“Needs a makeover”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Barnard Castle, United Kingdom
“Needs a makeover”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

We were staying as a group with friends, using 3 rooms. The rooms had been booked well ahead and adjacent rooms had been requested. Even so, my wife and I were allocated an 'upgraded' room (£10 extra) in a different building. So things didn't start well.

The room itself was modern and standard 'Travelodge' style. However:
- the bed was only 4'6" wide (though it was comfortable, this apart)
- the over-bath shower was the worst we have experienced in a long time. It was a domestic electric shower and the water flow was so weak we had difficulty in even using it.
- the room was tired and in need of a makeover. For example none of the taps had tops on.

Breakfast was OK-ish despite mildly chaotic service (I suspect they were under-staffed).

The staff were polite and helpful, though some seemed a bit inexperienced.

The best feature of this place is the large and beautiful grounds. Strolling around them helped to calm me down after some of the travails summarised above.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you for submitting your review. We have now started works on improving Chartridge as we are under the auspices of new owners. We are replacing beds and mattresses. At the moment we are undertaking back of house works to the heating system. we are updating the restaurant area. I have also agreed to the addition of a new Catering Supervisor. Thank you once again for taking the time to write.

Stephen Quigley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
MK England
Reviewed 24 March 2014

For my our birthdays we booked a 3 course meal and overnight at this lovely old hotel. Following a warm welcome we relaxed in our ensuite room before enjoying a lovely 3 course meals with the other group on guests that night. Comfortable nights sleep followed by a full english breakfast completed the treat. I thoroughly recommend the hotel for any one needing a spot of R and R!

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2750Marc
Thank you for submitting your review on Trip Advisor We are pleased that you enjoyed your weekend and your meal in the restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back and taking care of you once again.

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

We had a superior room booked but when we got to our room we thought we had been given the wrong room. Apparently not! I hate to think what the standard rooms are like as the room was smallish and very tired. However, it was scrupulously clean and actually very comfortable and perfect temperature. The food was another story, I've eaten in some top restaurants and am picky over food but it was superb. Cannot fault it at all. I even had two deserts! Breakfast was equally good- the sausage was lovely, egg poached to perfection and I loved that the beans were seperate. Great pastries on offer too. The service and staff were fantastic and can't be faulted. The gentleman serving in the dining room deserves a special mention. The place as a whole was a little odd but I would definitely go back, even if just for the meal - I want another creme brûlée! The shower was big and powerful too and we enjoyed the free pool. I can see it would be lovely for a wedding and ideal for conferences. The grounds are lovely too.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Even I find the Creme Brullee hard to resist! I am pleased that in general your really enjoyed your stay and your meal. We have now started a programme of refurbishment and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Wellingborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived at the hotel on our Groupon deal to an efficient check in. Our room (46) was quite small although clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities but it could certainly do with a little updating. Our bathroom was small and the shower even smaller!! My evening shower was hot but in the morning was only lukewarm, I have never seen a shower as small in my life. Our evening meal was excellent, although the choices were limited. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We really struggled to get any Wi-Fi connections so our overall rating of Average was based on the size of the shower, the inability to be able to get Wi-Fi and the tlc needed in the room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was an OK place to stay for one night on business, and we were part of a large group, but I would struggle to find a reason to stay longer. The rooms were clean enough, but the décor and fixtures/fittings are in definite need of an update - cracked tiles in the bathroom, a very odd plumbing arrangement with a corroded looking pipe over the bath, and a very noisy aircon/heating system which rattled all night.
The food in the restaurant was average, although I accept the fact we were a very large group, the steaks were overcooked, and my vegetarian colleague found some randomly escaped penne from the carbonara (which contained bacon), in her vegetarian gnocci!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Scotland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night on business.

The rooms are a tad small, although very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was also adequate with amenities available.

Wifi is available, although intermittent and that would be my only complaint.

I ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel and the food on both occasions was fresh and tasty and for a reasonable price.

The bar area is traditional and very cosy for an evening drink. I found the staff to be extremely pleasant, professional and helpful.

Good facilities for meetings/conferences; however, phone signal is a challenge in the area and as mentioned, wifi could be improved.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank elninomagico
HAMPSHIRE
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My parents stayed here on a Groupon offer for 1 night and paid for an additional night. They would recommend it highly. Good service, nice food and wonderful superior room. The menu was a little limited. Would return.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
The Kings Arms Hotel
The Kings Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Amersham
Missenden Abbey Conference Centre

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!