“Daughter's Wedding”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sedgefield
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Daughter's Wedding”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We could not have chosen a better venue for my Daughter's wedding on February 22nd. The whole event was perfect from start to finish. From the welcoming drink to the wedding breakfast to the disco and evening buffet, the staff were all so pleasant and attentive, Matthew Jacobs covered as MC and managed the day without a hitch, any ask was never a problem to him. The food was great, served hot and plentiful. My bedroom was very clean, well appointed, lovely bathroom, and a brilliant view over the park and the lake. Our many wedding guests who also stayed the night were in awe of the Hotel as a whole. As the mother of the bride, my Daughter's Wedding to me was always going to be such a memorable day, but I cant thank you all enough for making our day with you, so special. Many Thanks!

Room Tip: Ground floor to left of reception, end of corridor, beautiful views over park and lake.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Jon H, General Manager at Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 5 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We are all so pleased that you enjoyed your daughters wedding so much and i have passed your comments on to Matthew and all staff involved on the day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Lovely room, so quiet that I was surprised! The view was great. Services were ok, good restaurant and good wine list. Will definitely come back. I haven't try the spa but the park is ideal for a morning run.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 March 2013 via mobile

It was through trip advisor I made my decision to stay at this hotel overnight for a business trip, and this hotel has inspired me to write my first review. This Hotel comes highly recommended the views from the rooms and grounds a breath taking. The rooms were perfect, staff very pleasant and helpful and food was to die for. I strongly advise anyone visiting to try one of the steaks at the rib room restaurant.
I would like to offer a strong thank you to all the staff and management.

• Stayed March 2013
Jon H, General Manager at Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
On behalf of the staff and management i would like to thank you for posting such an excellent review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed here for my birthday and have to say it was a lovely treat. The hotel was excellent and the staff couldn't have been nicer. We had a deluxe room which overlooked the lake at the adjacent country park. Room was large, with everything you could need. Fridge, safe, tea/coffee complimentary bottles of water and fruit, hair dryer, iron & ironing board, even some sweets! The bathroom was huge with a large bath and walk-in shower.
We ate at night in the Rib-room restaurant and enjoyed perfectly cooked steaks.
The only thing that could improve the hotel would be a swimming pool & spa.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

We decided to have a family lunch at Hardwick Hall to celebrate Mothers Day. Previously having a good experience we felt sure to have a good time.

When entering there were about 3 different rooms where lunch was being served one of which being a huge events room filled with people easilly 100+ in one room. Initial order was fine unfortunately it generally went down hill from there.

Starters were pretty poor, the main course however was one of the worst we have come across. The food wad cold, the vegetables were a bizarre concoction sitting in a pile of water. The veg looked good enough for bubble and squeak and that's about it. One soup bowl of vegetables was for 7 people.

You would think you can't go wrong with desserts...well wrong think again. Break and butter pudding had no bread to be seen with what looked to be a raw mixture. Even when the deputy manager came over and was asked would he eat it his reply was no.

The end result was that we didn't pay for a single thing and quite rightly so the management handled it well, having said that we probably weren't the first to complain that day.

This establishment clearly overstretched themselves without the capacity to deliver. I have grave concerns around their chefs because nobody in their right mind would send food out of their kitchen in such a state without losing all credibility.

Think twice before going for a special occasion as you maybe sorely disappointed.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Beehive83
Jon H, General Manager at Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Mothers Day lunch recently. We did serve over 300 lunches that day and yours was the only table who were not fully satisfied. As a result, we did indeed remove all charges from your bill as the food served to you fell below the high standards that we expect. I was therefore a little disappointed to read your comments on this site as we felt that we had made every effort to fully apologise and rectify your complaint.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

I came to this hotel on a business trip with about 25 other people and I think it is fair to say we were all pleased with the hotel. The fact that we all had seperate rooms meant we had the chance to look at everyone's rooms, and the fact that most of them were different layouts and had different features was a nice surprise.
The first night a few of us ate in the steak/rib restaurant, which we all enjoyed but did find a little on the expensive side. A few of us also made the mistake of ordering a steak and not realising that chips needed to be ordered as a side (we expected it to come with the meal.)
The second night we had a 3 course set menu, which was really nice. A few people who ordered the steak from the set menu did comment on the fact they would have liked to have been asked how they wanted their steak cooked (a little rare for some people), but the staff were more than happy to take them back and re-cook them to their liking.
The staff were very friendly and very happy to help. We did spend quite a long time in the bar on the second night, (I'm sure much to the annoyance of the bar staff) but we still felt welcomed and like they were happy to serve us.
Overall, the food was good, the rooms were very spacious and everyone seemed to enjoy their stay in this hotel - my only regret is not spending any time looking around the grounds of the hotel!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Since I moved from Durham 18 months ago, I always look forward to coming back for a trip to see family and friends. I have now stayed at Hardwick Hall twice and both times have been excellent. On our second trip our room was a little smaller than the first visit, but still worth every penny. We had a beautiful view from our room each time! I woke in the night feeling hot so ordered some more bottles of water and a fan and they were brought by room service straight away at no extra cost! We have never been into the restaurant as I'm a vegetarian and a little fussy, but my partner is always begging me to go in as he says the menu sounds delicious!
Anyone else going to Durham - I would recommend this Hotel, as knowing the area well, this is the best!
I can't wait to be back there in the Easter Holidays!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulaBG1988
Jon H, General Manager at Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Thanks for the great review. Really pleased that you enjoyed your second visit and we look forward to welcoming you back at Easter. ps the Rib Room also serves great vegetarian food!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedgefield
Ramside Hall Hotel, Golf & Spa
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,070 reviews
Bowburn Hall
Bowburn Hall
#11 of 19 in Durham

Been to Hardwick Hall Hotel, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!