“Budget resort in beautiful Holgiun” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca

Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Guardalavaca
Napanee, Canada
“Budget resort in beautiful Holgiun”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I stayed at this resort with my 2 sons (21 & 22) we were originally booked in to a sea view room in the tropical section (not great). We upgraded to the villa section on arrival and these were in the newer section of the resort surrounding the 24 hour snack bar and a very nice pool. If you are booking ing here spend the extra for the villa rooms as you wont regret it. The resort has 3 buffets and it was nice not to eat at same place every day. This is a budget resort and for what we paid it was adequate, we met lots of travellers who have been going there for years and abolutely love it. If I was in the market for a cheap getaway in Cuba again I would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank mmurphy109

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, ONT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I have read about this place online and knew that the Garden View room we booked is very basic: no balcony, no fridge, lack of counter space etc. However I also see people suggesting upgrade to a Bungalow or Villa. When we got there we found out there to upgrade 1 category of room is around $12 CUC per room per night. To go from Garden View to Villa Ocean View is 3 categories up and extra for ocean view so you pay $41 per night. We decided not to upgrade which suited us fine. In our room the air condition was cold enough (I only left it on the minimum setting otherwise it was too cold) and it was clean. The Tropical rooms don't look too much better from the outside (still no balcony) and Ocean View will be way too noisy all day from the action in the pool and bar. There is a stage in the Bungalow section and there was loud wall-shaking music from 8ish to 11ish most nights (which can even be heard in the Garden View rooms). Villas are by far at the best location and they look nice. But for us it was not worth it - we just need a room to shower and sleep, and an upgrade would still give us the same things everywhere else - which brings me to my problem with the food.

I don't eat red meat. At the other 2 resorts in Cuba we've been to (Varadero, Manzanillo) there were enough variety to keep me happy. Not here, there was chicken done the same way every single day at all 3 buffets. Sometimes there were also grilled fish but I got pieces that were ok and other pieces so fishy that I couldn't eat them. If you like pork you'd fare much better. As for the a la carte, we arrived Saturday night and on Sunday morning there must have been 50 people in the line up to sign up for them so I left. Went back later in the day and already the next few days were solidly booked and we had to settle for the Grill since we had only 5 days. The "grilled shrimps" there were not good; not only were they not grilled - just cooked in a pan on the charcoal grill, but they were mushy and stuck to the shell.

For variety we went to the seafood restaurant by the craft market. Was not too bad, $12 for a big half lobster, $7 for shrimps that were better the resort's.

We did enjoy the premises; grounds were kept beautifully, beach is wonderful, loved walking through all the different sections and choices of entertainment (water ballet is great) and food (at least you can go to another restaurant if one was busy). Lots of lounge chairs around - no need to hog. Drinks - well the mojito (when they had it) and daiquiri were horrible (bad lime juice?) but Pina Colada is fine. Lots of shopping - arts and crafts market and several government shops close by.

We did join one tour which we regretted - the Taino Museum and Village. The problem was that after visiting there, they took us back to the craft market to shop! Then after lunch we were supposed to visit a mini-zoo, but it had just closed so that was the end of the tour. Would have been better to have hired a taxi to visit the museum.

Check-in was the easiest we've had in Cuba. Walked up to the reception, found our packet on the table, signed and got to the room which all took about 10 minutes. Was confused about the term "Main hotel" but that turned out to be the Atlantico section (Tropical). Great tip from other web sites - go to the Bungalow bank to do cash exchange - the Atlantico line was long and slow.

Another tip, it is not a "24 hour snack bar" - only drinks are served there around the clock. No snacks (burger, hot dog, ham&cheese, fries) are served between 6 and 10 pm when half of it becomes the Italian Restaurant. We arrived at 9:30pm and was able to get anything to eat.

Would we go back? perhaps; it was a cheap vacation and we liked the general area. We'll have to work with the food situation. Or perhaps if we can book the Villa for cheaper (which was sold out when we booked) - currently $120 CDN more for 7 nights. Or maybe try another resort which is directly on the beach - this property is above sea level and you have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the beach.

Chec out the panoramas I created at

1 Thank tpch
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

Just got back from a week with hubby and big group of friends. Found the room lacking (stayed in Tropical Section) but really didn't spend much time in there! The staff were very nice and friendly. Food was boring - unless you like cabbage and green tomatoes. But the pools were clean, if a little cold. Beach was beautiful. Was always able to find a lounge chair. But the towels service was slow. Was only able to change my towel once during the week and that was because we waited all day for the clean ones to be delivered.
Over all the trip was fun but not sure if I would go back to this resort.

Room Tip: Got to see the villas and they were nice but not really close to the beach. The hotel rooms are ver...
ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

We just came back from there on Wednesday morning and were in one of those planes you have probably read about where people were very sick.It is a bit weird,'cause I am fine but my husband is fighting the nausea and diarrhea.We pretty much ate the same food so I really can't say what is causing all that trouble with some people.But I wanted just to write my quick review about this resort.
When we arrived at around 11pm the check-in was exceptional........I believe that this is our sunwing's rep doing!!!! There were cards all ready with room numbers and all we had to do go to the counter and get our key.....Awesome service when you are tired from delays and flight.
Shock !!!! Even after were already prepared for this lol ... When we saw our room in the "barracks".Since we booked last minute we couldn't upgrade and were told at arrival that the hotel is fully booked....so we tried to do the best out of the situation. The positive about the barracks was that we had the second floor and even old and run down it was very very clean and the maid was great and very attentive. If you get stuck there and end up on ground level then you will have to deal with the smell of urine and worse because we have seen (too) many drunk guys peeing on the pillar or in the bushes right in front of the doors...... gross.... yuck...All this said the barracks are ok for a week but not made for romance.
The food was typical cuban food....Didn't expect more but we are not picky and find something anywhere.It takes a while to figure out where to eat since the hotel is huge and there are 3 or maybe even more buffets and plenty of a la carte restaurants.The pups/bars on each of the different parts of the hotel make the usual fast food......burgers,hot dogs,fries,pizza and the bar on the Amigo site even makes putine lol.....
The service everywhere was excellent (with or without tip) and it was defiantly the cleanest resort I have ever been in Cuba.All the staff we encountered spoke either french and/ or English,never had a problem with any language
The beach!!!!! WONDERFUL !!!! that's all I have to say about that.....there are also some small bays where you can sun bathe and someone will place your lounge chair there for .You can leave your towel on your chair and go for walks and it will be safe ,cause they remember you and watch out for your stuff.
Entertainment !!! Well if there was any then it was not on the barrack site....Hardly any music and that was a bit boring and doesn't get you in the holiday mood....Lot of french-canadian college kids and they entertained themselves with their boom boxes and LOT of booze.From what I have read and heard there was not much entertainment going on on the other site either.....so maybe that's something the management should be working on.
The reservations for the A La Carte restaurants are a real pain in the butt....They have to figure out a new system....huge line-ups ,only 1 person and this hotel has over 700 rooms....If you are lucky enough to get into any of them go to Benny More and spend the 10CUC for the seafood platter/lobster.....was the best food. But again some people say that's when they got sick....hmm I also think people get sick by laying in the sun all day long,drinking too much and eating food they are not used to.......the magic word I also believe is "moderation"....and hope for the best that it doesn't hit you
All in all it was an ok holiday for what it intended to be for my husband and myself .....NO snow ,SUN,Ocean NO cooking and drinks just RELAX but I probably wouldn't go back unless if we could get the villas or bungalows for a great deal.....So for everybody who wants to go there and wants to have a decent room then listen to the people who wrote previous reviews and upgrade right away

Room Tip: if you get stuck with the barracks/gardenview then at least try to get 2nd floor
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
22 Thank mimmi1961
Sackville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

There are 6 of us going back again on March 26 for 2 weeks. This is my 9 th trip to Club Amigo and I love it. We meet a lot of others there from Ottawa, Montreal and other parts of the Maritimes who go back there every year as well, I prefer the Bungalows over the hotel or barracks as they call it. The Bungalow & Villa sections are the best accomodations on the resort. The hotel and barracks are for the younger people who want to party all the time. I like the location of the Bungalows because you are centered for all the sections of the resort.
I have never had a problem with the food. There is always a variety of foods to choose from, so no one should ever go hungry and it gets better every year. The manager Carlos has done a fantastic job getting the grounds & accomodations improved after the hurricaine damage 2 years ago. The garden staff are hard workers and deserve a lot of credit. We visit a family there every year and they really appreciate us spending time with them. I am now counting the days down to March 26.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
18 Thank SisSackville
Sutton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

The hotel itself was adequate I mean you get what you pay for. We didn't realize what was biting us, we thought sand fleas, but soon realized we had very small red ants in our room and when they bite, its sore. The food is terrible but food. Drinks flow just fine, but if your single this is NOT the place to go at all. There is no entertainment at all, they have a 24 hr drinking area, but no music at all. So needlesstosay it was boring if your interested in dancing or enjoying yourself. Oh it does have a disco, if your a teenager that likes strob lights, very young of young drinkers but if your in your 20's, not the place at all. We did the jeep tour which was awesome, and deep sea fishing and caught fish, that was fun, but as far as everyday all day, boring as hell. And if your not french as we were not, good luck, this place is 90% french, which I have nothing against french people, but if you don't speak it or understand it..good luck, they jump in and can order drinks and such over you b/c the staff at the resort can understand them....so in alot of occassions your at the back of the bus. And they one place that has a sort-of entertainment, which is singers and guitars and such, nothing great, but they only speak spanish, b/c the french can understand them, us english speaking people, just have to guess whats being said, didn't appreciate that. Take peanut butter and such and ketchup. The beach however is just great. Staff very nice !!

Room Tip: DO NOT GET THE BARRACKS, we met people who did and they are houching with cockroaches. We were in t...
6 Thank Lori R
Niagara
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

Just returned from a week's vacation at Club Amigo. The resort itself is beautiful and well kept. After preparing myself by reading tripadvisor before my trip - I was not expecting too much in the food department.... and can say even though there are alot of different food options - I did not find much of it very appealing at all. The made to order breakfast omlette's were good, as was the French toast and pancakes.... but other than that - the fries and burgers staple I tried to stick with got old pretty quick. Pasta was very good too - made to order and pretty tasty.But others in my group really enjoyed the food and selection there - so really it's all about what your preferences are. We stayed in the Villa section and the rooms were spacious, clean with beautiful views and the housekeeping service was fantastic. kudos to Maniela our maid who did a fanstastic job each day!

The resort offers a large variety of activities and excursions - but keep in m ind if you can't pre-book these events, you will spend a good chunk of your time in line waiting to do so at the resort. Ala cartes booked up repeatedly each week and even though we were supposed to have 3 - we only could get into 1 of them. It wasn't bad - but then again I wasn't a fan of the food to begin with. If it's at all possible to pre-book your excursions and ala cartes - I can't recommend enough to do so before your trip! spend that time on the beach instead!!!

We booked our trip through Redtag.ca and was NOT IMPRESSED with our representive. Good luck getting a response to any questions you emailed about or actually getting the room you requested. I had specifically requested a Oceanview Villa suite for this trip - was told by our Redtag rep that we had it secured (we booked a year prior) but ended up in a different Villa section. It was still beautiful - but was told I would have to pay extra daily to upgrade to an Oceanview.... wasn't impresssed as I felt this should have been handled better by our Rep before we arrived. this is just one of a few grievences I have with our Redtag service. I will never use them again.

The beach is fantastic - and I didn't snorkel myself - but others with me did and said the snorkelling right from the beach was amazing. It was definately a great place to relax and 're-charge'

If the food was better - I would return to Club Amigo again and again.... but after a week of sore stomachs and craving good food - not sure that I will. Loved the resort though!

A great time and great memories were had - thanks again!

Room Tip: Villa suties are wortth the upgrade, spacious, clean and pretty quiet...but the Atlantico hotel sect...
9 Thank kkfromNiagara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guardalavaca
Islazul Villa Don Lino
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
Hotel Playa Costa Verde
#2 of 4 in Rafael Freyre
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,193 reviews

Been to Club Amigo Atlantico - Guardalavaca? Share your experiences!