“Fair value, a bit shabby but a reasonable nights rest.”
Review of The Castle Hotel

and 1 more site!
The Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coldstream
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Half a dozen or so of my friends and I were on a dive trip to St Abbs. We left it a bit late booking and would have ideally been a bit closer to the coast.
This hotel is reasonably comfortable although a bit shabby. Service is OK. The room and bathroom we had was clean enough and although next to the carpark was quiet at night.

The Full scottish breakfast is geneous along with yogurts, cereals, toast, juices etc. Waiting staff were very helpful and attentive.
The bar area is cosy enough however some of the locals seem a bit surly, the feeling was of being a stranger in a small local pub.
A few shops and restaurants close by add to the dining options.
A good sized car park had ample spaces for the rooms available.

The stay was Ok, but if we were in this area again I think I would see what else was availble first before booking.

Room Tip: The road is fairly busy so a room further towards the rear of the hotel are quieter.
1  Thank George C
There are newer reviews for The Castle Hotel

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I have read some reviews of this hotel, which are very harsh..it is very cheap and priced to reflect the fact that this is an old hotel, in need of loving care..but..staff are brilliant ..true to say some staff are odd..but can't do enough for you. I have stayed for business purposes in many hotels and guest houses,, some 5 star , right through to the 'pits'..this is not the latter, but it's a 'Marmite' job..enjoy the ambience of the local people and the honesty, if not professionalism of the staff..they will give you a grand time..right from the bar lady, to the chef, to the cleaning lady, who sometimes serves as the breakfast waitress. She might not get your order 100% right..the chef will come out and tell her off..but what a lovely woman! An experience at a fair price..go into this hotel with an open mind and a love of Faulty Towers..Enjoy!
PS...we went as part of a golf weekend..one of the group bought his wife..a great golfer, who beat all the men..if you are taking your wife, who needs a dresser / mirror..don't..rooms are basic..if the lady in your life is used to camping..OK..the lady above was naturally gorgeous..was practical and unpretentious..so the lack of a mirror etc wasn't a problem..might be if yours is a real Ladyeeee!!

Room Tip: Room No. 1..the only one I believe with a bath and the largest..Not the quietest of hotels with lorr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Dickodemint
Reviewed 11 September 2013

A really pretty place, wonderful food by staff with a smile, a must try!!!!
Situated on the high street - a perfect location and easy to find, didn't stay over night just stopped off for some lunch so couldn't comment on an overnight stay, toilets clean and and overall comfy place to stay and relax :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 779Claire
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I had visited Flodden Field (1513) nearly 500 years to the day of the battle and decided to cross the border to get some food before returning home. We drove through the town and the choices looked like the Besom or the Castle, so we parked by the pleasant looking building and went in. Food choices were limited to a chalkboard (no menus) and pizza menu. We were just looking for sandwiches, wraps, baguettes or toasties, all available on another menu, but food orders were not taken until 1800. We decided to wait just the ten minutes until this time, but when we tried to order were told the light bites menu was for lunchtimes only, not the evening. Not wanting pizza we had to order starters from the chalk board, i.e. leek and potato soup which came with - frustratingly - a baguette we were told we could not have filled with anything, and I ordered a trio of brie in breadcrumbs. We just wanted a snack or a light meal - this seemed to be beyond the ability of the Castle. Real ale was advertised but only one blonde beer was on offer, which was good, but a little more choice would have been welcome. Toilets were upstairs and not easy to find. Finally, our table was very sticky, and had clearly not been cleaned. Not sure anything I saw would encourage me to stay on a further trip.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Fantastic reception from Hollie and Liz, couldn't have wished for a more friendly pair to have a chat with over a couple of pints.
We sorted the world out, re-decorated the bar, decided how's the best way to cook eggs for brekky and generally had a good yak - it was an enjoyable evening and Liz is now a dab hand at poached eggs, so try some !
I'm still thinking navy blue and cream by the way Hollie ....
Room 7 is a good size and clean but like me, a little tired.
OK so its not the Ritz but its very well priced and to be honest, I felt I got far more than I paid for !
I definitely WILL be back and am looking forward to the quiz night and karaoke - as we arranged girls !

Room Tip: Room 7 was good
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Ronny48
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Allocated room 2 on arrival. It was so cramped and smelled of 'shake and vac', the bathroom was awful, dirty and broken, toilet seat loose, the back of the toilet was coming away. Went for a meal, returned to the room 2 hours later to be greeted by thousands of little black flies - covering the bed and ceiling. When I complained - the lady already knew of the problem. Why hadn't they done anything about it then??
Then given room 7, which was better, but apparently its the room used for guests with pets. The carpet was covered in dog hairs.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 2, better sill - find somewhere else.
1  Thank sensayuma2
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Went for a drink here with friends... So cannot comment on the actual hotel part.

It really needs a revamp... The bar maid was not overly friendly (some of the other staff might be, I don't know)

It has a relaxed atmosphere and It is cosey.

There is outdoor seating and it is close to lots of nice little walks etc.

I would pop in for a drink when you go by but it is not the best pub in Coldstream and I personally did not receive the warm welcome that others have.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coldstream
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
Travelodge Berwick upon Tweed
#3 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Queens Head Hotel
Queens Head Hotel
#2 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed
Tillmouth Park Country House Hotel
Tillmouth Park Country House Hot...
#1 of 2 in Cornhill-on-Tweed
Cross Keys Hotel
Cross Keys Hotel
#2 of 4 in Kelso
The Plough Hotel
The Plough Hotel
#1 of 2 in Yetholm

Been to The Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!