“Great hotel”

BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel
Reviewed 7 November 2007

If you need a hotel near the Barcelona airport this is a great choice. The rooms are comfortable, the hotel has a good business center and the exercise room is available 24 hours. Plus the staff is superb--friendly and extremely helpful. As an example, I had an adaptor for my laptop but realized once there that it was not a grounded one. I asked the concierge where I might buy one and he gave me one, telling me I could turn it in when I left. When I explained I was only staying one night but was traveling on business in Spain, he told me to simply keep it.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,301)

Reviewed 21 October 2007

I stayed in this hotel as a last minute resulting from flight problems on the 21/October/2007.

1.The cost of the hotel room was initally 110Euro/night when i first called for ask for a quote. On calling again 20 minutes later to book i was told that the price had risen to 210Euro/night due to high demand for rooms. At this stage i was unwilling to pay such high price so delined. Approximately 30minutes later on finding no other available accomodation in Barcelona close to the airport i was forced to call the renaissance hotel again to book a room. On my third phone call i was quoted 170Euro/night.

This was my first issue with the hotel, how could the price vary over 100Euro for the same room over the space of 60minutes?

2. The shower head in the room was broken and flooded the bathroom floor and the bedroom floor. We used our towel to stop the bedroom getting more flooded.

3. When eating at the extremely overpriced hotel bar, staffed on a saturday night by just one extremely busy lady, I had to cancel my meal as there was a vile smell emanating from somewhere in the bar. The smell was raw sewage and a number of people got up and left the bar as a result of the foul odour. I felt ill after the experience.

4. I made a complaint regarding the foul odour and broken shower to the manager on duty a blonde lady who did not care at all and was not at all helpful or sympathetic.

5. On getting nowhere with my complaint i wrote a letter there and then to the general manager who was 'not on duty at the weekends'. I requested a photocopy of this letter and was told by the same 'manager on duty' that i was "sad" and that there was no need to write a letter of complaint.

6. I requested 2 bottles of water to my room as i felt so ill after the foul smell while eating. The manager on duty agreed that these would be sent to my room immediately. This water never arrived. I left at 4 am the next morning to catch a flight and i could not get out of this excuse for a 'four star hotel' quick enough. The worst hotel experience i have ever had. A bad end to a great holiday in barcelona.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank AoifeWestofIreland
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We had stayed at the hotel before our next day post cruise flight. It was about 10-15 minutes from the airport. Shuttle was available to/from the hotel. It also provided a shuttle to Plaza de Espana so you can start your sightseeing of Barcelona from there. The concierge was very helpful. The lady who checked us in was very helpful, the rooms were not ready since we arrived at 9 am (staright from the ship) but she was able to check us in anyways. We just had to pick up the keys when we got back from sightseeing.The porters were able to put away our luggage until we came back from sightseeing.

The hotel itself was modern but inviting. The rooms were as usual excellent. We had a laugh about the lighting in the room..you had to insert it on a reader for u to control the lights..It had energy saving convenience. The bathroom had an open walk in style..that was a little messy for my taste. There was water everywhere. Thank goodness there was plenty of towels. Otherwise it had the modern conveniences.

Definitely will stay here again and hopefully use more of their amenities. It was convenient location to airport. I would suggest to take the free shuttle to/from airport instead of using taxi. Taxi can cost you about 20 Euros to airport. They run at 5 am, so if you can schedule your flight later in the morning, it would be excellent savings.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank genav811
Reviewed 3 October 2007

Please read before you decide to stay here. I booked this hotel for a 1 night stay after a wonderful mediterranean cruise. What an awful mistake. The price was great, but you get what you pay for.

Here are the pluses:
1. Comfortable Bed

Here are the negatives:
1. Front desk was very slow. The lady had to keep going into the back to ask questions. Obviously she was in training, but it was very busy, and they should not be training someone during peak hours. I had to wait 3 hours for my room.
2. Ice machines all broken.
3. Food overpriced. Ate at the bar downstairs. $40 for individual caesar salad and individual pizza, small bottle of coke.
4. Waitstaff were rude and kept speaking negatively about guests (I speak some Spanish, so I knew). The door to the kitchen slammed very loud everytime people entered and exited.
5. Pool area disceiving from websit e pictures. All dried grass around pool. No cement. Ugly surroundings, office buildings.
6. Cut finger on the plastic edging of pool.
7. They lost my luggage, and when it was found, I had to carry it up from basement on my own. The elevator did not go down there.
8. Elevator was broken everytime I wanted to use it. Management had to use a special key.
9. No stores anywhere to be found. Had to take hotel shutttle to airport for snacks and water. No store on premise.
10. Had an early flight the next day. shuttle service promised every 15 minutes, but that a.m. it was every 30. Forced to call a cab to catch my flight. There were about 50 people waiting for shuttle to the airport at 530 am.
11. Shower head was unusable. When i turned on the water, the shower head and hose attachement had water spraying all over bathroom.

I contacted the Marriott/Renaissance customer service to voice my complaints. They could not do anything but send a letter to the hotel directly to inform them of my problems.

I received an email from hotel stating that "They are working to make the hotel Marriott Quality". The did not offer any compensation.

I contacted the customer service again and told them about the email and that the response was unacceptable. The hotel then decided to credit me my $40 lunch.

It was a horrible end to a trip of a lifetime. I should have stayed at the Grand Marina!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
3  Thank cruiseexpert
Reviewed 1 October 2007

First of all, I'd like to counter some of the earlier reviews. The hotel wasn't difficult to find. It's well sign-posted from all directions. Yes, it's on a business park, but from a location point of view, you were completely unaware you were right next to an airport. Very peaceful.

Check-in and out was quick, efficient and the three staff I met during that time were very polite, spoke good English and helpful.

My room was spacious...had a very large and comfortable bed and the equally large bathroom was noteable for its twin sinks and counter, all moulded from frosted glass, with modern tap fittings.

But there were a number of aspects that let this hotel down.

Although the bathroom gave the room a unique touch, the fact that there was a plug socket fitting hanging from the wall was worrying, as were the two damaged light switches, all too close to running water. And the fancy shower head wasn't fixed securely enough to the holder (nor could it be tightened), so at full force, it directed a firm stream of water across the room and ceiling.

The TV was only capable of showing TV channels. All of the other publicised added value services didn't work.

On the Sunday evening I was there, the restaurant was only offering a buffet. The food was good....your choice was cooked to order, but the fact that only one of the five staff on duty spoke any English meant that (a) it wasn't immediately obvious that it was buffet service only, (b) the "translator" was required by most of the English speaking guests to place their orders with the chef and (c) it wasn't always clear what you had to wait for and what exactly constituted a part of the buffet.

Breakfast was very disappointing in terms of quality. I was one of the first there after it opened at 6.30am and the "hot" food was already cool. Not very appetising I'm afraid and not worth the €18 per person charge.

This is obviously popular hotel. My shuttle back to the airport was full...but the place was generally very quiet. So, as one other reviewer said, it's a good solid airport hotel. But if you have exacting culinary tastes, then you may be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank BritTraveller68
Reviewed 18 August 2007

I arrived at Barcelona airport at 22:30 on a Friday in July and thought that the whole world must have arrived on the same flights given how busy it was! Unable to find the hotel shuttle I took a taxi to the hotel. The taxi driver had not heard of the hotel and so I was glad I had written the name and address down. As is common with taxi drivers, even although the meter read 4 Euros he insisted that the minimum charge was 18 euros! The hotel is 6 mins drive from the airport on an office / industrial estate.
Check in was painfully slow with lots of typing away at the computer (why do receptionists do that?). Even although I had booked two twin rooms months prior, they only had two king rooms to give me on check in.
The hotel itself is very modern and very pleasant. The main reception / bar area is open plan. The pool looks nice although seems to be surrounded by office buildings. The rooms were very well appointed and well maintained. The bathrooms were very clean. One minus point was that my room had a semi-open shower which was not quite a wet room and just resulted in the floor becoming very wet! Nice range of toileteries though.
My main complaint is that I arrived at 22:55, tired and hot after delayed flights in July. I could not get anything to drink or eat at the hotel. The bar and restaurant were now closed (is this Spain?). I found the 24 hour room service menu and tried to phone down to order. After trying 5 times I could get no answer from the front desk or any other number. I then went down to the reception and queued for ages. Finally I ordered my food and returned to my room to wait. 50 mins later there was no sign of the food and again nobody answered the telephone. Again I returned to the reception and was told that there was only one person to staff room service and housekeeping - and it would be another 15mins at least. I cancelled it and went to bed. There was a kettle in the room with a range of herbal teas! - no coffee and no milk!
One plus point is that the breakfast was very good with a wide range of hot and cold items - worth the money. I managed to easily take the shuttle bus back to the airport in the morning.
In summary: nice hotel but (a) find the shuttle bus - at the head of the taxi queue - if not write the name and address down, (b) arrive before 23:00 and (c) bring your own milk, coffee and food if you arrive after that.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Superdocuk
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Our expectations were low having read reviews, but it really wasn't that bad. We used Marriott Reward points and were given a room in the Elite Zone, which means free breakfast (good choice of food including scrambled eggs), snacks/soft drinks available all day, and tapas/alcohol available in the early evening with dessert later. All this in an enclosed relaxing lounge area close to reception with daily papers available too. We quite liked the pool area, not perfect (close to a building site) but the pool itself was fine and more than one might expect from an airport hotel.
On the downside, our key cards failed to work on more than one occasion and we saw huge queues at check-in after the arrival of overnight flights.
The location is very close to the airport and 10-15 mins taxi ride from downtown (12-15 euros). Airport shuttles depart every few minutes. There are 4 free and very useful shuttles into town each day. A further bus in the evening would be great!
Staff were helpful and pleasant. Take a the hotel name and address with you to show taxi drivers because most of them have never heard of it and would have no way of knowing that it was a "Marriott" so there's no point asking for that!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
FrontAir Congress
FrontAir Congress
#3 of 3 in Sant Boi de Llobregat
Air Rooms Barcelona Airport by Premium Traveller
Air Rooms Barcelona Airport by P...
#4 of 4 in El Prat de Llobregat
Ibis Barcelona Cornella
Ibis Barcelona Cornella
#2 of 4 in Cornella de Llobregat

Been to BAH Barcelona Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!