“Mixed feelings, off the beaten track” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Uckfield, UK
“Mixed feelings, off the beaten track”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stay away in hotels a lot and usually find it easy to write a review. But wasn't sure whether I liked this hotel or not!! I booked a single room on the day of my stay. It was good value at £40 last minute but I would not be happy to pay the normal £100. The location was remote (about 3 miles of windy and some steep narrow roads), which could be an advantage or disadvantage, depending upon the reason for your stay. The bedroom was quaint, a generous sized single bed. However, it was so hot on entering that I immediately felt ill. Soon rectified by turning the radiator off and opening the windows. The bathroom was shabby and very old fashioned, but clean. I had a continental breakfast served from 7am (couldn't hang on for the cooked breakfast). It was extremely basic, with packets of cereal, 2 fruits, yogurt and toast (cheap looking sliced bread). Good choice of fruit juice and nice coffee. I was quite amused by the portable radio in the corner of the room. Staff were welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

Booked here for a work trip. It was very good and superb value for money.
Staff were exceptional and took a huge pride in their work and the venue
Breakfast was amazing excellent food cooked to order and a great range of continental and cold options-shame the Hilton this week wasn't as good!!
I wpuld recommend for either conference or social venue.

Room Tip: Probably ask for ground or 1st floor
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed here on business everything really good everything was really good. Great staff great place to stay

• Stayed October 2011
St Margaret's at Cliffe, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

I stayed at Chartridge for a lovely summer wedding.

The venue executed the wedding very well, the staff were welcoming, the food was good and they looked after us in the evening!

The garden's are great and are bigger than you think. There is even a pitch and putt right at the back of the grounds!

My girlfriend and I stayed in the old house, which is now 3 or 4 rooms. I would recommend this as the rooms seem to have extra character. It could do with refurbishment in the near future but was not too bad. Everything was clean and the bathroom was huge.

I do however have two criticisms. The bar is simply not sufficient in size or stock. This is not supposed to be a macho comment, it really is tiny and that is not good for a wedding day. There was no premium draft lager which I think is terrible. Some decent bottled beers were available.

My other criticism concerns breakfast. After a late night which involved drinking, I was not feeling 100% and didn't know how well breakfast would go down. I was pleased to see the cooked breakfast looked good so I asked for a tiny portion (I think I had a chipolata and some scrambled egg). It is a buffet breakfast but not self service. It went down very well and I decided to have some more. A queue had since formed so I joined and was exchanging comments about the lovely wedding and meeting people who I'd not met the day before. The girl behind the breakfast bar then confronted me, noticing I was at my second visit, I took this in good humour and reminded her that I only had a tiny portion before, thinking she would not really care (there were no notices regarding a strict one visit policy). The girl then snapped that "we have 60 people to feed". I left the queue embarrassed and irate. The newlyweds had arrived and I wasn't going to kick up a fuss over some breakfast so I left it there but it was one of the worst service experiences I've ever had. They made me look greedy in front of some of my friend's family who I'd never met. I had spent over £200 on accommodation and drinks and the place was trying to present itself as classy but were prepared to be rude, in public, to a customer over a plate of cooked breakfast.

I actually started this review with 3 stars but remembering just how bad the breakfast incident was I had to knock one off. I don't want to focus on one incident but it really was that bad.

Overall it was quite a nice stay, but avoid the single chipolata with a side of public humiliation.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the old house, we had Room 4 and it was spacious with nice views.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were sooooooooo impressed with all the staff, they couldnt do enough for us. we must give special thanks to helen-the duty manager and lisa who were so amazing. they couldnt do enough for us. the food was so good me and my best man had seconds. the bar wasnt to pricey and the grounds were outstanding

Room Tip: the beds in the old part of the building are so comfy
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank george186222
Abingdon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

I attended a wedding here in September 2011. The service was efficient and friendly but the food was awful! The wedding breakfast was poor and unimaginative and the breakfast the next morning was practically inedible! Also, many areas of the hotel are in need of refurbishment. However, the grounds are beautiful.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

The reception desk was sometimes unattended though the staff when there were very helpful as were all the staff I encountered. The range of food at breakfast was very limited but they do offer a cooked breakfast which I enjoyed.

My room (number 35) was in the old part of the house – it was large as was the bathroom but both needed to be totally refurbished. Whilst paint covered all the correct surfaces and the room still had some original characteristics – when I washed my hands in the bowl the water leaked onto the surrounding wallpaper; the bath taps dated from circa 1960 or a bit earlier. The lampshades and curtains were similarly old and the curtains had broken rails. The bathroom had flooded in the past as the desk furniture in the bedroom was damaged, as was the cornice in the bathroom indicating water had come in previously from above. The soap and shampoo were extremely basic and cheap and the towels were old and “cost effective”; no flannel. The room had arm chairs that were clean and comfortable as was the bed.

The room had a door onto a balcony, very nice other than the approx 50 cigarette butts and some broken glass indicating there had presumably been a break-in. The room has a delightful view out onto the gardens which are kept in extremely good order; beautiful.

In the bar, wine by the glass was good - providing it is from a new bottle. The initial wine served to me and others had been opened a long time ago and gone off.

Summary; parts of the hotel have character and the gardens are excellent, the staff are good, the food is OK. Some parts of the hotel including the conference room we used need to be refurbished and to do that well would be very expensive but worth the effort and the end result would be an outstanding venue. I can’t comment on the price as my room was paid for by a company.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!