“Not as advertised. Go elsewhere.”
Review of Oscar Hotel

Oscar Hotel
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Dassia
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I chose this hotel for one week half term break and stayed half board. We knew it was end of season but did expect the hotel to be as advertised. Unfortunately it was not. I am aware one recent review said the pool was open. It was not! We and several other holiday makers checked with the manager who told us it had not been cleaned and not to use it. We had also looked at it and it was certainly in a poor state. Unlike any other pool I have ever seen in a hotel. He advised another guest to use the pool of the hotel opposite but as that hotel was closed for the season, we could not do this.

The hotel also boasts what looks to be a nice bar area, but alas that was also closed the entire week despite many of us asking it to be opened up so we could relax in it in the evenings. Especially as many other bars and restaurants in Dassia were closed so not much to do in the evenings.

The rooms were basic, which is fair enough as it is only 2 star. Ours was also cleaned every day. But the towels were so threadbare they resembled nets rather than towels. The shower floor had a nasty crack in it and the shower curtain did not reach the floor so the bathroom flooded every time we had a shower.

Breakfast was again basic but adequate and we really enjoyed the evening meal, but then we like Greek food. There was not really any choice although the waiter did try hard to give an alternative if someone really didn't like their meal. In fact the waiter, cook and cleaner did appear to work their socks off.

For me most frustrating thing is that I

know I could have got a cheaper, higher rated hotel on Corfu town, but specifically chose this one for its pool area and bar. Alas, neither of these
were provided and the manager simply shrugged his shoulders when guests made comments saying it was end of season. In my opinion a hotel should either be closed or open. Or at least make it very clear if any facilities are not going to be open during your stay. We were not foretold otherwise we would have looked elsewhere. For that reason it was the worst hotel we have stayed at in any of the Greek islands. Despite not paying that much, I know for a fact we could have got a better hotel for the money we paid. If I were
you I would consider looking elsewhere, especially if going at the end of the season!

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank JoandBarry
There are newer reviews for Oscar Hotel

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I am surprised on reading past reviews that people have been so unhappy with their stay in this hotel. The pool was maintained and NOT full of algae, it did however, have peeling tiles giving the appearance of being unclean. Breakfast was a typical continental breakfast and offered a variety of foods. This is a budget hotel and as such has basic rooms and bathrooms, they were clean and the staff were helpful and friendly. If you expect the ritz you should expect to pay an awful lot more for your holiday!!!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Mbestie
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked this hotel in June and we went in October half term I was told that most of the Restaurants were winding down. When we arrived at the hotel it was very quiet this was at 11pm we went for a walk and nothing was open, we thought this was strange. The next day I was looking forward to using the pool but on looking at it it was full of algey the pool had not been cleaned in weeks.
I explained to the receptionist that it was our honeymoon and asked if there was any chance we could have a double bed rather than the twin we had, he said no but it would cost extra if there was one. We later found out that there was a four day holiday when we arrived so Tuesday most things were open but there were excursions as there were not enough people to go on them.
Tuesday morning the hotel ran out of cerel I complained I was told there was a four day holiday it won't happen again. They had shut down the bar in the evening although they used it to serve drinks with our evening meals. If there were not the odd bar open there was nothing to do in the evening.
Our towels never got changed when I did find out to leave them on the floor they were just folded and placed on top of the bin.

Room Tip: They don't have sea view rooms
3  Thank mandy k
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Having just got back from a week at half board, the food was the lowest of the low...No choice for breakfast but bread, jam, sliced cheese or ham, cornflakes,tin peaches and hard boiled eggs...luke warm water to make coffee and orange juice tasted like squash.....No choice of what they gave you for the evening meal and desert was a small plate with 2 slices of apple and 3 slices of an orange..!!!! The food wasn't fit for a cat or dog..The beds were rock hard and the towels smelt awful and were thread bare...The bin in the bathroom wasn't emptied everyday and the drains smelt like rotten eggs..The swimming pool was green and filthy ( not fit for having a swim in )....If you walked in off the street for an evening meal, as a paying customer, you were offered a menu and choice of food..!!!! We were given worst food than a prisoner..!!! The weather was a bonus and the beach was lovely and clean...I would never go back to this hotel,as we had to buy 3 evening meals elsewhere, Paid enough money for such a tired hotel....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Donna681
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed for 2 weeks this October and found this hotel to be great, yes the rooms are tired and need upgrading, the bathroom needs new plumbing, but the air con works the balcony is great, the beds are comfy. We stayed on half board with a continental breakfast and dinner. The evening meal was served, no choice but great food all the time, fresh fruit and veg from the garden and all freshly cooked,
The owner and staff take some beating great service.
Dasia closed down while we were there so be careful when you go.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
2  Thank jeanieDevon
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let us start by saying this is a Greek 2 star hotel,
After reading other reviews here and elsewhere,we were in two minds what to expect, What we did find is a 2 star hotel that is old and tired many of the fitments have seen better days,the furnishings basic but comfortable and the housekeeping good,
Some of the complaints are about the no choice set meal for half board guest, well We must say we were impressed,although we only stayed a week, the meals did not repeat themselves, Were well prepared from in the main fresh ingredient's and very tasty, Although Ionian in style my wife [a fussy eater] enjoyed most of what was presented to us
Another complaint was of the staff, although not the best of English speakers we found them friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are at the back [inland facing]
1  Thank WizardHT
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Nice, friendly and helpful staff and management - but that's the only good thing.
Everything else is of such a poor standard that we moved out after 1 night.
I'm amazed that some people give this hotel a reasonable rating - they must have very low standards!
I feel sorry for the Manager (a really nice man) who has to take such comments on the chin, but the truth must be told.
THINK TWICE before booking this hotel and only do so if you're prepared to accept sub standard accommodation.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are less noisy
2  Thank HALBL4