“Everthing I could have imagined a lapland trip would be”
Review of Hotel Yllasrinne

Hotel Yllasrinne
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Yllasjarvi
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Everthing I could have imagined a lapland trip would be”
Reviewed 10 January 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights in a Log cabin just before chirstmas 2007 with a 3 and 5 year old. It is a wonderful place, I was a bit worried that the trip would be a bit tacky and false but it wasnt at all, think this resort helped as it was really quiet. Couldnt fault the Log cabin for 4 of us but it may have been a different story if more of us were staying in the cabin as you have to use a ladder to get to the top floor, think my 3 year old would have struggled with this and I would have been worried if they got up in the middle of the night. We went with Cosmos and I couldnt fault the tour reps at all, the whole operation was very slick and professional. My only major gripe was the food, the adult food was OK, but the kids food was a bit limited and we did struggle to find things that they liked, basically chips and chicken nuggets, pizza that kind of thing. All I can say is thank god for Cucumber, but it was only for 3 days and I havent heard of anybody starving in 3 days. All in all this was a lovely place to stay, a magical experience and everything that I wanted out of a christmas lapland break, Oh and the Father Christmas was a lovely Father Christmas, the traditional type. The activities were good, we didnt actually pay to do anything else, we were just happy playing in the snow. They did seem quite expensive. I would have no problem recommending the Log cabins to stay in, only word of warning was the food, not bad but could have been better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Jenkel

Solo
Business
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 January 2008

I have always dreamed of visiting Lapland and in December 2007 I finally got to do it! We have an 8 year old son and decided that this would probably be our last chance to take him so that he could experience the magic of visiting Father Christmas in his home country. We saved and saved and saved up to do this and we were absolutely NOT disappointed. It was the most magical experience in the world and I would recommend everyone tries it.

We booked our experience through Cosmos as following a lot of research I discovered that they have an excellent reputation for this type of holiday as they have been in the market for quite a long time. The holiday from start to finish, the reps, hotel, activities, organisation was first rate and I can't praise it highly enough.

Cosmos have 3 locations to experience Christmas in Lapland and we chose the one we thought would best suit our needs - Yllasjarvi. The photos in the brochure and the description of the area and the hotel seemed perfect for us - quiet, beautiful and lots of snow!! The other main resort in Finnish Lapland is Levi and we did get a look at that one first hand - I was very glad we chose Yllasjarvi - Levi was a bit like Blackpool with snow, our resort was more like Paradise with snow. Only 2 shops and they were a 40 minute walk away, which none of us braved. It was peaceful and idyllic.

The moment you arrive at Gatwick airport check-in you are treated like royalty. There was a red carpet with 'Welcome' written on it at check-in, along with Elves bearing chocolates (at 5am!!), Rudolph the Reindeer, Hal the Husky and a Jester entertained the kids in the queue to check in. The kids were absolutely mesmerized, it was brilliant! All the kids got santa hats and badges and the fun and games continued at the gate (and more chocolate!) - Rudolph and Hal even saw all the kids onto the plane and wished them a happy holiday.

The Cosmos reps were there to meet us at the airport and we were all kitted out for the Arctic weather. We sang christmas songs and played games on the 40 minute transfer to the hotel and the kids even got a quick glimpse of Santa in the forest from the coach - a fantastic and memorable moment.

On arrival at the hotel we were checked in very smoothly. Ok now for the details on the hotel:

Reception & Bar area - small, but very efficient. Drinks were very expensive, but this is normal in Finland wherever you stay.

Rooms - very clean, quite basic and small but we didn't spend that much time in the room, so it really didn't matter. The beds were incredibly comfortable, but I think I could have slept on a washing line as we were so tired at the end of enjoying every day there. We had a small fridge and a television that we were able to watch as they get English speaking programmes/films with Finnish subtitles - result! Only 2 negative comments I would make are that there is insufficient storage considering how much stuff you have to bring with you to keep warm outside, so we didn't even bother unpacking, and you had to be quick with the hot water as it ran out. There were 3 of us and if you got the last shower it ran cold if you weren't quick enough!

Food - we were full board and you get 3 good meals a day. It wasn't that imaginative but we definitely didn't go hungry. The Christmas Gala Feast on the last night was an improvement - a lovely buffet and a proper Christmas dinner - yummy!!

The most fantastic things about the hotel were the breathtaking views from whichever window you happened to look out of and the fact that it was really warm, friendly and comfortable. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The hotel also has log cabins that you can book instead of the hotel rooms - if I ever go back I would definitely go for one of those. They are larger than the rooms and have a drying room (very useful!), a sauna and a lounge/dining area.

All the activities we enjoyed during this trip were of a high standard and it was just fantastic to watch the children's faces throughout. If any of them went there having doubts about Father Christmas' existence - they went home firm believers. I was even starting to believe it myself it was all so well done.

To finish my review I would say that this is a very expensive 4 day holiday but worth every single penny. I would also recommend Cosmos as their reps are out of this world - special thanks to Jamie (we were in Jamie's Jingles!!) - he was totally brilliant and worked so hard to make sure we enjoyed every moment. The rest of the Cosmos team in resort were fantastic too - thank you all for giving us a holiday and an experience that we will cherish and remember forever.

• Liked — The warm and friendly atmosphere and the spectacular views all around
  • Disliked — Small rooms with inadequate storage
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank How2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yllasjarvi
Lapland Hotel Yllaskaltio
Golden Crown Levi Igloos
Lapland Hotel Saaga
Lapland Hotel Saaga
#1 of 3 in Yllasjarvi

Been to Hotel Yllasrinne? Share your experiences!