“Old World Charm near Lighthouse Festival Theatre” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brant Hill Inn

Brant Hill Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Dover
Brant Hill Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Port Dover B&B and Inns
Richmond, Canada
“Old World Charm near Lighthouse Festival Theatre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just before reaching Port Dover harbour at the southern end of #6 is the hilltop inn run by two sisters. We arrived late (6pm) and the note at the tiny front desk told us that our room #17 was unlocked. There is no elevator so hauling golf clubs and a couple of suitcases up 20 steps was a bit of a hassle. The room was spacious and reminded me of my sister's decor circa 1980s - lace and white, with the odd splash of colour from self-made cushions. It felt like we had just arrived upstairs at our parents' house that we hadn't seen in 30 years. Everything you need is there, microwave, iron, coffee/tea maker, and a large bathroom with lots of towels. No lotions though and an impossible to work TV set-up with a page of instructions. Thankfully we are not big TV watchers but it would have been nice to keep up with FIFA scores. Highlight: Breakfast on Sat and Sun, was the good ole, bacon and eggs, coffee, juice and fruit. Nothing fancy. Just straight up honest and charming.

Room Tip: I didn't see a fitness centre or a pool. Get a room that does not face Highway #6.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Jamestown NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I had no reservation when I arrived in Port Dover and found the Brant Hill Inn through a suggestion by a local person. When I walked in the front door, the small entry area was empty. There was a phone on the counter indicating whom to call for service. I was told there was a room available and the price, then was asked for my name and credit card information. I was told where the room was and went to see it. It was large, fairly clean (remotes and light switches needed some work) and warm. Upon returning from dinner I realized I hadn't asked about internet access and whether there was breakfast. I entered the front door again and called on the phone. No password needed for internet access and no breakfast. For the rate of $125 + tax, I thought there might be a wrapped pastry or something available in the morning. There is a Tim Horton's within blocks of the property. There was a microwave and small frig in the room. TV was a small flat screen with tricky instructions using 2 remotes. Great water pressure and plenty of hot water. Also, the property is quiet and a few blocks away from the more active part of town.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank pawley
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I was a little nervous upon my arrival after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. Everything was in order in our room, It was clean & adequate. Bar fridge that worked! One bed was a little noisy, but the other was newer & very comfortable. The only complaint I would make is the flies. We noticed in the morning, when the cleaning service came it, they left the outside doors open while they worked & when they finished, the room was full of flies! We remedied this by telling the cleaning people, we did not require their services & therefore no flies the second night!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary Anne C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 3 days( weekend ). Great rates ( corporate ) and service. Very quiet and peaceful. Outstanding breakfast on the weekends. Wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Free WI FI and cable in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank hps2051
Dunnville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

They may not have had internet in 2009 but they do now. No pool or exercise room. I am uncommitted on my rating of this hotel so I am rating everything average. Don't forget you're in a village population 6,000. This isn't the city.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Fisherman J
Mars
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

I had the misfortune of staying at this so called "4-star" hotel while on business in the area. The first clue we were in for a treat was having to call someone to come and let us in. After a 1/2 hour wait she finally arrived. When I asked about wireless, she said they didn't have it (although their promo says otherwise). Anyway, the bed was uncomfortable (I've slept on better floors), the TV was archaeic, and the road noise from the highway was more than noticeable (had to sleep with window closed). The bathroom floor also probably had not been washed in quite some time (I ended up with dirty socks!). For $139 this place is way over priced. There isn't much else available in the area, so next time I will likely stay in Brantford and make the drive to Port Dover instead.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
12 Thank zoldar

Travellers are raving about these Port Dover hotels

Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Very expensive for the lack of atmosphere, service and amenities. I stayed on a business trip, was promised internet service in my room, nonexistent. The desk was all locked up when I arrived at 9 pm, and I had to call a number to get someone to come. First few times it was busy, then finally reached someone who came with no sense of urgency to book me in. The person was unfriendly, spoke almost nothing to me, handed me the keys, informed me that she does not work until 8 am, pointed me up the stairs and left. The decor was morose with fake dusty flowers on the table, the TV tiny, there was continuous noise from something downstairs (it was so loud the first night that I thought it was a dance bar - then realized it must be some sort of refrigeration equipment as it never stopped). The windows opened, but there was considerable noise all night from the highway. I assumed that there was no room service (no big deal as there are lovely beach restaurants within walking distance), no wake up call service, as to reach any service, you have to go to the front desk to call. When you do, there is reluctance to help. They do not supply shampoo or anything else besides basic body wash. The regular rate I was quoted was $135 plus taxes, I paid a business rate of $110 plus taxes - that is way too high for an, at best 2 star inn.

9 Thank deliciao
#2 of 8 in Port Dover
Culverdene House
Culverdene House
#1 of 2 in Simcoe

Been to Brant Hill Inn? Share your experiences!