“Top of the bill”

Cuisines: Belgian, French, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have eaten in about most MichelinStar restaurants in Belgium (the most are situated in West Vlaanderen) Danny Horseele is a great place to eat and has different menus (lunch and dinner) and also "à la carte" and what makes a great difference with most places : the chef come and explains the menu for that particular moment and checks afterwards to. He has a great "sommelier" (won some prices in France) and what he recommends is not always the most expensive wine but the most adequat for the menu of the day. Peacefull surroundings but always somebody close by if you have questions or needs. The food is fantastic over and over again. I live in Brugge so it is a short drive away and so I go on a regular basis. You get what you expect and more. It really is a complete experience. The chef is back in hospital for his illness but we all pray that he gets back soon and gets his kitchen back into the normal routine. Best of luck for his recovery.

5  Thank Patricia L

Reviewed 14 August 2012

I visited many star restaurants in Belgium. You cannot eat better anywhere else. The food is fantastic. Each course is a culinary marvel, an exciting alliance of creativity and perfectionism. The service is perfect and friendly. Contrary to the other star restaurants in de Bruges Region the prices are very reasonable. I think it's just a matter of time before this restaurant get its third star.

15  Thank Jan M
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We reserved at this restaurant for a réunion with a bunch of friends. This restaurant has 2 michelin stars and is known for the superb kitchen. Our expectations were set quite high.
Unfortunately, at the day of our visit, the owner and chef has been taken back to hospital due to a severe illness.
The customer approach was quite stiff and a few smiles could be found on the faces from the staff. The first tone was set in a less pleasant way. I think that a great and warm welcome sets the tone for the rest of the evening. 2 flowerpots filled with little orchids were decorated at the entrance presented on two white straight pillars. One advise, please change the orchids to big ones. The 2 small orchids are not coherent to a 2 michelin star restaurant.
We were very quickly asked for an 'aperitif'. We all went for a special champagne. The restaurant give us no choise of the cuisine and we all had to take the menu. Now, at that point i do understand that the chef was not there, but would they rather then had just called all guests and cancel the dinner or called all guests and let them know that they could only take a menu and then it would be up to the guest to decide if they would come yes or no. BUT proposing this menu only when you arrive was a mistake.
So, of course, we all went for the menu. Some people asked to change 1 dish into something else and this was no problem for the kitchen.
The quality was superb and less to know remarks on the menu. I only did not like the Ice Lolly made of gin tonic and the dessert was rather disappointing. The menu had ups and downs, but it didn't blow my socks out. We payed 150 euro per head and most of us had a mixed feeling, as well as myself. I can only say, i expected more.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is a very special place to go. The location is a typical farm in a very small village in the middle of the flat Belgian countryside (I could have said in the middle of nowhere). Staying in Knokke-le-Zoute, the access was very easy. The restaurant mixes lightened spaces and local building materials. The service is very welcoming and elegantly distant (I love that...). We had a five dishes menu, which was simply fantastic. The cooking is very refined without being too sophisiticated. We spent a marvellous evening and will go back !

4  Thank RS1170
Reviewed 3 January 2012

When you have done other "Michelin star" restaurants in the region, you don't need to try this one. Good, but not "wauw". I would try other adresses like "Hertog Jan" or "De Karmeliet" or even de "Herborist" if you 're looking for this level of restaurant and price...that are amazing experiences...!!