“Great setting”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
bristol
“Great setting”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here Saturday 8th Feb for a wedding.
When we arrived there was a downpour and the receptionist did a great job and got us booked in very fast. We were asked if we wanted to pay for our room then or to complete a pre authorisation on a card. We chose the latter not really understanding the process. More of this later.
Our room 101, was excellent, in the main house with a very comfy bed and a huge bathroom. No complaints at all.
The house is a bit of a maze but we soon found our way about. The location is wonderful, in acres of grounds with views over the river Chess.
The wedding was a wonderful event and the organisation was superb.
The following morning we thought the breakfast was superb and the staff very attentive.
On checkout I was told that if I paid by credit card there would be an additional charge but not if I paid by debit card.
I explained that I completed a pre authorisation on a credit card and was told I could still pay by debit card.
The next day I was surprised to see on my credit card a sum pending.
Thinking I was paying twice I rang the hotel and was told the charge would come off within three days.
Three days later the charge was still pending.
I rang again and spoke to Carolyn who explained the procedure and how it worked. She promised there was no additional cost and the charge would disappear in seven days. She also had taken steps to ensure that the process is properly explained. I have stayed at a lot of hotels and never had to make a pre authorisation and still cannot understand why the payment needs to be pending upto a week.
Thank you though Carolyn for the explanation.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
I am pleased to hear that the Wedding was a fantastic day despite the weather.

It is very usual procedure in many hotel and venue companies to obtain a payment method on arrival, this allows guests to open up an account to avoid having to pay for items as they are taken. We do check that the card is valid and estimate how much the room charge will come to. I am sorry that this was not explained whilst you were with us and I hope that Carolyn put your mind at rest.

Many thanks for your feedback

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
London
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We spent our Valentines weekend at Latimer Place, with dinner and breakfast included. The staff were very welcoming and helpful throughout the stay and the food was very nice. Our room size (staying in the main building) was fine but the hotel in my opinion is in need of a deep clean (particularly flooring). The pool was nice but again the changing rooms are in need of a deep clean. With a small investment cleanliness and perhaps a light referb, this hotel could be really something, the historic building is certainly very striking and the restaurant to be commended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review on trip advisor and I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do have ongoing refurbishment at all times here at Latimer. The carpets are cleaned monthly on a rolling basis and I am sorry that you felt that they appeared dirty, and we will monitor this closely.

Thank you and we do hope to see you again at Latimer.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Arrived late in the evening on Boxing Day and were directed to a room in another building. Raining but umbrellas provided. Double room was upstairs in separate building. Could barely walk all the way round the bed. Very small room. Bed comfortable. Bathroom a little grubby in places. Mentioned size of room on checkout and left contact details on a comment card. Staff uninterested in comments. Did not have any food or use leisure facilities as had an early journey in the morning. Fine for a one night stay although room very small. Would be to claustrophobic for a longer stay. Just glad we got the room at a cheap price.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for you reveiw on trip advisor, I am sorry that we did not respond to your comment card on departure, we do respond to those that request a answer and I am sorry if this has been missed. It is a shame that you did not get time to experience the facilities here at Latimer and be able to see all the great things that we have to offer.
London
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

I had a great evening off Indian food. It's my favourite cuisine and I have ate at many curry houses. And this is right up there. The room was well looked after and clean.
If i would change one thing about my stay it would be the limited taxis at the station which has obviously nothing to do with the hotel

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
twin2009, Front Office Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Latimer Place. I am especially delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Indian buffet and will pass this feedback on to the kitchen team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Latimer Place.

Carolyn
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here on business and was pleasantly impressed by everything! This is an old mansion house converted to a modern hotel and has a few out buildings with rooms which allows the hall to be retained as a bar/restaurant/meeting place.

I was in the Mezzanine block in room 501 and this was a single room although the bed was halfway sized between a singe and a double so very roomy, very comfy and fresh warm bedding!

I paid £65.00 for the room and the breakfast was an additional £8.50. While I dont like paying extra for breakfast usually, the overall value here was fantastic. The breakfast was an "all you can eat" buffet style affair.

I look for the usual things -

Plug next to bed for charging phone - check!
Free wifi everywhere - check!
Comfy bed with duvet - check!
No nonsense check in - check!
Power shower and spotless bathroom - check!
Steam iron - check!

I ate in the bar and had a fantastic burger and a very cold pint of Stella in an environment that remained true to the design of the house while also not feeling old world and dated.

The views from the bar lounge are stunning and thankfully, although the fields below are flooding nicely, the hotel is on high ground!

I had a good stay here on business, I would return and I would recommend.....and I am very picky!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
twin2009, Front Office Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Thank you for your tripadvisor review following your recent stay at Latimer Place. I will be delighted to share your comments with our hardworking team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Carolyn
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business in February 2014. I had high expectations from the company and the imposing facade of the hotel building. There was a long delay at check in and the staff were not welcoming. My room was down a maze of confusing passages on the top floor. The room appears to be ex servants quarters complete with low beams, sloped roof and a single bed. No view whatsoever, unless you fancy an inspection of the roof tiles.

Food was average. Due to return for business at the end of February, not a visit I am excited about.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EmmaJ29
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Latimer Place, I am sorry to hear that on this occassion we have not met with your expectations. I would be grateful if you could contact me prior to your next visit to discuss your feedback in more detail, allowing us time to address the issues and ensure you have a more enjoyable stay.

Carolyn Hall
Front of House Manager

Travellers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My daughter got married here in December 2013 and this hotel provided an excellent service overall. The staff were pleasant and helpful, drinks and canapés were delicious and plentiful, food for the wedding breakfast was absolutely superb which is always a challenge when serving 120 people. The evening buffet was a little lacking in variety but that is my only criticism of the day.

My room in the mansion house had a large comfortable bed, was warm, tastefully decorated and the bathroom was enormous - probably as big as the bedroom!

The hotel is in a beautiful location and the view from the library over the Chess valley is a perfect backdrop for wedding photos. The driveway and entrance foyer are very imposing and again the perfect setting for weddings/functions and the library is just for me the most perfect room - fabulous big windows with amazing views, lots of old books and huge comfy leather sofas. My idea of bliss.

The only thing which lets some areas of the hotel down is that some of the décor is a little 'tired' and in need of redecoration. This however, did not detract from our day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
twin2009, General Manager at De Vere Latimer Estate, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thnak you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor. I am so pleased to hear that the special Wedding day went well and that you had I hope an enjoyable and memorable stay. We are continuously upgrading and decorating the venue and currently are working on the public areas and furniture.

i do hope that you will visit again for another special ocasion.

kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
Chartridge Lodge
Sopwell House
Sopwell House
#3 of 10 in St Albans
Hotel ibis budget Beaconsfield

Been to De Vere Latimer Estate? Share your experiences!