“Our Sons Wedding”

and 1 more site!
Chartridge Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chesham
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Overall a wonderful day was had by all who attended my eldest sons wedding. There were one or two minor hiccups such as a shortage of dressed chairs both in the ceremony room and for the wedding breakfast, this thankfully was solved by the two ushers in the absence of the wedding coordinator, who despite the blurb in the brochure did NOT attend on the day!! Brochure reads:--(Our experienced wedding co-ordinator will be with you every step of the way, offering exceptional dedication to ensure your desires are met.) The food was of excellent quality and served relatively quickly to the 70 guests there was however a lack of vegetables , we were told that we could ask for more but by the time they came the rest of the food would have been cold, Shame, they need to get this balance correct in the future. The rooms are a bit tired to say the least, and need a major spend on them to both update and improve the experience of staying here. The whole building looks as if it has been somewhat patched up to keep going rather than invested in as a profitable business over recent years. Given the location ,the truly magnificent grounds and the potential grandeur of the building a cash injection I feel could only bring rewards. One other major gripe my wife has is that at the end of the evening a significant amount of the wedding cake bottom tier (which she made herself) was taken away and binned. Not sure why or if they cut the whole 13" diameter cake but we were told that there was none left to send to the various elderly relatives or friends who could not attend the ceremony. We knew there was some left as we saw it taken away, but did not expect it to be thrown in the bin. We did telephone and we were told that it would be looked in to, and they would ring us back. Unfortunately they never have, hence this review. Still Granny didn't get her cake did she!!!
Only small negative things I guess, but we will remember them if our other son marries.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MelodyDerek
There are newer reviews for Chartridge Lodge

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Room was tiny, bed basically unmade, pillow cases inside out, windows disgusting and uncleaned, black mould and mildew around frames, drawers broken, TV not fixed to bracket and dangerous, peeling paint everywhere, hideous enormous mouldy damp patch on bathroom ceiling, bare concrete floor around toilet, paper thin walls meant listening to neighbour snores all night, breakfast looked off and no decaf available, only a machine, I gave up and left. Appalling place, carpets filthy, staff surly, dirty walls... The list goes on. It needs new management and closing for refurbishment. It would have been cleaner, quieter and more hygienic to sleep in the car.

• Stayed: July 2014
Chartridge, General Manager at Chartridge Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. This room was put off for refurbishment and accidental reset on the computer system. It should not have been let to you and I apologise that you were allocated the room. We have in the past suffered from lack of investment and we are now rapidly progressing a reurbishment plan. I have employed two full time maintenance people who are working through a planned programme of decorating and repairs.
Please do contact me if you would like to speak to me directly.

Stephen Quigley
General Manager.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Having stayed at Chartridge a couple of times I apologise for not leaving a review before! I can't understand what these negative comments are all about..... were these people thinking they'd checked in at the Ritz??

The staff have always been friendly and helpful, the food & drink good and sensibly priced, the rooms comfortable....... and you just can't beat the grounds.... stunning!

1  Thank Dtshaw7d

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review on Trip advisor. Sometimes it is great to hear from guests who appreciate the teams effort who I have to say are keen to make the guest experience a pleasant and happy one. Sometimes we do disappoint and we regret it when we do. It was refreshing to hear your comments. I have passed on your kind thoughts to the team.

Kind regards

Stephen Quigley

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Stayed here for a wedding. It was as if we were all an inconvenience to the staff. Some of them couldn't even smile, including the manager.The modern block was like university halls. Room and bathroom not very clean. Tired furniture.
Breakfast poor quality, dreadful scrambled egg. Cafeteria style service. Staff again miserable.
Another room in our party had a badly stained carpet. The honeymoon suite had no hot water in the morning.
The only good thing about this place is the lovely grounds but this alone would not make us want to stay again. Premier inn is far better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AngelaJG

This General Manager smiles all the time! As mentioned previously I will not respond to a guests where they make comments about others experience because they are often ill informed. Your comment about the scrambled eggs is plainly not justified. I refuse to cook the eggs so that they become hard. When there are so many for breakfast all arriving within a 20 minute period I sensible y precook the eggs to a standard. If you do not like that standard then I also have a sign on the buffet offering to cook them in a different way.

Thanks

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I am sad and tired. It would have been cheaper and less painful to have gone home by taxi rather than stay at this hotel. Actually if this hotel booked my taxi it may not have been! Myself and some friends were attending a party 3 miles up the road. We all travelled independently and used taxis booked via the reception. I queried mine as to why his meter was not working. He said it was but it was a fixed fee. Fixed by whom? By the company that booked the taxi. Really, and how much was it fixed at? £12. I wonder if the hotel gets a cut of that? Certainly on the return journey after midnight I was told to expect time and a half so choked when the driver charged £25!
Why was our room so hot? There were no radiators. I had to wedge the window open to get some cold air in. At 7AM (such was the poor quality of the pillows I was impressed I slept this long) in the morning I found out when investigating the noisy pipes that were keeping me awake. We were next to a boiler room. It was making an incredible noise and generating heat through the wall into our room.
The receptionist really did not seem to care too much when I told her. I asked her, if she thought I looked like I enjoyed being awake and this early hour? That comment was lost on her.
We had to wait downstairs until 8 AM for breakfast. I should have cut my losses and left really. The scrambled egg as others have mentioned had missed out on the scrambling stage and gone straight from cold liquid to heated liquid. Mercifully the lad dishing up the slop poured it as if it was liquid gold and I only received a tiny amount. I pondered about bulking it up with one of the dead insects on the window ledge next to my table.
Happy to hit the road by 8.30AM, that would have to be my advice, drive by, only slowing down to admire the front of what was once a long time ago a fabulous private home, then hit the accelerator and find yourself another budget hotel.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I attended Chartridge conference centre last weekend for a 50th birthday party. The venue was really lovely, grounds were spectacular and all staff were very welcoming and friendly! I enjoyed the food and the rooms were very comfortable indeed. All round an excellent stay! Natalie

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Nat251111
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I spent last Saturday night at Chartridge Lodge as we were attending our dear friend's 50th birthday party. There is not one single detrimental thing I can think to say about our stay. The room was very comfortable and clean with a well stocked hospitality tray. The staff were extremely friendly and attentive and were professional and unobstrusive during the party. A superb buffet was provided during the evening and breakfast the following morning was delicious (the scrambled eggs were soft and not rubbery) and hot... something often lacking with hotel catering. Again, very attentive, cheerful staff serving breakfast. Thank you all for your hard work (particularly Shelley, the Events Co-ordinator) in making the party a wonderful success. I would certainly recommend Chartridge Lodge

2  Thank TwiggsNorthWaltham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesham
De Vere Latimer Estate
#1 of 1 in Wendover
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
Crowne Plaza Gerrards Cross
#1 of 7 in Beaconsfield

Been to Chartridge Lodge? Share your experiences!