“magical experiance”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Akaslompolo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“magical experiance”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

we recently stayed at the akas hotel, and could not fault anything. I am glad we choose the hotel and not the cabins as getting in and out of the thermals could be a pain when going for something to eat, the advantage of staying in the hotel meant you could leave your thermals in your room.The rooms were basic but clean,with a tv, tea coffee and shower. The pool looked fun but we never had our swimming stuff but was told it was very cold. We arranged the break through Holiday choice/Inghams and it was very well organised.
The food was good, a few choices of mains with plenty of side salad,bread etc, a good selection for kids also, mine were very pleased to see hot dogs! Breakfast was nice, bacon, scrambled eggs, beans etc.

2 Thank Stacy658

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
Warrington, Cheshire
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We have just returned from a fantastic 3 night stay here, booked via Inghams.

We booked the Kanvera Studio (28m2) and were given room 102 - great location very close to the restaurant (could walk in approx 30 seconds which was great as didn't have to wear snow suit/boots).

There was always a choice of meals in the evening, one evening it was Salmon or Lamb (both very tasty) on last night we had a traditional Christmas meal.

The hotel was clean and tidy. Our room had microwave, kettle, coffee maker, hob, dishwasher, washing machine we also had a drying machine in the entrance porch which we could set the temperature and also time to dry the ski suits off which was great.

Gala meal was great - I'm not sure though if it's the hotel or Inghams that organised it.

The Inghams reps were exceptional - nothing was too much trouble, the Santa workshop was great, we didn't feel rushed at all when it was our turn to meet Santa.

We did Husky & Reindeer Safari and Snowmobile Safari - it deffinately works out better to prebook these in the UK we paid £211 for them all (2 ad & 1 ch) and if we'd have booked them locally it would have been 305 euros.

We took our own sledge after reading the comments on here but to be honest there were loads all over the place - I'm not sure whether the resort was a little quieter than when the other guests stayed there.

All in all we had a fantastic trip.

4 Thank Joess
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed in the Yllas Log Cabins on a half board basis using this hotel for meals, travelling with Inghams. Limited selection, often food served tepid or cold, always chips and bread available at meals to fill yourself up. Gala Santa Xmas dinner disappointment.

1 Thank Jenny1Devon
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Wow!!! we got back from lapland this afternoon. It was an amazing experience. I booked it and went with my sister. All of the staff where fantastic. no problems at all. the rooms are very basic but you have gone there for the snow, santa and scenery! Not the room! It was clean so no complaints. Although i did hear if you get the chance to book an appartment as these are apparently very nice. Everywhere in the hotel grounds is lovely. a supermarket just down the road. Lapland is on the euro so very expensive for everything.
Trips: What you get with the package is more than enough however i suppose if you are only going to lapland once then you should do more. We decided to do the reindeer safari and it was fabulous. We ever saw the northern lights!!!
Food : The hotel food is horrible i wont lie!! We did go hungry. We did have chip buns every day haha! but again its such an experiance that it didnt matter.
Staff: Lovely staff got no complaints. Wishlist laura is very helpful and both entertainers are lovely!:)
When you go for your dinner you can hang up your snow suits i did so and someone took mine!!! i dont quite understand why but there we go ! some strange people in the world i guess?! I got a new one straight away as i got intouch with the entertainers and they drove and got me one! so kind as it was minus 25 so no way i would have been warm enough haha!
Before you go make sure you have lots of thin layers this was a good tip and this keeps you alot warmer than thick layers?! Two pairs of socks. thermals i would reccomend too.
I cant think of anything else i wanted to say. But the holiday was AMAZING from start to finish and i would reccommend it to anyone that asks:) We acted big kids again at 21 and 16 haha! ENJOY!!!

Room Tip: Get an appartment if you can!
1 Thank Princessabbi21
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Went to the snow elf last week and had a fab time. Kids entertainment at night - Thomson the dog telling stories for the younger kids and then a disco afterwards 8pm-9.30 (selected nights)
food was limited but very very nice.
They had what I'd call a 'holiday full english'. bacon, hot dogs sausages, beans, egg etc aswell as loads of fruit/bread/cereals etc.
Full board but soft drinks and warm drinks ie tea, coffee and hot choc all inc at meals times. Drinks at the bar are expensive but we didn't stay out late anyway as no kids in the restaurant/bar after 9pm, which is just as well cos they're all worn out from the days activities!

Laura was fab, always knew the answers to our questions :) Studolph fab as well. Lovely staff.

Stayed in a log cabin, was out of this world! Sauna, log burn fire, all the stuff you need to cook yourself even though we were full board. Just beautiful :)

Fab hotel, would love to go back soon :)

Room Tip: Cabins were fab, even though we thought we'd booked the hotel we ended up in a cabin which was U...
Doncaster
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I would never book any holiday or overnight accommodation without first consulting Trip Advisor, and this is the first time ever that I have been let down.

We were given our key for our apartment on the coach to the Hotel, and were dropped off right outside the Apartment blocks. We opened the door to the apartment and could not believe how dirty it was, firstly we thought that guests were still in there, but it had just not been cleaned from the previous guests. Food all over the worktops, dirty cups, and badly stained towels all over, not what you want your children to see and defiantly not after paying the extortionate tour operators prices for a 4 day break.

When I finally found the reception, I was told I was to wait 3 hours for the cleaners, I was also astonished to find several people in the same predicament, one guest that was staying in the hotel did not get her room key until later that evening.

I found the staff to be abrupt and unfriendly, and on a couple of occasions, if I had not noticed I would have been short changed at the bar – so watch your change!!

Food – Appalling. Breakfast consisted of cold boiled eggs, scrambled egg made with egg powder (this looked awful), mini hot dog sausages, bean juice, and bacon. You can make yourself a waffle, although on the first morning the waitress unplugged the machine in front of me while I was stood there waiting for it to be cooked. The choice on an evening was limited to one – two choices, and I had to laugh when I looked at the menu and the child option that day were: Chips!!! And unless you stood and waited for the chef to replenish food, the food would be just warm. I must say that the bread was very good.

Pool – Everyone was complaining how cold the water was in the pool, my daughter did use the pool for about 15 minutes but soon got out as it was so cold, I dipped my toe in and decided to pass!

Although I never experience the noise, a lot of people who were staying in the hotel were upset about the tractor scraping the fresh snow from the car park in the early hours of the morning.

I would have expected in our room some form of tea/coffee making facilities, but it had nothing, not even a kettle, however the room was very spacious and warm, and the sauna was fantastic. TIP: to lock your door all you have to do is slam the door, nowhere does it tell you this, and to get fire logs for the fire there are wood huts outside where these are stored and free to take.

I booked this hotel from Trip Advisors recommendations, because it had a pool, and for the promise from the tour operator it was child friendly. All children had to leave the bar at 9pm, soft drinks were €3.75 and there were very limited sledges – so I would find one on your first day and hold onto it!

We did get the bus from the hotel to the local ski slopes, €3 per person each way, these run very frequently and it was a great day out.

For people who are travelling this year, I would recommend you take extra food, for people who are thinking of booking in the future, I would think twice, although the cleaning issue may have been a one off.

Although I was very disappointed with the whole experience, our daughter had a fantastic time which is all that matters, but equally she probably would have just been as happy anywhere with other children, a sledge and snow!!!

1 Thank Rachel4444
Doncaster

2 Thank Rachel4444
Also consider these accommodations in or near Akaslompolo
Lapland Hotel Yllaskaltio
#1 of 8 in Levi
Hotel YllasHumina
Hotel YllasHumina
#1 of 5 in Akaslompolo
Hotel Hullu Poro (Crazy Reindeer)
Hotel Levi Panorama
Lapland Hotel Sirkantahti

Been to Lapland Hotel Akashotelli? Share your experiences!