dear BazzaSwindon,
We are most grateful for your recommending us! We really appreciate you took the time to post your review. We are very hppy that your family had a great holiday.
Wishing you a wonderful day,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

An excellent place to discover. 4th time here and will go back again, no doubt. Beach is awesome, one of the nicest I know. Well maintain. Lots of places to do snorkelling from he beach. Staff is extremely helpful and smiley. Rooms are comfortable. Cant' beat the value-Quality this resort offers. I love the catamarans (Hobby Cat).Food is excellent. YES, it is excellent. Anybody who complaints about this place, I would be very interested to know who they live their day to day. I have so many names to share that it would be too long. Basically, be friendly, relax, take time to know and understand their unique kindness in not a such pleasant economy. Be interested in their daily activities, their family, their communities, their sports.. So much to learn and to share. A treasure to discover and impossible not to come back and feel part of a family. And a family helps each other. Create a win/win situation and live an amazing experience every time. Now, when I come her, I don't buy a vacation, I invest in excellent memories and friendships. Be bold and do the same!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Joel S
Ricardo M, General Manager at Sol Rio de Luna y Mares, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Joel S,
We thank you deeply for your appreciation of our staff and efforts. We are very proud to consider you part of our family!
Thank you for your preference!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

First of all lets all remember this is Cuba
Hotel massive plenty of room round pools and beach
Food a plenty even a beach restaurant for lunch and in the eve an a la carte
Beach spotlessly clean
Staff lovely and really want to get to know you too.
A la cartes good especially the French
Just outside hotel is a massive park where you can ride fish and even eat what you have cooked too.
Yes Cuba is poor but I love it here and Cuba has to be one of the most friendliest places on this earth
Will we return ? YES ! :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank nutterEssex

Hola nutterEssex,
Thank you kindly for your review.
We are very glad you enjoyed a great holiday,