“A wonderful experience in a gorgeous setting”

and 1 more site!
Montpellier De Tulbagh
Ranked #7 of 17 Tulbagh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I were in Tulbagh last weekend, and stopped for wine tasting at Montpellier. What a hidden gem! The manor house and grounds are stunning, and the staff were all so friendly and nice. We sat by the pool and had an extensive wine tasting session led by the sweet Emmanuel, who did a great job. Their wines are fantastic and we left with our arms full, and details of where we can buy in Cape Town. Although we didn't stay there, the traditional, lovely rooms of the Manor house were open to view, and we will certainly be back to stay in the sleigh bed! Top marks Montpellier, we can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at Montpellier in one of the self catering units. We loved our entire experience at this scenic wine farm and wedding venue. The self catering units are spacious, clean and very comfortable to just relax in.
The staff are very kind and helpful. We enjoyed a wine tasting and wood fired pizzas. Such a tranquil and peaceful farm.
I can highly recommend a visit to Montpellier de Tulbagh.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Breakfast? Great! Accommodation? So what if we had a creaky bed! No receptionist to receive us? Dont care! We were made to feel so welcome, we had smiles and good service all around. We stayed in the main guesthouse.The staff were flexible and ready to serve us at any of the many communal entertainment areas, which includes the 2 lounges with their cozy fireplaces (great for winter wine tasting and pizza from their outside pizza oven!), the kitchen with yet another built in hearth, the dining room, the 3 patio areas (great for breakfast in the sunshine or wine and a game of cards before dinner!) and the massive laid table out on the lawn under te blossoming trees...
We felt as if this was our own home. We loved all the little imperfections. The key to enjoying Montpellier is to leave pretentiousness at home, to respect the homestead and its inhabitants, to embrace its old world charm, and to engage with the staff and locals and get to know them a little before just shouting orders as guests normally tend to do once they've paid for the deposit. Count yourself lucky that you get to share in this kind of lifestyle for a couple of days.
This is the Montpellier way.

Room Tip: Choose to stay in the main guesthouse, ideally in the double room with the sleigh bed. Remember this...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank LiesieF
Reviewed 13 March 2013

One of my favourite corners of South Africa.

It's less a guest house and more of a wine farm. We stayed in the main farmhouse building which is wonderfully atmospheric, so cant comment on the other cottages that people have stayed in. What we loved was it's casual and informal beauty. The building is tastefully decorated with antique furniture and local paintings.The wine is outstanding - ask for a cellar tour.

We only left the farm once over the weekend, to try out a local restaurant. The rest of the time we arranged meals there. Simple but tasty home cooked food. WE swam (so, the pool is not a pristine looking Holiday Inn pool - so what?) There's a gorgeous little chapel on a hill in the middle of the vineyards. Walk among the trees around the farmhouse past the lush green lawn. The filtered light is exquisite. It's a fun, relaxing beautiful place. Very romantic. Take books and swimming costume!

Montpellier oozes with charm. The staff are friendly and not in your face. Just soak in the atmosphere and relax. If you want inner city steril perfection, stay away - you won't fit in.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house. One room in the main house has an en suite bathroom and the other three shar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I so much agree with Adel L & Bullc9 - Beautiful Venue but what a dump. Please if any overseas people are thinking of doing a self catering week-end this is not the place to hire. Wrote a letter to the agent which I believe they have not seen the place them selves.
Part of my the letter ...........

On opening the door and entering we were almost overtaken by extremely bad stale smoke odors'. The walls are damp and mouldy and the paint is peeling. As for the linen, this was anything but fresh. Moreover, the furnishings were probably from the 1950’s and definitely did not help to create a good ambiance. My spouse and I are frequent travelers and have over the past years stayed in many various hotels, B&B’s, Guest Houses, Back Packers Lodges, etc. but never in our lives have we been so utterly disgusted and disappointed. Not to mention on arrival there were some local boys who were carrying beer bottles and were walking in the drive way of the cottages and were taking their time to move along. We decided not to tell them to move along as we could see that they were drinking and we were shocked when they showed us a gun sign and a sign showing us that they can slit our throats. We were absolutely horrified!!

Received a reply letter from Montpellier Guesthouse that ............... they cannot be responsible for the locals around the guesthouse Gee! so much for security for the visitors and oversea visitors.
Plus all the blah, blah about the self catering units been clean and not rustic are not false advertised on line - I DON'T THINK SO!! and from the reviews - please take bullc9, Adel L and myself advise this is not a place to stay over. After they received my letter we were offered a week-end stay in the Manor but no thank-you we declined.

I am going back to Tulbagh this week-end again for another stay away from the city and will be staying at Vindoux Guest Farm which is their neighboring farm. I am sure I will be far more better and suitable stay then Montpellier

Room Tip: Do not believe what you see on line - Self Catering cottages are not what they seem to be. Lovely fr...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Beautiful venue.
Bad bad bad experience and poor mangement. I am as sick as a dog after staying 2 nights in a wet and drafty selfcatering "cottage". It was offered as luxury accomodation sleeping 4 adults. Embarassing to have invited friends for a weekend away on my husband's birthday.
Double bookings for the horse rides.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I arrived at Montpellier after travelling over 18 hours from the West Village in New York. Once my fiancee and I arrived, I realized it was well worth the 2 hour drive from Cape Town airport. It was green, lush, an expanse of vineyards and mountains lay as far as the eyes could see. Truly this was God's country.

The property was punctuated on the far end with a stark and stunning Cape Dutch Chapel. The entire property had a magical quality. It felt at once mystical and mysterious yet I also felt that I had lived there my whole life. After a week, we could not bring ourselves to leave. We made friends with the warm, down to earth staff. And with the Napoletano pizza making in the wood burning oven at night and the lambs roasted on the spit--the food was simple, fresh and flavorful. This place is not fancy, it is not over done or pretentious or self-conscious the way much of Sonoma and Napa are today. Speaking of wine country-- the seven varietals of wine and rose champagne will leave you with a nice buzz during sundowners. Montpellier is true luxury. And the best part is, you're in AFRICA!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple