Abba Garden Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
SOFIA(Barcelona)
Madanis Hotel(Barcelona)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Madanis Liceo(L'Hospitalet de Llobregat)
  • Room Service
Catalonia Rigoletto(Barcelona)
  • Pool
All reviewsnice hotelsteep hillcity centremetro stationstayed here for nightsminute walkonly downsidezona universitariarooms are cleanhotel is locatedtakes about minutesa free shuttle busimmediate vicinityquiet locationnou campwide rangeend of the day
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I needed somewhere to stay where I could work in the afternoon and stay for one night. They offered a free shuttle bus to the IESE in the morning which was great and the driver offered me a free lift to the airport in the afternoon. No tea or coffee facilities in the room. The coffee from the bar was disgusting and there was one English TV channel. Breakfast was absolutely fine. I wouldn't come here for a usual business trip or a romantic weekend. However as I was on a budget for a quick overnight trip to the IESE this was ideal.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank digitalista
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Came with 5 friends for the Barcelona match against Deportivo and had a pleasant stay. It's close to the ground and the metro is near enough if you want to go further out. It has a pleasant bar with tv and the breakfast is more than adequate and to clear your hangover the hot-tub, steam room and sauna come in handy. Overall it's very much value for money.
Steve-Wigan

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Stevew1972
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I have been here for three hours and have been profusely insulted, ignored, and then got the "I told you so" attitude from every employee I've encountered. The bar that closes at 11:30pm actually won't serve you after 11. The front desk attendant refuses to help you with ANYTHING. The bar staff is rude and annoyed. The rooms are tiny, an there is a monotonous foghorn noise that NEVER seems to stop. The photos on the website are deceiving. There is nothing around the hotel and getting to the city center from here is didficult. If you want to be treated like a decent human being, DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank christyd333
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I'm currently staying in this hotel as part of Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and the only thing I can recommend is to never stay here if you are a business traveler who may need to do some work from the hotel!

On the positive side the hotel is clean, has a pretty good breakfast and the staff are helpful. The food in the bar was also pretty good on the night I ate there so that seems OK.

However, there are some major problems from a business point of view.

1. The hotel advertises FREE WIFI on its main page of the website - it is true there is wifi available in the hotel but what they dont tell you is that it is limited to MAX of 250 kb/sec download and about 0.1 kb/sec upload so unless you are doing a quick web page browse it is virtually unusable. My work VPN would not even connect as it kept timing out its so poor. The other annoying part is that you need to keep collecting username/passwords from reception as they are single use and expire every 24 hrs.

There is a 'premium' Wifi option but that is not much better and even more frustrating is that it is again a username/password combination which can only be used on one device at a time. Not really much use in these days where you may have a laptop, phone, tablet - you'll need to purchase 3 Wifi connections per day at €9 per connection.

2. The room comes with a desk and chair so you would think, great I can work from here but guess what, even though there is phone socket on the desk there is no phone and the phone that is in the room is on the bedside shelf and doesnt work when plugged in by the desk. I rang reception to confirm and they seemed surprised that you would want a phone on the desk! So the options are either work at the desk and shout across the room to the phone or go to the phone and sit on the edge of the bed (BTW there is no power point by the bed so got to hope you dont need power by the phone!)

Considering they are charging almost €200 per night (inflated because of Mobile World Congress) the place has got pretty dreadful business facilities.

Some of the other reviews have mentioned the location and it is true its a good bit outside the city center and is at the top of a hill and a 10-15 min walk from the nearest metro but not a lot the hotel can do to fix that so I wouldnt fault them too much for those issues but they certainly can fix the internal facilities they provide within the hotel.

Overall if you are on a personal vacation and want a place a little outside the city maybe on a good rate its not a bad choice but if you want to try do some work here forget it and go somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
ElisendaMolina, Gerente at Abba Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear D&LCork,

First of all we would like to thank you for your review of your stay at abba Garden Hotel, we really appreciate it as it helps us achieve our aim to improve everyday.
Regarding the quality of our wifi, we will consider your comments and we will inform the company provider of the service, this is the first time we acknowledge that the premium service is not effective. It is possible that the hugh amount of people using the service during the Mobile Congress has affected the service.
In reference to not having a phone on the desk, is a suggestion that will be considered for the future since the desk was originally designed to work only with the computer.
Thank you again for your comments.
abba Hotels

Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

I have not long returned from the hotel after weekend break to watch the football with my 8 year old son. I had to admit that I was a bit concerned prior to going having read some of the reviews, however I need not have been worried at all.

The staff were all extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Jon in particular was brilliant, so much so that I tipped him personally at the end of our stay, and being tight have never tipped anyone before so it says something!

Yes it is away from the centre, however that is part of the appeal as it makes it quieter, and with the transport system it is easily accessible and cheap to get there. It is all part of the experience of being abroad and didn't make the weekend less enjoyable, in fact made it more exciting.

It is up a hill, but when on a break we just leave 10 minutes extra and with the warm weather took a leisurely stroll. I had an 8 year old with me and we did it a few times and he didn't complain once, just chatted away. Probably not great for elderly residents but for us it wasn't an issue.

I've read about 40 minute walks to find places to eat/supermarkets, however we turned right at bottom of hill, walked about 15 minutes to local town and found two really nice restaurants, a couple of large supermarkets, numerous small traditional bars, and even a small convenience shop run by lovely Indian guy which was open Sunday morning when everywhere else was closed.

We didn't use the pool as not heated, and it was January, however spent a few hours in the garden relaxing in the sun, then time in the Jacuzzi, which was empty of other guests.

The rooms were, large, clean, with a good range of TV channels to keep my lad happy, the mini bar was expensive, but then aren't they all.

All in all a lovely hotel, I would definitely return. Perfect for a visit for the football, just don't expect things to be right on the doorstep.

• Stayed: January 2013