“Great hotel, fantastic venue, excellent food, all round good show!”

De Vere Latimer Estate
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
“Great hotel, fantastic venue, excellent food, all round good show!”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here on business and was pleasantly impressed by everything! This is an old mansion house converted to a modern hotel and has a few out buildings with rooms which allows the hall to be retained as a bar/restaurant/meeting place.

I was in the Mezzanine block in room 501 and this was a single room although the bed was halfway sized between a singe and a double so very roomy, very comfy and fresh warm bedding!

I paid £65.00 for the room and the breakfast was an additional £8.50. While I dont like paying extra for breakfast usually, the overall value here was fantastic. The breakfast was an "all you can eat" buffet style affair.

I look for the usual things -

Plug next to bed for charging phone - check!
Free wifi everywhere - check!
Comfy bed with duvet - check!
No nonsense check in - check!
Power shower and spotless bathroom - check!
Steam iron - check!

I ate in the bar and had a fantastic burger and a very cold pint of Stella in an environment that remained true to the design of the house while also not feeling old world and dated.

The views from the bar lounge are stunning and thankfully, although the fields below are flooding nicely, the hotel is on high ground!

I had a good stay here on business, I would return and I would recommend.....and I am very picky!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
twin2009, Front Office Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your recent stay at Latimer Place. I will be delighted to share your comments with our hardworking team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Carolyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business in February 2014. I had high expectations from the company and the imposing facade of the hotel building. There was a long delay at check in and the staff were not welcoming. My room was down a maze of confusing passages on the top floor. The room appears to be ex servants quarters complete with low beams, sloped roof and a single bed. No view whatsoever, unless you fancy an inspection of the roof tiles.

Food was average. Due to return for business at the end of February, not a visit I am excited about.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EmmaJ29
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Latimer Place, I am sorry to hear that on this occassion we have not met with your expectations. I would be grateful if you could contact me prior to your next visit to discuss your feedback in more detail, allowing us time to address the issues and ensure you have a more enjoyable stay.

Kind regards

Carolyn Hall
Front of House Manager

Travellers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My daughter got married here in December 2013 and this hotel provided an excellent service overall. The staff were pleasant and helpful, drinks and canapés were delicious and plentiful, food for the wedding breakfast was absolutely superb which is always a challenge when serving 120 people. The evening buffet was a little lacking in variety but that is my only criticism of the day.

My room in the mansion house had a large comfortable bed, was warm, tastefully decorated and the bathroom was enormous - probably as big as the bedroom!

The hotel is in a beautiful location and the view from the library over the Chess valley is a perfect backdrop for wedding photos. The driveway and entrance foyer are very imposing and again the perfect setting for weddings/functions and the library is just for me the most perfect room - fabulous big windows with amazing views, lots of old books and huge comfy leather sofas. My idea of bliss.

The only thing which lets some areas of the hotel down is that some of the décor is a little 'tired' and in need of redecoration. This however, did not detract from our day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thnak you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I am so pleased to hear that the special Wedding day went well and that you had I hope an enjoyable and memorable stay. We are continuously upgrading and decorating the venue and currently are working on the public areas and furniture.

i do hope that you will visit again for another special ocasion.

kindest regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here on business in January and it was a cold, wet and rainy night. My problems started even before I arrived at the Hotel as it is in the middle of the country, very dark with no street lighting and very poor directional sign posting, even with Sat Nav which took me up a narrow track and a dead-end. Eventually arriving about 9.30pm I couldn't find a parking space close to reception and had to park at the far end of the complex and struggle with my luggage in the pouring rain for about 150 yards back to the main hotel. Frustratingly I was not placed in the main building but in an outhouse back where I had came from and trudged another 150 yards in the rain with my luggage to the bedroom which was very disappointing and basic. No bath and cramped shower only. I then struggled to find the Bar/Restaurant area and it felt like walking through a maze of corridors to find this area which is down at the bottom and at the back of the main hotel. Very poor directional signage again resulted in me getting lost twice! The breakfast buffet was adequate but I waited almost 15 minutes before I had to approach a waitress and ask for a coffee. The waitress who was serving another table at the time just rolled her eyes as if I was a bother to her and told me she would be with me directly. After another 5 minutes of waiting with the waitress going on to serve other tables instead a quick complaint to the staff member standing at the entrance watching everything eventually got me my coffee. Poor impression of the breakfast staff who made you feel you were a pain in the neck to them for just wanting a coffee. Not customer focussed at all. Overall, a disappointing experience from start to finish and having stayed at a number of DeVere Hotels in the past I would say this standard is not what you would normally expect. Not one to rush back to!!!

Room Tip: Try not to be a bother to the breakfast staff!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
I am sorry to hear that you experienced such a dissappointing stay at the Latmer venue. We are situated in an area of outstanding nartural beauty and this does somewhat restrict us from erecting public signage. We do have three venues on site and the car park is situated centrally to all three, it doesn't help with all this rain that the country has been experiencing. I am very sorry to learn of our poor customer service standards in the restaurant and I have discussed this feedback with my managers.

A return to Latimer in the day will I am sure paint a much more pleasurable picture of our lovely estate and the area in which we are situated.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Room adequate no complaints, however I could not say the same for the food. Unless you have a car there is no choice but to eat in, however last week the restaurant was closed due to private functions leaving guests to eat in a small bar already packed with guests for the functions.

Thought I would try again this week and ordered a very simple bowl of soup with bread & butter, and a beetroot, Stilton and walnut salad, what could be easier? They came together and I tucked in, realising there was no bread & butter and no sign of a walnut I drew this to the attention of the bar staff, a small bowl of walnuts arrived for me to add to an almost finished salad and no b&b.

When I approached the staff to ask about the b&b I was told that there was no point bringing it as I had finished my soup which was my fault. Customer service skills zero, chef skills zero, couldn't care less attitude 8.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for you review on tripadvisor. I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment on that particualar evening with regard to food service. This is very unlike us and is not our usual standard of customer service, your comments will be discussed with the food and beverage departments.

I do hope that you do visit us again and have a much more pleasurable dining experience.
Newcastle
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed for 2 nights for New Years Eve wedding celebration and had a fabulous time. Rooms were lovely and the function itself was fantastic, the staff really had given it their all to ensure that a wonderful time was had by all, the attention to detail was impeccable. Food at the evening meal was brilliant and the breakfast was fantastic. I think the staff are a credit to the hotel; they were friendly, attentive and went out of their way to help you and ensure you had a brilliant stay. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
I am so very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Wedding celebration on New Years Eve. On such an important ocasion and day, all the team took it personally to ensure that is was a fantastic day.

milton keynes
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here for one night and were given a room in the Mews across from the main house, we had a ground floor room and I have to say it was very nice and comfortable. Coffee stations are placed around the entire place for you to use. The staff were lovely and very helpful. The only downside to the place is it is furnished very sparsely and could probably do with a few nice plants to accent the place. The breakfast was very good and well cooked and again the staff in the bar and the restaurant were fantastic we will definitely be back in the summer so we can go walking.

Room Tip: I would choose a top floor room we stayed on the ground floor and the people above us were very nois...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Latimer is certainly wonderful in the summer months, with fantastic views and local villages.
I am pleased to hear that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you do return when the rain finally stops.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
Chartridge Lodge
#1 of 2 in Amersham
Shendish Manor Hotel
Shendish Manor Hotel
#5 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to De Vere Latimer Estate? Share your experiences!