“Almost There”

and 1 more site!
Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Little Current
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in August. Manitoulin Hotel just opened for guest and was not fully operational. The pool was still not in service and the elevators were not in service due to the trade strike. We had a room on the second floor so this was not much of an issue for us but would be for anyone who has any difficulty with stairs. Our room was great and the view from our room was fantastic. Restaurant was open and the food was great. We visit the island every summer and the accommodations on the island has always been limited. The Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Center has just raised the bar. We have already booked for next August . I'm sure they will have everything up and running by that time. The staff are all willing and ready to assist in any way they can. Looking forward to next years stay.....

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nice place to stay. Of course it only opened 3 months ago so lots of things to be ironed out such as pool completion, working elevator (not fun to lug bags to 3rd floor via stairs). Food was excellent! Great chef & staff. Room service lacking as shampoos were replaced with only hair conditioners each day and no replacement bags in ice canister. Just little minor details which the front desk were more than happy to accommodate. Great conference rooms and again I can't rave about the wait staff enough! Way to go Little Current and we will definitely look forward to staying there again soon!

Room Tip: Riverside for sure!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2013

When I heard Manitoulin Island was getting a hotel and conference center, it seemed like a total disconnect. I've been going to Manitoulin my entire life and think of it as a remote and restful vacation spot catering to summer cottagers and boaters. So I could not have been more surprised and impressed this summer when I visited the Manitoulin Hotel and Conference Center for the first time. From the outside, it looks like your typical hotel (think Holiday Inn Express or some other name-brand lodging). But walk through the front entrance and you will be blown away by the authenticity and beauty of this place. They have done an amazing job incorporating many things that feel "just right" in terms of décor - the cathedral ceiling that is reminiscent of a Native teepee, the central fire place, the check-in desk sheathed in logs, the stone floor and walls. All remind you that you are in a very special place - a place tied to the natural world and all its beauty.

While I did not take advantage of the overnight lodging, I did have the pleasure of dining in the dining room. The setting could not be more lovely with a large indoor dining area, an ample patio and views overlooking the beautiful swimming pool and La Cloche mountains and Georgian Bay. The chef has taken great care in creating a menu that is both delicious and unintimidating and a great value to boot!

The Manitoulin Hotel and Conference Center is a great addition to Little Current, Manitoulin Island and the entire region of Northern Ontario.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Cowtown_Grrl
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We have been to Manitoulin Island many times & were very happy to see this new refreshing hotel in Little Current...It is very clean, a bit stark, however...
The bedding is very comfortable with firm mattresses...The only downside is, there is no place to put soap or shampoo in the shower or by the sink...I did mention this to the front desk & the gal said the holders were on order!
The restaurant is pleasant with a nice view! Overall a good experience, however, a little pricey with no breakfast included which most hotels now, do include breakfast...

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was on a road trip with my wife and 3 kids (10, 9, 5). I had come up from Toronto, through Sudbury and though we'd hit the Island on the way home, crossing back though Tobermory on the Chicheemaun.

This hotel couldn't be better situated for arriving on the Island from the North, it is SECONDS from the swing bridge over from Espanola and right beside the tourism centre. It is a 2 minute drive to the marina and the shops of Little Current, the only nice part of the island east of Mindemoya, (the furthest west I got during my stay)
The lobby is fantastic, with a TeePee structure overlooking the channel and the bridge, with a great gas burning fireplace (child friendly...cool glass even when on). We could have sat there for hours.
This hotel was BRAND new when we arrived so many things weren't up and running yet. Elevators, while functioning, hadn't been certified, so I had to walk to the 4th floor. That was by my own choice though as I was offered a low floor (nice of them to ask).
Pool wasn't running yet either, but as luck (bad) would have it , the weather didn't cooperate anyway.
The room was very nice and the shower with glass doors was great (needed to lock kids out of the bathroom while showering though...no privacy). Beautiful wood ceiling made the room smell nice too. Also, the a/c to the room was fairly quiet, which makes for a great sleep.
The beds were also quite comfortable too. Not "Sheraton Sweet sleeper" good, but very good for a private hotel.
Toiletries were good, nice soaps and shampoos with good towels for drying off.
Wifi was quick and reliable too.

The set up is weird for food. Breakfast you have to pay at the front desk and get a chit. Dinner you pay IN the restaurant, and no one explains this ahead of time. Breakfast was OK, but it is generally hard to get good food on the island. (Buffet temp was not hot enough, and pastries were ok, but not stellar. Orange juice was cheap reconstituted and bitter, coffee was acceptable). Most restaurants on Manitoulin are terrible and without competitors,they won't improve either.
I didn't eat dinner at the hotel, as it seemed quite pricey. (Chicken curry with rice $23.00, even more than a nice downtown Toronto Indian resto).
I was also disappointed that the hotel, owned by the aboriginal marketing cooperative "Great Circle Trail" did not avail themselves of the opportunity to put aboriginal themed cuisine on the menu, or play music by first nations musicians in the restaurant / lobby. It was my hope to let my kids learn about the "other" Canada and experience / see first hand the culture of our countries first true inhabitants.There was little of that to be had anywhere, and my schedule didn't allow me to stay the extra 2 nights to see the Wikwemikong PowWow the following weekend.

Check in check out was easy and professional.

If you HAVE to go to the island, stay here. We checked out all the others we considered while booking and let me assure you that almost every other "inn", "auberge" or "motel" proved to be run down, dumpy or a far cry from the advertised condition.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mcgnuggitt
Reviewed 10 August 2013

The food was excellent and the service was very good. Chef Stewart is working his usual magic. The view is incredible and the restaurant/hotel itself is very clean and impressive. Cannot comment on the rooms as we did not stay overnight, just had dinner. Highly recommend this dining experience, it is several steps up from a burger or a hot sandwich!

3  Thank G C
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We come to Manitoulin every year for Haweater weekend. We are actually here right now, and I'm just killing some time before we head out for the day. We have have previously stayed at the Bridgeway, which was so bad I didn't even write a review, as I feel sorry for the owner. We also stayed at the Hawberry, which I reviewed last year. We have been anxiously awaiting the opening of this hotel. Little Current is long overdue for a comfortable and modern place to stay.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The beds are lovely, with fluffy duvets, pillows, and crisp white linens. The bathrooms are nicely done with modern-looking tiles and sink area. The rooms are a little smaller than you would expect from this type of hotel, but there is still lots of room to move around and we didn't feel crowded. The bathrooms are a pretty good size, but there is no tub! Only a large shower with a rain-shower head. Water pressure is medium, and hot water seems to be in good supply. Here is an example of a rough edge, though: there is no shelf or ledge in the shower AT ALL! It is beautiful, new, clean, but you can't put your soap and shampoo anywhere except on the floor! What a funny thing to overlook. Another small thing is that there's no soap dish or ledge near the sink, so the soap slides around and it gets pretty slimy and wet there. Also, the walls are pretty thin so you can hear everything in the hallway and surrounding rooms. I always bring earplugs, as this seems to be pretty common in modern hotels.

The room is equipped with a good-sized fridge, a dresser and an armoire for hanging things up. There's a place for an iron in the armoire, but there is noooo ironing board or iron. We don't need it this trip, anyway, so we haven't bothered to call for one. They also have a Keurig one-cup coffee maker, but you only get one regular and one decaf coffee pod. I personally think that's pretty cheap of the hotel, considering the price guests are paying to stay here. You should at least get 2 pods of regular coffee for a room with 2 adults in it! Most hotels have a basket with a couple of each, and even some tea maybe. Not sure why they've decided to skimp in this way. Yesterday we left a note requesting a couple of extra coffees, along with a tip for the housekeeper. Not only did the housekeeper not take our tip, but she didn't restock any of the coffee! This morning we were without any coffee or cups. Maybe today I'll just keep my notes to myself, lol.

We requested a water-view room when we checked in, and that request was granted. We have a 2nd-floor room with a lovely view of the channel and surrounding hills and trees. It is a little gross-looking right below our room, but I believe they are still working to perk that area up. Unfortunately, the windows are really small, taking up about a third of the wall-space. So the view is amazing, but limited by the size of the window. Most modern hotels seem to be designed with big windows, so I'm surprised the designers went in this direction, especially with such an unparalleled view to take advantage of.

Aside from the housekeeping snafu, the staff has been pleasant and professional. The hotel also has quick, free wi-fi. The pool is not open yet, which is a bit of a disappointment for us, and there is no elevator service as of yet, either. The restaurant is only open for breakfast, and it has a buffet that costs $11.99. We haven't tried this out, as we are late sleepers! This seems like the kind of place that would usually include a free continental breakfast if it were located in an area with more competition for business.

Overall we have been pretty happy with our stay here. I think the hotel is overpriced, but again, with very little competition in the area, I'm sure they can charge whatever the market will bear. For comparison, we are paying $159/night, the Hawberry is $99/night for a much smaller and less-comfortable room, and the Bridgeway is $89/night (shudder). If this hotel were in Toronto, it would probably be priced around $129 for a busy weekend, and about $85 on Hotwire or Priceline. I think maybe considering that so many little bits aren't done or open yet, management could offer a free breakfast or discount on the room to guests.

I would recommend staying here if it fits your budget. It is by far the nicest place to stay in Little Current. If you want to save a bit of money, The Hawberry is a good alternative also.

Room Tip: Try to get a water view! The window is small, but the view is still fantastic!
3  Thank beckarama
25 mi away
Evergreen Resort
Evergreen Resort
#1 of 3 in Gore Bay

Been to Manitoulin Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!