“Distinctly average wedding venue!”
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I attended a wedding here in September 2011. The service was efficient and friendly but the food was awful! The wedding breakfast was poor and unimaginative and the breakfast the next morning was practically inedible! Also, many areas of the hotel are in need of refurbishment. However, the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 September 2011

The reception desk was sometimes unattended though the staff when there were very helpful as were all the staff I encountered. The range of food at breakfast was very limited but they do offer a cooked breakfast which I enjoyed.

My room (number 35) was in the old part of the house – it was large as was the bathroom but both needed to be totally refurbished. Whilst paint covered all the correct surfaces and the room still had some original characteristics – when I washed my hands in the bowl the water leaked onto the surrounding wallpaper; the bath taps dated from circa 1960 or a bit earlier. The lampshades and curtains were similarly old and the curtains had broken rails. The bathroom had flooded in the past as the desk furniture in the bedroom was damaged, as was the cornice in the bathroom indicating water had come in previously from above. The soap and shampoo were extremely basic and cheap and the towels were old and “cost effective”; no flannel. The room had arm chairs that were clean and comfortable as was the bed.

The room had a door onto a balcony, very nice other than the approx 50 cigarette butts and some broken glass indicating there had presumably been a break-in. The room has a delightful view out onto the gardens which are kept in extremely good order; beautiful.

In the bar, wine by the glass was good - providing it is from a new bottle. The initial wine served to me and others had been opened a long time ago and gone off.

Summary; parts of the hotel have character and the gardens are excellent, the staff are good, the food is OK. Some parts of the hotel including the conference room we used need to be refurbished and to do that well would be very expensive but worth the effort and the end result would be an outstanding venue. I can’t comment on the price as my room was paid for by a company.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Myself and wife attended a Wedding at the Chartridge, and also booked a room for £80 for the night, which included breakfast. The venue itself for weddings is lovely, and was well organised and run, and food was fantastic.

Our room was on the top floor of the lodge, and as it was a hot day, the room was very hot. The room had windows, but they did not open very much so was hard to cool the room down, and therefore had a poor nights sleep as was too warm, even with the supplied desktop fan. Another thing that kept us up was some staff smoking by the main entrance, below our room, in a 'non smoking area' at around 1am-1.30am, who were very noisy. The room itself was a good size, with small ensuite, which had a shower. There was no soap provided. The room needed a refurb as their was bits of paint off the walls and the wardrobe had no handle, just a screw sticking out, which if kids had the room would be dangerous. Also only 1 mug, so only 1 person at a time could have a cup of tea.
Breakfast the next morning was ok, with a good choice of cereals, and a cooked breakfast. Only 1 toaster with 4 slots, so a queue forms for toast, especially when 50 or more people are down for breakfast.

All in all an excellent wedding venue, but feel the hotel part is neglected as they put all their efforts in the wedding side of things. In terms of the room, I have stayed in nicer travelodge rooms, with better facilities and a cheaper price.

Room Tip: If attending a wedding, make sure you get the wedding discount on the room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 August 2011

A good place to stay on business, cheap and clean. Excellent service, however shame they stopped serving food at 9pm.
They have two breakfast sittings continental from 7am and full english from 7.30am. At 7.30am it is quite busy as everyone waits until then.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Booked this at the very last minute for two solo travellers. At a bargain price of £40 per night with breakfast I did not expect much but was very pleased. The place is a little out of the way but such a wonderful setting in the country. The building and grounds are so beautiful.
The receiption staff and bar man were very friendly and helpful.
Have meals from the bar menu and specials board both served before 9pm and tasted great. Very good value.
The rooms were functional, number 68 although on floor two had a very comfy queen size bed and massive bathroom.
Good TV and facilities including coffee and tea. Great nights sleep, filling breakfast...what can I say...A steal of a deal!

Room Tip: Room 68 for a big bed and bathroom!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2011

This is a staff training venue in the Chiltern Hills, a house of 1900 adapted by BOAC after WW2. It's set in a large and very well tended garden, with its own private bluebell wood set behind the manicured garden.

We were up two flights in the old house; a pleasant room overlooking the entrance, two sets of openable windows, and they were able to provide sheet and blanket as we dislike duvets. Room fine though missing a handle on the cupboard door. Shower; no bath tub.

Well cooked and presented dinner; amiable staff - the real star of the staff must be the gardener, working till late. Breakfast OK as well.

A strange thing about this stay was that having booked through booking.com and presenting at reception the printed reservation for half board, the hotel told us this arrangement did not exist, and that they would give us dinner but charge us for breakfast! In fact, the total bill in the end still represented very good value. As an old PR person myself, I think I might just have honoured the arrangement and argued the toss later with booking.com, whose mistake the hotel says it was; but negotiations were carried out with good humour and we didn't resent it! But if you're on a tight budget, an book online, just call them to check it's genuine....

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Loughtonian1
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I am pretty satisfied with my stay in this hotel. The room was clean and the majority of the staff was nice and helpful. They had this big and nice garden which i would love to discover but i didn`t have a chance to.

I had some problems during my stay though. When i first arrived to the hotel, the main receptionist girl was on the phone and there was this guy sitting next to her. When i said hello, he didn`t respond back. When i said i had a reservation for a room, he asked my name. Even though i spelled him my name- it`s a short one- he didn`t bother to find my name in a list and asked me to find my name and sign the cell corresponding to it. If you won`t look for the name yourself, why asking it? Then he gave me my keys and said i can help my self out to the second floor. I had this huge luggage and a big camera bag that i had to carry up 2 floors myself (i am a gal who is not that tall btw). I have to mention that the hotel does not have a lift and the stairs are really tight. The girl and the guy in the reception didn`t bother to come and help me even when i get stuck with my big luggage on the reception door ! The day i checked out, i learned my lesson and asked someone to help me with my luggage. Then someone really helped me. Looks like you have to ask for it, interesting....

Another thing i didnt like is i called the reception twice from my room during my stay and noone answered on either of the times.

The guy that is helping us with the breakfast was very nice and helpful. They make scrambelled eggs and things for you for breakfast but you have to ask for it. They serve only cereal, bread ,some kind of marmites ,honey and butter for breakfast. If you want an english breakfast or something, you have to ask them and they`ll prepare it for you. As i had an early meeting that day, i didn`t have time to wait for those so just ate marmite with bread. It would be nice if they had cheese, olives, tomatoes , sousages and basic stuff like that that we can help ourselves with.

the hotel is not in Chesham town center so you need to take a taxi each time you need to get to the center btw. It costs around 7 pounds.

Overall, it was a nice stay with a few problems. I would still recommend this hotel to people.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Amersham
The Watermill Hotel
The Watermill Hotel
#9 of 9 in Hemel Hempstead

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!