“Unique blend of 18th century and modern but... read on” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelton
Chicago
“Unique blend of 18th century and modern but... read on”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2013

My first impression was of a beautiful country manor home on the outskirts of York. The common areas in the main part of the hotel are beautiful giving one a taste of old world ambience. Our group was especially impressed when our quite delicious evening meal was set up in the beautiful linen room paneled in dark woods with a unique ceiling of draped cloth. We felt quite special. I was housed in the 'new' wing which was blandly contemporary in comparison to the grander style of the main manor but not horrible. And it was quite clean and neat. However, I had the same unendurable lumpy hard mattress as in every other Mercure hotel. After three hotels in a row with horrible mattresses, this alone convinces me that I never want to stay in another Mercure no matter how ambient the rest of the hotel is. Sleep is why I'm there. There was no A/C and the room was absolutely baking even though it was only about 4° outside. I would've thought that a 'new' wing on a hotel would have working individual guest room controls. I had to open my window the meager few inches allowed and use the fan that was fortunately provided. The bathroom fixtures are an outdated style even though they look quite new. I imagine that was a cost saving update but not a good one at all. There was a faucet each for hot and cold meaning that if you wanted a combination of the two you had to fill the sink which made it quite impossible to get the correct temperature. I also am not at all fond of washing my face from a sink full of water in a hotel because I have no idea how clean the housekeepers really got it nor what chemicals they used to get it there that are now getting on my face. After one unfortunate episode with a horrible infected rash after soaking in a hotel tub many years ago, I am really pretty shy about tempting fate again. I also had to turn the handles round and round and round before the water would even come on. Another guest mentioned that you might need the strength of The Hulk to do so - that was quite an apt analogy. The hot water was heated to near boiling stage so when I wanted to wash my hands without filling the sink I had to use the cold tap. And I realize it is perhaps more 'green' to notify guests of hotel policies with stickers on the bathroom tile but it really made the bathroom look like one in a budget roadside motel. Not very four star. After such an excellent dinner the night before, I was expecting a really lovely breakfast but it was rather sparse in choices. For me, a bit more fresh fruit would've done the trick but that is obviously personal taste. Postives: Lovely common facilities, free in-room Wifi and the property with beautiful lawns. I had no encounter with staff since I was on a coach tour so cannot attest to their efficiency or lack thereof. Negatives: horrible mattress, no room temperature control and outdated plumbing. I rarely travel with a tour but for this trip I was on a coach tour and after three significantly average Mercure hotels in a row, I can say that next time I travel to the UK, I will avoid them at all costs. I was really tempted to give just a three star rating for this property but realized that a great deal of that rating came from poor sleep over the last several nights. The rooms here are large and clean and the common areas are lovely and it is obvious that this hotel is striving to make a good impression so maybe 3.5 would be the perfect rating but I will go ahead an afford you four stars. For the gentlemen who reads and responds to these reviews: It is true that the majority of your reviews are four and five star, however, I would think that when adding the number of reviews and figuring out percentages - 15% of the reviews of this hotel fall in the 1-3 star rating. That is rather significant and I think that it points out that you have some work to do. A bit of an update to the guest rooms and I think you would have a most excellent hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the valuable feedback you have provided after your recent stay with us. Naturally, any areas of concern which have been brought to our attention will be addressed as a matter of urgency. We appreciate the time and effort you have taken in providing us with a review, and look forward to your return to our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Midlands UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2013

As a frequent traveller often staying in Accor Group hotels, I though the Mercure Fairfield would be a safe bet when recently visiting York with my family. The hotel location is very good and it has its own lovely grounds.

Unfortunately though this hotel did not live up to expectations; we found the reception staff were unfriendly and we had to wait an hour and a half for our room to be ready on arrival. The main reception, bar, library and dining areas are all well presented, however our room was very dated and was more suited to a 2 star property. The bedroom areas are generally very noisy. We also overhead a number of other guest encounters with staff (both reception and dining staff) and thought that the staff were quite rude in some instances and did not give the best impression of British customer service to international travellers.

An enjoyable trip despite the hotel which could do better.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto grounds have best view.
2 Thank funkypuppet21
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Nothing is more important to us than investing a considerable amount of time and effort in training our very dedicated staff, as this is reflected in the way our very valued guests are treated. We are constantly adding value to the service we deliver, and this is reflected by the majority of comments on this website. We look forward to your next visit to York, and thank you for your valued comments.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was very apprehensive at the thought of staying in another Mercure Hotel after past experiences with the same brand which were far from good. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The rooms were nice and spacious, very clean and had all the usual facilities. We had a ground floor room and therefore didn't feel like we could open the window for ventilation but thankfully there was a fan provided in the closet which we used during the night. Dinner was excellent. The food was delicious and the service was efficient. The variety at breakfast wasn't as extensive as previous but it was fine. I did find scraps of food on the plates and bowls though. In terms of location I can't comment as we only stayed the night and didn't have to go outside the hotel. Overall a very pleasant stay. My faith in Mercure is somewhat restored but not quite there yet but I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review about our hotel. Your sincere comments are very much appreciated, as we invest a considerable amount of time in ensuring our products and services offered are of the highest quality. We are very grateful for your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013

In response to "better suited as warden" we have just returned from Fairfield Manor, where we have been going for the last 7 years, and find Lauren ( Head waitress in the resturant) a most pleasant and efficient person along with the rest of the staff.I notice that you did finish your meal ! And how do you know what a warden in a high risk security jail lookes like !!!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very supportive review regarding your recent stay. We are confident in the abilities of all our very hardworking and passionate staff, and would like to thank you for your continued and loyal custom over the past seven years.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two nights with a grop of friends. Rooms were £23 for a double from an online late deal. We chose the hotel largely based on the price and although it was a little out of York, the difference in price from hotels in the city centre made the short distance no problem. Rooms were very clean. The entrance to the hotel is very nice and has plenty of space to sit around together if you're travelling in a larger group.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. We offer a fantastic array of very appealing online promotions throughout the year that are extremely good value for money. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel.
Sheffield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed here last night with my 8 year old son. We had a fantastic stay; room lovely, clean and quiet. Restaurant was very good - food extremely good. Used the pool which was just down the road from the hotel - very nice, quiet and a good size. But my son and I just have to comment on the staff at the hotel....they were outstanding; reception and restaurant staff were extremely professional, efficient, friendly and kind. They made my son and I so welcome; we wished we were staying longer. The hotel is 2 mins in the car away from the park and ride and absolutely perfect for visiting York. Really recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor at the back and it was very quiet.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest,

It is most certainly a pleasure in welcoming each and every guest to our hotel, safe in the knowledge that all your needs will be taken care of. It has been an absolute pleasure looking after both you and your son, and all the staff look forward to your imminent return. In addition, we would like to thank you for a very commendable review.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Easy to get to by road. Hotel staff welcoming. Room was fine & decent size. Plumbing worked fine. Architecturally the hotel looks weird when you arrive but do not be put off. All it needs is a few plastic brightly coloured staues to set it off.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

We are extremely pleased that you have taken the time to write to us regarding your recent stay at the hotel. It is important to us that every guest experience is thoroughly enjoyed, and we would like to thank you for a very complimentary review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
York Marriott Hotel
Hotel Noir
#1 of 3 in Clifton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,026 reviews
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!