“Avoid at all cost!”

Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Dassia
Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all cost!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

One or two staff were great lil tip and they're ur new best mate, fair play money is scarce in Greece, however after reading reviews I was to say the least concerned but went with an open mind, our drinks were never limited and food was ok, they never complained if we left some or went for seconds, however if went with teenagers that aren't fussy eaters, I said a few times if they were young it would've been a night mare! Maybe that was because we spent most of the islands 2014 budget there oh and they were extra nice cuz we had four teenage girls, theft is rife do not leave any thing of any value in attended ie phones,cameras, wallets all of these went missing my iPhone 5 was stolen from my underwear draw and other people were robbed to, the vile reception staff weren't interested at all even though we spent plenty and paid for aircon, spoke to the young barman about my phone his response was simple when he finished his smug laugh " lady this is Corfu we are very poor island, if some one finds iPhone they are keeping"

• Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Lisa J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Yes its a bit run down and grotty but so is most of the area of Dassia,Staff were lovely friendly and welcoming,The place was clean and the swimming pool was sparkling cleaned nearly every day.The karoke night the other day i never laughed so much.This hols was was all i could afford and i got my moneys worth.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank fairywing
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Hi there,

As mentioned before by others. you get what you paid for. We paid around £10 per day each for all inclusive!!!! I wasn't expecting much and that is what i got ! Fair deal seems to me. Rooms were clean, food acceptable at best but for £10/ day I was happy. The staff could be more polite and hospitable as it really does not cost anything but i guess that for what they get paid the do not have the will or power to smile. On the other hand if you don't like the job then leave it... I worked 15 years in hospitality for various pays and always was nice to customers.....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank b0santa
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Overall, our stay at Telemachos hotel (12-26 Sept 2013) was not too bad. But then we had only booked B&B accommodation. I will try to give as accurate a review as I possibly can- good and bad. Here goes:

From speaking to other guests at this hotel, it appeared that the food was the main issue that upset them- the more food that they "paid for" the more upset that they became. We found food was of generally poor quality- unless you took the Greek option (olives, feta cheese, bread, Greek yoghurt...). If you expected or took what they would class as a "full English breakfast", you would be rather disappointed, even if it did consist of eggs, bacon, sausage and beans...

What my partner and I found was that they gave you two fried eggs- one on top of the other- the top one was OK- even if the yoke was a bit solid, but the lower one had a rather grey / brown looking yoke and tasted / smelt off / bad. I suspect the lower eggs were the previous days eggs- which may have been re-cycled several times. (I avoided the eggs altogether after this experience).

The beans they had to fish for in a very watery juice- so they were probably the kind of beans you buy from Poundstretchers or the like for 2p a can. The bacon was streaky bacon, with not a lot of meat on, and the sausages were a kind of frankfurter- basically a hard garlic-flavoured hot-dog.

If you want the breakfast, you had to be quick. It was served from 8 am until 9.30 am, so if you were off on an excursion and had to leave at 7.30, or you overslept- you missed out. (Might be a blessing). TIP: Go to the bottom of the bank, cross the road and get your breakfast at Mama Taka's. €5 for Full English, with a coffee. Much better! And you can watch Sky Sports there too. (You don't have a TV in your room at Telemachos).

I can't comment on the evening meals etc., as we didn't have any, but speaking to those that did- they said they were very cheap "chips and beans" type meals. Those having paid for "All Inclusive" found it to be a rather expensive holiday, because after 1 or 2 days of this kind of food, they ate out.

There are basically 2 bars at the hotel, one for All Inclusive, one for B&B / Half board etc. We bought our beers (€2 for a quarter litre / half pint of draught, or a bottled Mythos, Alfa etc) at the B&B one, and had no problems- the beer was fine, but once there was nobody serving here so I went across to the All Inclusive bar and got 2 beers- the difference was immediately noticeable. The beer tasted like a watery home-brew!

The beds are basically single camp beds- so don't expect to cuddle up with your loved one at night. They are quite hard too, so you may need a massage during your stay! The balcony's outside each room are nice and big though- easily big enough for a sun bed. There was no shortage of sunbeds either. On the downside, if you want a shower, you have to either hold the shower head, or balance it on a wire cage.

We paid €90 for air conditioning for the duration of our 2 week stay. We decided to pay for this as it was rather uncomfortably warm and stuffy in the rooms without this. We can appreciate that being hit with this additional cost right at the start of their "fully paid for" holiday, may annoy many guests. If you don't pay for this, sleeping may be quite difficult.

That's if you can get any sleep over the karaoke music that blares out so loudly that it would drown out concorde taking off! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't the same stuff again and again: "If I said you had a beautiful body would you hold it against me", "Kingston Town" etc etc. Themselves not too bad songs, but being sung by people that can't sing (or were they deliberately singing as badly as possible?) until about 1 am!!! TIP: Pack good ear-plugs!

The hotel itself is at the top of a bank, that gets a bit steep towards the top, so proves a bit of a climb in the heat of a hot day, but the views are nice. The hotel is located at the bottom (Daphnila Bay / Gouvia) end of Dassia, so you have a ~300 - 500 metre walk into the centre of Dassia, but it is convenient for the supermarkets at the bottom of the bank.

The pools at the hotel were good and clean and the staff we found to be very good and friendly, but if I was to return to Corfu I would look to go to another hotel. Dassia does not have much of a beach. I think I would aim to be based at Paleokastritsa, Sidari or Kassiopi.

I suppose a hotel has to make a profit. This hotel was one of the cheapest around, so to make a profit to pay the staff, and maintain the hotel the costs had to be cut to the bare minimum. This might be just €5 per guest per week! This, unfortunately, has an impact on the quality of the food supplied. Don't expect good quality food if you have paid a very low price. I would say use this hotel as a base for travelling around Corfu- Dassia is good for excursions, souvenir shops, car / boat / quadbike / scooter hire, cocktail bars etc. I would, however NOT recommend this hotel for anything other than Room Only or B&B accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AdrianA827

Travellers are raving about these Dassia hotels

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

OK so here is my opinion on the hotel.... reading all those reviews I got really upset and unable to sleep for some time. At the end just decided to go with it taking into account we only paid a little bit over £110 for a week of all inclusive ... upon arrival we prayed silently it was not our hotel due to the hill but it was... the manager told us to go for lunch and then come to check in.I guess it could feel a little rude at first but once we had a little chat everyine was really really nice to us. We decided to pay extra for the upgrade and got a spacious room on the second floor with huge balcony.

The room was really clean with liads of space comparing other hotels we stayed in. The bed was made up everyday and clean by hard working maids, bathroom the same. The walls had a little wear and tear some small marks on the walls but nothing too bad. The towels were changed daily which we did not neccessary want but could not do much about it.

The pool area was not the greatest but the pool and area were clean. We are not into staying much at a hotel as we prefered to move around and only used pool on 2 short occassions. We did not really bothered with pool snacks as there was not a lot of variety but as I mentioned we did not stayed around too much. We did nit drink too much too as there was not a lot of choice for alcohol.

Food was really good. Not a lot of choice but we always found something to eat and were not hungry. The cook Derek was very nice and always happy to have a quick chat and a joke. As we were out a lot we only had breakfasts and dinners with the first one was a little more dissapointing. Once again there was bread some meat slices marmalade muslie and cornflakes, fresh tomatoes and fetta cheese. Also a yoghurt with canned (so what) peaches and honey. For hot things you could choose eggs, beacon, baked beans and sausages. You have to remember that the food is a bit different when made in Greece so of course it will taste and look a bit different. For dinner there was always a meat dish, lovely rice, pasta with some cooked or fresh vegetables. For a dessert you had fresh watermelon or cake. The best time to eat was to go there as soon as it opened so the food was still quite hot. I Recommend reading a little about greek culture to understand that the food is not too hot and why.

Ok so to summarise our experiance at the hotel we say you get what you pay for. It was not the worst hotel we stayed at but of course there are things that could have improved. The staff was very friendly room was clean. I think a bit more variety in food and alcohol coud help but I guess with limited budget it might be hard t be achieved.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank MonKo81
scotland
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel was average but nice and clean, staff were very friendly couldn't do enough for you, there was a hill to get up to hotel, but by end of week I had leg muscles like no other lol, the hotel all inclusive finished at 9.30pm, afterwards the other bar was quite expensive, karaoke in the hotel was such a laugh, only entertainment of the week, the hotel food was, only what the chef could do with his budget each day, one meat dish in the evening and one pudding either cake or water melon alternating each night, i lived on lettuce, onion and tomato pasta, bread, the town of Dassia is small and each shop had very friendly and obliging people, especially the cake shop, with homemade cheesecake to die for, take the bus into Corfu town for only 2 euros each, all in all, the week was relaxing just what we went for

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Annette C
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just returned from the Telmachos in Daccia and worst holiday in 20 years.
Mostly all of the bad reviews are spot on.

Most of the staff are rude and the food is inedible.
Watered down beer, Ouzo and a few soft drinks seem to be the only drink available all inclusive.
The bar closes at 1am and they put you to bed at 01.30 even if you are only sitting talking quietly and shout at you if you dont go.
Staff enter rooms without permission and young girls who have no interest in certain barmen are terrorized until they finally leave.
All in all it will be a place i never in my life return to and would advise anyone looking to go to Daccia to pay a little more for a better hotel.

Room Tip: There is no such thing this is a very basic hotel. Best option is to choose a different hotel.