“Friendly and Inexpensive”

Centre Esplai Hostel
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I decided on this hostel as I was planning a trip to watch football at Camp Nou and I like to be close to the airport which is a 20 minute walk from terminal 2 (avoid the motorway and choose the little road which runs adjacent to it called Cami Cal Mones - look at google maps). I had seen the Scam City programme on TV and avoided taxis for my entire stay, my friends who were over to watch the match also spoke of taxi scams they had encountered too.
I was greeted at the hostel by a receptionist called Marta (Martha), she was knowledgeable and informative with a good understanding of the English language - unlike my Spanish. She explained how cheap it is to travel by public transport and where to get the ticket which allowed me to travel around the whole of Barcalona on Buses and the metroline for the whole stay for just 10 euros! Thank you Martha - you are a credit to the hostel!!
The rooms are basic but perfect for a few days stay, the shower in my room worked perfectly and the water was hot although the bathroom floor is a bit grubby from soap residues (maybe a need for flip flops next time). The balcony was large and quiet, ideal for chilling out for an hour or two before heading off in to the City again. Breakfast was a typical European affair with cereal, bread, cheese, toaster and meats etc - all of which were perfect. Vending machines are full and have water and snacks if you forgot to stock up on them while you were in the city, a good place to dispose of unwanted coins too.
The local town is well kept by an army of recycling operatives and street cleaners, very much different to the last time I visited Spain - well done Spain!

Room Tip: I was in room number 218 which had a balcony with sunshine all afternoon. I think that all balconie...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Travelll11ng

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We were in Esplai last summer. I havent got very good things to say about this hostal afterwards. Stay was quite ok, although you could here what people were talking in other rooms. Breakfast was nice, reception service was ok. And first they booked us a room that had not been cleaned. We went to the room and were quite abashed.

But thing that left me bad thoughts about this hostel is: They had a confusion in reception with the time we had booked and paid the room on the internet. So they charged for an extra night. It was quite embarrasing to go to reception when room card dont work and they claim, we havent paid for our last night there.
It appeared that it was their mistake and we had been paid for right amount of nights and they promised to pay back the extra night they charged from debit card. Well, i havent received that payment back. And they didnt answer to e-mail I send, so quite poor customer service.. I must say, quite unreliable action from this hostel. Not gonna stay in this place again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank W2716OCtraveller_
Reviewed 7 January 2014

So I stayed and this location with my family as it was close to the airport and the photos looked great.

When I got the Hostel, I thought that I had arrived in the worst neighbourhood of Barcelona, it all looks a bit rough.

We stayed in a room of 4. Beds had lots of hairs in them, room was cold, not just from the constant droning air-con unit, but from the grey design of the rooms the stainless steel bathroom and its large emptiness. I/ we felt like we had spent the night in a prison.

Really for a hostel it was not that cheap. I stayed the night before in a cheaper hotel that was a lot nicer.

The guys on reception where nice and recommended a restaurant called Africa.

I would avoid staying again and would pay more for something a bit nicer.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I like it's design, his enviroment, it's breakfast is great and delicious, the bed is comfortable. It is easy to reach to Barcelona center, it will take you not more than half an hour. The price/value rate in this hostel is really good.

Altough...
...the cleanliness would be better...mostly as far as the breakfast facility concern (dirty cutleries, for example..). And, this hostel likes a concert hall. The acustic is perfect, altough unfortunately it is not a music place, that is why it would be problem you will hear every tiny noise. On top of that, the walls are really-really thin. Using earplugs is essential.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Arollo
Reviewed 1 November 2013

It was a terrible experience.
it was filthy we all got bitten by bed bugs or fleas.
There was no tv ,phone or facilities in the rooms.
it was like a youth hostel dormitory set out , 6 bunk beds,
a table one plastic chair and one towel for 4 people .
the food was terrible and cold.
the drains in the bath room stank of sewage when using the shower or sink and had huge damp patch above the shower and a hole in the wall under the sink.
there was a stainless steel sink like in a public toilet and it was alive with mosquitoes . unbelievably the guy on reception warned us the red on the taps was for cold water and the blue was for hot .which it was .says it all!
the room was not secure it could be accessed by the room next door or the shared balcony,and had lockers to leave belongings in like a public swimming pool.
the staff didn't care and were totally indifferent to our complaints.
on arrival at the bus stop in the road in the dark , 2 local police officers of whom we asked directions from warned us, "it was a very dangerous area and not to venture out in the evening due to muggers/thieves."
there is no airport shuttle bus as advertised and there was no early breakfast to take away, despite being advertised as such and me arranging for four take aways for 5 am the night before.
We were told the following morning that "they had all gone ".
Having stayed in hostels the world over including india ,and 3rd world countries this is a dump by comparison to anything. And I would highly recommend that local health inspectors visit it rather than any of your guests..... Beware . the management photos make it look quite nice ,the reality is something very different .

Room Tip: choose somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank carl g
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We chose this hostel because it's close to the airport and we arrived too late to pick up the rental car. It's reachable by bus from the airport, but it takes forever, because of the trajectory of the bus.
Location: a rather scruffy neighbourhood, with very few dining/drinking possibilities. The restaurant attached to the hostel closes early, so be prepared to walk 20' for food.
Service: basic, which can be expected in a youth hostel. Rooms are nothing special, only one towel per person is given,... No wifi in the rooms.
Breakfast: basic as well.
All in all, the price-quality ratio is good. Just don't book this hostel if you're looking for something comfortable or easily reachable.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Prat de Llobregat
Salles Hotel Ciutat del Prat
#1 of 4 in El Prat de Llobregat
2 mi away
Air Rooms Barcelona Airport by Premium Traveller
Air Rooms Barcelona Airport by P...
#4 of 4 in El Prat de Llobregat
B&B Hotel  Viladecans
B&B Hotel Viladecans
#1 of 2 in Viladecans

Been to Centre Esplai Hostel? Share your experiences!