“Beautiful location, hard working staff, don't let the lack of overall management put you off”

and 1 more site!
Lake's - my lake hotel & spa
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

I booked a week at this place for our wedding anniversary, having read an amazing review in a London magazine. I didn't encounter any issues with the reservation team in Vienna, they were helpful, efficient and everything worked well. I had read the Tripadvisor review from Madhatter, luckily, so I was somewhat prepared for the little hiccups we encountered. We were there in the height of August and while some people do reserve sunbeds, there was always space for those who wanted it. The location is absolutely stunning, and having the odd family there did not bother us at all - it is an Austrian family holiday location. A little bit unreasonable to expect anything other! If you don't want the odd family at your hotel, perhaps try travelling outside the school summer holidays!
There were wasps but there were wasps EVERYWHERE we went from Vienna to Portschach and back again - and I did not see or hear of anyone else who was stung. If you do not flap they just leave you alone.
The only disappointment is the lack of atmosphere in the bar and restaurant. I do not know what the management is thinking, by not putting in adequate staff to handle the peak season. The ladies running the bar, reastaurant and breakfast area work extremely long hours and are clearly trying their best. They were polite and helpful and certainly spoke English to us. The issue is that come the evening, the bar area is pretty much dead. There are a few people who have a drink or eat in the restaurant but it is just lacking any kind of "beach club" atmosphere. But don't let this put you off, we just went next door (literally 20 metres!) to the Jilly Club and had drinks or dinner there, where there is much more atmosphere. And there are heaps of bars and restaurants in Portschach, it is just a shame that the hotel is missing a massive opportunity here, this year.

Room Tip: Book room 132 if you want the lower price range but large balcony and side view of the lake
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelfan69, General Manager at Lake's - my lake hotel & spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
Dear 'JaneJOhnsOn', thank you so much for your kind and helpful review, it is much appreciated. I am happy to read that you did not encounter any issues with placing your reservation at the cluster reservation team in Vienna (this team handles 3 hotels). I do agree with the fact that the area + lake Wörthersee is a family destination, we just need to redefine our internal policies here when it comes to larger families with kids and the corresponding accommodation, as our overall concept is not yet build on such. I am very thankful for your comments on the bar and restaurant, it is indeed a pity to read that we do miss some massive opportunities here and yes, we all agree that this needs to be changed as of next year. Due to the take-over of the restaurant & bar area beginning of June this year we just did not have enough time to fully concentrate on this important area. This area plays an important role as to the overall concept of being hip & trendy........just be surprised when you are planning to visit us again next year, and we are indeed hoping to welcome you again! Best regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Vienna
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed six times over the last two years at this place. It has some nice aspects, but also some (very bad) downsides:

pro
* nice location @ lake
* very stylish, generous rooms
* nice and partly carying staff at the side (other than in booking office in Vienna; see below).

cons
* reservation manager located in Vienna has horrible service atitude and skills (eg rooms allegedly not availale, altough online bookable; reservation for wrong period and deviation between booking confirmation and dates entered into hotel system; requested room not allocated, altough available; unfriendly, reluctant communication). If a holiday starts like this, you are already in a very bad mood.
* lots of kiddies; does not fit with the general/former concept of a style hotel/cool and relaxing place. Lots of noise and hysterical mums.
* people reserve sund beds in the morning, do not show up the entire day (stay at the room) and come back late in the afternoon. Thus, hard to find a free sun bed. Staff does nothing against, altough being asked to assist.
* nice bar/clubbing facility, however, no activities/events during all of my stays. A pity, particular since Pörtschach is everthing else than a party spot (no alternatives). Would have been nice to have at least lounge music in the afternoon/evening.
* menu in the restaurant is very limited and not up to date (quite 80ies; no mediterranean/veggie food).
* Many wesps; Both in spring and now in Summer. Got - like many other guests - stung several times. One would have to take care of this professionally.

My personal summary: Very nice, stylish place with big handicap due to unwilling and unprofessional reservation management in Vienna and lack of willingness to follow a clear strategy which fits to the place: It would be much more clever to focus on style loving, hard working and thus relexation/ high level fun seeking travellers (who are thus able and willing top pay for the experiance) instead of going down the avarage kiddy resort path (without offering activities to keep the kids calm and out of sight).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Hotelfan69, General Manager at Lake's - my lake hotel & spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear 'Axel13', thank you very much for your detailed review, it is much appreciated. I fully agree with your 'pro-remarks' and also with your 'con-remarks'. After having reviewed the past 3 months we do agree on the fact that we need to redefine the overall strategy for this hotel, which will happen this autumn. In general we do see many reservations for families, as our studios & suites are very large guests can easily book a unit which can accommodate a family + 1-2 kids. We need to redefine our strategy here, although the region Wörthersee does see many reservations for families. Our hotel is in general meant for style loving, hip, hard working people that are looking for relaxation and also are willing to pay a specific rate hence we need to build the base for this type of guest. Overall 'entertainment strategy' on-property has to be redefined as well, we also agree on that. As to your remarks on our Reservation Manager, I will personally look into this matter and find out what happened here, as this is unacceptable. Looking forward to meeting you in person in Vienna as I would like to hear your ideas in person, I remain. Best regards!
Vienna
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed for one week and it has been our second holiday in this hotel. Last year we enjoyed this brand new luxury hotel. This year the staff was horrible (except receptionists). The service was unacceptable: only a few were able to speak German or English. Waiting time at the pool bar: worst case 2 hours for a toast even after 3 complaints / breakfast: good quality for 3 stars but here....
We booked via the homepage of the hotel and got the smallest room in the house. We were allowed to change but the cleanliness of the new studio was poor. Mirrors, dust, ...
Sorry but after our impressions of the last year (really excellent) we are absolutly disappointed. Dont't try the restaurant -> the tenant and his crew left the hotel in May or June. no one succeeded, you can imagine how this works ...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank madhatter1968
Hotelfan69, General Manager at Lake's - my lake hotel & spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear 'madhatter1968', many thanks for your constructive review, I deeply do apologize for any inconveniences caused during your stay with us and I do regret that you are disappointed. It is indeed a fact that we had to release the present tenant and his crew in June this year, since then we manage the restaurant, bar, beach club and lounge ourselves and believe me, this is not easy, especially when you take over such a big operation in the middle of the season. This is not an excuse but by writing this I hope you understand why sometimes service is not up to our usual standards. I can assure you that we are constantly working on improving this and that we also do receive positive comments from other guests via different channels. I sincerely hope you will stay with us again and remain until then, best regards!
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Marvelous hotel, stunnig view, new hotel. I was upgraded to riverside suite which was spacious. free parking, free Internet and breakfast although the breakfast was little limited. Free tea&cofee making facilities+ expresso   unfortunately, I have stayed for 1 night you need to stay at least 2 nights to absorb the bounty of the surrounding. Tip: take a boat trip on the lake
I recommend this hotel for everybody specially  honeymooners.

• Stayed June 2011
Dear 'XThree', great review, thank you so much! Yes you need to stay at least 2 days to explore not only the hotel but also the charming town of Pörtschach and also the lake....thank you for your comments on the suite and the facilities, it is much appreciated! Looking forward welcoming you again, best regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We were nervous about our decision to chose the Lakes, given the previous reviews. What we found was a beautiful hotel, wonderful, friendly staff and an outstanding location, Service is attentive and friendly, but never intrusive
Room was lovely, simple, nice furniture, with a separate sitting area with sofa, table and chairs. It was very clean with a great view of the lake. It was never too hot or too cold and the beds were incredibly comfortable. The shower was very clean and had a new shower head with variable nozzles.

The hot breakfast was ready even before the start time, accomodating the very early risers and was always well stocked. The coffee was very good too. Before dinner, a small lounge for cocktails has a cozy, library-like feel.
Everyone is so friendly and helpful that we wished we could have stayed longer. We will definitely be back!
Would recommend the lakes for anybody look for a tranquil break.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear 'bodylove', this is such a great review! Many thanks!! We know the reviews do differ a lot and might make future guests a bit 'nervous' but I can tell you that there is no need for 'being nervous'.....as you experienced yourself. Thank you for describing the hotel, location and facilities that well and yes, this hotel is indeed meant for people looking for a tranquil break....looking forward welcoming you again in the very near future, best regards!
CH-9038 Rehetobel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2010

Prime location right on the Woerthersee. Splendid architectural concept of V-positioned wings, giving full lake view to guestrooms, while protectively enclosing a flowered innercourt giving on to the private, elegantly conceived beach expanse directly on the lake. A comfy, contemporary, guest friendly interior design, excitingly mixed with old-time highlights and artistically funky shades and installations. Refreshingly new concept for us oldies (80+!),- and noble all-around feel of being with it! Uncommonly generous guestroom area. But therefore, also long and adventurous trek around corners to bathroom from sleeping quarters. Noble materials from bedlinen to towels to plumbing to furnishings, to the interior-decor touches. Somewhat gimmicky the breakfast presentation, like a high-tea on tiered cake stands, with homëopathic food samples?!-hmmh!.. Uncomplicated, competent, happy spirit of helpfullness throughout personnel.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Hotelfan69, General Manager at Lake's - my lake hotel & spa, responded to this review, 9 November 2010
Dear 'Robaechler', many thanks for your great review, it is much appreciated! The hotel indeed has a prime location on the Lake Wörthersee and offers all the services one may wish when booking a 'resort lifestyle hotel' like ours. Looking forward welcoming you again next year as of March 2011. Best regards!
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

Hotel is almost on the lake shore. Some rooms are having direct access to the outside pool. Great music at teh evenings in Sunshine Lake bar. Friendly staff. Will come back for sure ... I want to see this place during summer time ... Compliments.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Dear 'Tine_Slo', great review, many thanks, one can say that we are on the shore due to the beach club area with the direct connection to the lake. Thank you also for your compliments as to the music, the drinks and the staff. We would love to welcome you back next year as of March 2011. Best regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portschach am Worther See
#9 of 13 in Portschach am Worther See
Falkensteiner Schlosshotel Velden
Falkensteiner Schlosshotel Velde...
#2 of 31 in Velden am Woerthersee

Been to Lake's - my lake hotel & spa? Share your experiences!