“Not your typical hotel but really good”
Review of Chartridge Lodge

Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Bury, Lancs.
“Not your typical hotel but really good”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Chartridge is 3 miles from Chesham and on a country lane. It's a lovely building. My room was well proportioned, clean, warm and comfortable. There's a big car park and the grounds are picturesque

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review and I am pleased thast you enjoyed your stay.

Stephen Quigley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Leyland, Lancs
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My son got married there on the 2nd Nov. We can not fault the venue or the staff for the way in which the wedding and reception was organised. The meal was excellent. All of our guests seemed to have a good time.

The one let down was the overnight accommodation. We stayed 2 nights, and as there was another wedding taking place on our first night there, access to the first and second floor bedrooms in the main 'Lodge' was via some steep and fairly narrow stairs - which proved difficult for some of the guests. As the parents of the Groom we were given one of the larger rooms in the main building - however after the first night we requested another room as two of the wooden window frames were badly swollen and the windows could not close meaning that the room was cold and draughty. Also the paint in the bathroom ceiling was peeling. The room we were allocated for the second night was a little better - though not as spacious. Sleep quality was not particularly good as the beds in both of the rooms are definitely not up to the standard of the big 'budget' chains like Premier Inn. Curtains would not close properly - and as a result the rooms never got properly dark.

I was also concerned about the apparent lack of facilities for guests of limited mobility - particularly access to the bedrooms on the upper floor. There was no lift. Whilst no members of our party required wheelchair access, a couple of guests who were due to attend had mobility issues, and would have found difficulty in getting to and from their rooms - however as it turned out they were unable to attend due to a medical emergency.

Our family group just had bar meals on our first night - which were satisfactory but nothing to rave about. The breakfasts were also of an acceptable standard.

As I said initially, all of staff were very helpful, cheerful and extremely courteous - and deserve a lot of praise.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main lodge are 'tired'. There is a newer wing that should be more comfortable..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that your sons wedding went well and I was particularly pleased with your kind comments about the team which I have passed on to them. I note your concerns about your bedroom which I have asked my maintenance department to rectify. I do understand your concerns about having no lift however we do have two rooms on the ground floor which we allocate to guests when they inform us about lack of mobility. Thank you for writing your review and once again thank you for your kind comments about the team.

Blakeney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was excellent value for money - as cheap as Travelodge, and far nicer, but don't expect top class rooms, food, or anything else, because you get what you pay for. It was a cold night, and there was no heating on, but I don't think I was the only one to ask about it, and the staff did get the boiler going. The room had no wifi, although the hotel advertised that it did, which is a draw back when you are on business. The windows in the room didn't fit well; the bathroom was a great size but in need of a refit. The menu was a joke - only two or three choices - such as fish and chips! Which was a great shame, because it could have been so much better. The fishcakes (from the starter section) I had were well cooked, well presented, even if they were straight from the freezer.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you found Chartridge to be great value for money. I am disappointed that you found the bar menu choice to be limited. I do offer 8 main cources on the main menu and then a further two specials each evening ewhich offers variety to our regulars and extra choice. I am puzzeled about the wifi. We do have wifi in the majority of our bedrooms there are a couple hovever that because of the construction of the building it is not possible to get signal. I do however offer wifi free and also in the lounges. Once again thank you for your review

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Thought we'd got a bargain. A 'Superior' Double Room and got room 90. An average room somewhere between Travelodge and Premier Inn. Noisy plumbing from next door and what looked like an Ikea bed with a rock hard solid foam 4 inch mattress (he sort zipped into cushion covers on cheap bed - settees).

Breakfast on the first morning was very good, all freshly cooked if meagre portions and sparrows eggs. The second day was much worse. We didn't getv there early enough and the bacon and sausage (singular) were looking an hour old but just about edible.

The biggest mistake however was deciding to have a meal that night. We were told that food was to be ordered in the bar (the main dining room all set for breakfast at 6.30pm.
In a tiny bar 2 of the 6 or so armchairs and a table were being used for folding table napkins into large boxes.

From a very limited 6 item menu (sausage and mash, burger and chips etc ) we chose the chefs beer battered fish and chips, thinking it a safe option. 20 minutes or so later, 2 plates were carried from the kitchen at the other end of the building and put on a very low table in front of us. We said we couldn't eat like that and were ushered into the ' smaller dining room' beside the bar. This was a big bare room with bare tables , a tv high on the wall with football on, and a big area at the front with the one other person in there playing on a pool table. We had to ask for cutlery and then had a 20 minute wait for condiments.

Of course this was all a waste of time and money, the fish was dark brown and solid. Now either chef is not familiar with this dish, or did not read the instructions on the box as it looked like one of those fish shaped frozen jobs from the supermarket. Either way it was well overdone and totally inedible. I don't believe they actually have a chef. If they have he ought to be ashamed at sending that out.

Overall, on the plus side: there was nowhere else and the price was reasonable

1 Thank Chappo2013
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Whatever about the rooms, (basic) and the mobile phone coverage,(non-existent), please eat before you stay in this 'hotel'. Dinner was a joke; I'm convinced my Salmon Fish Cakes were fresh from the freezer section of the local supermarket. Breakfast offered an half, full English and the salad at lunch was straight out of the 1960's; tomatoes and lettuce do not a salad make! Dreadful. Staff were nice and helpful; I would think it is because they get so many complaints!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mobile phone reception.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Chesham hotels

Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Do not use sat nav as it takes you the wrong way. Breakfast is good, very helpful staff. Quite a comfortable place to stay. Pleasant grounds. The pub up the road serves excellent evening meals- the one at Chartridge was only mediocre

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ashby-de-la-Zouch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here as I could not get a room at the DeVere Latimer Place. I needed WiFi and telephone connection as this was a business trip.

The first room I was allocated was a small single room(48) with rotten windows,thread bare carpets and no internet connection.....poor

I was moved to room 84 a similar room you would get at the run of the mill Premier Inn......average. The room was clean and tidy with the bed linen crisp and fresh.

The hotel showed signs of tiredness and wear and tear a throw back to the early 1970's......average.

The front line receptionist who dealt with everything that was thrown at her was........first class and I would employ her to work in my company anytime. All the staff seem well trained which is a testament to the management training.

If you are unlucky enough to be on the Vodaphone network you will have no signal throughout the hotel this is not the fault of the Chartridge but very inconvenient when holding a business meeting.

We did not eat here due to the above but ended up at The Artichoke in Amersham who went out of their way to accommodate our business needs.

Do not give up on this hotel because if you need a bed and breakfast at a average sort of price in a nice setting this could be the place for you, but not a place to conduct a business meeting.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms
1 Thank lowena7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 2 in Chesham
Hartwell House
Hartwell House
#1 of 1 in Hartwell
Pendley Manor Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West Hotel
Premier Inn Hemel Hempstead West...
#4 of 11 in Hemel Hempstead
Red Lion Hotel
Red Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wendover
The Crown Inn
The Crown Inn
#2 of 2 in Amersham

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!