“Awful”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
San Francisco, California
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

This place is terrible. Our room, in the main house, which was more expensive that the other buildings, was filthy: carpets, the throw on the bed, the curtains, even the phone had dust on it. The bed was old and sagged badly. There was little to no ventilation and the fans provided just succeeded in kicking up dust from the carpet. The wardrobe door was falling off. Probably the worst room I have ever had to stay in.
It is very much a conference centre and shows significant wear and tear in all the common areas.
The breakfast wasn't bad, but the event meal was poor.
We didn't voice our concerns whilst we were there as we were guests at an event, but the duty manager did make good on our costs when we contacted her.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
twin2009, Front Office Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. We have addressed the issues you raised with us and I am glad to hear that the duty manager refunded the costs associated with your stay. I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectations, we would be delighted to welcome you back in the future, assuring you of a much more enjoyable stay.

Kind regards

Carolyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

We had a lovely stay in a nice quiet room. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly except for the polite but too-efficient receptionist who left us with several questions about breakfast etc. Food was good with reasonable choice. Downsides were that flush in our bathroom was a bit dodgy and some areas of the hotel need a bit of TLC. Basic things like the tea facility in the room could have been better. However, based on the bar, lounges, library, coffee points, friendliness of staff (particularly the gentleman on duty at breakfast), I would recommend this venue.

Pros: Lovely building and communal areas, useful coffee points and water dispensers, helpful staff, good food, absolutely lovely resident cat!

Cons: In need of tlc in certain areas. Our flush didn't work well. Kettle too large for sink - (had to fill it using the cups).

Room Tip: We stayed in a quiet room on first floor away from the entrance.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed here as a couple, with friends at a conference. We got a big room overlooking the fields which provided a nice view of the countryside. Toilet was a little small but we managed between the 2 of us.

Food was generally ok. We had all 3 meals at the hotel. Typical English breakfast consisted of bacon, eggs, mushrooms, baked beans. Lunch and dinners were also ok, edible and filled the tummy and I would say the food is average.

What was interesting was the library and the lounge areas, something which was new to me as I have not seen in other hotels I've stayed. There was ample of space within the hotel to sit in a group to interact with friends, with free flow of water, tea and coffee provided. You can stay up past the wee hours of the morning just chit chatting, catching up with friends or getting to know more friends. Unlike a pub, the place is quiet enough without you having to raise your voice to get heard. The high ceilings within the lounge areas provided a good atmosphere for us to chill and relax. The library is stocked with different kinds of books from encyclopedias to journals. If you want a quiet spot to revel in your books, this would be a good place to start.

Some of my friends wanted to use the pool but it was crowded. Perhaps an upgrade of the pool would be helpful to allow higher usage by hotel guests.

This would be good for a little getaway, set out in the countryside. To get there by public transport requires a bit of maneuvering. Train to Chalfont and Latimer, followed by a taxi to Latimer Place. With good weather, the walks would be really nice. During our stay there, the weather wasn't that kind and dampened the spirits a little. Nevertheless it would have been great if there was some sunshine.

3 stars average for the hotel room, but 3.5 stars overall for the entire stay including the library and lounge.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for you review following your recent visit to Latimer Place, I hope your conference went well. I am pleased to hear that you found our environment relaxing. I appreciate your feedback regarding our popular leisure facilities, we would love to extend however are restricted due to our location.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

"Looks can be deceiving" comes to mind when referring to Latimer Place. My partner and I had to sleep elsewhere for a week when our home had a power failure; Latimer Place seemed ideal, as it's a short walk from our home. However, we had to change rooms a grand total of FOUR TIMES, due to a combination of uncomfortable beds and noise pollution from other guests. The hotel is also a venue for conferences, so it's not recommended for a quiet stay, as we could here other guests partying in all but our final room. To top it all off, the staff need a lesson in general manners. There was a thoroughly corporate feeling to this place, which left a bad taste in the mouth. I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor, away from the conference parties!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LManz27
I am sorry to hear that you had to move rooms so often and hope you will be coming to the annual drinks and canapes that I host for our local residents every Christmas so we can chat further.

However, I would like to take this opportunty to confirm that we are a conference and events venue first and foremost. We do of course welcome leisure and company travellers when our occupancy allows it, very often there will be large groups of conference guests who gather to learn or network.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Chesham hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

From the outside the hotel looks amazing and very elegant but the rooms and decor needs updating! The staff were lovely and very obliging and the food was incredible! Would love to come back again and the views were stunning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura G
Thank you for posting a review on trip advisor following your recent visit to us. I am pleased that you found the food incredible and am happy to confirm that we will be under going refurbishment in the new year as soon as the business levels allow it.

I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year.
Plymouth, Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Hotel is located in the middle of the countryside, so it's very quiet and peaceful (even though the M25 and Latimer & Chalfont railway station are within a few minutes' drive). The main house is Victorian Gothic, but much of the accommodation is in modern or newly converted blocks.

My room was in the North Wing (one of the modern blocks), and although the room was well appointed and of a good size with a very nice bathroom, it was spoiled by a few easily-rectified snags.
Firstly, there was neither a window nor extractor fan in the bathroom, so the steam and smells (e.g hairspray) had no escape other than into the bedroom.
Secondly, the lighting was very poor, even in the bathroom - so much so that I had great difficulty applying makeup, and reading in bed caused eyestrain after a few minutes.
Thirdly, there were only two electical sockets, both of which were too far from a mrror to enable the use of my hair-straighteners.
Finally, all the floorboards in the bedrooms and corridors creaked very loudly, so all through the night I was repeatedly woken as people came and went above me, in the rooms next to me, and along the corridor. It was all the more noticeable as the location of the hotel is so quiet.

EVERY one of the staff I had interactions with were excellent - polite, friendly, helpful and efficient. The lovely Latvian receptionist was wonderful (shame she's leaving on Thursday), but the star was the gloriously funny (and efficient) Sicilian Restaurant Manager. So sorry I didn't catch your names.

The dining menu is somewhat limited, especially if you are vegetarian, but the food at , lunch and dinner was of excellent quality, beautfully cooked and presented. The breakfast buffet offered good choice, and even the porridge was tasty (which is quite an achievement!). I paid £90 for bed, breakfast and evening meal, and thought it was good value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the corridor linking you to the main house (where the restaurants and bars...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us.

All our bathrooms have extractor fans and are checked daily, I hope that you reported it during your stay so we could investigate further. We are hopefully having the wing that you stayed in refurbished in the New Year and we will be looking at the floor in the corridors. I am pleased that you found the staff interaction to be excellent, this is something we do pride ourselves with at Latimer. The Restaurant Manager is very much an important person here at Latimer, we do sometimes describe him as 'Mr Latimer'

I hope that you have a great Christmas and New Year.
Bruxelles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Rudest staff I've ever met i.e. Lazy, helpless. While it was 3°C outside, heating system went down for a whole night and day (i.e. Freezing room and no hot water). They never apologised for this and even got disrespectful when we asked when it would be fixed. I would strongly recommend not to book any trip to anyond would like to spend a cheerful weekend in London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
I am sorry that you unfortunately stayed with us when our gas supply ceased in the morning. We were in the hands of the engineers to arrive on site and get us up and running again. My team have never been descibed as rude before and I am sorry that you felt that they did not handle the situation very well. Please be assured that this was an isolated incident, the second I have experienced in the last 9 years at Latimer, both times were out of our control.

With kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
Chartridge Lodge
#2 of 2 in Amersham
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#4 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to De Vere Latimer Estate? Share your experiences!