“Awesome”
Review of The Hawberry Motel

The Hawberry Motel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Little Current
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We stayed one night and will definitely be back again. The owner was very friendly. The rooms were very clean. Beautiful landscaping and very relaxing atmosphere. Safe place for travellers on motorcycles. Convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank sharpars

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed in one of the rooms in the small front building. Based on other reviews, it sounds like the newer rooms ("deluxe rooms") are in the back building.

This is more like 2.5 stars, but I'm giving them an extra bump, because the sign said under new management, so maybe they're in transition. My room was very clean, you could even see the carpet had just been vacuumed. The towels were also very soft and clean -- almost new. Also new was the flat screen TV, a brand new set of clothes hangers, and the air conditioner. The sheets, however, were worn thin in several spots, although they were clearly clean. The bathroom was starting to show its age, but again, it was clean. The curtains let in a lot of light around the edges -- at one point, there were two sets of curtains, but one set was removed, leaving just the rod. The furniture was starting to get a little beat up too, but again the surfaces were clean. The room was on the small side, but no smaller than motels of a similar vintage.

The location is convenient. It is on the "main highway" (Ontario 6), but wasn't that noisy. Two supermarkets next door and a gas station across the street mean that it's easy to buy snacks or food. It's also a short walk to the waterfront. The guy at the front desk was friendly, and check in/check out was easy and fast.

Like I said, the one consistent thing is that it was clean. If the new owners get around to replacing some of the older furniture and linens, it will be quite nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Jon9769
Reviewed 29 May 2013

After a 600km motorcycle ride and a 4 hour hike on the cup and saucer trail we dropped in unannounced at the Hawberry motel. The location is great, right downtown close to the bar and restaurants and right across a shell gas station. We were lucky they had vacancy and it felt like home away from home. I soaked my aching body in the clean tub unlike some other motels or even hotels and slept like a log on the fantastic mattress which we found out were brand new. The coffee machine in the room was great to have in the morning and we set out to explore the island with maps and detailed instructions from Peter, the owner.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank FrankthaTank
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed in a deluxe room with two double beds for 3 nights at the end of March and was relatively pleased with my stay. Pros: within walking distance of downtown and grocery stores (one is right next door and the other is across the street); comfortable beds; microwave and fridge a definite bonus; helpful staff (see comment re: ice machine). Cons: no ice machine (evening manager did provide us with his own ice, however); metal stairs that have seen better days (definitely a safety issue); bugs! - I think that the air conditioner wasn't sealed properly as by the end of the last day, we had 5-10 beetle type bugs flying around (yuck); kind of pricey (>$100 with tax). Despite the cons, I think that Hawberry Motel is probably the best that you will find in Little Current, at least until the new Hotel/Conference center opens up (if it ever opens!).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank littlemack100
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Hello Littlemack100,

Thank you for your list of pros and cons for Hawberry motel, however I wanted to provide responses to your list of cons;

a) Ice machine - we are in the process of searching for a cost & energy efficient machine but in the meantime we always keep a good supply of ice for our guests who require it as we do not want to inconvenience anyone.

b) Metal stairs - I understand the issue with these, the stairs are metal however they are safe to use, we always take all the necessary precaution to make them extra safe for our guests for all four seasons.

c) Bugs - Hawberry Motel policy is to inspect all rooms before guests arrive to ensure a comfortable stay and the A/C was inspected prior to and after you left and it seemed to be sealed fine. We looked around the room as well to see where bugs were coming in from but could not find anything, only explanation I could come up with is that because it is an outdoor property the bugs were flying in when doors are open, so best to keep doors closed as soon as you enter.

d) Price - Hawberry motel marks their price according to the season and is aligned with other motels in the area even though we keep our motel rooms more clean and upgraded than other motels.

I appreciate your comments as it helps us improve! Looking forward to your stay with us in the future.

Peter & Divya

Reviewed 14 March 2013

I was there for some business trip in February, 2013 and was initially skeptical about staying at any place in general on the island. From my past experience every time I go to a remote place such as Manitoulin Island the motels are nearly run down and you just want to sleep and get out.
Hawberry Motel surprised my, I booked a deluxe room and it was nearly as good as a brand name motel. The rooms, Bed, Bathroom, carpet was very clean. Front desk was courteous. They recently bought the motel and as far as i can tell it was fantastic. Mind well, I would not compare it to other 5star hotels that I have stayed in, but then you cannot get anything better than this motel on such a remote location. If I definitely come back in summer, Such a Beautiful and relaxed town.

Room Tip: Deluxe are the best rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Craig J
Peter g, Owner at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking your time to write a wonderful review for us. Hope to see you again and I’m sure your stay will be even better than before. Lots of new upgrades are in process.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

The owners were friendly and helpful with providing information during my stay. The room was clean and had pretty good furnishings including a fridge. Still, the furnishings are very basic. The room was freezing when I arrived (during December) because the thermostat was turned down. I understand that it's expensive to heat these rooms and that it's wasteful to do so when they are empty but it did take a long time to warm up. Also, the stairs to the second floor are made of sheet metal and the reverberations through the building are extremely loud whenever someone walks on them: prepare to be woken up if someone is going up the stairs while you're sleeping. The wireless internet connection from my room was ok but YMMV.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Eliot P
Peter g, Manager at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Hello Eliot P,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. You're more than 100% right, turning heat up in winter does become costly. I do recommend all guest to call at least 3 to 4 hours ahead to notify they are arriving to this destination or any other accommodation places, this way we can do everything ahead of time to make your stay pleasant and comfortable. Regarding the metal stairs, this was the first time someone has brought it up to me. I will definitely look into it, and yes i have fixed the internet signal, much better than before. Again, internet is complimentary given to guest who stays here. Again i would like to thank you for staying with us and hope to see you in future. Take care

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I will be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from this little motel in Little Current but I would definitely recommend staying here if you're in the area! Affordable price and all the same amenities you would expect from a Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn or anything at that level!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank BradGriffith
Peter g, Manager at The Hawberry Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Hello Mr. Brad G

Thank you so much for taking your time to post a review. We try our best to give best comfort and service to Manitoulin Island guest. I would also like to thank you for staying with us and hope to see you back again. Till then wish you all the best and have a Happy Marry Chrismas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Current
#2 of 2 in Manitowaning
Massey Motel
Massey Motel
#2 of 2 in Massey

Been to The Hawberry Motel? Share your experiences!