“Very French”

Le Domaine de Foncaudiere
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maurens
Le Domaine de Foncaudiere
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maurens
North Yorkshire
“Very French”
Reviewed 24 June 2007

Foncaudiere was just as beautiful in reality as it looked on the internet.

It is approached by a long and slightly rough road through some woodland. On several mornings on my way to the boulangerie in Maurens I saw some red deer in the woods.

We stayed in L'Ange Garden which was spacious and tastefully furnished. It did have very steep stairs. Not a problem for my four year old but it did make carrying up luggage a bit tricky.

Vlado, the on site chef, prepared a dinner for us on the night of arrival. We also joined Vlado's Monday night dinner for guests. I found his food to be excellent on every occasion that he cooked for us. Vlado was full of culinary enthusiasm and a real star. My only criticism is that the food was expensive compared to the price of a nice meal in a restaurant in Bergerac.

The setting is divine and when the sun was shining I had no interest in going anywhere else. It was immensely peaceful. There was a swing which my daughter loved and a good sized pool.

However it is a good hour and a half drive to get to many of the region's highlights, such as Sarlat. It is for this reason I have given it four stars not five.

Woud I stay again? Probably. I would also consider staying in the Chateau which was beatifully decorated.

With regard to the other review on trip advisor, I didn't find the access road a problem in my hire car. I have lived at two houses in the past that were on unadopted roads and they were far worse than the road here. I can imagine that the grass could be boggy in December when the weather is poor. However a paved /tarmac car parking area would look totally inappropriate.

With regard to bugs and beatles, there did sem to be quite a lot after it rained. This is typical of the Dordogne region. The Dordogne has humid weather which many bugs, including termites, find ideal. They bugs and beatles were certainly not a problem for us (in June).

• Liked — The unspolit nature of the buildings.
  • Disliked — It was a a long drive to many of the highlights of the Dordogne
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank w0bblylegs

Solo
Business
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 January 2006

All we can say is it's just as well you didn't stay there when we did and didn't get so wrapped up in the surrounding scenery so as to not notice everything else.
We found the stair cases hazardous especialy for young children. We arrived on December 10th to be greeted by a scruffy unshaven chap who I can only assume is the estate scivvy as Marcell was off galavanting around the globe. We wanted a long term winter let and after reeading your review thought that these would be comfortable and luxurious.
The day we entered the houses they were literely freezing. We weren't expecting gas central heating but would it have been too much to ask for the log burning fires to be lit from the day before to try and warm through the houses. We are a family that took up all 4 of the houses and there was only one that had had a fire lit inside it.
And don't get me started on the driveway into the grounds of the estate. We arrived in 2 vehicles, a minibus and a Land rover. The land rover must have been having the time of it's life negotiating the mounds, bricks and large holes of the driveway. Unfortunatly the same could not be said for the minibus and it's occupants.
Worse still was the grassy area where we were told to park the vihicles. At the first sight of rain, the land turned to mush, dissabling the minibuss which needed the landrover to pull it out on a number of occasions.
A glimmer of light appeared a few weeks later as the sun started to shine and dry up the land although it was a shame it couldn't have filled in the holes on the driveway.
And what did the sun bring with it? Bugs, insects and a whole lot more.
One of the houses we were renting became infested with crawling and fling creatures. And what did the owner offer to do? He sent the, still scruffily dressed and unshaven, scivvy to shake the douvet! That helped a great deal I think not!!
They did offer to get proffesional exterminaters in to do the job but I ask who would want all those chemicals floating around with 2 young children in the house?
This problem alone left us with no choice but to have 2 adults and 2 children sleeping in the downstairs bedroom for the duration of our stay and that wasn't without problems either with its' damp and mouldy walls.
Another of the houses had a fire start due to a poorly thought out hearth and fire when the hearth caught lite one day. It was just as well this didn't happen on a night with possibly fatal consequenceis.
The number of problems became intollerable to the point of sending us all into deppresion.
When we did try to meet the owner regarding problems we were confronted with an aggressive, cocky and arrogant attitude and were told he would see us in court.
We were left with no choice but to look elsewhere to stay and were told in no uncertain terms that we would not have any money returned to us as we had all payed in advance and that the moneys had been re-invested in the estate.
What a shame the re-investment was not in better heating, road improvements or a new wardrobe and razor for the estate scivvy.
I would not stay there again and would certainly not encourage anyone else to either.
This unfrotunate place greatly marred what should have been a comfortable and relaxing stay in what is otherwise a beautiful part of France.

Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Le Domaine de Foncaudiere? Share your experiences!