“Excellent in Every Way”

The Queen's Head, Chesham
Ranked #9 of 58 Restaurants in Chesham
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are delighted to announce that we will be open from 17 May. It's been a long time coming and we can't wait to see you.
Reviewed 10 July 2023

This has been mine and my family's favourite pub for a good few years now and it has never been anything short of excellent.
From the attentive and friendly staff who couldn't do enough for you, the decor reminding you of the pub's history and the fantastic Thai cuisine which (in my opinion) cannot be surpassed by any other restaurant.

I had the Pad Thai which was cooked to perfection; as someone who doesn't eat most meat I was delighted to see a large variety of vegetarian options available. There is evidently a lot of care put into each individual meal and each of my friends agreed they were perfect regarding both presentation and flavour.

The manager took fantastic care of us all and pulled out all the stops to ensure we had a wonderful time; it is evident he is passionate about the place and has a key interest in ensuring the satisfaction of his customers!

Overall, if you're looking for a relaxed atmosphere with fantastic food and wonderful staff, I'd highly reccommend this place.

Date of visit: July 2023
Tim Brown, General Manager at The Queen's Head, Chesham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2023

Thank you for your visit and your loyalty over the years, the positive feedback is really appreciated. We're really pleased you enjoyed the food and service, it's people like you that allow us to keep doing what we enjoy, so we hope you'll be back again soon for another wonderful time.

Reviewed 19 June 2023

For the last 10 years my partner and I have gone to this pub on and off. It holds special memories as the place we first met and have always gone out of our way to visit, not just for the memories, but the food too.

Today was our last visit. I don't know if it has completely changed hands but oh my.... definitely a shadow of it's former self (to be polite).

Staff - Massively understaffed - while they were very pleasant, no one came to ask if the food was OK (even after complaining about my dish which takes a lot for me to do), had to wait almost 5 minutes to be served upon entry with only two others at the bar waiting. Then the same again to order food a few minutes later with the staff member struggling to pull a peroni (some issue with the lines somewhere - not their fault but my issue here was the complaint to a regular customer in earshot of everyone else waiting about this). Shift change came after our food was served and my meal had no sauce (stir-fry dish) so I returned it to the bar explaining this. I was given an apology and told my meal would be redone. Fine - not an issue. Only it came out 1 minute later with a minute amount of sauce and was clearly the same dish (I'd broken up my rice which was as it was when i returned the plate). After this - no one came to ask if everything was OK - not good service after a customer has an issue with a meal.

Food - plain and basic - we each had the garlic and pepper stir-fry - not a hint of pepper to be found and it was rather herby - not what a Thai should taste like and nothing like we've had before (same dish, same place in the past). Portion sizes were more like a kids size or a small lunch size, and as mentioned - barely any sauce on one, and none on mine at all (image below is AFTER they added sauce). It was very disappointing knowing what previous chef's have delivered both in taste, size and presentation. We used to love this place for food - would always recommend it and took people there who were visiting but not now, could have made better at home. Fryers were broken so all but two of the starters were off leaving only prawn crackers and dim sum. We had crackers and asked for them to come out with the main - they came out first (not a major issue but a little annoying none the less). Had to leave half the rice because it was dry with no sauce to soften it and part of the rice was stuck together and hard like it had been sitting waiting to be served - worrying considering we had our meals within 5 minutes of ordering - not freshly cooked chicken then! I wonder how long it has been sitting waiting for someone to claim it? To say it was hot would be a step too far also! The only reason we ate it was because we had nowhere else to go in the time frame we had available - otherwise we'd have requested money back and gone elsewhere.

Atmosphere - challenging - while it was calm and fairly quiet within the vicinity - two tables ordered food while we were eating - (think of the bar as a square with us in a corner), both corners next to us ordered soon after us. Each time their food was ready, we were disturbed (even though we were eating), because the bar staff had added our table number to all three orders (I overheard the young gentleman delivering the food mention this on the second occasion he disturbed us - he apologised and not his fault at all). During this time another man (assume a chef) went around the bar offering a free doughnut for dessert to every table. While I appreciate the gesture, it looked unappealing and yet again, we were disturbed while eating.

Finally, we went to leave and waiting 5 to 7 minutes to pay our tab while the single bar staff made drinks and delivered them via table service to the back bar.

So in the hour we were there, we spent around 15 minutes at the bar waiting for service (granted there were apologies given but it wasn't exactly busy - the staff had no idea how to multitask or make conversation / set up orders with those waiting - it was very tunnel visioned), food was sent back and then not followed up on and it was average at best.

Extremely disappointing when we know what the pub used to be like and in all honesty, we would go elsewhere moving forward - between Chesham and Amersham there are many Thai restaurants and this place has quickly gone from the top to the bottom of the list. Couple that with a ever-shrinking menu from how it was when we first started visiting (when the food was at it's best), I can safely say we will not be returning.

I do not complain lightly - I worked MANY years in retail and hospitality, including pubs, bars restaurants (kitchen and FOH) and held supervisor roles too, I appreciate something can have an 'off day' but this was something different - many things were broken / not working, basic service and food and no connection with the customers (even after something was sent back) other than to complain or apologise for the lack of service.

Definitely won't be recommending this place again and will go somewhere where both the food and the customer service is a whole lot better.

Date of visit: June 2023
Tim Brown, General Manager at The Queen's Head, Chesham, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2023

Hi SJW19851978,

Thank you for your visit and the feedback you have left we appreciate all comments that allow us to improve our business. First let me apologise for the poor food and service you received during your time here and assure that this is not the normal standards we adhere to. You were correct in noticing there were a few things wrong on that day, a member of the team was off sick and we were unable to find cover, the fryer had broken down that morning meaning some of the menu was unavailable, it was fixed the next day, and the Peroni line had a gas leak causing some dispense issues, that was also remedied the following day.

Despite this though things should have been a lot better with the food and service, I have raised all the issues you mention regarding these, (such as the lack of sauce, lack of pepper flavouring, the small portion sizes, the dry rice, that the meal was not hot enough and the lack of a checkback, especially following your initial complaint) with our Thai team who also wish to apologise, and will be looking at their processes to try and ensure problems such as these do not happen again in the future.

With regard to the challenges around the bar service such as the complaining loudly in front of guests, using the wrong table numbers and the tunnel vision service, I will pick up these issues in some additional training with my team, where I will be emphasising the importance of engaging better with guests, especially when we are under pressure at busy periods.

Obviously it is your prerogative as to whether you wish to dine here again, but as you will know from your previous visits these aren't our usual standards and I hope that you will give us another chance.

Reviewed 29 January 2023 via mobile

As a family of 4 we thoroughly enjoyed our Thai meal in the restaurant. The room is cosy and the food was excellent and the staff very friendly. I would rate it as the best and most authentic Thai food to be found locally.

Date of visit: January 2023
Tim Brown, General Manager at The Queen's Head, Chesham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2023

Thank you for your visit, it's great that you enjoyed you visit to our Thai restaurant we hope that you'll join us again soon and if there's anything we can do to make you next visit a 5-star one please let us know.

Reviewed 21 January 2023 via mobile

Fantastic night at the Queens Head. A great choice of beers, incredible food and service. Definitely recommended, will visit again.

Date of visit: January 2023
Tim Brown, General Manager at The Queen's Head, Chesham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2023

Hi Brertin, we're really pleased you had a fantastic night and enjoyed the food and drink. Thank you for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 30 November 2022 via mobile

Thoroughly recommend the Thai food. Whilst it’s always been perfectly nice food, since the change of chef this year the food really is the best Thai food I’ve had in years. Lovely atmosphere and really cosy with the fire going in the bar.

Date of visit: November 2022
Tim Brown, General Manager at The Queen's Head, Chesham, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2022

Thank you for your visit and it's always great when we get a recommendation. We're really happy you're enjoying the food from our new kitchen team and that you like the atmosphere with the real fires. We hope you'll continue to support us this Christmas and look forward to welcoming you back soon.