“Nice quiet hotel with easy access to York and beyond”

Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Skelton
“Nice quiet hotel with easy access to York and beyond”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed here June 2013 for 3 nights in a Privilege room. We were looking for somewhere close to York that offered a good check out time (by 12 noon). The room was bigger than I expected and the staff were lovely. Lots of parking at the hotel, we had planned to use the park and ride which is a walk-able distance away but opted to drive instead. Breakfast offered a range of cereal, yoghurt, croissants and fruit with the usual cooked options on a help yourself buffet basis. We did not eat in the restaurant for meals as we planned activities away from the hotel. However, the menu was not exciting and did not appeal so just as well we ate elsewhere. The hotel was very clean and I could not fault the housekeeping staff. I would stay here again. The only improvements would be to change the dinner menu in the restaurant and lower the bar prices as it was expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MrsKSutherland
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to improve our service based on the feedback we receive, and would like to assure you that your comments will help us a great deal in attaining the five star level of service we are renowned for.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
London
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed here during the Easter holiday period after getting a great 3 day break deal on the Last Minute.com website, plus also read the reviews on the tripadvisor website. Stayed for 3 nights in a standard room which was good, roomy, comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. Did have breakfast one morning and booked this in advance as this did reduce the cost, plenty of food and drink choices. Did also have a bit of trouble with the door key and had have it re-programmed everyday, the hotel is in need of a bit of a make over but it still a nice hotel to stay at and also easy to locate and get to.
The hotel is situated close to the Park and Ride which travels directly into York City Centre at a very reasonable price, you can park your car in their car park and as far as we are concerned this is a must do as the car park are very costly. We visited the National Railway Museum, Yorvik Exhitbition, York Minister as well as walked the Boundary Castle Walls and all are well worth a visit. Also visited the Shopping Mall on the outskirts of York which was Ok.

Room Tip: Get your key re-programmed every time you enter back in the hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malcky
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. The hotel has recently launched a new menu, in addition to an array of offers. We would like to thank you for the kind comments related to your stay with us over the Easter weekend, and look forward to your return to our hotel.
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2013

York was heavily booked, so as an Australian couple in their 60s we decided to stay out of the city at the Mercure. The price was reasonable and we were, in hindsight, delighted by our choice. The hotel offered excellent value for money. It was easy to find on the A19, there was plenty of free parking and lovely countryside views. The lobby was spacious and had large, comfortable leather lounges and a nice bar area at the rear. Checkin was quick, friendly and efficient, as was checkout. The room was very spacious, clean and nicely fitted out. The bed was large, very comfortable and the pillows were soft. Bathroom was clean and the shower over the bath worked well, though there was only one large towel on the rail (the other was hidden in the cupboard). Even though it was heavily booked and on a main road, the room was very quiet and we didn't even hear noise from the corridor in the early morning. The 12pm checkout is very generous, though there are no onsite fitness facilities.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, Room 305
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for an extremely positive review with regards to your recent stay. We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your time with us, as well as enjoying all the facilities on offer. As your feedback is important to us in improving our service, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed here at a business conference. The venue's meeting room was meant to be air conditioned but it took the hotel considerable time to attend to a dodgy system which failed to bring the temperature to an acceptable level.

The catering was pretty dire throughout the two days, breakfast was acceptable, but the sandwich lunches and evening meal were not.

We were not a really heavy drinking party, but there were about twenty enjoying a few pints and the odd bottle of wine when at 2245hrs it was announced that the bar would close at 2300hrs. All were staying at the hotel and the manner of the announcement was brusque to say the least. We had created no trouble or rowdiness. It was later explained that a night porter could provide extra drinks later.

The bedroom was too hot for a good night's sleep. The weather was not that warm, just the heating too high.

Look elsewhere if you are arranging a conference in this fine city.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JonathanCook44
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Guest,

The areas of concern you have brought to our attention have been addressed as a matter of urgency. Moreover, the hotel runs a very efficient food and beverage service, and we would like to apologise for the manner in which our closing times were communicated to you, as the very valued custom provided to our hotel is of paramount importance to us. We would like to thank you for writing a review about the hotel, and would like to assure you that the problem with the air conditioning has now been resolved.
Chicago
Reviewed 14 June 2013

My first impression was of a beautiful country manor home on the outskirts of York. The common areas in the main part of the hotel are beautiful giving one a taste of old world ambience. Our group was especially impressed when our quite delicious evening meal was set up in the beautiful linen room paneled in dark woods with a unique ceiling of draped cloth. We felt quite special. I was housed in the 'new' wing which was blandly contemporary in comparison to the grander style of the main manor but not horrible. And it was quite clean and neat. However, I had the same unendurable lumpy hard mattress as in every other Mercure hotel. After three hotels in a row with horrible mattresses, this alone convinces me that I never want to stay in another Mercure no matter how ambient the rest of the hotel is. Sleep is why I'm there. There was no A/C and the room was absolutely baking even though it was only about 4° outside. I would've thought that a 'new' wing on a hotel would have working individual guest room controls. I had to open my window the meager few inches allowed and use the fan that was fortunately provided. The bathroom fixtures are an outdated style even though they look quite new. I imagine that was a cost saving update but not a good one at all. There was a faucet each for hot and cold meaning that if you wanted a combination of the two you had to fill the sink which made it quite impossible to get the correct temperature. I also am not at all fond of washing my face from a sink full of water in a hotel because I have no idea how clean the housekeepers really got it nor what chemicals they used to get it there that are now getting on my face. After one unfortunate episode with a horrible infected rash after soaking in a hotel tub many years ago, I am really pretty shy about tempting fate again. I also had to turn the handles round and round and round before the water would even come on. Another guest mentioned that you might need the strength of The Hulk to do so - that was quite an apt analogy. The hot water was heated to near boiling stage so when I wanted to wash my hands without filling the sink I had to use the cold tap. And I realize it is perhaps more 'green' to notify guests of hotel policies with stickers on the bathroom tile but it really made the bathroom look like one in a budget roadside motel. Not very four star. After such an excellent dinner the night before, I was expecting a really lovely breakfast but it was rather sparse in choices. For me, a bit more fresh fruit would've done the trick but that is obviously personal taste. Postives: Lovely common facilities, free in-room Wifi and the property with beautiful lawns. I had no encounter with staff since I was on a coach tour so cannot attest to their efficiency or lack thereof. Negatives: horrible mattress, no room temperature control and outdated plumbing. I rarely travel with a tour but for this trip I was on a coach tour and after three significantly average Mercure hotels in a row, I can say that next time I travel to the UK, I will avoid them at all costs. I was really tempted to give just a three star rating for this property but realized that a great deal of that rating came from poor sleep over the last several nights. The rooms here are large and clean and the common areas are lovely and it is obvious that this hotel is striving to make a good impression so maybe 3.5 would be the perfect rating but I will go ahead an afford you four stars. For the gentlemen who reads and responds to these reviews: It is true that the majority of your reviews are four and five star, however, I would think that when adding the number of reviews and figuring out percentages - 15% of the reviews of this hotel fall in the 1-3 star rating. That is rather significant and I think that it points out that you have some work to do. A bit of an update to the guest rooms and I think you would have a most excellent hotel.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the valuable feedback you have provided after your recent stay with us. Naturally, any areas of concern which have been brought to our attention will be addressed as a matter of urgency. We appreciate the time and effort you have taken in providing us with a review, and look forward to your return to our hotel.
Midlands UK
Reviewed 11 June 2013

As a frequent traveller often staying in Accor Group hotels, I though the Mercure Fairfield would be a safe bet when recently visiting York with my family. The hotel location is very good and it has its own lovely grounds.

Unfortunately though this hotel did not live up to expectations; we found the reception staff were unfriendly and we had to wait an hour and a half for our room to be ready on arrival. The main reception, bar, library and dining areas are all well presented, however our room was very dated and was more suited to a 2 star property. The bedroom areas are generally very noisy. We also overhead a number of other guest encounters with staff (both reception and dining staff) and thought that the staff were quite rude in some instances and did not give the best impression of British customer service to international travellers.

An enjoyable trip despite the hotel which could do better.

Room Tip: Rooms looking onto grounds have best view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank funkypuppet21
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. Nothing is more important to us than investing a considerable amount of time and effort in training our very dedicated staff, as this is reflected in the way our very valued guests are treated. We are constantly adding value to the service we deliver, and this is reflected by the majority of comments on this website. We look forward to your next visit to York, and thank you for your valued comments.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I was very apprehensive at the thought of staying in another Mercure Hotel after past experiences with the same brand which were far from good. Thankfully I was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The rooms were nice and spacious, very clean and had all the usual facilities. We had a ground floor room and therefore didn't feel like we could open the window for ventilation but thankfully there was a fan provided in the closet which we used during the night. Dinner was excellent. The food was delicious and the service was efficient. The variety at breakfast wasn't as extensive as previous but it was fine. I did find scraps of food on the plates and bowls though. In terms of location I can't comment as we only stayed the night and didn't have to go outside the hotel. Overall a very pleasant stay. My faith in Mercure is somewhat restored but not quite there yet but I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Kevin M, General Manager at Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review about our hotel. Your sincere comments are very much appreciated, as we invest a considerable amount of time in ensuring our products and services offered are of the highest quality. We are very grateful for your feedback, and look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skelton
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Hotel Noir
#1 of 2 in Clifton
York Marriott Hotel
Holiday Inn Express York

Been to Mercure York Fairfield Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!