“Slight tourist rip off”

Sami Siida - Markanbaiki
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Easily accessible and reconstructed Sami camp on the old market and assembly place in the village of Jukkasjarvi. Grazing reindeer, outdoor exhibitions about Sami culture and livelihoods. Sapmi slow food lunch and coffee served by the fire in Cafe Sapmi's giant lavvu-tent; sale of genuine Sami handicraft in adjacent handicraft shop. Guided tours. Ideal for day visitors with a limited amount of time, but still an interest to get an introduction to Sami culture, food and reindeer. Summer/autumn open: 5 Jun - 5 Nov Winter open: 6 Nov - 8 April Located next to Jukkasjarvi church and in 900 m walking distance from ICEHOTEL.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Went here on the last morning of my stay £40 for us to enter not much to see and considering it was minus 34 pretty tough to even walk around this outdoor attraction!!! All we wanted to do was feed the reindeer which I did and that was about £4 for a bag of food but you need to pay the entry to do this!!!Lovley to meet Sami people and see their culture but not a fabulous place.

All reviews
"reindeer meat"
in 10 reviews
"souvenir shop"
in 4 reviews
"lots of interesting information"
"first hand experience"
"warm drink"
"sled ride"
"small cafe"

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I wnjoyed the history, the church next door was part of the experience. My nephews enjoyed the rheindeer rides, but I spent several hours in :geek history bliss: ! I was always fasinated by Sami culture and after my visit to this museum I am even more interested in such a great people and culture. The small gift shop had many great books and souvenirs. The staff at the museum went out of their way to be informative

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Feed them through the fence and THEN enter the enclosure if you want to walk with them. (though when the food's gone they ignore you) If you walk into the enclosure with the food they can get really aggressive.

As other posters noted this is on the pricey side. I think they count on people held captive at the Ice Hotel up the street for the majority of their business. I didn't regret going but just know it'll be a quick trip - it's a small place and it's more educational than exciting.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We went to the Sami museum on 28th Dec and were excited to see the reindeer. There is a small open air museum about the Sami Culture. However we found this was not value for money as it cost around 200 SEK pp. However the lady at the reception did offer us tom come back next day during the day to watch reindeers again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I loved this experience I stumbled on it by accident as it wasn't too advertised we went to the church first which is beside apart from learning about the culture the guides certainly knew their stuff and everything was well documented with diagrams and pictures. I bought a few souvenirs in a shop there and also a hot chocolate in the cafe part of the shop, there too and we were able to buy bags of moss and feed the resident reindeer in the the enclosure which we did.